Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Martinelli Red Card 14:08 - Feb 11 with 2466 viewsjp_itfc

Apologies if this has been mentioned already.

A great piece of refereeing IMO, both bookable offences in my book. I'm sure there is a debate to be had. What are your thoughts?
Martinelli Red Card on 14:14 - Feb 11 with 2137 viewsGarv

Spot on. Unless you're an Arsenal fan and obviously biased I don't see why you'd disagree with what Oliver did.

Players constantly think they can get away with stopping the opposition by fouling, probably because 'fouling' is now tactical, and pundits and managers praise it.

It's just cheating, and he cheats twice in the space of about 10 seconds. He also stops the player from (probably) sending a cross into the box. No reason not to send him off.

I have sympathy with players when they've made an honest tackle, and it's deemed excessive or dangerous (when watched in ultra slow motion), but when someone has just made a clear effort to stop his opponent by whatever means, you can't just expect to get away with it just because it's the norm.

edit: fouling
[Post edited 11 Feb 2022 15:41]

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Martinelli Red Card on 14:14 - Feb 11 with 2130 viewsbackwaywhen

Need to see both before commenting
Martinelli Red Card on 14:24 - Feb 11 with 2078 viewsMattinLondon

I don’t understand why it’s being deemed ‘controversial’.

It’s common to hear a commentator praising the ref for allowing play to continue and then going back to the incident to yellow card the offender. The referee allowed play to continue where the offender committed another yellow card offence - in the eyes of the referee.

Martin Keown stated that the player should not have been sent off as he had no idea that he was going to be yellow carded for the first offence. I have no sympathy for this viewpoint as Martinelli knew that when he tried to delay the throw in that he was running the risk of being booked.

Saying that I am surprised that he was sent-off as referees tend to be a bit more hesitant in sending off a player so soon after he was booked.
Martinelli Red Card on 14:25 - Feb 11 with 2069 viewsMattinLondon

Martinelli Red Card on 14:14 - Feb 11 by backwaywhen

Need to see both before commenting

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/12538665/martinellis-two-yellow-cards-in-f
Martinelli Red Card on 14:40 - Feb 11 with 1984 viewsSitfcB

Agree. Not a lot of referees have the balls to do it.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Martinelli Red Card on 14:42 - Feb 11 with 1968 viewsIllinoisblue

Martinelli Red Card on 14:40 - Feb 11 by SitfcB

Agree. Not a lot of referees have the balls to do it.

A statue waiting to be built to honour the first ref to send a goalkeeper off for time wasting.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Martinelli Red Card on 14:44 - Feb 11 with 1951 viewsKieran_Knows

What about the foul throw that the Wolves player made prior to Martinelli trying to stop him though?

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Martinelli Red Card on 14:50 - Feb 11 with 1912 viewsGarv

Martinelli Red Card on 14:44 - Feb 11 by Kieran_Knows

What about the foul throw that the Wolves player made prior to Martinelli trying to stop him though?

He literally gets shoved as he's trying to take it.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Login to get fewer ads

Martinelli Red Card on 15:32 - Feb 11 with 1769 viewsDeano69

About time there were decisions that favoured the victim rather than the perpetrator.

A single yellow for the initial foul by stopping play, losing the advantage and allowing the team that fouled the time to regroup would have been their gain.

If this decision were overruled/overturned, it would mean the ability/power to allow play to continue due to the advantage, would be pointless.

Surely a ref can give a yellow card whenever he likes regardless of it being in quick succession. Genuinely cant see what the issue is with all this, glad he had the minerals to do it.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Martinelli Red Card on 15:33 - Feb 11 with 1766 viewshype313

Martinelli Red Card on 14:50 - Feb 11 by Garv

Indeed, hardly fair calling a foul throw when someone pushes you!

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Martinelli Red Card on 15:43 - Feb 11 with 1716 viewsEwan_Oozami

Martinelli Red Card on 15:32 - Feb 11 by Deano69

About time there were decisions that favoured the victim rather than the perpetrator.

A single yellow for the initial foul by stopping play, losing the advantage and allowing the team that fouled the time to regroup would have been their gain.

If this decision were overruled/overturned, it would mean the ability/power to allow play to continue due to the advantage, would be pointless.

Surely a ref can give a yellow card whenever he likes regardless of it being in quick succession. Genuinely cant see what the issue is with all this, glad he had the minerals to do it.

If the ref had stopped play and given the first red card - the second probably wouldn't have happened.

If this is going to happen more often , then the idea of a sin bin needs be resurrected I'd say!

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Martinelli Red Card on 15:43 - Feb 11 with 1721 viewsberkstractorboy

Whilst I agree both fouls are yellow cards I disagree with the way it was handled. A yellow card is a caution, a warning that you will be sent off of another foul/offence worthy of a yellow card. So Martinelli was not afforded that caution/warning which had he got the 1st may not have made such a cynical push. If the referee was going to caution for the1st offence maybe stop the game and give him that, but then the argument is to allow play to continue as much as possible and you probably don't expect the same player to make another cautionable offence in the same move!

Difficult for the referee I think and in truth could argue Martinelli should have known the 1st shove could be a yellow before the 2nd barging of a player. Not sure if the laws of the game cover such a scenario specifically.
Martinelli Red Card on 16:06 - Feb 11 with 1636 viewsMattinLondon

Martinelli Red Card on 15:43 - Feb 11 by berkstractorboy

Whilst I agree both fouls are yellow cards I disagree with the way it was handled. A yellow card is a caution, a warning that you will be sent off of another foul/offence worthy of a yellow card. So Martinelli was not afforded that caution/warning which had he got the 1st may not have made such a cynical push. If the referee was going to caution for the1st offence maybe stop the game and give him that, but then the argument is to allow play to continue as much as possible and you probably don't expect the same player to make another cautionable offence in the same move!

Difficult for the referee I think and in truth could argue Martinelli should have known the 1st shove could be a yellow before the 2nd barging of a player. Not sure if the laws of the game cover such a scenario specifically.

I think that if we want a free-flowing game then the referee officiated in the proper manner. The player committed two yellow card offences and so has to take responsibility for his actions.

Im pretty sure that a ref only has to stop player if an offence is deemed dangerous play but I could well be wrong.

Im not a qualified referee so I’m unsure of ‘should’ have been done.
Martinelli Red Card on 16:40 - Feb 11 with 1552 viewsberkstractorboy

Martinelli Red Card on 16:06 - Feb 11 by MattinLondon

I think that if we want a free-flowing game then the referee officiated in the proper manner. The player committed two yellow card offences and so has to take responsibility for his actions.

Im pretty sure that a ref only has to stop player if an offence is deemed dangerous play but I could well be wrong.

Im not a qualified referee so I’m unsure of ‘should’ have been done.

I can see that and we do want free flowing that's why its difficult. Think I am making excuses for Martinelli really and the reality as you say is players need to be aware.

Probably should applaud the ref for this and set an example to other players.

Now to stop the diving for freekicks ...
Martinelli Red Card on 16:43 - Feb 11 with 1548 viewsZx1988

If it had been a marginal tackle then I would agree with your point (and I dare say that the referee may have acted differently).

Given that both incidents were cynical and intentional, and the sort of thing that any professional player should know will incur a yellow card, I have no sympathy for Martinelli here.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Martinelli Red Card on 16:53 - Feb 11 with 1510 viewsbluelagos

Am a bit on the fence really.

Both cards were justified. But one benefit of a yellow is so that a player knows that he needs to tone it down/behave or he could then get a red.

On balance I'd have just given the one - but am not going to criticise the ref. The only person who did something stupid here was the player.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Martinelli Red Card on 19:50 - Feb 11 with 1322 viewsPendejo

The only thing controversial in my humble opinion is that he should have been sent off straight red for that shove... Isn't "roughing" an offence?

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Martinelli Red Card on 20:04 - Feb 11 with 1299 viewsjeera

But that's just saying he might not have committed the second offence if he'd known he wasn't going to get away with it.

He's not a child. He doesn't need telling it's not on.
[Post edited 11 Feb 2022 20:15]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Martinelli Red Card on 20:56 - Feb 11 with 1230 viewsSwansea_Blue

Martinelli Red Card on 14:14 - Feb 11 by Garv

Spot on. Unless you're an Arsenal fan and obviously biased I don't see why you'd disagree with what Oliver did.

Players constantly think they can get away with stopping the opposition by fouling, probably because 'fouling' is now tactical, and pundits and managers praise it.

It's just cheating, and he cheats twice in the space of about 10 seconds. He also stops the player from (probably) sending a cross into the box. No reason not to send him off.

I have sympathy with players when they've made an honest tackle, and it's deemed excessive or dangerous (when watched in ultra slow motion), but when someone has just made a clear effort to stop his opponent by whatever means, you can't just expect to get away with it just because it's the norm.

edit: fouling
[Post edited 11 Feb 2022 15:41]

Innit. Ideally, I’d like to see more leniency towards players who make genuine mistakes when mistiming tackles and for them to hammer the crap out of players blatantly cheating, er I mean showing gamesmanship. Mind you, that wouldn’t help Morsy.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Martinelli Red Card on 22:01 - Feb 11 with 1154 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Martinelli Red Card on 14:50 - Feb 11 by Garv

But, if that means the throw is not legitimate then the referee should not have allowed play on.

I think in 99% of cases, if the referee is booking the player for obstructing the throw he does not allow the advantage.

I get the fact that the referee has tried to let the game flow. However, I think he should either have blown and carded for the obstructing the throw and given a free kick or let it go and simply booked him for the foul that was given and spoken to him about how he easily could have booked for the first offence too.

Imagine another scenario where the player fouls a player but the ball breaks for another opposition player who the player making the initial foul manages to grab the shirt of to prevent him getting away. Would this offending player get a yellow card for the initial foul and then a second one for pulling this shirt of the second player? It seems highly unlikely. The short bit of time between the two incidents without the card having been shown makes it seem harsh at least.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Martinelli Red Card on 08:07 - Feb 12 with 1017 viewsEly_Blue

I disagree with you.

Regarding the 2 separate incidents in isolation they are both yellow card incidents with no “referees judgement” based on was it a bootable foul or not. The first was an attempt to stop the throw being taken and as with doing the same at free kicks/goal kicks is punishable with a yellow card, the 2nd incident is a deliberate foul to stop the attacker with no intention to play the ball, again a yellow card offence.

There was no doubt that both incidents are and should be punished with a yellow card, the notion that the player never had chance to accept the first “caution” is ridiculous to even suggest. The ref tried to give an advantage to the attacking team in the first instance, and rightly so but had no option but to do what he did in my opinion

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Martinelli Red Card on 08:33 - Feb 12 with 977 viewsonceablue

Michael Oliver - best referee by a mile

Absolutely right decision cheating gooner
Martinelli Red Card on 08:40 - Feb 12 with 967 viewsSharkey

In 2019 the ref booked the wrong player in a Colchester game. After the game he corrected this and re-directed the card to the actual culprit, central defender Luke Prosser. But Prosser had also been booked much later in the game, and the FA gave him a ban for a red card.

Colchester argued that this was unfair, especially pointing out exactly what you do, that a first yellow is called a 'caution' for a reason. The FA did not accept this argument and the ban stood.

(If I remember rightly, I think the FA also implied that Colchester were in the wrong to let the wrong player get booked in the first place.)
Martinelli Red Card on 10:00 - Feb 12 with 914 viewsSamWhiteUK

Yep, no problem with this. In fact, I have actually wondered before if this was possible.

Can a game be called back for a straight red worthy tackle, and the player sent off? Can you play advantage from a tackle worthy of a straight red?
Martinelli Red Card on 12:18 - Feb 12 with 846 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Martinelli Red Card on 08:40 - Feb 12 by Sharkey

In 2019 the ref booked the wrong player in a Colchester game. After the game he corrected this and re-directed the card to the actual culprit, central defender Luke Prosser. But Prosser had also been booked much later in the game, and the FA gave him a ban for a red card.

Colchester argued that this was unfair, especially pointing out exactly what you do, that a first yellow is called a 'caution' for a reason. The FA did not accept this argument and the ban stood.

(If I remember rightly, I think the FA also implied that Colchester were in the wrong to let the wrong player get booked in the first place.)

Indeed. The last statement goes against the warning argument. The player knew he had been lucky to escape the first booking due to it going to the wrong player. It was therefore reasonable to anticipate the retrospective correction.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024