Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A very good mate of mine who is a true blue 17:59 - Mar 19 with 16393 viewshomer_123

was at the game today...having tested positive via PCR for Covid.

I'm lost for words...

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 21:24 - Mar 20 with 1822 viewsRyorry

A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 21:15 - Mar 20 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

That game was on the 11th March. The world had not shut down yet, it was about to. You’ve already claimed it was April. If you’re telling covid definitely wasn’t in Liverpool at that point then it’s you that has then logic problem.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2022 21:17]

My typo makes little difference - even at that time in March 2020 there were protests from many UK doctors, & quite an outcry generally saying that no way should the game be allowed to go ahead. And I certainly didn't say "if you’re telling covid definitely wasn’t in Liverpool at that point".

I'm out now in terms of discussing it with you - as I said earlier, if you wouldn't even listen to the majority of your family & friends, who disagree with you on this, then you're not going to budge from your position now.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2022 21:28]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 21:29 - Mar 20 with 1803 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 21:24 - Mar 20 by Ryorry

My typo makes little difference - even at that time in March 2020 there were protests from many UK doctors, & quite an outcry generally saying that no way should the game be allowed to go ahead. And I certainly didn't say "if you’re telling covid definitely wasn’t in Liverpool at that point".

I'm out now in terms of discussing it with you - as I said earlier, if you wouldn't even listen to the majority of your family & friends, who disagree with you on this, then you're not going to budge from your position now.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2022 21:28]

It’s interesting when having an adult discussion people actually want to disengage when the facts don't support their narrative. Made little difference is utter tosh, everything changed that week.

I have indeed noticed a difference of opinion on the pandemic on both sides of the Atlantic but people are coming round now it seems.
A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 21:40 - Mar 20 with 1782 viewsRyorry

A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 21:29 - Mar 20 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

It’s interesting when having an adult discussion people actually want to disengage when the facts don't support their narrative. Made little difference is utter tosh, everything changed that week.

I have indeed noticed a difference of opinion on the pandemic on both sides of the Atlantic but people are coming round now it seems.

No, I simply repeated what I'd said earlier re there being no point continuing the discussion with you because of what you yourself had previously admitted re the majority of your own friends and family disagreeing with you, & (edit) if you weren't influenced by them, you're hardly likely to be influenced by me (end of edit). You're obviously in the minority in your rejection of the facts in the discussion circle here & amongst your rellies/friends.

Good night.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2022 21:52]

A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 21:46 - Mar 20 with 1771 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 21:40 - Mar 20 by Ryorry

No, I simply repeated what I'd said earlier re there being no point continuing the discussion with you because of what you yourself had previously admitted re the majority of your own friends and family disagreeing with you, & (edit) if you weren't influenced by them, you're hardly likely to be influenced by me (end of edit). You're obviously in the minority in your rejection of the facts in the discussion circle here & amongst your rellies/friends.

Good night.
[Post edited 20 Mar 2022 21:52]

No, I was just pointing out there was a difference of opinion with my circles that seemed to be solely based on Geography, which I thought was interesting. Luckily we are all grown up enough that it doesn’t cause a problem.

I never expected to sync with the majority on TWTD so that doesn’t concern me too much!

Have a good night yourself.
A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 00:08 - Mar 21 with 1672 viewsberkstractorboy

A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 21:04 - Mar 20 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

There was less people in critical care in the UK this winter than pre pandemic.

OK I totally missed the point then of all the medical care workers talking about the vast majority of covid patients in ICU with covid being non-vaccinated.
A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 00:12 - Mar 21 with 1662 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 00:08 - Mar 21 by berkstractorboy

OK I totally missed the point then of all the medical care workers talking about the vast majority of covid patients in ICU with covid being non-vaccinated.

Also incorrect, check the ONS data rather than just a news bulletin at a hospital.

More people in CC this winter were vaccinated rather than unvaccinated. However, proportionally a a greater number of unvaccinated than vaccinated were in CC (which is unsurprising given the vast majority of people in the UK are vaccinated). On sheer numbers though your statement is actually incorrect.
A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 07:19 - Mar 21 with 1576 viewsGlasgowBlue

A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 20:49 - Mar 20 by Lord_Lucan

Whitty is reported to have said - most of the imported infections were skiing Brits coming back from holiday in Italy and that shutting down travel would not have made any difference of note. He went on to say that if you suppress the first wave too much then you are going to be in bigger trouble come the second wave.

SAGE advice was not to lockdown at the time, don’t wear masks, don’t shut the borders and allow mass gatherings. It’s in the SAGE minutes and Whitty, Valance and Harries went on camera to say this.

They then got data to show that Covid was far more prevalent in the country than had previously been thought and we went into a lockdown.

I dint believe that the government have been following the science for some time, probably since July 2020, but in March 2020 they were.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2022 7:20]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 07:44 - Mar 21 with 1566 viewsDJR

One thing this thread has shown is just how divisive Covid has become. The same is true in the US with bells on. It doesn't have to be this way. Other countries, particularly in the far east, have learned from their experiences but I am not sure this is the case in this country. It doesn't have to be black and white, ie. lockdown or no restrictions, with nothing in between. We could, for example, encourage and fund better ventilation in pubs and offices, make it a legal requirement to self-isolate, maintain and properly fund statutory sick pay for Covid absences, retain free Covid tests, mandate masks in certain settings such as public transport, continue funding the Zoe and React studies, and fully maintain the ONS Infection Survey . None of this would really interfere with people's freedom but instead we have given up. Sadly, much of this is driven by Johnson's desire to save his job, and probably also boost his chances of winning the next General Election because the "no restrictions" narrative is popular. Sunak's desire to cut the costs of Covid measures, and cut taxes before the election, also plays a big part.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2022 7:56]
Login to get fewer ads

A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 09:27 - Mar 21 with 1487 viewsberkstractorboy

A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 00:12 - Mar 21 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Also incorrect, check the ONS data rather than just a news bulletin at a hospital.

More people in CC this winter were vaccinated rather than unvaccinated. However, proportionally a a greater number of unvaccinated than vaccinated were in CC (which is unsurprising given the vast majority of people in the UK are vaccinated). On sheer numbers though your statement is actually incorrect.

Thanks I will check the data. I would hope that the mainstream media would get the facts right but as with all news these days it's getting harder to find the real truth!
A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 10:22 - Mar 21 with 1449 viewsRyorry

A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 07:44 - Mar 21 by DJR

One thing this thread has shown is just how divisive Covid has become. The same is true in the US with bells on. It doesn't have to be this way. Other countries, particularly in the far east, have learned from their experiences but I am not sure this is the case in this country. It doesn't have to be black and white, ie. lockdown or no restrictions, with nothing in between. We could, for example, encourage and fund better ventilation in pubs and offices, make it a legal requirement to self-isolate, maintain and properly fund statutory sick pay for Covid absences, retain free Covid tests, mandate masks in certain settings such as public transport, continue funding the Zoe and React studies, and fully maintain the ONS Infection Survey . None of this would really interfere with people's freedom but instead we have given up. Sadly, much of this is driven by Johnson's desire to save his job, and probably also boost his chances of winning the next General Election because the "no restrictions" narrative is popular. Sunak's desire to cut the costs of Covid measures, and cut taxes before the election, also plays a big part.

(thread)

A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 10:59 - Mar 21 with 1413 viewstractorshark

A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 14:31 - Mar 20 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Firstly I hope you feel better! Covid seems to affect people all kinds of ways, many I know of your age that got the virus before vaccines were available had it much milder than you but there can be all kinds of factors involved. So good luck with the recovery.

I am sure though as a 65 year old 2 years in you would not be advocating of locking down our youth, virtual university education, travel bans etc? There really is no way of 100% avoiding the virus (as your experience kinds of proves) and there obviously isn't an endless pot of money to support people that need it now.

Another point I would make is later in life people have had their experiences and years tick along. Kids at school, Young adults going to university, their first job in the city etc, those are times they can not get back (they'll be paying for it for decades to come as well). So in kind of our where we are now.

I hope you feel better.

I just want to clarify something please…

Are you suggesting we throw the elderly or vulnerable under the bus just so the youth of today can enjoy their university experience, travel and a good night out?

I’m not advocating a complete shutdown of the country but having gone through a pretty nasty experience with Covid over the past few weeks, I would say it is morally correct and not unreasonable to adhere to an isolation period if you know you’ve got Covid. Just because you’ve got mild symptoms doesn’t mean someone else, including your family, won’t suffer far more severely.

Anyone who thinks the decision to scrap that rule was based solely on medical science and not political desperation is very naive.

It certainly doesn’t sit comfortably with me that we play Russian roulette with the 70+ brigade just because they have had a good innings.

And by the way when someone uses the words ‘it doesn’t fit the narrative’ it’s just a cheap trick to suggest you’re being victimised and ignored. You’re not, you’re entitled to an opinion as is every one else. If theirs doesn’t match yours, that’s life.
But what I’ve found more often than not is when you disagree with an overwhelming majority of people, the odds tend to favour you being in the wrong. But that’s merely my opinion.
A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 11:17 - Mar 21 with 1398 viewsRyorry

A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 10:59 - Mar 21 by tractorshark

Are you suggesting we throw the elderly or vulnerable under the bus just so the youth of today can enjoy their university experience, travel and a good night out?

I’m not advocating a complete shutdown of the country but having gone through a pretty nasty experience with Covid over the past few weeks, I would say it is morally correct and not unreasonable to adhere to an isolation period if you know you’ve got Covid. Just because you’ve got mild symptoms doesn’t mean someone else, including your family, won’t suffer far more severely.

Anyone who thinks the decision to scrap that rule was based solely on medical science and not political desperation is very naive.

It certainly doesn’t sit comfortably with me that we play Russian roulette with the 70+ brigade just because they have had a good innings.

And by the way when someone uses the words ‘it doesn’t fit the narrative’ it’s just a cheap trick to suggest you’re being victimised and ignored. You’re not, you’re entitled to an opinion as is every one else. If theirs doesn’t match yours, that’s life.
But what I’ve found more often than not is when you disagree with an overwhelming majority of people, the odds tend to favour you being in the wrong. But that’s merely my opinion.

It's not just elderly or vulnerable people either, it's the huge number of kids & youngsters who do get Covid & are very badly affected, either immediately or with Long Covid.

Plus we obviously still don't know the long-term after-effects for those who get Covid mildly & seem to recover quickly - I linked a large-sample peer-reviewed study t'other day showing a 20% increase in serious heart problems for those in that category. There'll be more such studies going on.

A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 11:32 - Mar 21 with 1365 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

This post sums up this thread, and the whole topic, beautifully.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 11:52 - Mar 21 with 1345 viewsRyorry

Interesting article - more reasons not to "let Covid rip", including that such a policy actually damages economies in the long-term -

https://jessicawildfire.substack.com/p/covid-is-making-us-stupid-and-were?s=r

A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 12:01 - Mar 21 with 1318 viewsitfcjoe

A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 07:19 - Mar 21 by GlasgowBlue

SAGE advice was not to lockdown at the time, don’t wear masks, don’t shut the borders and allow mass gatherings. It’s in the SAGE minutes and Whitty, Valance and Harries went on camera to say this.

They then got data to show that Covid was far more prevalent in the country than had previously been thought and we went into a lockdown.

I dint believe that the government have been following the science for some time, probably since July 2020, but in March 2020 they were.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2022 7:20]

Didn't the Sunday Times Insight investigation report something like an 8 day gam between deciding that we had to lockdown and then doing it which saw cases rise from something like 15k to 200k - and basically we were the country that went into lockdown with the most community cases throiughout the world.

We seemed to always go in to a lockdown too late, everyone knew it was needed but we wouldn't pull the trigger which meant they ended up being longer

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 12:05 - Mar 21 with 1315 viewsitfcjoe

A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 07:44 - Mar 21 by DJR

The problem with the continuing free tests is the cost, and that those who don't want to test won't do - whether it is inherent selfishness or just not able to financially afford to miss time of work etc. And then you get those on the other side who test to excess and are just a waste of resource.

But I do agree with the main thrust - that there should be a more community out look on this - helping people to isolate if they have it financially, allowing people to test when they need to, keep foing with the (genuinely world leading) data collection etc.

Instead, no lessons have seemingly been learned

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 12:14 - Mar 21 with 1276 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 12:05 - Mar 21 by itfcjoe

The problem with the continuing free tests is the cost, and that those who don't want to test won't do - whether it is inherent selfishness or just not able to financially afford to miss time of work etc. And then you get those on the other side who test to excess and are just a waste of resource.

But I do agree with the main thrust - that there should be a more community out look on this - helping people to isolate if they have it financially, allowing people to test when they need to, keep foing with the (genuinely world leading) data collection etc.

Instead, no lessons have seemingly been learned

We live in a selfish society.

A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 14:24 - Mar 21 with 1184 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Ok it appears the entire thread is cross purposes if that is what you have taken from it. I was not advocating the guy that tested positive should have gone to the game. If you feel sick with symptoms isolate until you feel better. If you had to get a positive result obviously it would not be advisable to go out. If you were going to do that anyway, why are you taking the test in the first place?

I am talking about Covid policy, today March 2022.

Who exactly am I throwing under the bus? We have the vaccines that protect the vulnerable from serious illness and death, correct? The current segment of the UK populations with antibodies is 98%. I mention the kids because they can't get those years back and have already scarified a lot. So they should not be doing so any more with the current state of play, at all. Their will be long lasting effects for our young.

In Terms of ONS data today

- What is the current survival rates for contradicting Covid 19?
- What are the current hospitalizations rates for contracting Covid 19?

The answer is miniscule.

The good news is if people want to exercise more individual caution then generally they can. What I don't get is people saying thinking so considerate but then piling into a football match and the pub afterwards. It was the same people who always went to the pub as soon as they re-opened but because they were wearing a mask on the tube thought they were doing their bit. If people were that concerned they'd not go out anyway.

Covid is everywhere, you'll likely get it at some point if you haven't already. We can no longer shut down industries, operate in a totally virtual environment or spend billions on testing healthy people. I'd argue that should have been the way for most of the western world in 2021 once vulnerable people had a level of protection and we had much better understanding of how deadly this thing. The measures (especially once we got to Omicron) to prevent spread were completely useless. See the infection count in France per day with vaccine passports, mask mandates, travel bans etc. Still through the roof.

I was living in a place where that had no restrictions since about Feb 2021, nothing happened apart from the odd fluctuation in cases (same as everywhere), people lived their life, filled sports arenas went to indoor restaurants etc. The local health services was fine. CDC in fact lifted the mask ban for vaccinated people a few months later. Then half backtracked and said local authorities can deiced. The mixed messaging from the scientific community does not help much in regards to these debates.

Anyway, I am fine if people disagreeing but being but saying I don't care about anyone's health because I have a different opinion on policy seems a bit much two years in. Especially when everyone is doing basically the same stuff as me anyway. Peace!
A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 14:42 - Mar 21 with 1161 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 14:24 - Mar 21 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Ok it appears the entire thread is cross purposes if that is what you have taken from it. I was not advocating the guy that tested positive should have gone to the game. If you feel sick with symptoms isolate until you feel better. If you had to get a positive result obviously it would not be advisable to go out. If you were going to do that anyway, why are you taking the test in the first place?

I am talking about Covid policy, today March 2022.

Who exactly am I throwing under the bus? We have the vaccines that protect the vulnerable from serious illness and death, correct? The current segment of the UK populations with antibodies is 98%. I mention the kids because they can't get those years back and have already scarified a lot. So they should not be doing so any more with the current state of play, at all. Their will be long lasting effects for our young.

In Terms of ONS data today

- What is the current survival rates for contradicting Covid 19?
- What are the current hospitalizations rates for contracting Covid 19?

The answer is miniscule.

The good news is if people want to exercise more individual caution then generally they can. What I don't get is people saying thinking so considerate but then piling into a football match and the pub afterwards. It was the same people who always went to the pub as soon as they re-opened but because they were wearing a mask on the tube thought they were doing their bit. If people were that concerned they'd not go out anyway.

Covid is everywhere, you'll likely get it at some point if you haven't already. We can no longer shut down industries, operate in a totally virtual environment or spend billions on testing healthy people. I'd argue that should have been the way for most of the western world in 2021 once vulnerable people had a level of protection and we had much better understanding of how deadly this thing. The measures (especially once we got to Omicron) to prevent spread were completely useless. See the infection count in France per day with vaccine passports, mask mandates, travel bans etc. Still through the roof.

I was living in a place where that had no restrictions since about Feb 2021, nothing happened apart from the odd fluctuation in cases (same as everywhere), people lived their life, filled sports arenas went to indoor restaurants etc. The local health services was fine. CDC in fact lifted the mask ban for vaccinated people a few months later. Then half backtracked and said local authorities can deiced. The mixed messaging from the scientific community does not help much in regards to these debates.

Anyway, I am fine if people disagreeing but being but saying I don't care about anyone's health because I have a different opinion on policy seems a bit much two years in. Especially when everyone is doing basically the same stuff as me anyway. Peace!

Your opinion seems largely based on it was mostly alright where you are, so should be fine for everyone.

And you keep banging on about the young. I mentioned the young of 70/80 years ago but you conveniently washed over that. Yes it's unfortunate, it was unfortunate for those who had to go to war. But enabling them to go on a piss up at the student union isn't a good reason for opening everything up and letting Covid do what it wants.

I'd say it's closer to the truth that you don't really give a stuff about the young, you just don't like your freedom to do what you want being curtailed. None of us like it but we realise the non-selfish thing to do is make a few sacrifices (which are absolutely nothing compared to those sacrifices of 70/80 years ago).

"Oh I hate having to wear a mask" is the most pathetic moan of the 21st Century.

A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 15:06 - Mar 21 with 1133 viewsCrockerITFC

And it's unfortunately because of people like your friend that true blues who are vulnerable can no longer attend games
[Post edited 21 Mar 2022 15:09]
A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 15:10 - Mar 21 with 1118 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 14:42 - Mar 21 by The_Flashing_Smile

Your opinion seems largely based on it was mostly alright where you are, so should be fine for everyone.

And you keep banging on about the young. I mentioned the young of 70/80 years ago but you conveniently washed over that. Yes it's unfortunate, it was unfortunate for those who had to go to war. But enabling them to go on a piss up at the student union isn't a good reason for opening everything up and letting Covid do what it wants.

I'd say it's closer to the truth that you don't really give a stuff about the young, you just don't like your freedom to do what you want being curtailed. None of us like it but we realise the non-selfish thing to do is make a few sacrifices (which are absolutely nothing compared to those sacrifices of 70/80 years ago).

"Oh I hate having to wear a mask" is the most pathetic moan of the 21st Century.

You really haven't counted any of my points, at all.

The young did make sacrifices at the beginning (and rightly so). I never even said I hate wearing a mask, I literally told you it isn't doing anything against Omicron as is evident with the spread of the thing where there mask mandates have been prevalent and many medical experts agree.
A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 15:16 - Mar 21 with 1109 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 15:10 - Mar 21 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

You really haven't counted any of my points, at all.

The young did make sacrifices at the beginning (and rightly so). I never even said I hate wearing a mask, I literally told you it isn't doing anything against Omicron as is evident with the spread of the thing where there mask mandates have been prevalent and many medical experts agree.

So the young have made their sacrifices, so we're even now?

I know you never said you hate wearing a mask, I'm just assuming it given you bang on about it so much.

A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 15:26 - Mar 21 with 1094 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 15:16 - Mar 21 by The_Flashing_Smile

So the young have made their sacrifices, so we're even now?

I know you never said you hate wearing a mask, I'm just assuming it given you bang on about it so much.

Even to what? Did you go and fight the Germans then? I really have no idea what you're banging on about TBH. The difference is one of us in providing some data and reasoned arguments and the other one is just sniping back, so I guess we are done here.
A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 15:52 - Mar 21 with 1073 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 15:26 - Mar 21 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Even to what? Did you go and fight the Germans then? I really have no idea what you're banging on about TBH. The difference is one of us in providing some data and reasoned arguments and the other one is just sniping back, so I guess we are done here.

I'm not talking about me, I'm talking about young people, obviously. You said they HAVE made sacrifices... so you're suggesting they shouldn't have to make any more. I'm suggesting if they do have to make more, then it's tough luck, it's still not a good reason for letting Covid let rip, and it's still nothing compared to the young people during the war.

I'm pretty confident my arguments are reasoned. Mine are about what's best for everyone.

A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 16:00 - Mar 21 with 1062 viewsbluelagos

A very good mate of mine who is a true blue on 12:01 - Mar 21 by itfcjoe

Didn't the Sunday Times Insight investigation report something like an 8 day gam between deciding that we had to lockdown and then doing it which saw cases rise from something like 15k to 200k - and basically we were the country that went into lockdown with the most community cases throiughout the world.

We seemed to always go in to a lockdown too late, everyone knew it was needed but we wouldn't pull the trigger which meant they ended up being longer

From memory it was 11 days at a time when the virus was doubling every 2 to 3 days. Sure I read it was around 20k additional deaths down to govt failure to follow the advice they were given. Sure it will be validated more accurately in the public inquiry as/when.

Glassers is welded to 'they were following the science' in March 20 and in part they were. But they defo didnt follow the advice to lockdown immediately that is was made.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024