Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So ridiculous 20:26 - May 9 with 4918 viewsreadtheleaguetable

Watching these play-off games with disbelief. Over the 4 matches, only the Dons have played football that can hold a candle to Town’s under McKenna, and they got bullied out. These two teams today have “not good enough for the Championship” written all over them. Next season we just have to add the cutting edge to the class we ooze, and get back where we belong.

Qu'est-ce que vous chantez? Nous chantons "Les Bleus, allez!"

So ridiculous on 07:51 - May 10 with 1139 viewsElephantintheRoom

Bolton and Cambridge would beg to differ.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

So ridiculous on 08:43 - May 10 with 1127 viewsBiGDonnie

So ridiculous on 22:14 - May 9 by Mach_foreignBlue

We may have to duplicate these 'ugly' tactics as our 'nice, passing' football has been fruitless in the second half of the season. We have scored few goals.

And our set-pieces are arguably the worst in this league.

You sh*t the bed last night?

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

So ridiculous on 08:44 - May 10 with 1111 viewschicoazul

Or, we need to replace our band of very pretty flat track bullies with some horrible nasty scumbags who are all 6ft+ and bully our way out of the league too.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

So ridiculous on 08:55 - May 10 with 1108 viewsdavblue

So ridiculous on 22:10 - May 9 by Warkystache

That's despicable. Perhaps it was me, but I couldn't believe how low on quality Wednesday were apart from Barry Bannan. It was all "win the ball then boot it high for the front two to lose it, rinse, repeat".

I hope we'll be a lot better faced with that next season

i wasn't impressed with them at all at Wycombe the other week.
So ridiculous on 09:04 - May 10 with 1101 viewsNthQldITFC

So ridiculous on 22:03 - May 9 by Churchman

Passing football is if you have an end product. Teams chasing the ball have to run a lot further and cannot score if you have it.

But you have to match the energy and intensity of the opposition. Do this and even on an off day you’ll have a chance of getting something from a game. It’s the old cliche of earning the right to play. From that with a better football team, you literally take limited teams like these apart.

You take them apart if they choose to try to attack you or press you, otherwise they let you pen them back and you need to be able to play intricate little one-twos into the box, and/or be able to crack them in from 30 yards. I think this is the situation we'll be in quite a lot next season, and the likes of Lee Evans and perhaps Woolfy might be banging a few worldies in!

No need to play ugly.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

So ridiculous on 09:04 - May 10 with 1100 viewstextbackup

So ridiculous on 22:27 - May 9 by Mach_foreignBlue

'How many late goals have Sunderland got and how many did we concede?'

Your above question is rhetorical.

And, yes WE HAVE to duplicate ugly tactics. Otherwise all Cheltenhams, Morecambes, Exeters will easily suss us out.......AGAIN
[Post edited 9 May 2022 22:34]

what rubbish.

if we have a quality striker to finish the many chances we tend to create, or to open up space for others to drift into, we win nicely too.

you want us adopting an ugly style, but was anti MM if i remember rightly?

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

So ridiculous on 09:07 - May 10 with 1093 viewsfooters

So ridiculous on 08:43 - May 10 by BiGDonnie

Think poor old Mach had been on the Appletisers last night.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

So ridiculous on 09:14 - May 10 with 1084 viewsMach_foreignBlue

So ridiculous on 09:04 - May 10 by textbackup

what rubbish.

if we have a quality striker to finish the many chances we tend to create, or to open up space for others to drift into, we win nicely too.

you want us adopting an ugly style, but was anti MM if i remember rightly?

I want us to score goals and find a way to beat so called 'smaller clubs'.
Login to get fewer ads

So ridiculous on 09:16 - May 10 with 1081 viewsPinewoodblue

Warnock summed it up years ago, just after we had thumped Sheffield Utd, that the last time I come here and play football.

Try to play open football and the best team is going to win, provided they have a goal scorer and know how to make the best of opportunities offered by corners/ free kicks.

We just need an end product.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

So ridiculous on 09:33 - May 10 with 1065 viewsjayessess

So ridiculous on 22:02 - May 9 by Warkystache

It was all clog though. Kick it in the air and battle for it against the CH's. Wednesday were god-awful. How'd we lose 1-0 away to that?

No Morsy or Evans that day, plus first starts for Bakinson and Thompson. Bakinson and El Mizouni got absolutely dominated by a central midfield of Luongo, Dele-Bashiru and Bannan, and Thompson got nowhere near Mendez-Laing for most of the game.

Rotherham and Sheffield Wednesday were the same story really - the other team deployed 3 very good midfielders and swamped our 2, meaning we couldn't play through them and didn't pick up any second balls. It helped in both instances that we didn't capitalise on a promising opening period.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

So ridiculous on 09:36 - May 10 with 1060 viewsBiGDonnie

So ridiculous on 08:43 - May 10 by BiGDonnie

File him next to Frimmers.

COYBs

So ridiculous on 09:37 - May 10 with 1057 viewsBiGDonnie

So ridiculous on 09:36 - May 10 by BiGDonnie

File him next to Frimmers.

Fook knows how I've responded to myself and not Footers.

COYBs

So ridiculous on 09:43 - May 10 with 1046 viewsjayessess

Since we've been down here the balance between passing teams and direct teams is, if anything, in favour of the passing teams.

Passing
Wigan 2021-22
Peterborough 2020-21
Hull 2020-21
Blackpool 2020-21
Coventry 2019-20

Direct
Rotherham 2021-22
Wycombe 2019-20
Rotherham 2019-20
[Post edited 10 May 2022 9:44]

So ridiculous on 10:00 - May 10 with 1029 viewsWhos_blue

So ridiculous on 23:07 - May 9 by Mach_foreignBlue

'I don't really understand why we'd want to "win ugly" '

See how many points we have dropped against so called 'small teams'.

Yes. I'm aware we didn't put some teams to bed when we had the opportunity. But I'm not sure how an ugly football philosophy helps that. The teams you mention generally languish in the lower regions of the division. It must follow that by adopting their style of ugly football, we wiuld do the same. I'd much rather teams came to PR exoecting to be played off the park than a drab game of anti football. Oxford are a classic example. Quite possibly the worse example of sh1thousery I saw all season. Have they got promoted this season?
I say let's stick with the flowing football we're starting to become accustomed to, but admittedly we need to focus on a more effective end product.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

So ridiculous on 10:16 - May 10 with 1007 viewsC_Jam_Blue

I don't think there is 'a way' to play to get out of League 1. Of the teams in the top 6 it feels like Wigan and MK Dons are what you might call footballing sides with Rotherham and Wycombe on the more physical side. On last night's display Sheff W and Sunderland are probably somewhere in the middle. I don't see any reason why we can't go up with our current style (and I would certainly much rather watch our current team). We know we have to turn our possession into chances/goals and find a solution to our set piece woes. We have shown we can defend against the bully boys but we still struggle to create against well drilled defences. A good pre-season and smart recruitment will hopefully see improvement in these areas.
So ridiculous on 10:26 - May 10 with 992 viewsMach_foreignBlue

So ridiculous on 10:00 - May 10 by Whos_blue

Yes. I'm aware we didn't put some teams to bed when we had the opportunity. But I'm not sure how an ugly football philosophy helps that. The teams you mention generally languish in the lower regions of the division. It must follow that by adopting their style of ugly football, we wiuld do the same. I'd much rather teams came to PR exoecting to be played off the park than a drab game of anti football. Oxford are a classic example. Quite possibly the worse example of sh1thousery I saw all season. Have they got promoted this season?
I say let's stick with the flowing football we're starting to become accustomed to, but admittedly we need to focus on a more effective end product.

Sunderland since appointing Neil somehow found the way to beat a good number of teams against whom we dropped the points. That is why they are one game from promotion while we are a midtable League One club.
So ridiculous on 10:40 - May 10 with 971 viewsWhos_blue

So ridiculous on 10:26 - May 10 by Mach_foreignBlue

Sunderland since appointing Neil somehow found the way to beat a good number of teams against whom we dropped the points. That is why they are one game from promotion while we are a midtable League One club.

Ok, but I don't watch enough of Sunderland to know if they found success by adopting ugly football, which I think was the original crux of the conversation. I'll happily agree we need to be more effective in front of goal. I think that's a given by all of us. My personal preference is to add to what we already have, rather than an over riding tactical change to ugly football. We clearly both want the same thing, but just have a different idea how we want to see it achieved.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

So ridiculous on 10:49 - May 10 with 953 viewsSTYG

So ridiculous on 10:40 - May 10 by Whos_blue

Ok, but I don't watch enough of Sunderland to know if they found success by adopting ugly football, which I think was the original crux of the conversation. I'll happily agree we need to be more effective in front of goal. I think that's a given by all of us. My personal preference is to add to what we already have, rather than an over riding tactical change to ugly football. We clearly both want the same thing, but just have a different idea how we want to see it achieved.

We are absolutely fine.

In the 0-0 with Cheltenham and 1-1 at Morecambe we had something like 55 shots and 20 of those were on target. We just had them fall to players like Bonne (who missed two headers at Morecambe from a yard out and a one on one).

I'd be concerned if we weren't creating chances. We should have beaten Plymouth by 3 or 4. We should have done the same with Pompey. We have played delightful football, created a lot of chances and relied upon Burns or Morsy to pop up with a goal in matches where Norwood, Bonne or Piggott have taken none of the six chances they had between them.

Swap them with Stewart, Keane, Taylor, Smith etc and we score 2 or 3 of those.
So ridiculous on 10:51 - May 10 with 955 viewsitfcjoe

Sheff Weds normally play some decent stuff but Sunderland were able to knock them off their stride

Too many talking without a clue about playing rubbish football to egt out of this league - and then what? Get relegated again like Rotherham always do.

We need to keep doing what we are doing, and add goals - give me this style of football any day of the week. It will work - enough teams have success in this league playing good football

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

So ridiculous on 10:56 - May 10 with 949 viewsSTYG

So ridiculous on 10:51 - May 10 by itfcjoe

Sheff Weds normally play some decent stuff but Sunderland were able to knock them off their stride

Too many talking without a clue about playing rubbish football to egt out of this league - and then what? Get relegated again like Rotherham always do.

We need to keep doing what we are doing, and add goals - give me this style of football any day of the week. It will work - enough teams have success in this league playing good football

Very valid point.

Rotherham. Straight back down.

Wycombe. Straight back down.

Coventry. Comfortable and then pushing for playoffs.

Blackpool. Comfortable.

Luton. Comfortable and then in play offs a few years later.

Wigan. Comfortable before the owner stitched them up and they got a massive points deduction.

It's fine to be a Wycombe if your sole aim is to survive in the Championship. For a club like that on their budget that's a huge achievement.

Our aims are vastly higher and that demands playing the right way and being prepared to further evolve once we are promoted to a team that challenges again.
[Post edited 10 May 2022 10:58]
So ridiculous on 11:05 - May 10 with 932 viewsVaughan8

I think you might be missing the point though?

Maybe we need to add this to our game and be able to "win ugly" too. Its OK being good at passing it around but ultimately sometimes this tactic works (look at Luton in Championshiop as well!)
So ridiculous on 11:09 - May 10 with 919 viewsjayessess

So ridiculous on 10:40 - May 10 by Whos_blue

Sunderland aren't noticeably "ugly", all the stats have them as a short passing team (4th for possession, 4th for pass completion, 15th for aerial won, 20th for tackles, 15th for fouls, 19th for long balls per game).

The pattern to their late goals is that they're a threat from crosses from deeper areas than we are. Not long ball exactly, but passing moves that get them wide about 30 yards or so from the byline, with accurate crosses towards the back post.

I think there's also an element here of combatting the dark arts, rather than adopting them. When teams are running down the clock against us, we're pretty bad at keeping the ball in play and making sure we put them under maximum pressure. We get in scraps, we start moaning about timewasting, we give away soft free kicks, we let the ball go out of play too much, we spurn opportunities to put percentage balls in, we don't pack the penalty area.

Late game football is a particular art form and we have to adapt to it better.

So ridiculous on 11:11 - May 10 with 918 viewsSTYG

So ridiculous on 11:05 - May 10 by Vaughan8

I think you might be missing the point though?

Maybe we need to add this to our game and be able to "win ugly" too. Its OK being good at passing it around but ultimately sometimes this tactic works (look at Luton in Championshiop as well!)

What is winning ugly though?

To me it's not playing well, not passing well, not creating much but being able to dig out a result.

Under McKenna we have pretty much played everyone off the park and created loads. How can we win ugly? The games where I'd say we didn't necessarily do that were Wycombe (won 1-0 by finding a way to win), Gillingham (won 1-0 by finding a way to win) and then the defeat at Sheffield Wednesday (lost 1-0).

So we were winning ugly. We only lost 4 in 23 games. The Bolton game was even for a while, Cambridge we were poor all day, but there were as many poor games really that we won ugly in than we lost in. You could even throw Oxford in. They had 12 shots to our 3 in the first half. We'd have found a way to win that day if you ignore the 96th minute equaliser. Seconds away from turning that right around.

We absolutely have to be able to find a way to win when we are not at our best. But so often we were absolutely dominating the ball and chances that those off days were encouraging really rare.
So ridiculous on 11:15 - May 10 with 911 viewsTrequartista

Playoffs are often like that. I remember us going into them once playing fluent attacking football, and then we met Charlton in the playoffs and other clubs must have watched our performance over the two legs thinking exactly what we are saying in this thread.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

So ridiculous on 11:22 - May 10 with 898 viewsChurchman

So ridiculous on 11:09 - May 10 by jayessess

Sunderland aren't noticeably "ugly", all the stats have them as a short passing team (4th for possession, 4th for pass completion, 15th for aerial won, 20th for tackles, 15th for fouls, 19th for long balls per game).

The pattern to their late goals is that they're a threat from crosses from deeper areas than we are. Not long ball exactly, but passing moves that get them wide about 30 yards or so from the byline, with accurate crosses towards the back post.

I think there's also an element here of combatting the dark arts, rather than adopting them. When teams are running down the clock against us, we're pretty bad at keeping the ball in play and making sure we put them under maximum pressure. We get in scraps, we start moaning about timewasting, we give away soft free kicks, we let the ball go out of play too much, we spurn opportunities to put percentage balls in, we don't pack the penalty area.

Late game football is a particular art form and we have to adapt to it better.

I think what you are saying is play the game a little smarter, such as keeping the ball when teams are running the clock down and getting into unnecessary scuffles etc. I think that’s fair. It’s about keeping discipline and doing what the opposition don’t want you to do.

It’s about controlling the game for 90 mins ideally and as will often be the case, if you can’t do that, make the most of the possession you do have. Nobody is going to resort to time wasting and s’housery if they are 2-0 or 3-0 down.

That’s where half decent strikers come in and an ability to score from your share of dead ball situations. It’s what we lack. Nobody wins every game, but we can do a lot better than throw away the points we did and to struggle at times when shouldn’t have. We took 1 point each from Sunderland and Wednesday. We should have done better, particularly Sunderland who we dominated. It’s do-able.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024