Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Abide with me just now 16:38 - May 14 with 6119 viewsMillsey

Pathetic response from the morons there 😞😞😞😞
Abide with me just now on 09:49 - May 15 with 1604 viewsnodge_blue

Abide with me just now on 09:27 - May 15 by STYG

You’ll have to ask them why they were booing AWM.

That sounded like an small minority, probably lacking the intelligence to separate the two or realise that’s tradition and nothing to do with the actual targets of what they were trying to object to.

Not buying the whole decades old grievance. Doesn’t matter how long ago the incident was when it was covered up for so long and has only recently been reversed. Some of those clearly guilty haven’t faced any kind of justice.

Should they just forget it then?

Perhaps we should still be booing the German national anthem then? After all they exterminated millions of people. Crimes far worse than 80s political parties.

Yes they should forgive and forget.

Plus it wasn't just Liverpool that suffered in the 80s.

Plus its like two fingers to everyone in England rather than the Tory party.

And it was hardly a small minority booing abide with me. I felt really bad for those poor people in the choir.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Abide with me just now on 09:54 - May 15 with 1584 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Abide with me just now on 09:49 - May 15 by nodge_blue

Perhaps we should still be booing the German national anthem then? After all they exterminated millions of people. Crimes far worse than 80s political parties.

And it was hardly a small minority booing abide with me. I felt really bad for those poor people in the choir.

If you go to any England game, Yes, we do still boo the German National anthem.

I can't believe you don't know what Liverpool fans were put through, by successive governments and vast swathes of the population post Hillsborough.

They should Forgive and Forget? Wow.
[Post edited 15 May 2022 9:57]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Abide with me just now on 10:01 - May 15 with 1569 viewsyesjohn99

Abide with me just now on 09:48 - May 15 by Cheltenham_Blue

What a dense response.

Silly me, forgot semis at Wembley as well.
Abide with me just now on 10:09 - May 15 with 1559 viewsnodge_blue

Abide with me just now on 09:54 - May 15 by Cheltenham_Blue

If you go to any England game, Yes, we do still boo the German National anthem.

I can't believe you don't know what Liverpool fans were put through, by successive governments and vast swathes of the population post Hillsborough.

They should Forgive and Forget? Wow.
[Post edited 15 May 2022 9:57]

Liverpool are my second team. Ive been to Anfield this year watch them. I know alot about Liverpool fc, their fans and the political times of the 1980s.

None of that leads me to think booing the national anthem is appropriate. Or Prince William. In these me too times why should he be ok to abuse when others aren't?

Any in particular the hymn. I felt very upset for those people.

And if we don't heal grievances how do we ever move on? A huge number in that crowd now weren't even affected by the 1980s.

And the fact that we do boo the German national anthem then, by your logic, makes it right and appropriate?
[Post edited 15 May 2022 10:13]

Abide with me just now on 10:23 - May 15 with 1524 viewssw20tractor

Abide with me just now on 23:42 - May 14 by Kropotkin123

Is it them or you that are ignorant? They boo it for clear and understandable historical reasons, that have not been resolved in their eyes.

Not agreeing I'd understand, but ignorant is a strange one.

It is a football match. Arguably the highlight of the English football season. Whether you are a royalist or a republican, just enjoy the special moment, it arguably won’t happen many times in your/your teams history.
It was Prince William there, not Andrew. How must he have felt? From what I can tell he seems a decent hard working member of the RF and he must have felt incredibly uncomfortable. So just stay quiet for a minute, it’s not hard it’s just a bit of human decency that unfortunately a number of fans yesterday lacked.
Yes there are social inequalities, a huge north, south divide that is getting bigger by the year. Be angry at the government and people who make the decisions not the RF.
Abide with me just now on 10:43 - May 15 with 1491 viewsSwansea_Blue

Abide with me just now on 16:55 - May 14 by tivo

Liverpool fans really are the worst. Always the victims yet behave like knobs at every opportunity.

Anyone but liverpool!

That’s not been my experience. Anfield is one of my favourite away days.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Abide with me just now on 10:47 - May 15 with 1483 viewsSwansea_Blue

Abide with me just now on 10:09 - May 15 by nodge_blue

Liverpool are my second team. Ive been to Anfield this year watch them. I know alot about Liverpool fc, their fans and the political times of the 1980s.

None of that leads me to think booing the national anthem is appropriate. Or Prince William. In these me too times why should he be ok to abuse when others aren't?

And if we don't heal grievances how do we ever move on? A huge number in that crowd now weren't even affected by the 1980s.

And the fact that we do boo the German national anthem then, by your logic, makes it right and appropriate?

People are free to sing it or boo it. We’re not North Korea (although Christ knows we seem intent on heading that way).

Abide with me just now on 10:50 - May 15 with 1478 viewsCrawfordsboot

As is clear from the discussion there are multiple reasons for the booing. The social issues are perhaps key but also there is a disconnect between the national anthem and two teams made up from players of many different nationalities gathered from around the world. Playing the national anthem at the cup final is out of date and out of touch.
Personally I wouldn’t boo the Prince. He seems a decent bloke trying to make the best of a bad job. He has a genuine interest in football. His role in the FA is honorary and he shouldn’t be held responsible for its past or present failings.
That said I’m a republican at heart and would not be sorry to see the royal family fade away post Betty.
Login to get fewer ads

Abide with me just now on 10:58 - May 15 with 1454 viewstractordownsouth

Booing a national anthem is disrespectful, the "always the victims" narrative is even more so.
[Post edited 15 May 2022 10:59]

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Abide with me just now on 10:59 - May 15 with 1446 viewsnodge_blue

Abide with me just now on 10:47 - May 15 by Swansea_Blue

People are free to sing it or boo it. We’re not North Korea (although Christ knows we seem intent on heading that way).

Im going to stop. Ive made my points.

We are into areas of what I just think are about decency and respect. Especially when a choir of mixed race and disabilities are singing a song thats about loss.
[Post edited 15 May 2022 11:00]

Abide with me just now on 11:12 - May 15 with 1423 viewsSwansea_Blue

Abide with me just now on 10:59 - May 15 by nodge_blue

Im going to stop. Ive made my points.

We are into areas of what I just think are about decency and respect. Especially when a choir of mixed race and disabilities are singing a song thats about loss.
[Post edited 15 May 2022 11:00]

For sure, it shows a lack of respect (especially so when people boo anthems of other countries). Mostly it’s just tribal nonsense and shows people up to be tits. Personally I’d keep quiet if I had nothing constructive to add, but I’m just a bit nervous about shutting down protest the way things are going in this country under this authoritarian government. Although I suppose you could argue this isn’t protest in any meaningful sense of the word and is just idiots and mob mentality.

Living in Wales adds another dimension to the debate around GSTQ, as there’s plenty of people here with far more valid claim to dislike the English-based monarchy and establishment (more of a case than some areas in England who had a tough time of it for a few decades - most people had a tough time of it under Thatcher and now this regime). That’s not taking anything away from the miscarriages of justice faced by the families of the Hillsborough victims.

Abide with me just now on 12:15 - May 15 with 1361 viewsDJR

A poll reported today finds that only 45% of Scots support the monarchy, but the Mail and some of the comments on this thread have used yesterday to denigrate Scousers once again, so perhaps it no surprise they take the attitude they do. For what it is worth, my view is the monarchy is used by the establishment to keep the poor and oppressed in their place, but it is just that many on Merseyside are savvy enough to know this only too well. It may also be that the strong Irish identity on Merseyside plays a part, but along with Manchester they were one of the few areas in England to vote strongly for Remain, which suggests the people have a much more cosmopolitan outlook than much of the rest of England, including sadly Ipswich.
[Post edited 15 May 2022 12:22]
Abide with me just now on 12:19 - May 15 with 1351 viewsDarth_Koont

Unfortunate for Liz or Prince William to feel targeted personally.

But booing the British state (as a whole) would be a fairly healthy response, I’d say. It’s a pretty rotten, anti-democratic and self-interested institution with the Royal Family (ironically) as one of the better parts.

Pronouns: He/Him

Abide with me just now on 12:46 - May 15 with 1308 viewsSeablu

Abide with me just now on 00:34 - May 15 by bluelagos

Indeed. A scummy comment upvoted by 11 forum users.

Not many surprises in that list though.
A bingo card of the usual rotters with ‘very real concerns’ mixed with a couple of recently spawned tadpoles.
Abide with me just now on 14:04 - May 15 with 1243 viewsmutters

Abide with me just now on 06:47 - May 15 by textbackup

I wonder how many scouse rats booing the national anthem will forgo their bank holidays for the jubilee if they are so anti associating themselves with the rest of us

Are you a religious man? If not and based on your premise then I imagine you will be forgoing the Christmas and the Easter bank holidays each year due to its religious association then?

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

Abide with me just now on 16:42 - May 15 with 1162 viewsyesjohn99

Abide with me just now on 14:04 - May 15 by mutters

Are you a religious man? If not and based on your premise then I imagine you will be forgoing the Christmas and the Easter bank holidays each year due to its religious association then?

Don’t think texters goes about booing people singing Christmas carols!
Abide with me just now on 17:57 - May 15 with 1119 viewsBlueBadger

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Abide with me just now on 19:07 - May 15 with 1059 viewsKropotkin123

Abide with me just now on 09:49 - May 15 by nodge_blue

Germany has taken account for its actions.

Who has taken account for the Hillsborough Disaster? Who has taken account for the cover-up?

Margaret Aspinall, who lost her son - “we’ve got death certificates with 96 unlawfully killed, but not one person has yet been held into account”.

"On 26 May 2021, Denton, Foster and Metcalfe were all found not guilty of perverting the course of justice by altering 68 police officers' statements"

The idea that this is decades old is a fallacy. It is an ongoing, current, perversion of justice.

If you want to make a Germany war comparison, it would be more akin to booing the German national anthem whilst Hitler et al are waltzing around Germany in comfortable retirement and ignorant people Andorra tell you to move on because they like a song and a monarchy.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Abide with me just now on 19:12 - May 15 with 1044 viewsKropotkin123

Abide with me just now on 10:23 - May 15 by sw20tractor

It is a football match. Arguably the highlight of the English football season. Whether you are a royalist or a republican, just enjoy the special moment, it arguably won’t happen many times in your/your teams history.
It was Prince William there, not Andrew. How must he have felt? From what I can tell he seems a decent hard working member of the RF and he must have felt incredibly uncomfortable. So just stay quiet for a minute, it’s not hard it’s just a bit of human decency that unfortunately a number of fans yesterday lacked.
Yes there are social inequalities, a huge north, south divide that is getting bigger by the year. Be angry at the government and people who make the decisions not the RF.

Well done for missing the point.

And what are you on? Prioritizing how Prince William feels over the families of the 97 dead and ~800 injured.

Imagine Prince William is a family member of the ~900 people directly impacted and you might get a sense of your misplaced empathy.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.

Abide with me just now on 19:43 - May 15 with 1009 viewssw20tractor

Abide with me just now on 19:12 - May 15 by Kropotkin123

Well done for missing the point.

And what are you on? Prioritizing how Prince William feels over the families of the 97 dead and ~800 injured.

Imagine Prince William is a family member of the ~900 people directly impacted and you might get a sense of your misplaced empathy.

I never brought Hillsborough up you fool. Why is this suddenly all about Hillsborough? What is your problem? It was about human decency. Maybe look up the meaning if you are unsure.
Abide with me just now on 20:17 - May 15 with 967 viewsKropotkin123

Abide with me just now on 19:43 - May 15 by sw20tractor

I never brought Hillsborough up you fool. Why is this suddenly all about Hillsborough? What is your problem? It was about human decency. Maybe look up the meaning if you are unsure.

I'm aware you didn't bring it up, which is an issue, as the points you raise shouldn't be made in isolation, as that would be foolish.

And don't forget that you originally replied to me, where I did mention the history. So I'm not willing accept this important point being removed from the conversation.
[Post edited 15 May 2022 20:20]

Abide with me just now on 20:44 - May 15 with 942 viewssw20tractor

Abide with me just now on 20:17 - May 15 by Kropotkin123

I'm aware you didn't bring it up, which is an issue, as the points you raise shouldn't be made in isolation, as that would be foolish.

And don't forget that you originally replied to me, where I did mention the history. So I'm not willing accept this important point being removed from the conversation.
[Post edited 15 May 2022 20:20]

Please enlighten me on the link between the royal family and Hillsborough. I’m not aware of any but happy to be educated.
Abide with me just now on 20:46 - May 15 with 940 viewsN2_Blue

Abide with me just now on 10:09 - May 15 by nodge_blue

2nd team??
How does that work?
Do you have an Ipswich and Liverpool half and half scarve?

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Abide with me just now on 20:50 - May 15 with 939 viewsfooters

Abide with me just now on 19:43 - May 15 by sw20tractor

Human decency? Why did the royals spend £12m on bailing out their nonce in residence? Spunking our money on protecting a paedophile. Nice.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Abide with me just now on 21:20 - May 15 with 901 viewseastangliaisblue

Abide with me just now on 20:50 - May 15 by footers

Human decency? Why did the royals spend £12m on bailing out their nonce in residence? Spunking our money on protecting a paedophile. Nice.

Why do people get so protective of the royal family? He had to endure a few boos ffs. It really is mind boggling.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024