Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Miss F didn't quite get the A Levels she wanted 09:20 - Aug 18 with 2293 viewsFtnfwest

Any advice on clearing? ie. do it asap or can other/better courses become available in a few days?
Miss F didn't quite get the A Levels she wanted on 09:22 - Aug 18 with 1718 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Go early I would think. What does she want to do?
Has she been refused her first choice already?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Miss F didn't quite get the A Levels she wanted on 09:25 - Aug 18 with 1690 viewsdickie

Miss F didn't quite get the A Levels she wanted on 09:22 - Aug 18 by BanksterDebtSlave

Go early I would think. What does she want to do?
Has she been refused her first choice already?

This. Some places still offer the places if it's not too far away
Miss F didn't quite get the A Levels she wanted on 09:27 - Aug 18 with 1667 viewsunstableblue

What results did she get?

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Miss F didn't quite get the A Levels she wanted on 09:36 - Aug 18 with 1606 viewsGuthrum

As a last resort: My clearing form never came through, due to a postal strike (back in the '80s). In the end I rang up a college directly and they offered me an interview a couple of days later, then subsequently a place.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Miss F didn't quite get the A Levels she wanted on 09:51 - Aug 18 with 1547 viewsElderGrizzly

Early.

Also, call the one she didn't get into directly as a lot of kids are in the same position this year and they may 'negotiate'
Miss F didn't quite get the A Levels she wanted on 09:52 - Aug 18 with 1546 viewsMookamoo

If there is a uni she has set her heart on, then look to get onto a course at the uni. There will often be the opportunity to switch to the course she does want to do in October when some drop out.
Miss F didn't quite get the A Levels she wanted on 09:57 - Aug 18 with 1523 viewsblueasfook

There is also the option of deferring for a year and doing resits in the hope of getting better A level grades

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Miss F didn't quite get the A Levels she wanted on 10:06 - Aug 18 with 1483 viewsChrisd

Sorry to read this, after listening to the Education Minister talking this morning it seems that students this year were on a hiding to nothing regarding their grades, so I feel she'll be in the same boat as plenty of other A-Level students. Really hope she gets fixed up with the course or Uni she wants.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2022 10:50]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Login to get fewer ads

Miss F didn't quite get the A Levels she wanted on 10:09 - Aug 18 with 1463 viewsblue62

Get on the phone soon and see the options. It's a stressful time.

Check the UCAS site, my daughter never got the grades she needed so started to panic, then checked UCAS and she had still been offered a place.

Son went for the option of a different course and took a ski season gap year.

Good luck.
Miss F didn't quite get the A Levels she wanted on 10:11 - Aug 18 with 1447 viewsFtnfwest

Miss F didn't quite get the A Levels she wanted on 09:27 - Aug 18 by unstableblue

What results did she get?

BBC wanted ABB
Miss F didn't quite get the A Levels she wanted on 10:13 - Aug 18 with 1418 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Miss F didn't quite get the A Levels she wanted on 10:09 - Aug 18 by blue62

Get on the phone soon and see the options. It's a stressful time.

Check the UCAS site, my daughter never got the grades she needed so started to panic, then checked UCAS and she had still been offered a place.

Son went for the option of a different course and took a ski season gap year.

Good luck.

Yes, many get the place still with a near miss.

The school/college should be able to give you advice but:

1 Check the first choice as she may have got on anyway.
2 Go to clearing early and choose what suits best.
3 Don't be afraid to change course once started if it isn't quite the right one.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Miss F didn't quite get the A Levels she wanted on 10:20 - Aug 18 with 1391 viewshomer_123

Fully appreciate she will be disappointed but, remember, University isn't the be all and end all.

Organisations are far more interested in 'fit' now than technical ability - so, it's not the end of the world if the A levels are not what she wanted.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Miss F didn't quite get the A Levels she wanted on 10:22 - Aug 18 with 1379 viewsbelgablue

Definitely check with the first choice uni before doing anything else. I was the wrong side of my predicted grades back in the day but was still offered my place, so fingers crossed for you.

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

Miss F didn't quite get the A Levels she wanted on 10:29 - Aug 18 with 1340 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Not what you are asking, but:

The girl who sat in front of me in A Level History didn't get the grades she wanted. She re-took them a year later. Worked so hard.

Bachelors.

Masters.

PhD.

She is now Professor of Social History at Cambridge University.

Your daughter's grades today won't define her, but her response to them will.

Hope that encourages someone today!
Miss F didn't quite get the A Levels she wanted on 10:31 - Aug 18 with 1323 viewsBlueastheycome

Whatever happens be positive, flexible and expect the unexpected.

My memory is abit hazy now but I was always going to take a year out anyway. However I didn’t get particularly good grades and I didn’t really have any idea what I wanted to do.

However, I went though clearing, spoke to a uni, got talking about a particular course and to this day I am unsure if the guy I spoke to misheard me when I told him my grades or just didn’t care and let me do the course even though I didn’t make the entry requirements. Even if he had misheard my actual grades on the phone, I still got through their process ok.

This particular course held me in good stead for the career/area I am still working in today.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2022 10:34]
Miss F didn't quite get the A Levels she wanted on 10:46 - Aug 18 with 1247 viewsITFC_Forever

My eldest will be going through it this time next year....

But from speaking to friends etc, you need to get on it ASAP to get the best pick of courses / unis.
One friend's daughter had several people on phones calling to different unis and as soon as someone got through, they passed the phone to her.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Miss F didn't quite get the A Levels she wanted on 10:52 - Aug 18 with 1208 viewsPlums

If she hasn’t been offered a place as a near miss, talk to her first choice Uni before you do anything with regard to clearing, they may offer a different but related course that she can switch from in a term or twos time. This has just happened to one of my son’s mates, thankfully Plums junior got what he wanted.
Good luck and all the best. My sister is now a professor and got B,C,E in her A-levels.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2022 11:06]

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Miss F didn't quite get the A Levels she wanted on 10:53 - Aug 18 with 1202 viewsdickie

Miss F didn't quite get the A Levels she wanted on 10:06 - Aug 18 by Chrisd

Sorry to read this, after listening to the Education Minister talking this morning it seems that students this year were on a hiding to nothing regarding their grades, so I feel she'll be in the same boat as plenty of other A-Level students. Really hope she gets fixed up with the course or Uni she wants.

The whole exam board structure is a stitch up, the fact that grades "improved" year on year was a sham of manipulated grade boundaries until it became obvious that it couldn't continue. I really feel for the covid generation of school leavers, they're on a hiding to nothing
Miss F didn't quite get the A Levels she wanted on 10:58 - Aug 18 with 1179 viewsunstableblue

Miss F didn't quite get the A Levels she wanted on 10:11 - Aug 18 by Ftnfwest

BBC wanted ABB

Still great results, congratulations to her

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Miss F didn't quite get the A Levels she wanted on 11:06 - Aug 18 with 1118 viewsGuthrum

Another option, if all else fails*, is to look at resitting or doing more A levels in a year (HE colleges certainly used to offer that). Then try again next time. It would only put her the same age as those who had taken a gap year. Could get a part-time job to build up the cash, too.

* I originally wanted to do engineering, but fluffed the maths (bl00dy integration), basically ruling it out. Had to change direction.

Miss F didn't quite get the A Levels she wanted on 11:08 - Aug 18 with 1102 viewsGuthrum

Miss F didn't quite get the A Levels she wanted on 10:29 - Aug 18 by ArnoldMoorhen

Not what you are asking, but:

The girl who sat in front of me in A Level History didn't get the grades she wanted. She re-took them a year later. Worked so hard.

Bachelors.

Masters.

PhD.

She is now Professor of Social History at Cambridge University.

Your daughter's grades today won't define her, but her response to them will.

Hope that encourages someone today!

Hadn't read this before adding my second post. Not the same success story, but it was the route I took when I was 18.

Miss F didn't quite get the A Levels she wanted on 11:15 - Aug 18 with 1059 viewsPlums

Miss F didn't quite get the A Levels she wanted on 10:06 - Aug 18 by Chrisd

I’m not sure the fourth Education Minister this year is really an authority on the subject. They’re just keeping the seat warm which is why there was the sudden flap from UCAS and Ofqual this week. The consequences of a lack of direction from government has fallen on the worst affected cohort of students in history. To their credit, many of the kids have come through with flying colours. I feel for those who haven’t and don’t show in the figures (those who dropped out etc.)

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Miss F didn't quite get the A Levels she wanted on 11:20 - Aug 18 with 1055 viewsCotty

Context: I used to have a role which included UG admissions at a Russell group University

Go early and go hard. A lot of the better courses will fill up and close for clearing early. They do not wait to put good courses on later, they want to pick up the best students as soon as possible.

Also always ring up her first choice first, they may be willing to take her (although looking less likely this year). We used to take students who missed out by one grade (in a subject other than that of the course) as standard.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2022 11:21]
Miss F didn't quite get the A Levels she wanted on 11:27 - Aug 18 with 1019 viewsFtnfwest

thanks all, a bit manic atm as you can imagine but thanks for advice. Apparently it doesn't kick off until 3pm but have some options to try shortly which are all quite good ones.
Miss F didn't quite get the A Levels she wanted on 11:27 - Aug 18 with 1007 viewsFtnfwest

Miss F didn't quite get the A Levels she wanted on 10:52 - Aug 18 by Plums

If she hasn’t been offered a place as a near miss, talk to her first choice Uni before you do anything with regard to clearing, they may offer a different but related course that she can switch from in a term or twos time. This has just happened to one of my son’s mates, thankfully Plums junior got what he wanted.
Good luck and all the best. My sister is now a professor and got B,C,E in her A-levels.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2022 11:06]

yes may try this cheers
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024