Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Coldest game thread 13:21 - Oct 6 with 5054 viewsSteve_M

Inspired by ITFC Forever and Illy on the Charlton thread, it definitely deserves it's own post:

Birmingham away in October '97, midweek night and it got down to about -5 by the middle of it so must have been below freezing during the match. Finished 1-1, Neil Gregory having a last minute winner disallowed.

Millwall away at Easter 2013 was also really cold, possibly just felt worse because the rest of the weekend had been nice but was then unpleasant. A dull 0-0 that one.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Coldest game thread on 13:22 - Oct 6 with 2911 viewstextbackup

Middlesbrough away, alun Armstrong 2-0 win.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Coldest game thread on 13:24 - Oct 6 with 2889 viewsTheBoyBlue

My coldest match wasn't actually an Ipswich one. Watched Bolton vs Tranmere one December. Never felt cold like it before or since! Thankfully the game finished 3-2 (to Tranmere) so at least it kept us entertained!

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Coldest game thread on 13:28 - Oct 6 with 2870 viewsStNeotsBlue

Bristol Rovers away, think it was in the Cup, open terrace, wind howling and hail stones like golf balls. I, along with many other went and hid in the bogs to escape it, only time I can honestly say I couldn't care what happened on the pitch.
Coldest game thread on 13:30 - Oct 6 with 2856 viewsle2blue

Coldest game thread on 13:22 - Oct 6 by textbackup

Middlesbrough away, alun Armstrong 2-0 win.

Also, Middlesbrough at home, the one that got called off, was fecking freezing!
Coldest game thread on 13:30 - Oct 6 with 2856 viewsSitfcB

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/8528139.stm

This one for me, pitch was frozen by the end of the game.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Coldest game thread on 13:34 - Oct 6 with 2831 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Against Oldham in about 1987. The match would not have been playes had they not the artificial turf pitch.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Coldest game thread on 13:34 - Oct 6 with 2827 viewsbadadski

Ipswich vs Southampton youth cup final as I stupidly went out in a shirt only knowing I was going out on the drinks after. Coats were for losers then if you were going out. That’s was one cold night.
Coldest game thread on 13:35 - Oct 6 with 2826 viewsSteve_M

Coldest game thread on 13:24 - Oct 6 by TheBoyBlue

My coldest match wasn't actually an Ipswich one. Watched Bolton vs Tranmere one December. Never felt cold like it before or since! Thankfully the game finished 3-2 (to Tranmere) so at least it kept us entertained!

I watched Rotherham - Notts County back in December 2012 (same day we won 2-1 at Bolton with Chopra in the last minute) and that was absolutely freezing as well. Decent game there as well as it's one thing watching Town in bad conditions and another random games.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

Coldest game thread on 13:48 - Oct 6 with 2785 viewsRadlett_blue

Coldest game thread on 13:28 - Oct 6 by StNeotsBlue

Bristol Rovers away, think it was in the Cup, open terrace, wind howling and hail stones like golf balls. I, along with many other went and hid in the bogs to escape it, only time I can honestly say I couldn't care what happened on the pitch.

I assume you mean the 1-1 draw at the Memorial Ground in January 1998. I think it had been very wet & there was some doubt about the game being on, but I went down by train. It's an odd little ground. I don't think I was on the open terrace, but I still remember being pelted by hail & Mick Stockwell scoring an equaliser in a 1-1 draw. Unpleasant but nowhere near as cold as the infamous Charlton away game.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Coldest game thread on 13:49 - Oct 6 with 2778 viewsGlasgowBlue

Ipswich V West Brom. Quarter Final of the League Cup in late November 2010.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Coldest game thread on 13:49 - Oct 6 with 2784 viewsJackSted

Coldest game thread on 13:30 - Oct 6 by le2blue

I was there, my feet we're literally frozen. Seem to remember one of our CBs cracked a bone after falling on the ice too

TWTD Supervillain
Poll: Is Lambert the right man for the job?

Coldest game thread on 13:52 - Oct 6 with 2766 viewsIscaBlue

Sunderland away New Year's Day 2001 - that North Sea wind was biting.

I also remember the England U21 v Czech Republic at Portman Road in 1998 - I'm sure my feet froze to the concrete.
Coldest game thread on 13:52 - Oct 6 with 2759 viewsLRB84UK

Coldest game thread on 13:48 - Oct 6 by Radlett_blue

I assume you mean the 1-1 draw at the Memorial Ground in January 1998. I think it had been very wet & there was some doubt about the game being on, but I went down by train. It's an odd little ground. I don't think I was on the open terrace, but I still remember being pelted by hail & Mick Stockwell scoring an equaliser in a 1-1 draw. Unpleasant but nowhere near as cold as the infamous Charlton away game.

We stood along the side, I was front row, every time a player ran past we got splattered with mud! Had to contend with rain, hail and flying mud that day
Coldest game thread on 13:59 - Oct 6 with 2739 viewsIllinoisblue

Coldest game thread on 13:52 - Oct 6 by IscaBlue

Sunderland away New Year's Day 2001 - that North Sea wind was biting.

I also remember the England U21 v Czech Republic at Portman Road in 1998 - I'm sure my feet froze to the concrete.

Yeah that was a cold one. Operating on about 15 pints and two hours of kip. Early goal then we caved in.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Coldest game thread on 14:02 - Oct 6 with 2689 viewsBent_double

Coldest game thread on 13:30 - Oct 6 by le2blue

Yeah, imagine being stupid enough to forget a coat for that one

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Coldest game thread on 14:20 - Oct 6 with 2629 viewsChurchman

Coventry away around Christmas time. We’d been in Leicester staying with Mrs Cs cousin and took the game in on the way home. Now Highfield Rd was always cold, even in August. No idea why. It just was. But this game topped the lot. It was headache inducing cold, breath coming out like the Flying Scotsman at full chat.

At half time I shuffled to a crummy kiosk for a couple of Bovrils. Two plastic cups of lava. We warmed our hands for about 30 mins on it before swallowing the horror within. Lifesaver. I don’t remember the score - I think it was a draw but quite frankly, I didn’t give a monkeys. Never was a heater in the car afterwards enjoyed more.

Another one was Bristol Rovers at Eastville with snow on the ground in the mid 80s. Brennan scored from miles out with a fluke cannon off his shins but the abiding memory was the clouds of steam coming out of each end of the portaloo. The thing was though, with standing and a reasonable size crowd, the crowd tended to keep you warm. The real problem was sitting down.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2022 14:22]
Coldest game thread on 14:22 - Oct 6 with 2630 viewsChiefXL

Coldest game thread on 13:49 - Oct 6 by GlasgowBlue

Ipswich V West Brom. Quarter Final of the League Cup in late November 2010.

That was my choice as well
The lad that went to Norwich, Muamba or something (?) ran the show
Coldest game thread on 14:29 - Oct 6 with 2584 viewsDanTheMan

Coldest I've actually felt was at an MK Dons game when it was at the Hockey Stadium and it absolutely pissed it down. I was quite young at the time and was not dressed for the weather. Awful.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Coldest game thread on 14:32 - Oct 6 with 2575 viewsMach_foreignBlue

A midweek night at Scunthorpe back in 2009/10 when David Healy scored and and we drew 1-1.
Coldest game thread on 14:38 - Oct 6 with 2560 viewsswede

Bristol Rovers away again, but this time the FA Cup match in January 1978. Snow covering the pitch with only the lines cleared. The match played with an orange ball and players sliding about all over.
We were stood on open terracing in a vast bowl of an ancient stadium with acres between us and the action. Was there a dog track or speedway track around the pitch? My memory fails. I only remember it being bitterly cold and going so close to being knocked out of the cup until a Robin Turner equaliser saved us and made it 2-2.
Who knew that day what delights the cup would bring us four months later!
[Post edited 6 Oct 2022 14:38]
Coldest game thread on 14:39 - Oct 6 with 2555 viewssolemio

Can't remember the year, but it was a Friday evening game at FPR against Tranmere Rovers. All the players of both sides played as if they were frozen. The quality of the match was as low as the temperature.
Coldest game thread on 14:52 - Oct 6 with 2517 viewsgainsboroughblue

Coldest game thread on 13:48 - Oct 6 by Radlett_blue

To my memory, we have played away at Bristol Rovers three times in freezing cold conditions. 1978, 1985 and 1998.

In the FA Cup I should add.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2022 15:00]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Coldest game thread on 14:58 - Oct 6 with 2500 viewsRyorry

Can't believe our game v. Leicester in the snow hasn't been mentioned yet, with Scotty winning it for us with his 2 goals! Wanting us to always play in snow became a standing joke on here for months.

Think it was this one -

https://www.11v11.com/matches/ipswich-town-v-leicester-city-18-december-2010-293

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Coldest game thread on 14:58 - Oct 6 with 2492 viewsDublinblu

Coldest game thread on 13:28 - Oct 6 by StNeotsBlue

If that's the game I think it was it was the FA Cup 3rd round in 1978. The match was played on an absolutely frozen pitch and I think the one and only Robin Turner got the equaliser. If I recall correctly, I think the final pitch inspection was at around 1pm and by that time the majority of town fans were in Bristol.
And yep, it was bloody cold!
Coldest game thread on 15:02 - Oct 6 with 2467 viewsjontysnut

Not a Town game but Scarborough v Darlington at the Theatre of Chips. Wind blowing in across the North Sea from Siberia. I had a newspaper with me and I ended up stuffing it down my trousers. Got a bovril from the tea hut and in the 20 yards to the stand it had gone cold.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024