Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate 21:57 - Dec 29 with 4366 viewsStewart27

Sorry.

I rarely start a thread. But the amount of posters on here tonight who are blaming this lack of striker is really p!sing me off.

We score 2 goals away to a top team, but again this gets overlooked because we simply concede at will. We were never under the cosh tonight, but apparently this mysterious number 9 is our issue.
I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 10:05 - Dec 30 with 1008 viewsringwoodblue

Even before TJJ got injured I thought we needed another striker but now that he is out we must get someone else in.

If Freddie gets injured we just have Ahadme who is unproven and Jackson who works hard for the team but is not a goalscorer.

I am fed up too so let’s just get a decent striker in Jan and then we can all move onto a different debate.

Poll: How do you feel about the EADT digital subscription?

I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 10:58 - Dec 30 with 965 viewsVegtablue

100% in respect to your title. It feels obvious to the degree that I'm surprised there's a debate on this. Who or what type of striker would be more pertinent discussion IMO.

I agree with you about conceding at will but I wouldn't package these two together. It is worrying how often we've conceded from opponents' one or two moments in the game. I don't think that was the case yesterday mind you; Portsmouth attacked the box on a number of occasions. Cheltenham was a good example of this.

Separate to the defensive frailties we've seen more of in the second quarter of the season, we are routinely putting in performances that would expect more goals - last night not being an example of this. Our goals, compared to our expected goals, compared to the rest of the division suggests this as an area we can and should improve on. If Ladapo can't be improved on as our #1, we can certainly provide him with more support/competition than he has now.

Pompey was one of a number of games where we've looked quite blunt in the final third. Harness and Chaplin are great support strikers not renowned for their creative support play. Ladapo's strength isn't attacking crosses into the box. We're obviously not at a level where we may expect needle-threading balls of the like Man City deploy, but it would be useful to find alternative ways to create more chances when not gifted space.
I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 11:02 - Dec 30 with 958 viewsVic

I really don’t get to many games so my opinion may not be valid, but the stats show we are the divisions tops scorers. This strongly suggests to me that the real problem is our defence or defending. Otherwise we’re back in the Kevin Keegan school of tactics that says ‘ forget how many we concede, let’s just make sure we score more’. Now that’s fun to watch, but actually fails in every single case (including Joe Royals).

Our big need to is to stop conceding silly goals. I’m sure KM knows that and is why he bought in Richard Keogh. Unfortunately that, for me, has gone quite to plan, as he hasn’t been able to play and when he has it seems like this season is one too many for him.

Get the defence sorted and the ‘lack of goals’ (did I mention that were the divisions tops scorers?) will be sorted too.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 11:19 - Dec 30 with 932 viewsSixto6

I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 22:04 - Dec 29 by FrimleyBlue

id' prefer dale over burns personally and i'd take bishop over jackson,

Dale over Burns ????? Really ????
Just remember Wes hardly had a summer break after getting into the Wales squad - all this off the back of him being our player of the season !
I know he has scored as many this season but do you think our opposition might just be paying more attention to stopping him now ?
Maybe Wes is a bit smarmy too ???
I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 11:21 - Dec 30 with 928 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 09:50 - Dec 30 by ElephantintheRoom

Especially as we gifted a striker to Barnsley who might be getting their revenge on the play offs

Good for Norwood. Didn't realise the play-offs owed him some revenge, though.

We need to worry about ourselves. If we drop into the play-offs it will be because of our own form; we need to ensure we are good enough.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 11:23 - Dec 30 with 903 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 11:19 - Dec 30 by Sixto6

Just remember Wes hardly had a summer break after getting into the Wales squad - all this off the back of him being our player of the season !
I know he has scored as many this season but do you think our opposition might just be paying more attention to stopping him now ?

It is a classic case of when you don't watch a player every week they become better than the ones you do watch. It would be handy to get Burns back to what he was last season but I think he is far closer to it than many give him credit for.

I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 11:27 - Dec 30 with 896 viewsFrimleyBlue

I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 11:19 - Dec 30 by Sixto6

Even KM made a point that Burns wasn't overworked in the summer. Christ he made a squad but barely played.

And no its not because of opponents. He just isn't playing with the same intensity as he was last season. There's no desire to beat a man. Last night he couldn't even get himself past a roaming donacien at one point. Donacien had to stop. Turn and play It back. Whereas last year he'd have been deep to the byline to receive the ball in an attacking position.

Not to mention the continuous needless fouls.

People are crying out for more creativity. Yet no one dislikes harness. Chaplin. Burns. Morsy. Evans. Donacien. Wolfenden. Burgess. Davis. Edmundson.

Are we sure the problems are solely down to ladapo and Jackson??

There will be some changes in the team... but go by the majority of the posters on here..there's no one to replace...
[Post edited 30 Dec 2022 11:31]

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 11:30 - Dec 30 with 899 viewsPhilTWTD

Not sure goals is entirely the reason for the discussion. I'm not sure our current number nines offer enough in general and I think that's been the case all season and clearly the club felt they needed other options in the summer when they tried to sign Hirst and then Will Keane. I certainly think Keane would have been a significant step up.

Ahadme hasn't really made an impression so far, the injury obviously didn't help him, but he was less experienced than we would ideally have wanted and looks one for the future.

For me, a number nine should be top of the January list and I know they are very keen on Evan Ferguson with I'm sure other options also being looked at.
Login to get fewer ads

I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 11:31 - Dec 30 with 888 viewsFrimleyBlue

I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 11:30 - Dec 30 by PhilTWTD

Not sure goals is entirely the reason for the discussion. I'm not sure our current number nines offer enough in general and I think that's been the case all season and clearly the club felt they needed other options in the summer when they tried to sign Hirst and then Will Keane. I certainly think Keane would have been a significant step up.

Ahadme hasn't really made an impression so far, the injury obviously didn't help him, but he was less experienced than we would ideally have wanted and looks one for the future.

For me, a number nine should be top of the January list and I know they are very keen on Evan Ferguson with I'm sure other options also being looked at.

Is that the level of our promotion ambitious though. A loan of an untested 18 year old?

Waka waka eh eh

I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 11:32 - Dec 30 with 889 viewsBlueNomad

I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 22:09 - Dec 29 by Swansea_Blue

Yes they do. The guy that won them a point has 50% more goals than his equivalent in our team. Their free kick Evans would be proud of. They defended with a tenacity we didn’t show at times, etc.

To the OP, it’s fairly simple. Goals win games. Their number nine had one chance and buried it. Ours had 3 including 2 very good ones and missed them all, effectively losing us 2 points. I like Freddie and want him to succeed, but nobody would call him prolific. Fine margins and all that.

But yes, we have to defend their 2nd goal better. That’s a separate issue.

He often seems to be back on his heels when the ball comes across the box
I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 11:42 - Dec 30 with 862 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 11:31 - Dec 30 by FrimleyBlue

Is that the level of our promotion ambitious though. A loan of an untested 18 year old?

"with I'm sure other options also being looked at."

I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 11:47 - Dec 30 with 853 viewsFrimleyBlue

I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 11:42 - Dec 30 by Nthsuffolkblue

"with I'm sure other options also being looked at."

Of course, im just suprised a loan of an 18 year old is even under consideration at this stage of the season.

Waka waka eh eh

I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 11:47 - Dec 30 with 849 viewsPhilTWTD

I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 11:31 - Dec 30 by FrimleyBlue

I know what you mean, it's a lot of responsibility to put on an 18-year-old, even if Ferguson is a very highly-rated 18-year-old. That said, KMc has shown he's willing to have faith in young, inexperienced players with Davis having made about 20 senior appearances before we paid £1m for him.

I have wondered whether we might also want someone more senior to come in as the regular starter, but I've not heard any names other than Keane in the summer and not sure whether he'd be a viable target in January.

January is difficult as fewer players available and ideally we'd want someone who will be up to playing in the Championship rather than for six months if we're going to be paying significant money for them.
I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 11:49 - Dec 30 with 836 viewspointofblue

Would be disappointed if they sign Ferguson or someone similar. Young, unproven, just bleeding another player for a Premier League side. Maybe he is the answer, and would make me eat my words, but a young unproven loanee would leave me feeling flat.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 11:49 - Dec 30 with 836 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 11:47 - Dec 30 by FrimleyBlue

Of course, im just suprised a loan of an 18 year old is even under consideration at this stage of the season.

To replace John-Jules mainly. Something different from the bench. Get Wickham or someone similar in too and we have cover for Ladapo and different options to change games as well. I am sure we are looking at building a squad and not randomly collecting the best players we think we can sign.

I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 12:21 - Dec 30 with 806 viewsFrimleyBlue

I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 11:49 - Dec 30 by Nthsuffolkblue

To replace John-Jules mainly. Something different from the bench. Get Wickham or someone similar in too and we have cover for Ladapo and different options to change games as well. I am sure we are looking at building a squad and not randomly collecting the best players we think we can sign.

Isn't the young fella just a young version of Wickham?

Waka waka eh eh

I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 12:33 - Dec 30 with 789 viewsVic

I really hope (and expect) other options are being looked at. To hope that a young, untried player is going to be the catalyst to push us over the line is a bit of a gamble - and tbh, not what most people are expecting (not that I expect KM Ashton, et al, to listen to us on TWTD!). If we must get a new spearhead and not a TJJ replacement then I think we should be getting a Marcus Stewart type signing - someone with a track record and can hit the ground running.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 12:39 - Dec 30 with 782 viewsRyorry

I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 11:47 - Dec 30 by PhilTWTD

I know what you mean, it's a lot of responsibility to put on an 18-year-old, even if Ferguson is a very highly-rated 18-year-old. That said, KMc has shown he's willing to have faith in young, inexperienced players with Davis having made about 20 senior appearances before we paid £1m for him.

I have wondered whether we might also want someone more senior to come in as the regular starter, but I've not heard any names other than Keane in the summer and not sure whether he'd be a viable target in January.

January is difficult as fewer players available and ideally we'd want someone who will be up to playing in the Championship rather than for six months if we're going to be paying significant money for them.

Was said on another thread, and I agree, that right now we should be concentrating 100% on going up & getting out of this league. We may not get such a good chance again for years.

We can deal with the Champ if and when we get there. First things first. If we don't cross the line, our planning for it, at least re short-term considerations like who's in our squad, would be wasted.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 12:39 - Dec 30 with 780 viewsFrimleyBlue

I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 12:33 - Dec 30 by Vic

I really hope (and expect) other options are being looked at. To hope that a young, untried player is going to be the catalyst to push us over the line is a bit of a gamble - and tbh, not what most people are expecting (not that I expect KM Ashton, et al, to listen to us on TWTD!). If we must get a new spearhead and not a TJJ replacement then I think we should be getting a Marcus Stewart type signing - someone with a track record and can hit the ground running.

But it's not even like JJ had been a massive miss either. He blew hot and cold. We missed him whilst others were out but I can't say our performances have dropped without him in the team. He himself is just a young lad.

Waka waka eh eh

I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 13:07 - Dec 30 with 746 viewsjaykay

I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 22:09 - Dec 29 by strikalite

"That said, we need more than we have up front and with JJ out of the picture we do need a replacement."

Yep, we lack options upfront off the bench, don't need to be quick, an old head who can come on when we need a goal when like tonight they're camped deep..

i'm not knocking jj but why do people think he is a goal scorer. evans has scored the same amount goals as he has with the same amount of games

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 13:09 - Dec 30 with 741 viewsFrimleyBlue

I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 13:07 - Dec 30 by jaykay

i'm not knocking jj but why do people think he is a goal scorer. evans has scored the same amount goals as he has with the same amount of games

I liked him as a 10 sub. Fresh legs etc. But that's about it for me.

Waka waka eh eh

I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 13:22 - Dec 30 with 736 viewsBobbychase

Agreed. We conceded a very sloppy goal from a set piece and the focus is weirdly, almost instantly, on whether we get enough crosses into the box or play enough through balls.

When we have scored 46 goals, three clear of Plymouth and six more than Wednesday. Sixteen more than supposed hotshots Barnsley.

Plus we will strengthen in January and it's likely to be in the forward areas.

We've had our wobbly spell, I hope, with Evans, Aluko, Ball, TJJ, Leigh and Harness all injured at once, and yet we're still the division's top scorers. Imagine how many we will score with everyone back fit and new additions.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 14:14 - Dec 30 with 697 viewsMetal_Hacker

We don’t need a striker ( albeit I’d take one )

We don’t need a defender ( albeit I’d take one )

We need a spark , a creative player that can unlock these low blocks

Who that is I really don’t know but a Celina-esque type player , Scott Twine etc and they might chip in with the odd goal themselves

What we have is great but it’s too reliant on the numbers 10’s (Chaplin/Harness) for the most who tend to run hot and cold which is usually the nature of these types of players I guess. We need a little more consistency in that area

Just my twopeneth

Poll: If it were one or the other

I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 14:25 - Dec 30 with 668 viewskeighleyblue

I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 22:09 - Dec 29 by Swansea_Blue

Yes they do. The guy that won them a point has 50% more goals than his equivalent in our team. Their free kick Evans would be proud of. They defended with a tenacity we didn’t show at times, etc.

To the OP, it’s fairly simple. Goals win games. Their number nine had one chance and buried it. Ours had 3 including 2 very good ones and missed them all, effectively losing us 2 points. I like Freddie and want him to succeed, but nobody would call him prolific. Fine margins and all that.

But yes, we have to defend their 2nd goal better. That’s a separate issue.

Freddie's chances weren't exactly tap ins from a yard out.
I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 14:31 - Dec 30 with 634 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I’m fed up with the lack of striker debate on 12:21 - Dec 30 by FrimleyBlue

Isn't the young fella just a young version of Wickham?

No. Wickham isn't an 18-year-old Premier loan which is why you were questioning the potential signing. If you expect him to be as good as someone with Wickham's experience, why would you question it? Doh!

I expect we will get an experienced player that fits our style and someone like this Ferguson in. Who they will be time will tell.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024