Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago 14:37 - Mar 7 with 8140 viewsunstableblue

Saw this tweet!

That’s Ipswich at home against Wolves in the Championship

That crowd was pathetic.

The game was described as drab

Stuart Watson headlines ‘the usual tedium has returned’ and added
“ Ipswich Town fans had to sit through a typically stale spectacle at Portman Road this evening, a goalless affair with relegation-battling Wolves making it six draws from seven for Mick McCarthy’s men.” And “ The crowd was so quiet that you could hear skipper Luke Chambers shout ‘liven up’ at his team-mates at one stage”

Wolves we’re on an awful run, 6 defeats in a row, and we mustered 43% and 3 shots

And we had Lawrence and McGoldrick up front!! Jesus wept

There were 15,000 in Portman Road to watch Wolves in the Championship.

There will be 25,000 tonight against Accrington Stanley in League One

Never forget!!!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 07:40 - Mar 8 with 835 viewsSwansea_Blue

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 22:48 - Mar 7 by Churchman

Agree with that. As one of the bored senseless there, the ground looked as empty as I felt.

I wasn’t, but the games I went to around that time are the worst period of supporting us in 45 years or so. Utterly grim. We’ve certainly had bad matches at other times, but in terms of a sustained period of decline, dullness and disinterest it’s the worst period I’ve known. The idea that the club is in worst shape now is laughable. We’re in a worst league because of the incompetence and neglect under Evans, but the club is in a MUCH better place. As the extra 12-15,000 fans in FPR prove.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 07:53 - Mar 8 with 799 viewsHerbivore

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 07:40 - Mar 8 by Swansea_Blue

I wasn’t, but the games I went to around that time are the worst period of supporting us in 45 years or so. Utterly grim. We’ve certainly had bad matches at other times, but in terms of a sustained period of decline, dullness and disinterest it’s the worst period I’ve known. The idea that the club is in worst shape now is laughable. We’re in a worst league because of the incompetence and neglect under Evans, but the club is in a MUCH better place. As the extra 12-15,000 fans in FPR prove.

I think the Hurst/Lambert/Cook trinity of ineptitude trumps it for me. The performances were largely abject, often just as uncreative as under Mick but with the added bonus of little organisation either. The relegation season was dross and until McKenna came in the performances in League 1 had been similarly abject in what is essentially a glorified pub league. No doubt we're in a better place now than at our nadir, but we simply have to get out of this division.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 08:02 - Mar 8 with 780 viewsSwansea_Blue

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 07:53 - Mar 8 by Herbivore

I think the Hurst/Lambert/Cook trinity of ineptitude trumps it for me. The performances were largely abject, often just as uncreative as under Mick but with the added bonus of little organisation either. The relegation season was dross and until McKenna came in the performances in League 1 had been similarly abject in what is essentially a glorified pub league. No doubt we're in a better place now than at our nadir, but we simply have to get out of this division.

Agreed, I was wrapping all that up under the Evans years. Mick bored me witless, but it wasn’t any better under Lambert and Cook except in very short spells. There’s not a lot between all the dross served up under Evans. Decline was the only constant. It feels like we’ve stopped that now, but yes we must get out of this league. If we don’t this year, we will next I’m fairly sure.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 08:10 - Mar 8 with 776 viewsChurchman

Interesting that in the August of that season, we played Norwich at home. Crowd was 23350. For Leeds in Feb it was 18748. Our biggest crowd was Newcastle at 25684, last game when they were on the beach with the pina coladas.

15,000, 16,000 was a normal half decent gate that season. We are now averaging 25k. Maybe some people were just too deluded to understand and relish the sunlit glories of the Evans era and missed out?

No they didn’t. I remember the anticipation and joy of trudging to PR in November to watch us play Forest at home. It was bitterly cold. I knew we’d lose. Most of the 15417 that packed out PR did. On the few occasions we got the ball, seeing it launched up the pitch to nobody was just a joy to behold. Luckily only 2-0 down at half time.

There was more chance of Putin getting a peace prize than us getting anything so I left early cold and angry. One of only three occasions I’ve done that. It wasn’t getting played off the pitch. I was used to that. It was the manner of how we were trying to play and the whole run down, decaying, declining feel to the club. Everything was rubbish about it.

Yes, there are very good reasons why attendances have shot up. We might be in a lower division, but the contrast in every way to 2016/17 is stark.

Decline? I think not!
Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 08:44 - Mar 8 with 750 viewschicoazul

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 23:33 - Mar 7 by Ryorry

To save any speculation, I reported that as abuse because for me, to refer to ITFC as “a dying club” is so unacceptably beyond the pale that anyone expressing that view on this site simply shouldn’t be here. Sorry, but there are limits.

Lol what

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 08:48 - Mar 8 with 731 viewschicoazul

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 07:31 - Mar 8 by Kropotkin123

They said "we are no longer in decline" in capital letters. They didn't say "we have achieved something". If you are going to invent things to argue against, you might as well reply and argue against yourself.

Back to their point - "we are no longer in decline". Please explain how 3rd is a lower league position than 11th. If you cannot, you should be in agreement that we are no longer in decline.

I don’t know if it’s fair to say we are no longer in decline since we haven’t achieved anything yet. After all we may still finish 11th this season, as unlikely as that is. And if you’re saying “10th is an improvement on 11th” then you have a technical point but not to my mind a good one.
I’m fact if we don’t get promotion this season I think there is authentic reason to fear for the clubs future.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 09:04 - Mar 8 with 721 viewsRyorry

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 08:44 - Mar 8 by chicoazul

Lol what

You are on the primary forum for ITFC *supporters*. For you to write “ supporting a club that has been in terminal decline for 15 years and is presently cocking up automatic promotion? I like to think of myself as an obituarist of a dying club”

"Dying club" ? When the Club has been massively on the up, both on the pitch and off, for the past two years, is a shocking statement, disrespectful to owners, manager, players, coaching and other staff, and us on this site. I think it’s inevitable you’ll get questioned about why you’re still here.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2023 9:47]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 09:56 - Mar 8 with 694 viewspatrickswell

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 08:10 - Mar 8 by Churchman

Interesting that in the August of that season, we played Norwich at home. Crowd was 23350. For Leeds in Feb it was 18748. Our biggest crowd was Newcastle at 25684, last game when they were on the beach with the pina coladas.

15,000, 16,000 was a normal half decent gate that season. We are now averaging 25k. Maybe some people were just too deluded to understand and relish the sunlit glories of the Evans era and missed out?

No they didn’t. I remember the anticipation and joy of trudging to PR in November to watch us play Forest at home. It was bitterly cold. I knew we’d lose. Most of the 15417 that packed out PR did. On the few occasions we got the ball, seeing it launched up the pitch to nobody was just a joy to behold. Luckily only 2-0 down at half time.

There was more chance of Putin getting a peace prize than us getting anything so I left early cold and angry. One of only three occasions I’ve done that. It wasn’t getting played off the pitch. I was used to that. It was the manner of how we were trying to play and the whole run down, decaying, declining feel to the club. Everything was rubbish about it.

Yes, there are very good reasons why attendances have shot up. We might be in a lower division, but the contrast in every way to 2016/17 is stark.

Decline? I think not!

Point of order, the Newcastle game was not our last home game of that season and they still hadn’t clinched promotion when we beat them, so there was no on the beach mentality from them.
Login to get fewer ads

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 10:39 - Mar 8 with 673 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 15:15 - Mar 7 by chicoazul

It was a lot better than now if that’s what you mean.

A lot better

What do you miss from then?

Marcus Evans' era and his 5 points/5 years plans and his pre-staged 'interviews'?

A crushing disconnection between the club and fanbase which resulted in Portman Road having been so quiet and more than half empty many times?

An utter pr*ck mccarthy caring only about himself and mocking and insulting our fanbase, making plenty of derogatory comments?

And the reason of where we are now is the players from that era, the 'proper blokes' whom you venerate. They took us down without any semblance of fight, they showed no heart or desire at all. Did you applaud and clapped them off after the relegation had been confirmed following the Birmingham game?

It was a lot better, wasn't it? Tell us what you miss
[Post edited 8 Mar 2023 10:40]
Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 11:51 - Mar 8 with 620 viewschicoazul

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 10:39 - Mar 8 by Mach_foreignBlue

A lot better

Marcus Evans' era and his 5 points/5 years plans and his pre-staged 'interviews'?

A crushing disconnection between the club and fanbase which resulted in Portman Road having been so quiet and more than half empty many times?

An utter pr*ck mccarthy caring only about himself and mocking and insulting our fanbase, making plenty of derogatory comments?

And the reason of where we are now is the players from that era, the 'proper blokes' whom you venerate. They took us down without any semblance of fight, they showed no heart or desire at all. Did you applaud and clapped them off after the relegation had been confirmed following the Birmingham game?

Playing in the championship.

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 11:55 - Mar 8 with 617 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 11:51 - Mar 8 by chicoazul

And those factors which I have mentioned were never a problem for you, eh?
Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 12:09 - Mar 8 with 596 viewschicoazul

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 11:55 - Mar 8 by Mach_foreignBlue

And those factors which I have mentioned were never a problem for you, eh?

You asked me what I miss.

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 12:20 - Mar 8 with 573 viewsRyorry

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 10:39 - Mar 8 by Mach_foreignBlue

A lot better

Don't forget Phil being banned from pressers etc.

There couldn't have been a clearer sign of ME's sheer ignorance, ineptitude & lack of care regarding anything to do with football and paying customers, let alone ITFC.

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 12:30 - Mar 8 with 565 viewsRyorry

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 11:51 - Mar 8 by chicoazul

"Better to die on your feet fighting for promotion from L1 with beautiful, exciting football, than to live on your knees bored & depressed watching dross & knowing relegation from the Championship & further decline are inevitable".

With apologies to the late Mexican revolutionary leader Emiliano Zapata (1879—1919) for adapting his quote to 21stC football.

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 12:33 - Mar 8 with 559 viewsportmanking

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 08:48 - Mar 8 by chicoazul

I don’t know if it’s fair to say we are no longer in decline since we haven’t achieved anything yet. After all we may still finish 11th this season, as unlikely as that is. And if you’re saying “10th is an improvement on 11th” then you have a technical point but not to my mind a good one.
I’m fact if we don’t get promotion this season I think there is authentic reason to fear for the clubs future.

We may still finish 11th?

You are a complete and utter parody account these days.
Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 12:43 - Mar 8 with 548 viewsTractorCam

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 12:09 - Mar 8 by chicoazul

You miss turning up to a half empty, silent Portman Road, knowing you're about to watch a boring game and probably not win... just because it's the Championship?

Yikes. Here's hoping we go up so you can have a fresh perspective on what would hopefully be a much better looking Championship.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 12:48 - Mar 8 with 540 viewsChurchman

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 09:56 - Mar 8 by patrickswell

Point of order, the Newcastle game was not our last home game of that season and they still hadn’t clinched promotion when we beat them, so there was no on the beach mentality from them.

You are right, of course. I missed the Sheffield Wednesday miserable 1-0 home defeat in front of 19,000. And yes, Newcastle were not on the beach, but they’d certainly poured the pina coladas and packed the budgie smugglers.

They played us with four games to go and were promoted by nine points so were nailed on. That’s my memory of it at the time, though given my memory, I may be wrong.
Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 13:56 - Mar 8 with 497 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 12:09 - Mar 8 by chicoazul

You have used the kind of wrong term. Playing in the Championship you have said? We were participating in the Championship. Drifting along, no ambitions, no targets. Therefore we were always going to be relegated under Evans.

Add to this the others factors which I had mentioned beforehand. Very dark and depressing era.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2023 13:56]
Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 13:59 - Mar 8 with 488 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 12:20 - Mar 8 by Ryorry

There couldn't have been a clearer sign of ME's sheer ignorance, ineptitude & lack of care regarding anything to do with football and paying customers, let alone ITFC.

But we had a big number of fans defending Evans. Defending the worst ever person associated with this club. Hopeless happy clappers.
Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 14:22 - Mar 8 with 468 viewsN2_Blue

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 14:49 - Mar 7 by chicoazul

Yeah god forbid we have one of our best players of the last 15 years who subsequently went to the premier league up front eh. Give me Hirst any day!11!1

what a feckin dumb post.

More a travesty we played like we did when we had that special player. No surprise he's had stellar seasons since he left...despite being older, over his injuries and excelling in teams that play a feck load more football than we did then.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 14:23 - Mar 8 with 465 viewsN2_Blue

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 15:15 - Mar 7 by chicoazul

It was a lot better than now if that’s what you mean.

nope you're dumber than i thought

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 14:25 - Mar 8 with 460 viewschicoazul

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 13:56 - Mar 8 by Mach_foreignBlue

You have used the kind of wrong term. Playing in the Championship you have said? We were participating in the Championship. Drifting along, no ambitions, no targets. Therefore we were always going to be relegated under Evans.

Add to this the others factors which I had mentioned beforehand. Very dark and depressing era.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2023 13:56]

Mach - what do you miss
Chico - playing in the Championship
Mach - you have used the kind of wrong term

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 14:49 - Mar 8 with 444 viewspatrickswell

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 12:20 - Mar 8 by Ryorry

The "proper blokes" were always going to struggle when they go from playing with Murphy, McGoldrick, Waghorn, Garner, Berra, Webster etc to having to play alongside Nolan, Harrison, Jackson (who is damned lucky to still be here) and Nsiala.
Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 15:22 - Mar 8 with 433 viewsitfcjoe

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 14:49 - Mar 8 by patrickswell

The "proper blokes" were always going to struggle when they go from playing with Murphy, McGoldrick, Waghorn, Garner, Berra, Webster etc to having to play alongside Nolan, Harrison, Jackson (who is damned lucky to still be here) and Nsiala.

And for all talk of 'participating' in Championship we finished in the top half 4 seasons out of 5, plus from time Jewell was sacked we were something like 7th or 8th best team over rest of season.

So for the remainder of the first Mick season (7th or 8th best side), his second season (9th), his 3rd season (6th) and his 4th season (7th) we have finished in the same position or higher than we have previously managed in L1 (11th, 9th and 11th),

That Mick and those players who achieved that is still seen as the boogeyman by some is strange - the football wasn't great at times, but the biggest issue was we had an owner who couldn't afford to match the bigger teams in the league for finances, and wasn't smart enough to match the traditionally smaller teams in the league for innovation, nimbleness, transfer prowess etc when we could out spend them.

After Mick left it had been 3 and a half season of rubbish management - but we've been saved by McKenna. And whilst we are playing well and look a good side we are doing so from a position where we are blowing away the rest of the division financially.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2023 15:26]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 15:36 - Mar 8 with 384 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 14:49 - Mar 8 by patrickswell

Are they free of criticism then?

They didn't even try. They didn't even instigate any efforts to save us from relegation.

Derby last season under the guidance of Jagielka and Davies had a number of young inexperienced players and a few free agents. Their efforts was very commendable. Compare their efforts to the Ipswichs 'proper blokes'.

What about life after relegation? Did they put 100% effort to get us promoted? No, life was easy for them. Disinterested owner in Evans, no pressure whatsoever, nice and easy payday. But somebody has to be blamed. So people blamed Lambert, like they did with Hurst. After Lambert people blamed Cook and said that the latter should have been more respectful to them during the Demolition Job
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024