Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago 14:37 - Mar 7 with 8136 viewsunstableblue

Saw this tweet!

That’s Ipswich at home against Wolves in the Championship

That crowd was pathetic.

The game was described as drab

Stuart Watson headlines ‘the usual tedium has returned’ and added
“ Ipswich Town fans had to sit through a typically stale spectacle at Portman Road this evening, a goalless affair with relegation-battling Wolves making it six draws from seven for Mick McCarthy’s men.” And “ The crowd was so quiet that you could hear skipper Luke Chambers shout ‘liven up’ at his team-mates at one stage”

Wolves we’re on an awful run, 6 defeats in a row, and we mustered 43% and 3 shots

And we had Lawrence and McGoldrick up front!! Jesus wept

There were 15,000 in Portman Road to watch Wolves in the Championship.

There will be 25,000 tonight against Accrington Stanley in League One

Never forget!!!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 18:54 - Mar 7 with 1016 viewsMattinLondon

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 18:52 - Mar 7 by EdwardF

Come on, don't spoil a good fantasy with the truth Gunthrum!

His assertion that things were better 6 years ago, ranks in the top 5 of the most idiotic/look at me comments ever posted on TWTD

Chico probably thinks that Marcus Evans did a good job here.
Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 18:59 - Mar 7 with 998 viewsCoastalblue

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 18:54 - Mar 7 by MattinLondon

Chico thinks?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 19:02 - Mar 7 with 990 viewschicoazul

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 18:49 - Mar 7 by waveneyblue

or perhaps - People can finally see light at the end of the tunnel, the style of football is good and there is a connection between the club and fans

But of course, you two doom mongers won't see it like that - because you just love being miserable

I'm sure I've asked before, but why do you support Ipswich, surely there must be something more miserable you can enjoy ?

What, more miserable than supporting a club that has been in terminal decline for 15 years and is presently cocking up automatic promotion? I like to think of myself as an obituarist of a dying club, one of the few people here now who can remember what it was.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 19:04 - Mar 7 with 980 viewschicoazul

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 18:54 - Mar 7 by MattinLondon

The majority of the Evans era are the sunny uplands that we are hoping to return to. I don’t think he did a good job; I said the period OP refers to was a better period than now.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 19:08 - Mar 7 with 966 viewswaveneyblue

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 19:02 - Mar 7 by chicoazul

What, more miserable than supporting a club that has been in terminal decline for 15 years and is presently cocking up automatic promotion? I like to think of myself as an obituarist of a dying club, one of the few people here now who can remember what it was.

But the reality is (this bit is important) WE ARE NO LONGER IN DECLINE,

We are unrecognisable from the shambles we were under Evans -

Yes, we are still in Division One, yes we are far from perfect but please stop embarassing yourself,
[Post edited 7 Mar 2023 19:12]
Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 19:15 - Mar 7 with 940 viewschicoazul

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 19:08 - Mar 7 by waveneyblue

But the reality is (this bit is important) WE ARE NO LONGER IN DECLINE,

We are unrecognisable from the shambles we were under Evans -

Yes, we are still in Division One, yes we are far from perfect but please stop embarassing yourself,
[Post edited 7 Mar 2023 19:12]

Well on the one hand I agree insofar as we have a clearly more professional and invested outfit but on the other we are *still* at one of our lowest ebbs in history *after* 2 years of new ownership. We haven’t achieved anything at all.

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 19:22 - Mar 7 with 925 viewsCoastalblue

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 19:15 - Mar 7 by chicoazul

Well on the one hand I agree insofar as we have a clearly more professional and invested outfit but on the other we are *still* at one of our lowest ebbs in history *after* 2 years of new ownership. We haven’t achieved anything at all.

What were we achieving six years ago to be in a better place, aside from stagnating and in a slow downward drift? On our inevitable way to where we are.

Yes we were in a higher division, is that the limit of achievment?

Even you can't argue that as a club we're not in a better place?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 19:24 - Mar 7 with 917 viewsBondiBlue

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 15:36 - Mar 7 by clive_baker

I've noticed this is where there's probably a difference between fans who go to games and those who don't. Not a criticism of those btw, everyone's circumstances are different and each to their own but when you go to games you want to see football being played, ambition, chances, goals etc. Where we are now is a million times better than that, despite the fact we're a league lower.

I suppose if you're not going to the game it becomes of a results business and league status, as you don't have to witness the journey and you're just interested in the outcome.

Sorry but you're way off. I've been watching every game on ifollow from sydney since it first came out (2016ish from memory). I stopped watching mick's turgid anti-football and have been having much more fun since the americans and mckenna especially came in. We all want the same thing. The internet is just its own beast - sometimes people like to be contrary.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Login to get fewer ads

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 19:29 - Mar 7 with 888 viewschicoazul

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 19:22 - Mar 7 by Coastalblue

What were we achieving six years ago to be in a better place, aside from stagnating and in a slow downward drift? On our inevitable way to where we are.

Yes we were in a higher division, is that the limit of achievment?

Even you can't argue that as a club we're not in a better place?

Since we are in fact in the division below, I can easily make that argument.

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 19:35 - Mar 7 with 875 viewsjudespiveyg

Exciting football in League One>>>>>>>>>>Boring cowardly football in the Championship. If you disagree you care too much about something you have zero control over. I can understand players having a win at all costs mentality but fans should prefer entertainment given that's precisely what watching football is for.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 19:38 - Mar 7 with 865 viewsandytown

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 19:35 - Mar 7 by judespiveyg

Exciting football in League One>>>>>>>>>>Boring cowardly football in the Championship. If you disagree you care too much about something you have zero control over. I can understand players having a win at all costs mentality but fans should prefer entertainment given that's precisely what watching football is for.

Was that when lambert was in charge at wolves?
Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 19:38 - Mar 7 with 865 viewsCoastalblue

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 19:29 - Mar 7 by chicoazul

Since we are in fact in the division below, I can easily make that argument.

Go ahead then, you've not done so up until now, just stated it was better then, we were in a league higher. That's not an argument, it's an opinion.

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 19:42 - Mar 7 with 856 viewschicoazul

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 19:38 - Mar 7 by Coastalblue

Go ahead then, you've not done so up until now, just stated it was better then, we were in a league higher. That's not an argument, it's an opinion.

Well it depends on how you define “a (good) place”.
If it’s a flotilla of expensive staff management and players, excellent socials, humping the likes of MK Dons and Ed Sheeran then yes you’ll think this is better.
If it’s playing in the Championship, the league we have spent the majority of our recent history in, with much better players then regardless of the above you will think we aren’t. So it depends on your perspective.

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 20:01 - Mar 7 with 834 viewsCoastalblue

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 19:42 - Mar 7 by chicoazul

If it’s a flotilla of expensive staff management and players, excellent socials, humping the likes of MK Dons and Ed Sheeran then yes you’ll think this is better.
If it’s playing in the Championship, the league we have spent the majority of our recent history in, with much better players then regardless of the above you will think we aren’t. So it depends on your perspective.

So essentially regardless of what else goes on, if we're owned by a despot, about to go bust, on the verge of a very big slide, playing awful football or have crowds of 10k none of that would matter as long as we were at least mid Championship level?

OK, well I guess we're all entitled to our opinions.

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 20:45 - Mar 7 with 820 viewsWestSussexBlue

BCWYWF eh.
Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 22:16 - Mar 7 with 777 viewsEdwardF

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 19:42 - Mar 7 by chicoazul

For most of the recent past we didn't play in the championship, we just survived (as evidence i point to the observation of David McG about the team having low to non-existent expectations and not being challenged my the manager to raise their horizons).

Eventually our slow, relentless and irreversible decline resulted in relegation.
The football, the stadium and the atmosphere? Turgid and depressing.

Poll: Hypothetically who would you prefer as your main striker:

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 22:48 - Mar 7 with 735 viewsChurchman

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 14:52 - Mar 7 by SitfcB

Doubt there were even 15,000. Probably 10/12,000.

Agree with that. As one of the bored senseless there, the ground looked as empty as I felt.
Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 22:58 - Mar 7 with 721 viewsMattinLondon

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 22:48 - Mar 7 by Churchman

Agree with that. As one of the bored senseless there, the ground looked as empty as I felt.

I remember that game well. My other half was heavily pregnant with our first and I went knowing that it could well be my last match for a while. Really excited…and all I got was that and a god awful journey back to London. Big bag of balls.

Mick out, ME out.
Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 23:16 - Mar 7 with 704 viewsRyorry

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 15:21 - Mar 7 by chicoazul

We were literally in the league above where we are now.

I sometimes wonder if football’s really your thing.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 23:33 - Mar 7 with 677 viewsRyorry

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 19:02 - Mar 7 by chicoazul

To save any speculation, I reported that as abuse because for me, to refer to ITFC as “a dying club” is so unacceptably beyond the pale that anyone expressing that view on this site simply shouldn’t be here. Sorry, but there are limits.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 23:51 - Mar 7 with 647 viewsChurchman

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 15:15 - Mar 7 by chicoazul

It was a lot better than now if that’s what you mean.

I don’t know what you were watching, but it really wasn’t. It was mind numbingly dreadful most of the time. We’d put in the odd good performance like beating Newcastle and the end of a season in a dead game but by and large it was scraping around. The attendances reflected that.
Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 23:59 - Mar 7 with 640 viewsChurchman

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 19:04 - Mar 7 by chicoazul

The majority of the Evans era are the sunny uplands that we are hoping to return to. I don’t think he did a good job; I said the period OP refers to was a better period than now.

There was nothing sunny about the Evans era. A few seasons where MM got the most from what he had available to defy gravity and even then a good percentage of the games were scratchy at best. Douglas, Skuse and Hyam: shiver.

You may yearn for the sunlit uplands of Evans, but I don’t. Had his claws not been prised off we would be in L2 by now or heading towards it; he was killing the club.

I am not hoping to return to the Championship. I’m hoping we will pass through it to the PL. Something that was unthinkable under Evans. If or when we get out of this dreadful league, I think we will do it too. I’ve seen zippo in the Championship to worry about.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2023 0:06]
Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 00:32 - Mar 8 with 615 viewsitfcbam

and still people moan. We aren't there yet but we are on right road
Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 07:31 - Mar 8 with 532 viewsKropotkin123

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 19:15 - Mar 7 by chicoazul

They said "we are no longer in decline" in capital letters. They didn't say "we have achieved something". If you are going to invent things to argue against, you might as well reply and argue against yourself.

Back to their point - "we are no longer in decline". Please explain how 3rd is a lower league position than 11th. If you cannot, you should be in agreement that we are no longer in decline.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 07:34 - Mar 8 with 516 viewsSwansea_Blue

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 14:49 - Mar 7 by chicoazul

Yeah god forbid we have one of our best players of the last 15 years who subsequently went to the premier league up front eh. Give me Hirst any day!11!1

You’ve fabulously missed the point there.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024