Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So what does the town need then.. 20:33 - Sep 13 with 5137 viewsFrimleyBlue

New swimming pool

New theatre.....

New carpark....

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

So what does the town need then.. on 20:36 - Sep 13 with 3557 viewsMattinLondon

Snoasis.
So what does the town need then.. on 21:20 - Sep 13 with 3454 viewsEdwardStone

Woolfy at the back and Freddy in attack

Or so I have heard
So what does the town need then.. on 21:50 - Sep 13 with 3398 views2-5-7

More people living and attracted to live in decent, affordable and cool town centre accommodation so that the town centre actually becomes vibrant again - actually scratch that - so it becomes nice full stop.

Ipswich has a legacy of a central shopping area that is quite big but no longer needed for its size.Need to repurpose some of the real estate, bring new and younger people in an up the game.

Stagnant right now.

Worked on the docks just needs same thought process to wider area.
So what does the town need then.. on 21:54 - Sep 13 with 3381 viewslizzibee

So what does the town need then.. on 20:36 - Sep 13 by MattinLondon

Snoasis.

Technically Great Blakenham not Ipswich
So what does the town need then.. on 21:57 - Sep 13 with 3376 viewsJ2BLUE

Not sure if it needs any of those.

Broomhill reopening would be nice though.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

So what does the town need then.. on 22:32 - Sep 13 with 3308 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Hooters

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

So what does the town need then.. on 06:55 - Sep 14 with 3055 viewsSheffordBlue

So what does the town need then.. on 21:57 - Sep 13 by J2BLUE

That would totally shaft my match day parking though!

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

So what does the town need then.. on 08:19 - Sep 14 with 2900 viewsiamatractorboy

Underground rail network?
Login to get fewer ads

So what does the town need then.. on 08:51 - Sep 14 with 2843 viewsWacko

Not a cathedral / airport

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

So what does the town need then.. on 08:58 - Sep 14 with 2830 viewsNthQldITFC

So what does the town need then.. on 08:19 - Sep 14 by iamatractorboy

Underground rail network?

No. They just need to promote the existing network more effectively, in my humble opinion. A lot of people don't even know it's there.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

So what does the town need then.. on 09:01 - Sep 14 with 2826 viewsBlueDouglas

Indoor market with a different set of traders every day of the week. Plenty of places near the town centre that could be refurbished, would bring people into the town.
So what does the town need then.. on 09:03 - Sep 14 with 2814 viewsblueasfook

Monorail monorail monorail

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

So what does the town need then.. on 09:55 - Sep 14 with 2735 viewsiamatractorboy

So what does the town need then.. on 09:03 - Sep 14 by blueasfook

Monorail monorail monorail

Nah, seems more of a *Norwich* idea...
So what does the town need then.. on 10:45 - Sep 14 with 2633 viewsjontysnut

So what does the town need then.. on 21:50 - Sep 13 by 2-5-7

More people living and attracted to live in decent, affordable and cool town centre accommodation so that the town centre actually becomes vibrant again - actually scratch that - so it becomes nice full stop.

Ipswich has a legacy of a central shopping area that is quite big but no longer needed for its size.Need to repurpose some of the real estate, bring new and younger people in an up the game.

Stagnant right now.

Worked on the docks just needs same thought process to wider area.

An identity. It's not a big shopping/retail destination nor, without a big student population, is it really a good place for independents. Too many big units left empty which as an earlier poster suggested need to be repurposed.
So what does the town need then.. on 10:47 - Sep 14 with 2615 viewsMediocre_Quick

So what does the town need then.. on 09:01 - Sep 14 by BlueDouglas

Indoor market with a different set of traders every day of the week. Plenty of places near the town centre that could be refurbished, would bring people into the town.

It somewhat technically has that in the old Peacocks building
So what does the town need then.. on 10:53 - Sep 14 with 2592 viewsSwansea_Blue

So what does the town need then.. on 21:57 - Sep 13 by J2BLUE

Why do you say that? Do you don't think the town doesn't need those sorts of facilities at all, or just that the current ones are ok? I'm out of touch - I haven't been to either the theatre or Crown Pools for at least 20 years, so I've no idea what state they're in.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2023 11:50]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

So what does the town need then.. on 11:51 - Sep 14 with 2506 views_clive_baker_

So what does the town need then.. on 10:53 - Sep 14 by Swansea_Blue

Why do you say that? Do you don't think the town doesn't need those sorts of facilities at all, or just that the current ones are ok? I'm out of touch - I haven't been to either the theatre or Crown Pools for at least 20 years, so I've no idea what state they're in.

Ipswich already has the Regent and New Wolsey theatres. NW in particular is excellent, I don't see much need for another.

As for swimming pools there's the relatively newly refurbished Fore Street Baths which is popular, as well as Crown Pools which is a decent facility, albeit dated. I believe there were plans to construct a new leisure facility & pool in the town, which would probably be a welcome addition.

The primary issues in the town centre is one facing many towns which is empty commercial and office units resulting from dwindling demand for bricks and mortar retail space and physical offices. Given the housing shortage it certainly feels like a good opportunity to repurpose some of those to residential, which solves those issues as well as creating more footfall and increased customer base for the businesses that remain. There's a lot of nice bars, pubs, restaurants, coffee shops etc in the town that no doubt would benefit from more residents in the local vicinity.

I think Ipswich lacks a bit relative to other towns and cities, but also has quite a bit going for it compared to many that you either have or you don't, especially historically, architecturally, and with regards to the parks, public areas & waterfront. There's no reason why the town couldn't be a desirable destination, but it'll only thrive by becoming less retail driven and with more 'experiential' leisure provision. Bury is a good example of a town that continues to do this really well, leaning on its curb appeal and history to attract plenty of day and overnight trippers. There's probably more restaurants and coffee shops than retail units now, and addressing that balance has to be the way forward for Ipswich.
So what does the town need then.. on 11:55 - Sep 14 with 2476 viewsJ2BLUE

So what does the town need then.. on 10:53 - Sep 14 by Swansea_Blue

Could have sworn I replied to this. Thankfully Clive has said pretty much exactly what I said so I don't need to type it out again.

The short answer is Regent+Wolsey and Fore Street + Crown Pools seem like enough. Getting Broomhill open as well seems like such an open goal and would make the swimming pool options feel complete.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

So what does the town need then.. on 12:02 - Sep 14 with 2440 viewsMattinLondon

So what does the town need then.. on 11:51 - Sep 14 by _clive_baker_

Ipswich already has the Regent and New Wolsey theatres. NW in particular is excellent, I don't see much need for another.

As for swimming pools there's the relatively newly refurbished Fore Street Baths which is popular, as well as Crown Pools which is a decent facility, albeit dated. I believe there were plans to construct a new leisure facility & pool in the town, which would probably be a welcome addition.

The primary issues in the town centre is one facing many towns which is empty commercial and office units resulting from dwindling demand for bricks and mortar retail space and physical offices. Given the housing shortage it certainly feels like a good opportunity to repurpose some of those to residential, which solves those issues as well as creating more footfall and increased customer base for the businesses that remain. There's a lot of nice bars, pubs, restaurants, coffee shops etc in the town that no doubt would benefit from more residents in the local vicinity.

I think Ipswich lacks a bit relative to other towns and cities, but also has quite a bit going for it compared to many that you either have or you don't, especially historically, architecturally, and with regards to the parks, public areas & waterfront. There's no reason why the town couldn't be a desirable destination, but it'll only thrive by becoming less retail driven and with more 'experiential' leisure provision. Bury is a good example of a town that continues to do this really well, leaning on its curb appeal and history to attract plenty of day and overnight trippers. There's probably more restaurants and coffee shops than retail units now, and addressing that balance has to be the way forward for Ipswich.

I’m not sure more retail units are the answer simply because more and more people shop online and the those numbers will simply grow.

Personally I think that the only way to attract more visitors to the town centre is to offer people something that they cannot get online. My eldest recently went to an indoor action sports centre which catered for skateboarding, scooters, snowboarding and gymnastics etc. That could work for the town.
So what does the town need then.. on 12:08 - Sep 14 with 2424 views_clive_baker_

So what does the town need then.. on 12:02 - Sep 14 by MattinLondon

I’m not sure more retail units are the answer simply because more and more people shop online and the those numbers will simply grow.

Personally I think that the only way to attract more visitors to the town centre is to offer people something that they cannot get online. My eldest recently went to an indoor action sports centre which catered for skateboarding, scooters, snowboarding and gymnastics etc. That could work for the town.

Think you perhaps misinterpreted. I'm saying there's too many retail units, the fact so many sit empty is evidence of that.
So what does the town need then.. on 12:15 - Sep 14 with 2409 viewsPinewoodblue

So what does the town need then.. on 12:02 - Sep 14 by MattinLondon

Not in Ipswich but Borough Council own the old .toys r us site. Which could accommodate such activities. Ironically IBC purchased it to make sure any new user didn’t draw business away from Town Centre.

Now Poundland have done just that by taking over the old Mothercare unit next to Tesco.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

So what does the town need then.. on 12:22 - Sep 14 with 2389 viewsLion

An established premiership football team and the regeneration will follow, come on the towan

Poll: Is Blue Badger ( booooooooooooooo ) a cyber bully?

So what does the town need then.. on 13:11 - Sep 14 with 2283 viewsrunaround

Redevelop the area around Portman Road when the ground is improved and capacity increased can lead to it becoming a real leisure hub.A big sports bar which will be heaving match days plus give people somewhere to go on non home game days. Chain restaurants different to what they are in the Town could also be encouraged to open. A multi purpose arena seating say 5k which could be used for gigs, PDC darts etc. perhaps also an outdoor food court area doing say street food
Make the area around ground a place where people from outside the Ipswich area as well as locals will want to visit
So what does the town need then.. on 13:16 - Sep 14 with 2267 viewsSkip_Intro

is this part of your GCSE homework?
So what does the town need then.. on 13:46 - Sep 14 with 2205 viewsElephantintheRoom

A new roundabout where the ring road meets the Bury road.

Some parking at the hospital would be useful too.

Other than that it’s a bit like trying to gentrify Leiston. It’s just a cr@p town that’s being left behind. I’m sure board members with a Jack and Jill fear of the world ending think a low emission zone will make it a nice town.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024