Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Imagine if we could defend! 09:26 - Oct 1 with 6957 viewsWallingford_Boy

How good we’d be!

Obviously we’ve paid big cash for Tuanzebe to not just sit on the bench, but who does he replace?

Burgess for me.

Williams in for Clarke too.

RIP Sir Bobby

Imagine if we could defend! on 14:16 - Oct 1 with 1882 viewspointofblue

Imagine if we could defend! on 14:09 - Oct 1 by DavoIPB

I would say woolfie. His positional play has been really poor this season. Burgess covers Davis if he goes forward but woolfie does not do the same. Woolfie gets muscled off the ball as well.

Thought he'd been much better on the ball and not getting muscled off it this season. Do think he's struggled more with positioning since Clarke has come back into the side - seemed far more settled with Donacien.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Imagine if we could defend! on 14:20 - Oct 1 with 1871 viewsVegtablue

We haven't protected Hladky nearly as well as the goals conceded column suggests. Opta's post-shot analysis reveals he has now saved 4.5 more goals than expected from the shots on target he's faced, and we're joint top with Millwall for expected goals conceded per shot on target (we would prefer to be joint bottom). The difficulty we have is in addressing these numbers, when inevitably there is a trade-off to doing so.

Davis, Burgess and Woolfenden are playing close to their best current level for me. Same for Morsy, Luongo and Burns. The right side certainly has potential for growth with Clarke and Williams. Perhaps Hutchinson in an attacking slot on either side could further preoccupy opposition players. Beyond personnel improvements, tightening the defensive aspects will reduce our attacking aspects. Our best chance of winning lots more games is likely to continue as we are. Hope we become more clinical in front of goal and, in the event we can't with current personnel, hope that the right side shores itself up and that our goalkeeper continues to outperform his peers.

NB. The above isn't intended as criticism of the players, who've collectively put us in pinch-yourself territory IMO. I didn't think there would be any posts this season critiquing how to stay in the top two. If we aren't able to find improvements, I predict we will slot into the play-offs chasing pack before too long, as asking so much of Hladky across the season feels unsustainable. Asking so much of him until the January transfer window though, with one or two improvements lined up early? Maybe.
Imagine if we could defend! on 14:41 - Oct 1 with 1849 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Imagine if we could defend! on 14:20 - Oct 1 by Vegtablue

We haven't protected Hladky nearly as well as the goals conceded column suggests. Opta's post-shot analysis reveals he has now saved 4.5 more goals than expected from the shots on target he's faced, and we're joint top with Millwall for expected goals conceded per shot on target (we would prefer to be joint bottom). The difficulty we have is in addressing these numbers, when inevitably there is a trade-off to doing so.

Davis, Burgess and Woolfenden are playing close to their best current level for me. Same for Morsy, Luongo and Burns. The right side certainly has potential for growth with Clarke and Williams. Perhaps Hutchinson in an attacking slot on either side could further preoccupy opposition players. Beyond personnel improvements, tightening the defensive aspects will reduce our attacking aspects. Our best chance of winning lots more games is likely to continue as we are. Hope we become more clinical in front of goal and, in the event we can't with current personnel, hope that the right side shores itself up and that our goalkeeper continues to outperform his peers.

NB. The above isn't intended as criticism of the players, who've collectively put us in pinch-yourself territory IMO. I didn't think there would be any posts this season critiquing how to stay in the top two. If we aren't able to find improvements, I predict we will slot into the play-offs chasing pack before too long, as asking so much of Hladky across the season feels unsustainable. Asking so much of him until the January transfer window though, with one or two improvements lined up early? Maybe.

Could those stats not also be interpreted as Hladky is an excellent shot-stopper but doesn't dominate his box and organise his defence as well as other keepers?

Statistics can frequently be interpreted in multiple ways?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Imagine if we could defend! on 15:05 - Oct 1 with 1832 viewsVegtablue

Imagine if we could defend! on 14:41 - Oct 1 by Nthsuffolkblue

Could those stats not also be interpreted as Hladky is an excellent shot-stopper but doesn't dominate his box and organise his defence as well as other keepers?

Statistics can frequently be interpreted in multiple ways?

One could but I wouldn't agree with that interpretation. Possibly that's an area in which Walton excels, but it's the miscommunication and Walton coming off second best that I remember more of last season. Always much easier to remember a goalkeeper's mistakes! I didn't see Nicholls dominate his box more than Hladky yesterday, or opposition goalkeepers in the other matches we've played. Hladky intercepts threats more than any other in the league statistically, although I expect you're referring to crosses and he's 17th in respect to claiming those.
Imagine if we could defend! on 15:13 - Oct 1 with 1813 viewsHerbivore

I would say woolfie. His positional play has been really poor this season. Burgess covers Davis if he goes forward but woolfie does not do the same. Woolfie gets muscled off the ball as well.

What the fook have you been watching this season? Utter drivel.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Imagine if we could defend! on 16:57 - Oct 1 with 1761 viewsDJR

We've conceded 11 goals in 9 games which I think is pretty good given we've moved up a division.

By comparison Plymouth have conceded 14 and Wednesday 17.

And what entertainment we've had.
Imagine if we could defend! on 17:24 - Oct 1 with 1731 viewsMK1

This is obviously a joke.
Imagine if we could defend! on 17:59 - Oct 1 with 1690 viewsYallop2

Utter guff. We're 2nd ffs and on a run no one has seen for decades.
Login to get fewer ads

Imagine if we could defend! on 19:03 - Oct 1 with 1633 viewsChurchman

The stats say we are 2nd in the league.
3rd best goalscorers
3rd best goal difference
8th = best defence.

We were promoted last season. I’m struggling to work out what more people want or expected. Hopefully we will improve defensively and up front.

I’ve read on here by certain people that Woolfenden is rubbish positionally, that L1 level Burgess should have been replaced before the season started, that Clarke is the weak link, we needed ten new signings, why didn’t we push the boat out and get Simms. Everyone is entitled to opinions. It’s what the board is for, but oh dear, the state of some of these posts.

The rage, tears and tantrums when we lose a few games will make Owlstalk look small potatoes. And on them, if we had their problems there would be cause for anxiety, but at the moment, just enjoy it. It’s been so many years of dross. I certainly am and I’ve seen more entertainment in four home games than I saw in most of the Evans era put together.
Imagine if we could defend! on 19:29 - Oct 1 with 1617 viewsCoastalblue

Imagine if we could defend! on 19:03 - Oct 1 by Churchman

The stats say we are 2nd in the league.
3rd best goalscorers
3rd best goal difference
8th = best defence.

We were promoted last season. I’m struggling to work out what more people want or expected. Hopefully we will improve defensively and up front.

I’ve read on here by certain people that Woolfenden is rubbish positionally, that L1 level Burgess should have been replaced before the season started, that Clarke is the weak link, we needed ten new signings, why didn’t we push the boat out and get Simms. Everyone is entitled to opinions. It’s what the board is for, but oh dear, the state of some of these posts.

The rage, tears and tantrums when we lose a few games will make Owlstalk look small potatoes. And on them, if we had their problems there would be cause for anxiety, but at the moment, just enjoy it. It’s been so many years of dross. I certainly am and I’ve seen more entertainment in four home games than I saw in most of the Evans era put together.

There's too many on here that form an opinion on a player and then just watch to confirm it, as you say half of our side are not capable of playing at this level so we must be very, very lucky at the moment to be top two.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Imagine if we could defend! on 19:44 - Oct 1 with 1601 viewsSwansea_Blue

Imagine if we could defend! on 10:36 - Oct 1 by The_Flashing_Smile

Outside Leicester we have one of the best defences in the division. What are you talking about?!

Ah, but we have actually let in every goal we’ve conceded

It’s a funny one isn’t it. We’ve had a couple of really open home games where we’ve been carved open quite easily, and I think that colours perceptions a bit. I’ve thought we’ve been too open at times, but then as you say we’re not been bad at all. Leicester, Sunderland, Hull and Birmingham have conceded fewer. So we’re not 2nd to Leicester on goals conceded, but your point is still valid. 5th best ain’t bad. Especially for a defence we all thought needed strengthening at the start of the season.

I’m sure Kieran will be looking to learn and improve from the goals we’ve conceded, but we’re doing bloody good so far for a newly promoted side.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2023 19:53]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Imagine if we could defend! on 21:22 - Oct 1 with 1541 viewsFrimleyBlue

Imagine if we could defend! on 19:44 - Oct 1 by Swansea_Blue

Ah, but we have actually let in every goal we’ve conceded

It’s a funny one isn’t it. We’ve had a couple of really open home games where we’ve been carved open quite easily, and I think that colours perceptions a bit. I’ve thought we’ve been too open at times, but then as you say we’re not been bad at all. Leicester, Sunderland, Hull and Birmingham have conceded fewer. So we’re not 2nd to Leicester on goals conceded, but your point is still valid. 5th best ain’t bad. Especially for a defence we all thought needed strengthening at the start of the season.

I’m sure Kieran will be looking to learn and improve from the goals we’ve conceded, but we’re doing bloody good so far for a newly promoted side.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2023 19:53]

Genuine question

What was the last goal we conceded which you could say came from a wolfy/Burgess mistake..

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Imagine if we could defend! on 21:55 - Oct 1 with 1513 viewsMetal_Hacker

Why does Wally still post on TWTD ?

I’m sure by now I’d get fed up of attention seeking

The guy hasn’t a clue and just stinks of narcissism

Poll: If it were one or the other

Imagine if we could defend! on 21:59 - Oct 1 with 1509 viewsSwansea_Blue

Imagine if we could defend! on 21:22 - Oct 1 by FrimleyBlue

Genuine question

What was the last goal we conceded which you could say came from a wolfy/Burgess mistake..

I can’t remember the last obvious error. Woolf got caught under the ball slightly for Clarke’s own goal against Blackburn, and both of them got turned around a few times in that game. I think it was Burgess who could have been tighter to Szmodics for their 3rd. Not really error, but he lost that 1-to-1 battle.

The post above about expected goals against is interesting. Hladky has been very busy at times, so the goals against column does flatter us a bit. But then it’s only the goals conceded that counts there isn’t it.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Imagine if we could defend! on 07:38 - Oct 2 with 1462 viewsStewart27

Assume this is tongue in cheek. Otherwise it’s a stupid thing to say.

You do know that the way we play at home leaves us slightly vulnerable at the back? Resulting in the entertainment fest we’ve had this year. But away from home we play a slightly different game and has resulted in 2 goals conceded in 5 away games.

It’s probably lost on you.
Imagine if we could defend! on 07:50 - Oct 2 with 1456 viewsBondiBlue

We can defend. We just choose not to. We choose to defend away from home and we've conceded 2 goals. At home we choose to attack and we've conceded 9.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Imagine if we could defend! on 07:56 - Oct 2 with 1453 viewsjayessess

Imagine if we could defend! on 14:20 - Oct 1 by Vegtablue

Difficult stat to interpret this one, I think?

It's post-shot expected goals, so is as much a reflection of the quality of opposition shooting as the quality of opposition chances. Our xGA is lower (10.8) and roughly reflected in our actual goals conceded (11). Opponents are getting better shots in than you would expect for the type and quantity of chances we're conceding, but Hladky's excellent shot stopping has meant that hasn't really hurt us.

(Of course, there might be something unmeasurable we're doing that allows opposition forwards to get in better shots than you'd expect them to)

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Imagine if we could defend! on 09:23 - Oct 2 with 1431 viewsBiGDonnie

Imagine if you could engage your brain, you'd be sufferable.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2023 9:27]

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Imagine if we could defend on 09:41 - Oct 2 with 1415 viewsSamWhiteUK

We have the third best goal difference in the league.
Imagine if we could defend! on 11:38 - Oct 2 with 1381 viewsUnhinged_dynamo

Could go to 3 at the back tuanzebe, Wolfe, burgess and have Davis and Williams/Clark as wingbacks which they basically are anyway
Hladky
Tuanzebe. Wolfe. Burgess.
Williams/Clarke. Davis
Morsy. Luongo.
Chaplin/burns Broadhead
Hirst

Would sacrifice abit of width up top but before transition to attack but would be quite solid off the ball?

Poll: Who do you think will win the league?

Imagine if we could defend! on 12:24 - Oct 2 with 1367 viewsportmanroadblue

Imagine if we could defend! on 10:26 - Oct 1 by ArnieM

He’s a right sided CB ( looking at all the videos of him) so I’d say that makes Woolfies place at potential risk. Axel is very good in the air, and excellent at bringing the ball out. It’ll be interesting to see how McKenna wants to play him.

Could be looking at going 3 CBs at the back.
Imagine if we could defend! on 13:14 - Oct 2 with 1333 viewsHerbivore

Imagine if we could defend! on 11:38 - Oct 2 by Unhinged_dynamo

Could go to 3 at the back tuanzebe, Wolfe, burgess and have Davis and Williams/Clark as wingbacks which they basically are anyway
Hladky
Tuanzebe. Wolfe. Burgess.
Williams/Clarke. Davis
Morsy. Luongo.
Chaplin/burns Broadhead
Hirst

Would sacrifice abit of width up top but before transition to attack but would be quite solid off the ball?

We're second in the league and doing very well, why change systems and sacrifice an attacking player for a CB?

Imagine if we could defend! on 13:37 - Oct 2 with 1317 viewsUnhinged_dynamo

Imagine if we could defend! on 13:14 - Oct 2 by Herbivore

We're second in the league and doing very well, why change systems and sacrifice an attacking player for a CB?

It’s not something I would personally advocate I was merely answering the question posed about who might make way

Poll: Who do you think will win the league?

Imagine if we could defend! on 13:47 - Oct 2 with 1307 viewsportmanroadblue

Imagine if we could defend! on 13:14 - Oct 2 by Herbivore

Some would argue 3 CBs is not defensive but more attacking. Also, to maybe switch it up against opposition who may think they know the way we will set up against them.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2023 13:49]
Imagine if we could defend! on 13:56 - Oct 2 with 1294 viewsHerbivore

Imagine if we could defend! on 13:47 - Oct 2 by portmanroadblue

Some would argue 3 CBs is not defensive but more attacking. Also, to maybe switch it up against opposition who may think they know the way we will set up against them.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2023 13:49]

They'd be wrong to argue it's more attacking, imo, especially as we're talking about most likely bringing in Tuanzebe for one of Burns, Chaplin or Broadhead.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024