Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Incredibly harsh criticism from Mick Mills on BBC Suffolk 22:26 - Dec 29 with 4909 viewsGlasgowBlue

Said that if you are going to make changes then it should only be two or three.

Six changes from our last game.

Davis - Injured
Clarke - Managing an injury. three games in six days.
Morsy - Banned
Taylor - Made way for Luongo, who is a normal starter
Burns - Ill
Hirst - Injured

Plus very little bench options as they were either on the pitch or on the abve list of missing players.

Frustrating result on the back of a winless run but still in our hands. Leeds lost again and Saints still to play us and will have a wobble at some point.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Incredibly harsh criticism from Mick Mills on BBC Suffolk on 22:28 - Dec 29 with 4322 viewsNeedhamChris

Proving it's possible to be both a club legend and a terrible pundit.

Poll: Was that the worst result in the clubs history?

Incredibly harsh criticism from Mick Mills on BBC Suffolk on 22:33 - Dec 29 with 4185 viewsHerbivore

Yeah, we didn't want to make that many changes ffs. That wasn't far off a reserve side really, with a couple of first teamers chucked in. Poor to level that criticism at the club.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Incredibly harsh criticism from Mick Mills on BBC Suffolk on 22:33 - Dec 29 with 4167 viewsreusersfreekicks

Incredibly harsh criticism from Mick Mills on BBC Suffolk on 22:28 - Dec 29 by NeedhamChris

Proving it's possible to be both a club legend and a terrible pundit.

Precisely
Incredibly harsh criticism from Mick Mills on BBC Suffolk on 22:38 - Dec 29 with 4085 viewsSarge

Pretty clear that Burns, Broadhead, Davis, Morsy, Hirst would all have started if they could. I think we’d still have won that even with just one of the above available, QPR were that poor, but 5 out was just too many to manage.
Incredibly harsh criticism from Mick Mills on BBC Suffolk on 22:42 - Dec 29 with 4013 viewsGlasgowBlue

Incredibly harsh criticism from Mick Mills on BBC Suffolk on 22:33 - Dec 29 by Herbivore

Yeah, we didn't want to make that many changes ffs. That wasn't far off a reserve side really, with a couple of first teamers chucked in. Poor to level that criticism at the club.

You'd have though he'd have been corrected by his co host.

Iron Lion Zion

Incredibly harsh criticism from Mick Mills on BBC Suffolk on 22:43 - Dec 29 with 3977 views_clive_baker_

Didn’t hear it but that’s a pretty ridiculous criticism. When we’ve lost Broadhead & Burns to illness, Davis & Hirst to injury and Morsy to suspension that’s 5 very big players to have out. I mean not Burns of course, he just whacks it, but the others.

Not really sure what McKenna was meant to do tonight tbh, talk about being down to the bare bones. Such a shame as QPR at home feels like a fixture that could and should yield 3 points if it falls more kindly in terms of player availability.

1 more league game in the next fortnight, a case of needing to ‘get through’ Stoke, getting the illness through the squad and a couple of signings in before Sunderland. Hopefully find a win from somewhere at the Britannia.
Incredibly harsh criticism from Mick Mills on BBC Suffolk on 22:45 - Dec 29 with 3932 viewsNeedhamChris

Incredibly harsh criticism from Mick Mills on BBC Suffolk on 22:33 - Dec 29 by reusersfreekicks

Precisely

Sadly for him, the game has moved on and he offers next to no insight into the modern game. For example, the amount of times he brings out the 'we didn't need a rest' or 'players should just be able to play every game' is tiresome now.

Great player and a club legend, but BBC Radio Suffolk would do well to replace him with a decent pundit.

Incredibly harsh criticism from Mick Mills on BBC Suffolk on 23:12 - Dec 29 with 3700 viewsIllinoisblue

Legend though he is, he was a poor manager at Stoke and the game is light years away from what he was doing 30 odd years ago.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Login to get fewer ads

Incredibly harsh criticism from Mick Mills on BBC Suffolk on 23:59 - Dec 29 with 3418 viewsHullblue

That’s obviously a silly thing to say but I think he’s great in general and I’m surprised by the criticism of him in this thread.

MM knows more about football than all of us combined. We’re lucky to have him.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Incredibly harsh criticism from Mick Mills on BBC Suffolk on 00:03 - Dec 30 with 3364 viewsNeedhamChris

Incredibly harsh criticism from Mick Mills on BBC Suffolk on 23:59 - Dec 29 by Hullblue

That’s obviously a silly thing to say but I think he’s great in general and I’m surprised by the criticism of him in this thread.

If he was any other pundit without his history he would be long gone.

The anecdotes are nice, but the punditry is not. We were lucky to have him as a player, and unfortunate to have to put up with him as a pundit.

Would much rather listen to Ian Westlake

Incredibly harsh criticism from Mick Mills on BBC Suffolk on 00:12 - Dec 30 with 3306 viewsRyorry

Incredibly harsh criticism from Mick Mills on BBC Suffolk on 22:42 - Dec 29 by GlasgowBlue

You'd have though he'd have been corrected by his co host.

And the show's producer for heavens' sake! Perhaps I'm spoilt by TMS, but the volume of info and stats that are fed into the commentators' ears from the production team are mind-boggling on that.

You'd have thought the show would be capable of transmitting one line of basic info to him re the number of regular starters out and why; & that he'd be capable of taking the info in.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Incredibly harsh criticism from Mick Mills on BBC Suffolk on 00:17 - Dec 30 with 3280 views66notout

Incredibly harsh criticism from Mick Mills on BBC Suffolk on 23:59 - Dec 29 by Hullblue

Congratulations sir, the only sensible comment on this thread
Incredibly harsh criticism from Mick Mills on BBC Suffolk on 00:20 - Dec 30 with 3255 viewsMeadowlark

As well as captain of Ipswich when we were the best team ever, he was also captain of England in the 82 World Cup.
I did not hear his comments tonight, but I will not hear a word said against him.
Is that clear?
Incredibly harsh criticism from Mick Mills on BBC Suffolk on 07:53 - Dec 30 with 2961 viewsGlasgowBlue

Incredibly harsh criticism from Mick Mills on BBC Suffolk on 00:20 - Dec 30 by Meadowlark

As well as captain of Ipswich when we were the best team ever, he was also captain of England in the 82 World Cup.
I did not hear his comments tonight, but I will not hear a word said against him.
Is that clear?

I’ll say what I want thanks.

Mick Mills is a legend. My captain as a boy. Our most successful captain ever. Sir Bobby’s man on the pitch.

That doesn’t take anway away the fact that his criticism of McKenna making changes was incredibly harsh given the number of players who were not available for selection.

Iron Lion Zion

Incredibly harsh criticism from Mick Mills on BBC Suffolk on 08:31 - Dec 30 with 2859 viewsNeedhamChris

Incredibly harsh criticism from Mick Mills on BBC Suffolk on 00:20 - Dec 30 by Meadowlark

Is that clear?

Yes, it's clear. It's also ridiculous.

I don't dispute anything you say about his football history and ability, and have said on each of my posts that he's a club legend.

But I'm also not a child who thinks you then can't say a bad word about him. If you haven't heard the comments he's being criticised for you're not really in a position to make an intelligent contribution.

Punditry is a different job to playing - and the best players do not always make the best pundits. He is an awful pundit imo - and he wasn't a great manager either so I don't think it's unreasonable to criticise.

I love him for what he did as a player - but am bored of listening to his dated 'insight'

Incredibly harsh criticism from Mick Mills on BBC Suffolk on 08:58 - Dec 30 with 2724 viewsSharkey

I generally find Mills good. I didn’t listen yesterday, but he’s not afraid to actually talk tactics, e.g. explain what the opposition are doing differently in the second half. Too many pundits just say so-and-so’s having a good/bad game and comment on refereeing decisions but at home you don’t really get any sense of the shape of the game.
Incredibly harsh criticism from Mick Mills on BBC Suffolk on 09:28 - Dec 30 with 2622 viewsshamboy

Incredibly harsh criticism from Mick Mills on BBC Suffolk on 08:58 - Dec 30 by Sharkey

I generally find Mills good. I didn’t listen yesterday, but he’s not afraid to actually talk tactics, e.g. explain what the opposition are doing differently in the second half. Too many pundits just say so-and-so’s having a good/bad game and comment on refereeing decisions but at home you don’t really get any sense of the shape of the game.

I find Mills to be an excellent pundit, with real insight. Strange how he attracts criticism on here.
The only criticism would be Taylor and Ball switch on 09:48 - Dec 30 with 2524 viewsunstableblue

But Luongo replaced Taylor

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Incredibly harsh criticism from Mick Mills on BBC Suffolk on 10:01 - Dec 30 with 2440 viewsDJR

I didn't listen last night but he must have said what he said not knowing the injury/suspension position.

As it is, I always wind back Final Score to the beginning on BBC Sounds on my way back from home games to hear his take on a game, and I always find it informed and illuminating. And the fact that he brings back memories of my childhood makes it even better.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2023 10:02]
Incredibly harsh criticism from Mick Mills on BBC Suffolk on 10:06 - Dec 30 with 2404 viewsGlasgowBlue

Incredibly harsh criticism from Mick Mills on BBC Suffolk on 10:01 - Dec 30 by DJR

I didn't listen last night but he must have said what he said not knowing the injury/suspension position.

As it is, I always wind back Final Score to the beginning on BBC Sounds on my way back from home games to hear his take on a game, and I always find it informed and illuminating. And the fact that he brings back memories of my childhood makes it even better.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2023 10:02]

I actually like listening to him because of who he is. There will come a time when there won’t be any of that team left with us so we should cherish them and keep them involved in all things Ipswich. As I said earlier, you’d have thought somebody would have corrected him if he wasn’t aware of the injury and silliness issues.

Iron Lion Zion

Incredibly harsh criticism from Mick Mills on BBC Suffolk on 10:10 - Dec 30 with 2373 viewsDJR

Incredibly harsh criticism from Mick Mills on BBC Suffolk on 10:06 - Dec 30 by GlasgowBlue

I actually like listening to him because of who he is. There will come a time when there won’t be any of that team left with us so we should cherish them and keep them involved in all things Ipswich. As I said earlier, you’d have thought somebody would have corrected him if he wasn’t aware of the injury and silliness issues.

Yes, that does seem strange.
Incredibly harsh criticism from Mick Mills on BBC Suffolk on 10:14 - Dec 30 with 2336 viewsnrb1985

Incredibly harsh criticism from Mick Mills on BBC Suffolk on 22:45 - Dec 29 by NeedhamChris

Sadly for him, the game has moved on and he offers next to no insight into the modern game. For example, the amount of times he brings out the 'we didn't need a rest' or 'players should just be able to play every game' is tiresome now.

Great player and a club legend, but BBC Radio Suffolk would do well to replace him with a decent pundit.

See also Terry Butcher.

He really is a tough listen.
Incredibly harsh criticism from Mick Mills on BBC Suffolk on 10:38 - Dec 30 with 2260 viewsWickets

Is that clear?

Yes i love him dearly for all that but perhaps he does need to recognise that even for us oldies football has moved on a lump we have to recognise that fact . Happy New year Mick Mills and everyone else . Lets hope for a similar footie year to the last one .
Incredibly harsh criticism from Mick Mills on BBC Suffolk on 10:41 - Dec 30 with 2240 viewsDJR

Incredibly harsh criticism from Mick Mills on BBC Suffolk on 10:14 - Dec 30 by nrb1985

See also Terry Butcher.

He really is a tough listen.

I think Terry Butcher is more of an "in my day" man than Mick Mills but he has a great sense of humour and some great stories which more than makes up for this.

The other thing to say about both of them is it is probably unlikely that we will ever in the future have players who win so many England caps, so I think a fair degree of latitude is allowed to both.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2023 10:44]
Incredibly harsh criticism from Mick Mills on BBC Suffolk on 14:38 - Dec 30 with 1963 viewsVic

Incredibly harsh criticism from Mick Mills on BBC Suffolk on 07:53 - Dec 30 by GlasgowBlue

I’ll say what I want thanks.

Mick Mills is a legend. My captain as a boy. Our most successful captain ever. Sir Bobby’s man on the pitch.

That doesn’t take anway away the fact that his criticism of McKenna making changes was incredibly harsh given the number of players who were not available for selection.

Agreed, and said the same on here last night. Thing was, he didn’t just say it once but several times during the game and afterwards. It was odd.

That said, I think he’s a really helpful summeriser - very good at explaining passages of play, formations, etc, while not afraid to critique things when necessary.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024