Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do we change shape to accommodate Moore and Ali?? 14:40 - Feb 8 with 4328 viewsunstableblue

I know this has already been discussed in part.

But listening the Blue Monday pod with the EFL ‘expert’ Gaby, he seemed to suggest that Ali’s success at Wimbledon related to playing off another striker, indeed a striker who’s form and hard work were instrumental to Ali’s form.

Now of course Ali is probably not meant to be a starter for some time.. maybe not even this season. He’s a future investment. But it must be tempting McKenna to get both on the pitch to increase our threat. Which has hampered us of late.

Would it be Chaplin and the number ten role that is the casualty? So more a 4-2-4… with Sarmiento/Broadhead and Burns/Hutchison out wide. Albeit on the left the wide attacker tends to come in a little to allow Davis to go wide. Clarke deeper on the other side.

Going to be interesting.

Massive noise and support for Moore Saturday… a home goal for him would be superb.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Do we change shape to accommodate Moore and Ali?? on 14:44 - Feb 8 with 3396 viewsitfcjoe

We can't change shape because then have nothing in reserve up front, we have recruited to play 1 up top

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

No, Moore plays 70 mins.... on 14:49 - Feb 8 with 3345 viewsBloots

...AAH comes on to finish, or KJ if the style dictates it.

If we are really desperate (like PNE) we may play 2 up front in the last knockings.

We won't complicate it.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Do we change shape to accommodate Moore and Ali?? on 14:51 - Feb 8 with 3335 viewsHighgateBlue

Do we change shape to accommodate Moore and Ali?? on 14:44 - Feb 8 by itfcjoe

We can't change shape because then have nothing in reserve up front, we have recruited to play 1 up top

We had them both on the pitch at the weekend, and it's fair to say it didn't go too badly. I would see Ali coming on for the last 20 or 30 minutes in the event that we are behind and chasing the game. Unlikely of course, we never go behind, do we!? :)

In fairness to KMac, although all of our January recruitment gossip and obsession as fans proceeded on the basis of us sticking rigidly to our current shape, KMac did say when we recruited Ali or Moore (can't recall exactly when) that he wants a range of different attacking options and approaches, and so I think he is more flexible maybe than some give him credit for. If we need to go to 4-4-2 on occasion for periods, that can work, especially in conjunction with a more direct approach once the opposition is tired towards the end of a game if we need a goal.
Do we change shape to accommodate Moore and Ali?? on 14:55 - Feb 8 with 3299 viewsFrimleyBlue

Depends who needed to go off

If Ali then Jackson would work with moore
Even chappers or broady could work with more

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Do we change shape to accommodate Moore and Ali?? on 15:11 - Feb 8 with 3213 viewshomer_123

I would suggest that we'll keep very much to the approach we have had since KM has joined.

What these two (along with the existing squad) do offer - is possibly a little bit more variety and expansion to do things differently but I cannot see KM changing things that drastically from the off.

The work involved in moving to a front two in terms of our approach and play would require more than 1 or 2 training sessions.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

No, Moore plays 70 mins.... on 15:15 - Feb 8 with 3198 viewsNthQldITFC

No, Moore plays 70 mins.... on 14:49 - Feb 8 by Bloots

...AAH comes on to finish, or KJ if the style dictates it.

If we are really desperate (like PNE) we may play 2 up front in the last knockings.

We won't complicate it.

With the commonly held wisdom that Moore doesn't have the engine of Hirst, then the Moore > Al Hamadi swap could come at 55/60 minutes. I know it's small evidence so far, but the highlights reel of Al Hamadi plus his little cameo last weekend suggest to me that the step 'down' from Moore to AAH won't be quite the step down it has been from Hirst to A N Other.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

OK, I'll go for 64th min on Saturday. (n/t) on 15:18 - Feb 8 with 3168 viewsBloots

No, Moore plays 70 mins.... on 15:15 - Feb 8 by NthQldITFC

With the commonly held wisdom that Moore doesn't have the engine of Hirst, then the Moore > Al Hamadi swap could come at 55/60 minutes. I know it's small evidence so far, but the highlights reel of Al Hamadi plus his little cameo last weekend suggest to me that the step 'down' from Moore to AAH won't be quite the step down it has been from Hirst to A N Other.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Do we change shape to accommodate Moore and Ali?? on 15:29 - Feb 8 with 3126 viewstractorboy1978

Do you think he's going to bring Moore off in games? I can't see it personally, unless we are a couple of goals ahead. I don't think we are going to expect him to get through the level/type of work Hirst does and he's just someone you want on the pitch given his aerial prowess, especially later in games if we need a goal. I could see Al-Hamadi coming on and playing with him/off him in the 10 more than replacing him after 65/70.
[Post edited 8 Feb 15:30]
Login to get fewer ads

Do we change shape to accommodate Moore and Ali?? on 15:43 - Feb 8 with 3041 viewsNthQldITFC

Do we change shape to accommodate Moore and Ali?? on 15:29 - Feb 8 by tractorboy1978

Do you think he's going to bring Moore off in games? I can't see it personally, unless we are a couple of goals ahead. I don't think we are going to expect him to get through the level/type of work Hirst does and he's just someone you want on the pitch given his aerial prowess, especially later in games if we need a goal. I could see Al-Hamadi coming on and playing with him/off him in the 10 more than replacing him after 65/70.
[Post edited 8 Feb 15:30]

You can't burn him out though. Al Hamadi might not have the hold up play of Moore/Hirst, but by the gods, he looks like he can run tired CBs ragged and tear them about creating space for the finishers in the supporting forwards roles. I can see Hutchinson, for example, coming inside a bit and working really well off AAH.

Maybe there'll be games where we play the two together (maybe with AAH in Chaplin's role though) and maybe sometimes we'll start AAH or Jackson , but I think we'll stick to the format pretty much for most of our remaining games - the whole structure is just so well tuned.
[Post edited 8 Feb 15:45]

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Do we change shape to accommodate Moore and Ali?? on 16:02 - Feb 8 with 2951 viewstractorboy1978

Do we change shape to accommodate Moore and Ali?? on 15:43 - Feb 8 by NthQldITFC

You can't burn him out though. Al Hamadi might not have the hold up play of Moore/Hirst, but by the gods, he looks like he can run tired CBs ragged and tear them about creating space for the finishers in the supporting forwards roles. I can see Hutchinson, for example, coming inside a bit and working really well off AAH.

Maybe there'll be games where we play the two together (maybe with AAH in Chaplin's role though) and maybe sometimes we'll start AAH or Jackson , but I think we'll stick to the format pretty much for most of our remaining games - the whole structure is just so well tuned.
[Post edited 8 Feb 15:45]

It's going to be a brave decision to hook Moore after 65/70 mins if we are in a very tight game - as I'd imagine most of them will be. You look at that game on Saturday and they just couldn't handle him. He brings such a unique threat and absolutely transformed the game.
[Post edited 8 Feb 16:03]
Do we change shape to accommodate Moore and Ali?? on 16:11 - Feb 8 with 2868 viewsMookamoo

Do we change shape to accommodate Moore and Ali?? on 16:02 - Feb 8 by tractorboy1978

It's going to be a brave decision to hook Moore after 65/70 mins if we are in a very tight game - as I'd imagine most of them will be. You look at that game on Saturday and they just couldn't handle him. He brings such a unique threat and absolutely transformed the game.
[Post edited 8 Feb 16:03]

There is a danger we'll flog Moore like an old donkey thinking he is Plan A and also the Plan B if we need to chase a game.

Ali seems a smart enough player to adapt if Moore is there or not.
Do we change shape to accommodate Moore and Ali?? on 16:48 - Feb 8 with 2730 viewschicoazul

No idea why some fans think it’s a good idea to change the system that has made us one of the best teams in the league.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Do we change shape to accommodate Moore and Ali?? on 17:09 - Feb 8 with 2660 viewsFrimleyBlue

Do we change shape to accommodate Moore and Ali?? on 16:48 - Feb 8 by chicoazul

No idea why some fans think it’s a good idea to change the system that has made us one of the best teams in the league.

Possibly because we have 1 win in 10 and have 10s off form.

Waka waka eh eh

Do we change shape to accommodate Moore and Ali?? on 17:43 - Feb 8 with 2593 viewsUSA

Do we change shape to accommodate Moore and Ali?? on 16:48 - Feb 8 by chicoazul

McKenna has said we need to find a different way when it’s not working. And it hasn’t worked in every game.
Do we change shape to accommodate Moore and Ali?? on 18:16 - Feb 8 with 2475 viewsDubtractor

Do we change shape to accommodate Moore and Ali?? on 17:09 - Feb 8 by FrimleyBlue

1 win in 10?

It's either 1 in 8, or 2 in 10.

But regardless, we've brought in the new players to help improve results playing the system that has served us well for 18 months.

A change of formation might have been a fair shout if we'd been unable to strengthen.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Do we change shape to accommodate Moore and Ali?? on 18:23 - Feb 8 with 2440 viewsFrimleyBlue

Do we change shape to accommodate Moore and Ali?? on 18:16 - Feb 8 by Dubtractor

1 win in 10?

It's either 1 in 8, or 2 in 10.

But regardless, we've brought in the new players to help improve results playing the system that has served us well for 18 months.

A change of formation might have been a fair shout if we'd been unable to strengthen.

Well not really Coz we didn't even have 2 strikers to do it with lol.

But no. I don't think KM will change it tbh. Just replying to chico on why some people may think about a change.

You're.right tho. Its 2 in 10

Waka waka eh eh

Do we change shape to accommodate Moore and Ali?? on 18:33 - Feb 8 with 2405 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Do we change shape to accommodate Moore and Ali?? on 17:09 - Feb 8 by FrimleyBlue

Our recent drop in form has largely been due to suspension, injury, illness and absenteeism. Not the formation.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Do we change shape to accommodate Moore and Ali?? on 18:39 - Feb 8 with 2381 viewsFrimleyBlue

Do we change shape to accommodate Moore and Ali?? on 18:33 - Feb 8 by The_Flashing_Smile

Our recent drop in form has largely been due to suspension, injury, illness and absenteeism. Not the formation.

Suspension?

Waka waka eh eh

Do we change shape to accommodate Moore and Ali?? on 20:21 - Feb 8 with 2214 viewscressi

Do we change shape to accommodate Moore and Ali?? on 16:11 - Feb 8 by Mookamoo

There is a danger we'll flog Moore like an old donkey thinking he is Plan A and also the Plan B if we need to chase a game.

Ali seems a smart enough player to adapt if Moore is there or not.

Flog like a donkey Jesus there are 17 league games to go on a pitch like Wembley. Mariner Brazil and co played 70 so games at the top-level on pitches that had more sand than Clacton plus only one sub in the day.
Do we change shape to accommodate Moore and Ali?? on 22:36 - Feb 8 with 2073 viewsITFC1977

Do we change shape to accommodate Moore and Ali?? on 20:21 - Feb 8 by cressi

Flog like a donkey Jesus there are 17 league games to go on a pitch like Wembley. Mariner Brazil and co played 70 so games at the top-level on pitches that had more sand than Clacton plus only one sub in the day.

Mariner and Brazil wouldn’t last 45 minutes at the pace the games are played at now. Not knocking their obvious quality but to use that as a comparison is ludicrous.
Do we change shape to accommodate Moore and Ali?? on 07:51 - Feb 9 with 1828 viewsWallingford_Boy

We have Jacko!

RIP Sir Bobby

Do we change shape to accommodate Moore and Ali?? on 08:14 - Feb 9 with 1794 viewsPioneerBlue

I’m not seeing it other than in an alternative way of addressing certain game states.

I’m more focused on how we develop our play from GK because this has been busted a few times recently and the risk reward calculation hasn’t been as fruitful as required, plus there is the fall away of goals scored and increase in goals conceded which hopefully we have now addressed through strikers, forwards, Burgess returning and Morsy ban free for now!

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Do we change shape to accommodate Moore and Ali?? on 08:16 - Feb 9 with 1783 viewsFrimleyBlue

Do we change shape to accommodate Moore and Ali?? on 08:14 - Feb 9 by PioneerBlue

I’m not seeing it other than in an alternative way of addressing certain game states.

I’m more focused on how we develop our play from GK because this has been busted a few times recently and the risk reward calculation hasn’t been as fruitful as required, plus there is the fall away of goals scored and increase in goals conceded which hopefully we have now addressed through strikers, forwards, Burgess returning and Morsy ban free for now!

Tell morsy to speed up

Recently he's been showing Douglas level turning skills.
It's slow. Ponderous and has got us into trouble.

Waka waka eh eh

Do we change shape to accommodate Moore and Ali?? on 08:51 - Feb 9 with 1734 viewsitfcjoe

Do we change shape to accommodate Moore and Ali?? on 08:14 - Feb 9 by PioneerBlue

Having Moore/Ali will make a big difference - whoever we've played lately has known they can press the life out of the first receivers because there was no option to clip the ball over their head and make it stick.

Now if they want to go man for man in the press we clip it to Moore and we go from there and take half their team out of the game

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Do we change shape to accommodate Moore and Ali?? on 08:59 - Feb 9 with 1700 viewsbaxterbasics

Do we change shape to accommodate Moore and Ali?? on 17:43 - Feb 8 by USA

McKenna has said we need to find a different way when it’s not working. And it hasn’t worked in every game.

I think a few of the more versatile teams have got better at countering/ neutralising our setup as the season has progressed. I won't go as far as to say "we've been found out" but I think it is helpful that KM has a few more tools in his kit now.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024