Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour party 04:44 - Feb 29 with 8073 viewsZapers

Has she been a good girl, or a naughty girl, and forgotten to pay her CGT tax on the sale of her council house.

Without evidence I'm not convinced i believe either her, or Starmer;)
Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour party on 05:17 - Feb 29 with 4515 viewsPendejo

If it was her main residence then it's not subject to CGT.

I haven't followed the story closely so I don't know, that's one for HMRC to look at versus many criminal cases that should be directed at CONservatives.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour party on 07:22 - Feb 29 with 4313 viewsnodge_blue

Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour party on 05:17 - Feb 29 by Pendejo

If it was her main residence then it's not subject to CGT.

I haven't followed the story closely so I don't know, that's one for HMRC to look at versus many criminal cases that should be directed at CONservatives.

Edited as mis read
[Post edited 29 Feb 7:23]

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour party on 07:37 - Feb 29 with 4250 viewsSteve_M

But you take Guido at face value?

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour party on 07:57 - Feb 29 with 4172 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour party on 07:37 - Feb 29 by Steve_M

Surely fairly clear case of libel if untrue.

I can’t even see this reported anywhere which makes me skeptical about its authenticity. Given that she benefited buying at a discount via Right to Buy, you’d assume it was her only home - otherwise that’s utterly shameless.

I’m steering towards mud slinging as we head into election campaigning.
Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour party on 08:14 - Feb 29 with 4086 viewsDJR

I think the source is not Fawkes but a forthcoming book by Lord Ashcroft, and this is what she says in response.

“I bought my council house back in 2007.
I owned my own home, lived there, paid the bills there and was registered to vote there, prior to selling the house in 2015. All before I was an MP…
I’ve never been a ‘landlady’, owned a property portfolio or been a non-dom.
As with the majority of ordinary people who sell their own homes, I was not liable for capital gains tax because it was my home and the only one I owned.
My husband already owned his own home independently and I had an older child from a previous relationship.
For all the unhealthy interest taken in my family by Lord Ashcroft and his friends, there is no suggestion any rules have been broken.
Just a constant stream of smears from the usual suspects.”

By the way, Fawkes is another Tory media owner who is a committed Brexiteer but lives outside the country (in Ireland) and holds duel British and Irish nationality.
Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour party on 08:19 - Feb 29 with 4045 viewsSteve_M

Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour party on 08:14 - Feb 29 by DJR

I think the source is not Fawkes but a forthcoming book by Lord Ashcroft, and this is what she says in response.

“I bought my council house back in 2007.
I owned my own home, lived there, paid the bills there and was registered to vote there, prior to selling the house in 2015. All before I was an MP…
I’ve never been a ‘landlady’, owned a property portfolio or been a non-dom.
As with the majority of ordinary people who sell their own homes, I was not liable for capital gains tax because it was my home and the only one I owned.
My husband already owned his own home independently and I had an older child from a previous relationship.
For all the unhealthy interest taken in my family by Lord Ashcroft and his friends, there is no suggestion any rules have been broken.
Just a constant stream of smears from the usual suspects.”

By the way, Fawkes is another Tory media owner who is a committed Brexiteer but lives outside the country (in Ireland) and holds duel British and Irish nationality.

Ah Ashcroft, he of the making up the pig story about Cameron. It's a tossup between him and Staines as to which is the least reliable here.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour party on 09:01 - Feb 29 with 3924 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Well obviously you won't believe her or Starmer, because Tories gonna Tory. You'll happily turn a blind eye to all the proven Tory corruption but jump on this evidence-free smear because it suits.

The shameful last throes of a dying party.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour party on 09:16 - Feb 29 with 3862 viewsZx1988

Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour party on 09:01 - Feb 29 by The_Flashing_Smile

Well obviously you won't believe her or Starmer, because Tories gonna Tory. You'll happily turn a blind eye to all the proven Tory corruption but jump on this evidence-free smear because it suits.

The shameful last throes of a dying party.

Indeed.

Sadly it's probably 'mission accomplished' as far as Fawkes, Ashcroft, and the likes of Zapers are concerned. Even if there's been no wrongdoing whatsoever, they'll have managed to associate Rayner with tax avoidance which, as we all know, is incredibly bad when it's not being done by Tories and their chums.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Login to get fewer ads

Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour party on 09:39 - Feb 29 with 3785 viewsGlasgowBlue

I haven't seen Guido's version, but as I understand it from reading other sources, she was a council tenant. She then took advantage of the Tory "Right To Buy" policy, and bought the council house she had rented, making a profit of £50,000.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Millions of people got on the housing ladder by doing the same. Although I do understand that she opposes the policy. So a bit like Diane Abbott and private education.

However, to qualify for the right to buy scheme you do have to be resident at that address. And where it gets confusing is after her wedding to her ex husband, she claims that from day one they lived apart. Angela at her registered address and her husband at his. Which does seem odd. Especially as they had children together.

When their first child was born she put down on the birth certificate that her address was the same as her husband's and not the address she now claims to have been living at. Her neighbours at the address where she claimed to be living say that her brother was living there and they only ever saw her once, when son broke her window with a football and her brother said his landlady would be visiting them to sort out payment for the damage. They claim that she wasn't resident there for the period she claims.

So she has either avoided Capital Gains Tax by claiming the ex council house was her main address or she has lied on her son's birth certificate, which is also a criminal offence.

From a purely personal point of view, I hope this is just a silly misunderstanding. Angela Rayner has an inspiring backstory. Brought up in abject poverty by her Bipolar mother who could not read or write and gave none of her children any love, pretty much became a carer for her mother from the age of seven, had an abusive father, only had a bath once a week when visiting her Gran, got pregnant at school at the age of 15 and left with no qualifications. Her second child was born very prematurely and is registered blind. She could have quite easily fallen through the system.

Yet she put herself through college, became passionately involved in the trades union movement, became a Labour MP and after the next election will most likely be Deputy Prime Minister. She is the perfect role model to all young people from her background.

I really hope this isn't another political career that end in tears.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour party on 09:52 - Feb 29 with 3673 viewsbluelagos

Dan knows his sh1t

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour party on 09:57 - Feb 29 with 3640 viewsDJR

Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour party on 09:39 - Feb 29 by GlasgowBlue

I haven't seen Guido's version, but as I understand it from reading other sources, she was a council tenant. She then took advantage of the Tory "Right To Buy" policy, and bought the council house she had rented, making a profit of £50,000.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Millions of people got on the housing ladder by doing the same. Although I do understand that she opposes the policy. So a bit like Diane Abbott and private education.

However, to qualify for the right to buy scheme you do have to be resident at that address. And where it gets confusing is after her wedding to her ex husband, she claims that from day one they lived apart. Angela at her registered address and her husband at his. Which does seem odd. Especially as they had children together.

When their first child was born she put down on the birth certificate that her address was the same as her husband's and not the address she now claims to have been living at. Her neighbours at the address where she claimed to be living say that her brother was living there and they only ever saw her once, when son broke her window with a football and her brother said his landlady would be visiting them to sort out payment for the damage. They claim that she wasn't resident there for the period she claims.

So she has either avoided Capital Gains Tax by claiming the ex council house was her main address or she has lied on her son's birth certificate, which is also a criminal offence.

From a purely personal point of view, I hope this is just a silly misunderstanding. Angela Rayner has an inspiring backstory. Brought up in abject poverty by her Bipolar mother who could not read or write and gave none of her children any love, pretty much became a carer for her mother from the age of seven, had an abusive father, only had a bath once a week when visiting her Gran, got pregnant at school at the age of 15 and left with no qualifications. Her second child was born very prematurely and is registered blind. She could have quite easily fallen through the system.

Yet she put herself through college, became passionately involved in the trades union movement, became a Labour MP and after the next election will most likely be Deputy Prime Minister. She is the perfect role model to all young people from her background.

I really hope this isn't another political career that end in tears.

Post edited because I bow to the superior knowledge of the tax expert, assuming the facts are as stated.
[Post edited 29 Feb 10:24]
Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour party on 10:01 - Feb 29 with 3600 viewsStokieBlue

So by your own admission, you have no evidence with which to create an informed opinion yet you've formed one anyway.

A prime example of why the country is in such a pickle.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour party on 10:10 - Feb 29 with 3515 viewsDanTheMan

Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour party on 09:52 - Feb 29 by bluelagos

Dan knows his sh1t

Easier version to read here as well:
https://taxpolicy.org.uk/2024/02/29/rayner/

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour party on 10:31 - Feb 29 with 3402 viewshype313

Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour party on 10:10 - Feb 29 by DanTheMan

A very small oversight, that she maybe charged a paltry £3.5k and this is a major headline?

Meanwhile the billions that were squandered by he Tories on dodgy PPE to thier mates goes unpunished.

MSM in this country is at it's lowest ebb in history.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour party on 10:46 - Feb 29 with 3342 viewsHerbivore

Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour party on 10:31 - Feb 29 by hype313

A very small oversight, that she maybe charged a paltry £3.5k and this is a major headline?

Meanwhile the billions that were squandered by he Tories on dodgy PPE to thier mates goes unpunished.

How much tax did the Sunak household avoid through his missus' non-dom status? I imagine it was a lot more than £3.5k. The sensible thing here would be for Rayner to get some advice on what her liability should have been and then pay it, saying it was an honest mistake as she had believed that both spouses were allowed to maintain separate main residences.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour party on 10:58 - Feb 29 with 3272 viewsDJR

Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour party on 10:46 - Feb 29 by Herbivore

How much tax did the Sunak household avoid through his missus' non-dom status? I imagine it was a lot more than £3.5k. The sensible thing here would be for Rayner to get some advice on what her liability should have been and then pay it, saying it was an honest mistake as she had believed that both spouses were allowed to maintain separate main residences.

If there is a CGT liability here, the better thing would have been for the Labour Party to get advice to establish the position, and meet the issue head on (with an apology if necessary), rather than allowing Rayner to put out what could be a misinformed and misleading statement, thus forcing Labour on the defensive.
[Post edited 29 Feb 11:04]
Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour party on 11:06 - Feb 29 with 3227 viewsJ2BLUE

Anyone else remember when evidence was needed to prove guilt rather than innocence?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour party on 11:16 - Feb 29 with 3198 viewsZapers

An honest mistake you think, from the deputy leader of the Labour Party.

Be careful, in a minute you’ll have Stokie asking what evidence you have to say it was “an honest mistake”
Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour party on 11:19 - Feb 29 with 3172 viewsHerbivore

Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour party on 11:16 - Feb 29 by Zapers

An honest mistake you think, from the deputy leader of the Labour Party.

Be careful, in a minute you’ll have Stokie asking what evidence you have to say it was “an honest mistake”

She wasn't deputy leader of the Labour Party at the time so not entirely sure what point you're trying to make. Can you spell it out please?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour party on 11:20 - Feb 29 with 3167 viewsNthQldITFC

One wonders whether this is a pre-emptive T*ry strike in the knowledge that something about Gove is about to be trumpeted, Zapers, old chap.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour party on 11:36 - Feb 29 with 3122 viewsGlasgowBlue

Completely agree. If it is an honest mistake then put your hands up and rectify asap. Kills the story.

Sadly with politicians, it is rarely the offence or mistake that does for them but the way they handle the story when it comes out.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour party on 11:47 - Feb 29 with 3068 viewsEwan_Oozami

Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour party on 10:10 - Feb 29 by DanTheMan

That's an interesting definition of the word "easier"! :-)

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour party on 11:51 - Feb 29 with 2990 viewslowhouseblue

Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour party on 11:36 - Feb 29 by GlasgowBlue

Completely agree. If it is an honest mistake then put your hands up and rectify asap. Kills the story.

Sadly with politicians, it is rarely the offence or mistake that does for them but the way they handle the story when it comes out.

if there is tax owing it clearly is an honest mistake. politicians need to be allowed to make the same sort of petty errors as everyone else. not knowing exactly how cgt works on properties purchased before marriage is not the greatest sin for anyone, even a politician.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour party on 11:52 - Feb 29 with 2970 viewsRadlett_blue

Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour party on 10:31 - Feb 29 by hype313

Yes, it's not really a "story" at all, especially given the ongoing largesse of many MP's expenses, "second homes" etc.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Angela Rayner, deputy leader of the Labour party on 11:54 - Feb 29 with 2938 viewsOldFart71

Where the need to start looking is the multi million pound contracts handed out for PPE, the Post Office scandal where both Conservatives and Labour spent 100 million on a coverup. Where HS2 is partly scrapped meaning hundreds of millions already spent on nothing. Where 15 million a day is being spent on immigrants in hotels. Where the Navy are questioning whether they may have to sell one of the two 3.5 billion aircraft carriers due to Hunt not putting anymore funds into the Armed Forces budget, but intent on giving sweetners in the form of tax cuts in the hope that the many voters who will revert back to Labour or just not bother to vote for a Party that has overseen 14 years of the Country in decline whilst everyone pays higher taxes.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024