Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Play Off Format 13:43 - May 12 with 2271 viewsChrisd

Personally, I think Non League have got it right, one off games with the teams finishing higher getting home advantage. Genuinely, why is there the need to have a two legged game apart from generating money? Also, this whole process would be over sooner, so those Play Off winning teams can have longer to prepare for promotion instead of stringing it out over the next few weeks.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

The Play Off Format on 13:47 - May 12 with 2060 viewsgainsboroughblue

Under Serie B rules, it would be a straight shoot out between Leeds and Soton.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

The Play Off Format on 13:49 - May 12 with 2029 viewsEastTownBlue

It certainly provides a greater advantage to the higher placed teams as well as providing an extra two places.

Not sure that it makes the play offs any qucker as there are still four matches prior to determining the finalists.
The Play Off Format on 13:56 - May 12 with 1984 viewsChrisd

The Play Off Format on 13:49 - May 12 by EastTownBlue

It certainly provides a greater advantage to the higher placed teams as well as providing an extra two places.

Not sure that it makes the play offs any qucker as there are still four matches prior to determining the finalists.

Perhaps ‘format’ was the wrong choice of word in this case, but adopting the approached with the current 4 teams: Leeds vs The Canaries and Southampton vs WBA and then a final game either at Wembley or at the team that finished highest in the league from the two finalists. 3 games in total - job done.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

The Play Off Format on 13:57 - May 12 with 1958 viewsOsmansCleanSheet

The Play Off Format on 13:49 - May 12 by EastTownBlue

Surely you’d just have 3rd v 6th, 4th v 5th (one off games) then final.
The Play Off Format on 14:02 - May 12 with 1905 viewsMullet

The Play Off Format on 13:57 - May 12 by OsmansCleanSheet

Surely you’d just have 3rd v 6th, 4th v 5th (one off games) then final.

3rd in the final

4th plays winner of 5th vs 6th in a semi.

Would mean you get some sort of recognition for finishing higher etc.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

The Play Off Format on 14:05 - May 12 with 1873 viewsGlory_Hunter

I suppose if that was the chosen route and the higher placed team get preference anyway then why not just give that team preference in the first place?

Reward them for coming 3rd without the need to put them through extra gruelling games at all.

I get that people enjoy the excitement of the play-offs and that it generates further income, but it really is a sickener after a long season that another club that's scraped in X amount of points beneath can leap frog another that has strived hard and achieved so much more.
The Play Off Format on 14:35 - May 12 with 1728 viewsVincakes

I quite agree. Better to give the third and fourth teams an advantage, with a single fixture going to extra time and penalties if needed.
Best to shorten the playoffs and help the teams finishing 3rd and 4th on 14:37 - May 12 with 1720 viewsVincakes

I quite agree. Better to give the third and fourth teams an advantage, with a single fixture going to extra time and penalties if needed.
Login to get fewer ads

The Play Off Format on 15:19 - May 12 with 1618 viewsstonojnr

The Play Off Format on 14:05 - May 12 by Glory_Hunter

I suppose if that was the chosen route and the higher placed team get preference anyway then why not just give that team preference in the first place?

Reward them for coming 3rd without the need to put them through extra gruelling games at all.

I get that people enjoy the excitement of the play-offs and that it generates further income, but it really is a sickener after a long season that another club that's scraped in X amount of points beneath can leap frog another that has strived hard and achieved so much more.

the team that finish 3rd dont normally have 90 odd points in the bank, so its just the gap looks bigger this year.

but that many points over 46 games, why is it suddenly so hard to extend their ability to carry on playing like that to 49 ?

and I dont see that it would a benefit for 3rd to only play the final, as thats literally them then not playing for three weeks, and going into the final cold, whilst the other teams have had the intensity of the games, match practice and their momentum going from the success to get there.

the reason why 6th often outplays 3rd, is because the 6th team have usually hit a good run of form at the right point in the season they carry it through, whilst 3rd are kind of losing the momentum, having secured the play offs early enough and usually not being in the automatic promotion hunt by then and having little to play for in those final league games.

again this year is a bit unusual as the budgies kind of dropped to 6th. and the other 3 playoff teams were kind of secure
The Play Off Format on 15:21 - May 12 with 1608 viewsHanser

The Play Off Format on 15:19 - May 12 by stonojnr

the team that finish 3rd dont normally have 90 odd points in the bank, so its just the gap looks bigger this year.

but that many points over 46 games, why is it suddenly so hard to extend their ability to carry on playing like that to 49 ?

and I dont see that it would a benefit for 3rd to only play the final, as thats literally them then not playing for three weeks, and going into the final cold, whilst the other teams have had the intensity of the games, match practice and their momentum going from the success to get there.

the reason why 6th often outplays 3rd, is because the 6th team have usually hit a good run of form at the right point in the season they carry it through, whilst 3rd are kind of losing the momentum, having secured the play offs early enough and usually not being in the automatic promotion hunt by then and having little to play for in those final league games.

again this year is a bit unusual as the budgies kind of dropped to 6th. and the other 3 playoff teams were kind of secure

Just promote the top three teams
The Play Off Format on 15:24 - May 12 with 1594 viewswithyblue

The Play Off Format on 15:19 - May 12 by stonojnr

6th very rarely outplays 3rd.
The Play Off Format on 15:29 - May 12 with 1561 viewsblueasfook

Personally, I'd actually scrap the play offs completely and just go back to the old way where the top 3 teams go up.

There can be 20pts or so between 3rd and 6th placed teams. That's a good 6 or 7 wins over the season. So why should the poorer team get a crack at promotion?

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

The Play Off Format on 16:46 - May 12 with 1441 viewshoppy

The Play Off Format on 14:02 - May 12 by Mullet

3rd in the final

That’s what I’ve always felt would be the best format.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

The Play Off Format on 16:54 - May 12 with 1420 viewsSwansea_Blue

The whole point is to generate money. Looking at it from any other angle is a waste of time I’d have thought. The league don’t want something ‘better’ (however you define that). If they adjust the format, they’re more likely to expand it out to include more teams or have top/bottom style of POs..

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The Play Off Format on 18:21 - May 12 with 1296 viewsMK1

Scrap them. If you finish 3rd over a 46 game season, then you deserve to take that place.
The Play Off Format on 18:54 - May 12 with 1228 viewsRadlett_blue

The Play Off Format on 15:29 - May 12 by blueasfook

Personally, I'd actually scrap the play offs completely and just go back to the old way where the top 3 teams go up.

There can be 20pts or so between 3rd and 6th placed teams. That's a good 6 or 7 wins over the season. So why should the poorer team get a crack at promotion?

It would be fairer, but so many teams would have a near pointless last 10 games or so of the season.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

The Play Off Format on 18:59 - May 12 with 1211 viewsAlanG296

The Play Off Format on 18:54 - May 12 by Radlett_blue

It would be fairer, but so many teams would have a near pointless last 10 games or so of the season.

So?

That can happen in a league. Having play offs encourage mediocrity.
The Play Off Format on 18:59 - May 12 with 1209 viewsGlasgowBlue

The Play Off Format on 18:21 - May 12 by MK1

Scrap them. If you finish 3rd over a 46 game season, then you deserve to take that place.

The season would be over by March fors most teams. The Championship is the best league for excitement and part of that is that things are interesting for a lot of teams up to the last day.

I'd go with:

Scum play WBA in a one leg game at The Hawthorns
The winner plays Southampton in a one leg game at St Marys
The winner plays Leeds in a one leg game at Elland Road
The winner plays Luton at Wembley

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The Play Off Format on 19:02 - May 12 with 1195 viewsRadlett_blue

The Play Off Format on 18:59 - May 12 by GlasgowBlue

The season would be over by March fors most teams. The Championship is the best league for excitement and part of that is that things are interesting for a lot of teams up to the last day.

I'd go with:

Agree with your idea, but not the Championship v PL shoot-out.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

The Play Off Format on 19:10 - May 12 with 1157 viewsgainsboroughblue

The Play Off Format on 19:02 - May 12 by Radlett_blue

Agree with your idea, but not the Championship v PL shoot-out.

I think part of the reason they stopped the '4th bottom' Division One (in old money) play-off was due to the carnage that came with Chelsea's relegation.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

The Play Off Format on 06:41 - May 13 with 905 viewsSpringfielder

I was massively against the play off system fir a long while but have come round to it, and facing facts, it'd not going away.
It does keep the season alive and clubs all not what they've signed up to..... you have to finish top 2 to secure promotion.
I do still think you could/should better reward finishing higher. This could be via the one-off matches at home or some other advantage, eg a goal headstart per 3 (or 5) points lead you gained over the season
The Play Off Format on 07:16 - May 13 with 865 viewsChurchman

The Play Off Format on 18:21 - May 12 by MK1

You are 100% correct in this. It is ridiculous that after 46 games where you have proven to be the third best side, that you do not get your reward. The play offs are ludicrous and inherently unfair.

On the other side of it, everyone knows the rules in August. It is what it is. For all their unfairness, the play offs are brilliant entertainment unless you are involved in them or watching Norwich and Leeds stumbling about. They keep a lot of interest for clubs/supporters throughout the season. Something to aim for. They’re exciting to watch and despite ITFC having an abysmal record in them, have provided me with some truly amazing memories.

In conclusion, keep the play offs. They’re totally illogical but work. The fact that pomegranate face Farke seems to be weeping under his wig because he thinks refs have been against dirty Leeds and doomed them to third makes them even better. I think the format is fine as it is. Don’t tinker with it.
The Play Off Format on 07:29 - May 13 with 826 viewsnodge_blue

The Play Off Format on 18:59 - May 12 by GlasgowBlue

I'd go with:

That’s my preferred idea too.

I think some benefit should go to the teams that finish higher

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

The Play Off Format on 08:12 - May 13 with 731 viewscbower

The Play Off Format on 14:02 - May 12 by Mullet

3rd in the final

Long advocated this. 5th at home versus 6th. 4th at home versus the winner. 3rd place straight to final at their home ground. All done and dusted in two weeks. This certainly gives the advantage to the higher placed side. It would mean fewer dead rubbers, keep every mid-table team still striving to get into
6th and reward where you finish properly.
[Post edited 13 May 8:18]

bluescouser

The Play Off Format on 08:29 - May 13 with 688 viewsyorkshireblue

I don't think we'll see wholesale changes for a while, but one subtle change that I think would ve interesting is giving the higher placing team choice of if they play home or away first... sure, home advantage is a big thing in the second leg - but some teams might prefer the chance to build a lead.

Or, as they used to do in Rugby League - have the team that finished 3rd choose which of the play-off teams they play. Whilst logic dictates you'd want to play the team that finished lowest - it could be that they have already beaten you this season but you have battered the team that finished 4th.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024