Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link 23:56 - May 14 with 20786 viewsIllinoisblue

He wouldn’t, would he?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/may/14/manchester-united-ponde

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:30 - May 15 with 1142 viewsReusersTown

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:06 - May 15 by Herbivore

It's the fact he has a say in the matter that means he will go if United come calling. The reasons not to take it are far outweighed by the reasons to take it. Anyone who thinks he'd turn United down is being very naive.

Just claiming anyone who doesn't agree with you is naive isn't the best look FYI.
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:35 - May 15 with 1095 viewstractorboy1978

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:26 - May 15 by Guthrum

But McKenna only signed a new four-year deal back in June. With his senior staff doing similar in September. All up to summer 2027, a long way ahead. Doubtless there would have been promotion bonuses and salary hikes included.

Continually waving new contracts in front of him smacks of desperation, especially when we already have something decent in place.

We are desperate to keep him though! When he signed that new deal he was being linked with Leicester, not Brighton or Manchester United. No idea what the terms of their contracts are but the salary/bonuses will need to be comparable with the going rate for a mid-tier PL manager. There was also talk of a £4m release which is absolute chicken feed in the context of the clubs he is now being linked with. We would want to protect ourselves on that front too.
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:35 - May 15 with 1090 viewsHerbivore

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:16 - May 15 by The_Flashing_Smile

Are they though? Do you know all his reasons?

You don't think the reasons to move from Ipswich to United outweigh the reasons not to? Take off the blue tinted specs, mate.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:37 - May 15 with 1077 viewsHerbivore

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:30 - May 15 by ReusersTown

Just claiming anyone who doesn't agree with you is naive isn't the best look FYI.

Don't really care how it looks, it's a reasonable opinion.

Exactly, they are a few years ahead of us… on 10:37 - May 15 with 1057 viewsBloots

Brighton is literally…. on 09:56 - May 15 by Guthrum

But are we not already those things, with the added advantages of him being embedded in the club and having his selected squad already in place?

They just timed their rise a few years before we have.

….that’s nothing to be ashamed of.

I think it’s a bit naive to think that Brighton aren’t currently (and that is the timeframe we are talking about) a more attractive option than us.

It’s incredibly difficult for a promoted club to stay in the PL, and you have to say even more difficult for one that has had 2 promotions in a row.

To think that KM would either risk having a relegation in his CV or wait “a few years” for us to be established IF Brighton made him an offer is totally fanciful.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:38 - May 15 with 1058 viewsScuzzer

The Grauniad...you believe what they say.

Established 1968

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:41 - May 15 with 1046 viewsHerbivore

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:38 - May 15 by Scuzzer

They have pretty much the highest journalistic standards of any print newspaper in the UK so if you're going to believe anything in the printed media, the Guardian is your best bet.

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:42 - May 15 with 1036 viewsStokieBlue

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:38 - May 15 by Scuzzer

It's in quite a few papers.

Which would be your source of choice?

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Login to get fewer ads

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:44 - May 15 with 994 viewsfooters

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:42 - May 15 by StokieBlue

It's in quite a few papers.

Which would be your source of choice?

SB

The Funday Times?

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:44 - May 15 with 989 viewsGuthrum

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:35 - May 15 by tractorboy1978

We are desperate to keep him though! When he signed that new deal he was being linked with Leicester, not Brighton or Manchester United. No idea what the terms of their contracts are but the salary/bonuses will need to be comparable with the going rate for a mid-tier PL manager. There was also talk of a £4m release which is absolute chicken feed in the context of the clubs he is now being linked with. We would want to protect ourselves on that front too.

I'd be very surprised if Ashton and his team were not already thinking of that.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:46 - May 15 with 960 viewsRyorry

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:30 - May 15 by blueasfook

Managing Man Utd isn't the dream job it used to be. Since Fergie stepped down, its been a managerial graveyard. Moyes, Mourinho, Van Gaal, Solskjaer, Rangnick, Ten Haag. All tried but failed to achieve success there. The playing squad is a bunch of primadonnas. Fans are nobs, stadium is leaking, Glazers have saddled it with debt.

Potentially thankless as well - keep them from dropping further = expected; fail to do that & get pilloried.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:47 - May 15 with 949 viewsGuthrum

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:41 - May 15 by Herbivore

They have pretty much the highest journalistic standards of any print newspaper in the UK so if you're going to believe anything in the printed media, the Guardian is your best bet.

Certainly not the alarmist comic for loons which the Telegraph has become. Finally cancelled my subscription.

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:50 - May 15 with 914 viewsgiant_stow

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:30 - May 15 by blueasfook

Managing Man Utd isn't the dream job it used to be. Since Fergie stepped down, its been a managerial graveyard. Moyes, Mourinho, Van Gaal, Solskjaer, Rangnick, Ten Haag. All tried but failed to achieve success there. The playing squad is a bunch of primadonnas. Fans are nobs, stadium is leaking, Glazers have saddled it with debt.

Fair summary!

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:52 - May 15 with 894 viewsHerbivore

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:47 - May 15 by Guthrum

Certainly not the alarmist comic for loons which the Telegraph has become. Finally cancelled my subscription.

Telegraph sports coverage has historically been very good and although they're miles away from me politically, they always used to be a vaguely sensible publication. The last 5 years or so (possibly longer) they've completely lost the plot and it's a mix of propaganda and borderline conspiracy fantasist nonsense. Sad to see a 'quality' newspaper going downhill like that.

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:53 - May 15 with 888 viewsleitrimblue

I can't help but think this as something to do with Jayesss blog..
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:54 - May 15 with 858 viewsRyorry

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:47 - May 15 by Guthrum

You paying that comic outfit for the past few years is more shocking news than KM being linked to Utd!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:56 - May 15 with 844 viewsfooters

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:52 - May 15 by Herbivore

Telegraph sports coverage has historically been very good and although they're miles away from me politically, they always used to be a vaguely sensible publication. The last 5 years or so (possibly longer) they've completely lost the plot and it's a mix of propaganda and borderline conspiracy fantasist nonsense. Sad to see a 'quality' newspaper going downhill like that.

It used to be a very good read, albeit from the opposite political stance to mine. But to see what it's become now is quite sad. It's like Pravda for the ERG.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:57 - May 15 with 827 viewspointofblue

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:30 - May 15 by ReusersTown

Though sadly, I think accurate. As I said last night (think I posted it on here) - McKenna's star can wain as quickly as it's risen. Look at Cooper, Edwards and Kompany. They're hardly in demand now after relegation scraps. If United do ask him to become manager it will probably be a case of now or never for him.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:58 - May 15 with 816 viewsnodge_blue

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:44 - May 15 by footers

The Funday Times?

Im afraid that got axed about ten years ago.

Kids seem to do GTA more than the beano these days.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:59 - May 15 with 804 viewsGuthrum

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:54 - May 15 by Ryorry

You paying that comic outfit for the past few years is more shocking news than KM being linked to Utd!

I've always liked to read a wide range of sources, but there are limits.

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:59 - May 15 with 811 viewsPhilTWTD

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:25 - May 15 by nodge_blue

That's a dangerous game though as players like Omari will probably only come here if McKenna is in situ. They big up their man for a potential move whilst gently pulling the rug from under his ITFC feet?

I don't even see that they need to big him up given the hype around him at the moment anyway. The cameras seem fascinated with him chatting with Southgate the other night.

I suspect there is something in it. Man U will have a list of potential replacements and he clearly has to be on it. But there's a long way between that and approaching ITFC about it all.

Clubs of Man U's stature don't tend to appoint managers who haven't taken charge of a top flight match, would be a huge risk for them at this stage. We're talking a couple of years down the line with Town or with another job in between.
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:00 - May 15 with 788 viewsGlasgowBlue

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:54 - May 15 by Ryorry

Man not living in echo chamber shocker!!

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:03 - May 15 with 747 viewsitfcjoe

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:46 - May 15 by nodge_blue

I really don't see him going to Brighton and certainly not Brentford as mentioned yesterday. I think he will either go to a top six club or not at all.

Brighton are only a step away from us and arguably, he would like us to hunt them down and be the next Brighton. I don't even see them as a safe option as they have probably reached their ceiling and its either sideways or down for them.

He isn't going to be here long enough to hunt Brighton down, their first 4 seasons in the PL saw them finish between 15th and 17th before finally getting themselves to the levels and putting 3 top 10 finishes in a row together.

They are just far ahead of us, we might not take 5 years to catch them, but we won't do it in 1-2 and like them we'll need different managers on that journey because no one will hang around for that whole time.

The best we can hope for sadly is KM staying next season and keeping us up, and that is where I'd be leaning to currently as most likely - but could easily go the other way.

The biggest worry we have this season is Roberto De Zerbi getting a job elsewhere and the Brighton vacancy being there

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:07 - May 15 with 686 viewsFrimleyBlue

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 10:35 - May 15 by Herbivore

You don't think the reasons to move from Ipswich to United outweigh the reasons not to? Take off the blue tinted specs, mate.

Pro's
Pay Rise
Big club
Potential Euro football
High profile
It's man Utd

Cons
Relocation - children settled, KM settled
Recent managers go to Old trafford to fail
Manage a team of ego's
Poor owners
Ground and training ground in state of disrepair
Immediate Media pressure
Immediate fan expectations
Mixed Fan views
Unknown management structure
Big squad overhaul needed

Ipswich pros
Club being built with Kieron involved in its on and off pitch projects
squad moulded to his desires
Ownership group running club well
CEO leaves him to get on with his job
Settled
Potential to achieve legacies of previous historic managers
Time to test himself at the highest level
No prem expectations
Trust from everyone around him
Only 39, plenty of time to move to a bigger club

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:09 - May 15 with 651 viewsnodge_blue

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 11:03 - May 15 by itfcjoe

He isn't going to be here long enough to hunt Brighton down, their first 4 seasons in the PL saw them finish between 15th and 17th before finally getting themselves to the levels and putting 3 top 10 finishes in a row together.

They are just far ahead of us, we might not take 5 years to catch them, but we won't do it in 1-2 and like them we'll need different managers on that journey because no one will hang around for that whole time.

The best we can hope for sadly is KM staying next season and keeping us up, and that is where I'd be leaning to currently as most likely - but could easily go the other way.

The biggest worry we have this season is Roberto De Zerbi getting a job elsewhere and the Brighton vacancy being there

Who would have believed that we would get to the premier league in two years?

With the right recruitment and McKenna as manager I think we could over take Brighton in a similar timescale.

But it's a moot point right now. I will buy you a pint if he ends up at Brighton this window. I just don't see it.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024