Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen 09:27 - May 21 with 35876 viewsitfcjoe

Rob Edwards seems to be the only name mentioned yet so presume there is something in that

If we want the most continuity I would be doing what it takes to get Michael Carrick out of Boro, he signed a new deal a week or so back and very bought into the project there but I really like him too. Very tough deal to do I imagine.

I think the Pl may be a step too far, but had we stayed down I'd have been all over Danny Rohl, he strikes me as the most McKenna like as a career coach, great experience and done a fantastic job at Sheff Weds, really impressive and seems to 'get it' judging by their fan base.

Also, another name not seen mentioned much is Steve Cooper, did really well in the mad house that is Nottingham Forest, great developer of young players and good PL experience.

I've seen a few say Graham Potter but he feels unrealistic when you see the jobs linked with, is still being paid an exorbitant amount by Chelsea so not sure we'd have the clout to attract him

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 09:31 - May 21 with 10139 viewsJ2BLUE

I've been fairly chilled about McKenna because for me the big goal was always the Premier League so we're now in bonus territory but that list has me feeling a little bit sick.

They are all decent managers but they all feel like a big downgrade. No idea who i'd like to see come in.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 09:32 - May 21 with 10118 viewsWeirdFishes

I’m pretending not to see the Edwards links as I think that would be a truly shocking appointment.

Feel the same as you about Rohl and Potter, would obviously love Potter but it’s very unlikely and Rohl hasn’t even had a full season at Wednesday.

I like the Cooper idea, he kept up Forest which is ultimately our aim, it’s unglamorous but might be what we’d need. I’m not sold on Carrick as much as others, poor mans McKenna.

I think Corberan could work for what we need.

Mourinho?

TWTD Participant
Poll: Who's Worse?

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 09:33 - May 21 with 10102 viewsnodge_blue

I dont think you have to worry about managers stepping up to the premier league as much as you do players. The skill set stays the same. So danny would be my choice but im reluctant to even consider it all yet.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 09:33 - May 21 with 10080 viewsKeno

I still wonder about Aluko

Liam Manning wouldn't be a bad shout

Poll: IF TWTD was a constituency who'd you vote for?
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 09:33 - May 21 with 10078 viewsSimonds92

Would take any of these apart from Edwards, he is completely different in his approach and I think the season would be over before it begins for us. The other options give us a chance.
Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 09:35 - May 21 with 10042 viewsFromReuserWithLove

I agree with Carrick.

Also think a progressive young foreign coach like Iraola could get us moving in the right direction and a direct line into the foreign player market. The new Pochettino.
Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 09:36 - May 21 with 9999 viewshype313

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 09:33 - May 21 by Keno

I still wonder about Aluko

Liam Manning wouldn't be a bad shout

I think Manning would've been a great shout if we missed out on PL and McK went, think it would be a huge gamble now.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 09:36 - May 21 with 9970 viewsReuser_is_God

I can’t even begin to think about it but they all seem a downgrade to me.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Login to get fewer ads

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 09:36 - May 21 with 9972 viewsMoriarty

Anthony Barry or Graham Potter would do nicely.

fka omuircheartaigh

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 09:37 - May 21 with 9937 viewsStewart27

I’m not at all struck on Rob Edwards. I think he’s a really likeable chap and speaks really well. Despite doing a great job at Luton I feel it would be a complete change in playing style for us. Now is not the time for that.

Cooper got a really raw deal at Forest. The club model of throwing all that cash at the situation the first year after promotion undid all the momentum that he brought in their extraordinary rise up through the championship. He’d have my backing.

I actually think we could get Potter. He’s in danger of being out of football for too long. I think Ashton could work some magic here. He’d be my number one choice.

The form of Boro last year worries me about Carrick. But has shown glimpses of being a really good manager and would fit our model.

I think Rohl is a bit too much of a punt at the moment.
It could be the perfect opportunity to… on 09:38 - May 21 with 9900 viewsBloots

….move straight to someone with some PL experience, rather than look to someone with potential.

With that in mind Potter would be top of the list, but as you say probably unrealistic.

Cooper for me is the standout candidate, I think if he was working he’d even be an outsider for The England job.

If we are looking at potential then it’s Rohl, Cuesta, Cifuentes and maybe Still.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 09:42 - May 21 with 9792 viewsFrimleyBlue

Moyes
Southgate
Rosenior
Jesse marche

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

You silly sod. (n/t) on 09:44 - May 21 with 9750 viewsBloots

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 09:42 - May 21 by FrimleyBlue

Moyes
Southgate
Rosenior
Jesse marche

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 09:44 - May 21 with 9763 viewsGuthrum

Klopp? Especially if Kompany is gazumping him at Bayern.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 09:45 - May 21 with 9736 viewsjayessess

I'm still firmly in denial at the moment, but should the worst happen it'll take a long time to shake the feeling that we'd be going from a transformational once-in-a-generation manager to ... just some guy.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 09:45 - May 21 with 9711 viewsWeirdFishes

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 09:42 - May 21 by FrimleyBlue

Moyes
Southgate
Rosenior
Jesse marche

I think I could write an essay on why each of them would be a disaster.

TWTD Participant
Poll: Who's Worse?

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 09:47 - May 21 with 9652 viewsParky

Obviously loads of whispers flying about, but was told this morning that Luton / Edwards have already turned down an initial approach from us.

I honestly do not see the attraction with him, just been relegated and does not play a similar type of football to us.

Carrick would be my first pick, but would also take Solskjaer if he’s interested.
Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 09:48 - May 21 with 9630 viewspointofblue

If we hire Cooper next - whenever that is - we would have covered the British Isles with our last four managers.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 09:50 - May 21 with 9558 viewsbluesbrothers

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 09:36 - May 21 by Moriarty

Anthony Barry or Graham Potter would do nicely.

Barry was in the final 2 with McKenna last time round
Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 09:50 - May 21 with 9551 viewsEuropablue

Moyes
Southgate
Rosenior
Jesse marche

If we brought in Southgate I might stop watching us. It won't happen though because whoever comes in has to be onboard with "running to adversity" or we'd have to change that to "embodying risk adversity"
It could be the perfect opportunity to… on 09:51 - May 21 with 9514 viewstractorboy1978

It could be the perfect opportunity to… on 09:38 - May 21 by Bloots

….move straight to someone with some PL experience, rather than look to someone with potential.

With that in mind Potter would be top of the list, but as you say probably unrealistic.

Cooper for me is the standout candidate, I think if he was working he’d even be an outsider for The England job.

If we are looking at potential then it’s Rohl, Cuesta, Cifuentes and maybe Still.

It would be a tough call for Ashton because ultimately year 1 we need to stay up by hook or by crook. You need some sort of continuity in style and someone aligned with the principles drilled into the squad but at the same time if you appoint a low-grade McKenna playing the same way, we could get absolutely torn a new one.

I don't understand the style concerns over Edwards personally. He isn't identical to McKenna (who is?) but he's hardly Allardyce or Pulis. His teams always score plenty of goals, are front foot, aggressive and high energy. At FGR he was absolutely lauded for his playing style. At Luton this season, their problem was conceding too many goals and being on the wrong end of a lot of fine margin games. He really impresses me as a person too whenever I listen to him. Seems to harness real spirit and can galvanise a team. Can see why Ashton would like his 'values' and think they align with us.

EDIT - though Potter (optimistic) or Cooper would be my top two candidates.
[Post edited 21 May 9:55]
Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 09:52 - May 21 with 9489 viewsJ2BLUE

Moyes
Southgate
Rosenior
Jesse marche

No.
No.
Maybe in the future.
No.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 09:52 - May 21 with 9489 viewsEuropablue

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 09:45 - May 21 by WeirdFishes

I think I could write an essay on why each of them would be a disaster.

Moyes would not be a disaster, he'd probably establish us as a Premier League side, but the change in style would be jarring.
Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 09:53 - May 21 with 9471 viewshype313

Moyes
Southgate
Rosenior
Jesse marche

Let's throw Megson, Bruce and Sherwood into that list.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 09:53 - May 21 with 9468 viewsyorkshireblue

Lee Grant...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024