Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
anyone have sympathy for McCarthy?..... 08:30 - Aug 3 with 7556 viewsblueysbackside

.....what with all these signings potentially coming in?
Should Evans have backed him more in the transfer market when he needed it most (like when we ended up with Leon Best as Daryl Murphy's replacement)?

anyone have sympathy for McCarthy?..... on 08:31 - Aug 3 with 3889 viewsmaccyd9

Sorry who?
anyone have sympathy for McCarthy?..... on 08:33 - Aug 3 with 3864 viewsReuser_is_God

Not particularly.

The difference between the Murphy sale summer & this summer is that we bought the funds in early from Webster.

It’s bit of a myth that Mick didn’t have money, he signed a lot of experienced championship players who would’ve commanded a higher wage than those players we’ve signed this summer, meaning Hurst has more money for fees.

It’s Micks fault that he wasted the money he had from the Mings sale.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

anyone have sympathy for McCarthy?..... on 08:34 - Aug 3 with 3862 viewsKieran_Knows

£8m from Mings, spent on;

Coke
Toure
Douglas
Malarczyk
Oar

Pitman/Knudsen, I'll give him his due over them.

What did he say once ... 'never forget'. Well I'm still having nightmares over that summer of signing sh*te.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

anyone have sympathy for McCarthy?..... on 08:34 - Aug 3 with 3851 viewscrazyblue68

Course he should have backed him. These are only kids he is getting in. Lower league and inexperienced. We are in trouble.
anyone have sympathy for McCarthy?..... on 08:34 - Aug 3 with 3838 viewsKieran_Knows

anyone have sympathy for McCarthy?..... on 08:34 - Aug 3 by crazyblue68

Course he should have backed him. These are only kids he is getting in. Lower league and inexperienced. We are in trouble.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

anyone have sympathy for McCarthy?..... on 08:37 - Aug 3 with 3801 viewsVic

No. I liked Mick but he chose to look in different places for his players. I don’t think ME is funding Hurst anymore than he did Mick, because Hurst is selling to get funds. Mick never did that, probably partly because he didn’t have the players worth selling.

So PH has a lot to be thankful to Mick for in having players with some resale value.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

anyone have sympathy for McCarthy?..... on 08:42 - Aug 3 with 3732 viewsMullet

anyone have sympathy for McCarthy?..... on 08:34 - Aug 3 by Kieran_Knows

Coke
Toure
Douglas
Malarczyk
Oar

What did he say once ... 'never forget'. Well I'm still having nightmares over that summer of signing sh*te.

As well as the new improved deals for MCGoldrick etc. If you think £8m only went on those players and you downplay a couple who were decent, well that’s convenient I guess.

Evans has been a massive a problem previously, I’m disappointed so many were duped by the pre-recorded interview. However, he seems to have realised it is more cost efficient to back Hurst now, like he did with Jewell and Keane.

What’ll be really interesting is how he acts in the coming season. You get the feeling he’s been happy to let Hurst say who goes as use a chunk of that money. It’s the same MO but Hurst has taken a far ballsier approach in terms of permanent signings but looks to remain far more reliant on loans than anyone since Jewell.

I’d say you can only applaud the guts, and look forward to seeing it working this time around.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

anyone have sympathy for McCarthy?..... on 08:43 - Aug 3 with 3718 viewsBlueBadger

And yet again, I'd like to remind people that it's not really trolling if the only person in the thread who is looking angry and/or stupid is the 'troll' themselves.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

anyone have sympathy for McCarthy?..... on 08:44 - Aug 3 with 3705 viewsbluewein

anyone have sympathy for McCarthy?..... on 08:34 - Aug 3 by crazyblue68

Whereas your lot are using the Maddison money so well...

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

anyone have sympathy for McCarthy?..... on 08:44 - Aug 3 with 3704 viewsBluefish

Nearly all owners back the manager more at the start. It is laughable that our fans think they got rid of Mick by the awful behaviour. Mick was at the end of his contract and itbwas clear He was going by the fact Evans wouldn't let him bring anyone in.

None of it matters Hurst is here now. By the nature of football one day these discussions will take place again buy Hurst will be in the place of Mick and there will be a new guy. I can't say I ever think about Mick or pine for his return but i will always appreciate what he did, Hurst is here now and I am fully behind him taking us to the next level

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

anyone have sympathy for McCarthy?..... on 08:47 - Aug 3 with 3642 viewsitfcbam

I strongly suspect with these signings coming in Waggy will be on his way to fund this.
With the players Mick signed from Mings money most of the money covered the 'normal' operating losses that season. The incoming including wages worked out somewhere in region of 3-4m. Much like what is happening now, assuming Waggy does go, as expected. We will therefore balance the books for the year (thus not increasing the heavy debt to the ownet) and bring in fresh players, hopefully Will turn out to be good business.
Looking forward to seeing it in action tomorrow. Coyb
anyone have sympathy for McCarthy?..... on 08:47 - Aug 3 with 3639 viewswallyvincent

No. He could have done the same but didn’t.

“....he’s a young tearaway by the name of Wally Vincent” - DCI Frank Haskins, Metropolitan Police Flying Squad 1975

anyone have sympathy for McCarthy?..... on 08:49 - Aug 3 with 3604 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Coke
Toure
Douglas
Malarczyk
Oar

That’s not £8m worth of investment though, is it? And even if you factor in improved deals for some of or existing players in reality that is money we would have had to spend anyway, and in some cases plugging other gaps in the squad

I don’t think there can be any doubt that Hurst has had a bit more to play with this Summer than Mick ever did, although that’s likely because of the Webster sale and Waghorn presumably being off meaning we’ll have recouped more in fees than before

It’s exciting to see and definitely time the squad was given an overhaul, but obviously remains to be seen whether we actually improve on the pitch

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

anyone have sympathy for McCarthy?..... on 08:51 - Aug 3 with 3572 viewsStokieBlue

anyone have sympathy for McCarthy?..... on 08:42 - Aug 3 by Mullet

As well as the new improved deals for MCGoldrick etc. If you think £8m only went on those players and you downplay a couple who were decent, well that’s convenient I guess.

Evans has been a massive a problem previously, I’m disappointed so many were duped by the pre-recorded interview. However, he seems to have realised it is more cost efficient to back Hurst now, like he did with Jewell and Keane.

What’ll be really interesting is how he acts in the coming season. You get the feeling he’s been happy to let Hurst say who goes as use a chunk of that money. It’s the same MO but Hurst has taken a far ballsier approach in terms of permanent signings but looks to remain far more reliant on loans than anyone since Jewell.

I’d say you can only applaud the guts, and look forward to seeing it working this time around.

The thing with the new policy is that bringing in his team of league one all-stars does have potentially far more upside. A few good seasons and those players could kick on and either propel us up the table or be worth a fair chunk.

It's going to be interesting to see if it will work but in theory there is no reason why picking up the best players from the league below shouldn't work at the next level.

Going to be an interesting year, I'm looking forward to it and can't wait for Sat.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

anyone have sympathy for McCarthy?..... on 08:52 - Aug 3 with 3555 viewsBasuco

MM signed some very good, very average and very poor players, in general I feel MM did very well in the players he brought in, I expect PH to do much the same, it remains to be seen if his good signings out weigh the bad ones. As has already been stated one advantage PH has had is the Webster fee early, otherwise we would not have been in a position to demand such a high fee for Martyn Waghorn. I feel more sorry for PJ who inherited a very very poor squad and having had his wallet raided big time on rubbish players by RK, ME did not allow much money to change things.
anyone have sympathy for McCarthy?..... on 08:53 - Aug 3 with 3545 viewsElderGrizzly

anyone have sympathy for McCarthy?..... on 08:49 - Aug 3 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

That’s not £8m worth of investment though, is it? And even if you factor in improved deals for some of or existing players in reality that is money we would have had to spend anyway, and in some cases plugging other gaps in the squad

I don’t think there can be any doubt that Hurst has had a bit more to play with this Summer than Mick ever did, although that’s likely because of the Webster sale and Waghorn presumably being off meaning we’ll have recouped more in fees than before

It’s exciting to see and definitely time the squad was given an overhaul, but obviously remains to be seen whether we actually improve on the pitch

It’s not, because it misses out the millions spent on loan fees that Mick spent.

Nothing has changed really. There is a playing budget, that can be spent on wages, or fees or a combination of both.

[Post edited 3 Aug 2018 8:54]
anyone have sympathy for McCarthy?..... on 08:54 - Aug 3 with 3515 viewsBluefish

anyone have sympathy for McCarthy?..... on 08:51 - Aug 3 by StokieBlue

The thing with the new policy is that bringing in his team of league one all-stars does have potentially far more upside. A few good seasons and those players could kick on and either propel us up the table or be worth a fair chunk.

It's going to be interesting to see if it will work but in theory there is no reason why picking up the best players from the league below shouldn't work at the next level.

Going to be an interesting year, I'm looking forward to it and can't wait for Sat.

SB

It was interesting that darragh tried to cover up the Edwards talks by saying Marcus phoned Barry for transfer advice. We seem to be following the Peterborough model (pre Steve evans) of signing players at an age from lower leagues theybhave potential to move us on and to increase in value. It seems an obvious thing to do but posh have done it well

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

anyone have sympathy for McCarthy?..... on 08:57 - Aug 3 with 3495 viewsElderGrizzly

anyone have sympathy for McCarthy?..... on 08:54 - Aug 3 by Bluefish

It was interesting that darragh tried to cover up the Edwards talks by saying Marcus phoned Barry for transfer advice. We seem to be following the Peterborough model (pre Steve evans) of signing players at an age from lower leagues theybhave potential to move us on and to increase in value. It seems an obvious thing to do but posh have done it well

More of a gamble for us though, as much easier to do it at a smaller club in L1 where the standard is lower.

It’s certainly the right direction for us though
anyone have sympathy for McCarthy?..... on 08:59 - Aug 3 with 3468 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I've moved on from Mick McCarthy.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

anyone have sympathy for McCarthy?..... on 09:00 - Aug 3 with 3457 viewsBecclesITFC

Yip. Now he's gone and the majority got what they wanted (that includes me) we should show a bit of respect as he did actually do well for us... I do believe he saved us BIG TIME!!
anyone have sympathy for McCarthy?..... on 09:02 - Aug 3 with 3445 viewskpblues

Not really. Mick had a good run at it. Couple of good years then stalemate and decline.

Whereas Mick got experienced championship players often taking a step down Paul is getting young players stepping up and hungry to play for the club and use existing experienced ones to bring them along.
Give me this any day - to me this should be the Town way.
Also...
It wasn't lack of money that caused Mick pre season to be the same old easy games.
It wasn't lack of money that made his tactics 'Don't lose' as opposed to 'let's try and win'.
It wasn't lack of money that made him approach Cup games with such disdain.
It wasn't lack of money that turned him against the fans so badly.

Mick's gone.

Now let's get behind Paul and the boys.

COYB

Poll: Do you want Ipswich to be a city?

anyone have sympathy for McCarthy?..... on 09:02 - Aug 3 with 3440 viewsSwansea_Blue

Never mind McCarthy. I still have nightmares from THAT picture of PJ, to go along with him shafting US with HIS transfer dealings.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

anyone have sympathy for McCarthy?..... on 09:03 - Aug 3 with 3432 viewsMullet

anyone have sympathy for McCarthy?..... on 08:51 - Aug 3 by StokieBlue

SB

Not to be pedantic but it’s best to bear in mind these aren’t the “all-stars” these are the supporting cast to the likes of Marriott, Pitman et al. That’s not to do them down, but we are gambling on being able to upscale and promote them asap, to improve the squad.

I think the fixture list is even more feast then famine than ever for me. This month looks busy, some months I’ll make one game if I’m lucky. That will hopefully coincide with some good spells.

Churchmans in the sun is my favourite part of the year.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

anyone have sympathy for McCarthy?..... on 09:04 - Aug 3 with 3426 viewstextbackup

not in the slightest.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

anyone have sympathy for McCarthy?..... on 09:08 - Aug 3 with 3388 viewsSuperfrans

anyone have sympathy for McCarthy?..... on 08:33 - Aug 3 by Reuser_is_God

Not particularly.

The difference between the Murphy sale summer & this summer is that we bought the funds in early from Webster.

It’s bit of a myth that Mick didn’t have money, he signed a lot of experienced championship players who would’ve commanded a higher wage than those players we’ve signed this summer, meaning Hurst has more money for fees.

It’s Micks fault that he wasted the money he had from the Mings sale.

He didn't get the money from the Mings sale. It changed our losses from an annual average of £6-7m to £5.3m profit in the year we sold Mings.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024