Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Surprised not to see this mentioned 16:12 - Aug 10 with 5552 viewsuefacup81

Accusations of Tory corruption have been growing and growing, so here are the BBC, right on cue, to try and divert our attention/anger back towards 'migrants'.

Seems that they were so keen to get on with the "yeah, but foreigners" angle, they forgot the 1982 UN Convention of the Law at Sea:

“...every State shall require the master of a ship flying its flag, in so far as he can do so without serious damage to the ship, the crew, or the passengers… render assistance to any person found at sea in danger of being lost [and] to proceed with all possible speed to the rescue of persons in distress, if informed of the need of assistance, in so far as such action may reasonably be expected of him.”

Although I suppose bailing out a flimsy over-loaded rib with a plastic bottle is somewhat ambiguous...

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 16:16 - Aug 10 with 3540 viewsJ2BLUE

Some gigantic leaps there.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 16:16 - Aug 10 with 3537 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I suspect every migrant boat crossing the channel happens to suffer a 'leak' and finds themselves bailing water out.

It's called a loophole.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 16:20 - Aug 10 with 3517 viewsuefacup81

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 16:16 - Aug 10 by J2BLUE

Some gigantic leaps there.

The problem is that this sort of thing is as regular as clockwork.

No doubt these crossings haven't just started happening again since they've made a reappearance in the media over the last five days or so.

It just seems awfully convenient that migrants/refugees only seem to be newsworthy to this sort of extent when there's Government shenanigans that need to be pushed down the running order.

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 16:22 - Aug 10 with 3511 viewsuefacup81

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 16:16 - Aug 10 by Marshalls_Mullet

I suspect every migrant boat crossing the channel happens to suffer a 'leak' and finds themselves bailing water out.

It's called a loophole.

Regardless, the UN Convention doesn't require the Master to ascertain whether the difficulties have been 'legitimately' encountered.

It's a very simple directive - if there's a vessel in distress, and it is safe for you to do so, you render assistance. No grey area there whatsoever.

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 16:23 - Aug 10 with 3506 viewsLankHenners

The reaction to scenes such as this always shows the country up really badly.

Fck knows why the BBC thought it was a good idea to commentate on this specific boat like they've found a rare whale off the coast as a piece of light breakfast entertainment.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 16:25 - Aug 10 with 3495 viewsKeno

perhaps all of those (add word to suit) who showed such care and compassion for their fellow mankind a few months ago could help soak up the water in those boats by donating from their vast stores of stockpiled toilet paper

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 16:28 - Aug 10 with 3470 viewsuefacup81

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 16:25 - Aug 10 by Keno

perhaps all of those (add word to suit) who showed such care and compassion for their fellow mankind a few months ago could help soak up the water in those boats by donating from their vast stores of stockpiled toilet paper

They've probably had to use it to wipe up the rage-induced spittle that the mere mention of 'migrants' will have induced.

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 16:30 - Aug 10 with 3463 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 16:22 - Aug 10 by uefacup81

Regardless, the UN Convention doesn't require the Master to ascertain whether the difficulties have been 'legitimately' encountered.

It's a very simple directive - if there's a vessel in distress, and it is safe for you to do so, you render assistance. No grey area there whatsoever.

Taking advantage of the convention could divert much needed resources from somewhere they are genuinely needed.

Not saying I have the answer to this, but the current situation is not satisfactory for any party.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Login to get fewer ads

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 16:31 - Aug 10 with 3456 viewsJ2BLUE

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 16:20 - Aug 10 by uefacup81

The problem is that this sort of thing is as regular as clockwork.

No doubt these crossings haven't just started happening again since they've made a reappearance in the media over the last five days or so.

It just seems awfully convenient that migrants/refugees only seem to be newsworthy to this sort of extent when there's Government shenanigans that need to be pushed down the running order.

Lots of news sites have been talking about migrant crossings for at least the last week.

As for turning peoples' anger towards migrants, does it really? I don't think so. Maybe a few who shout the loudest but the majority I genuinely don't think they think like that.

People from Syria, a war torn country, risking their lives traveling across the sea with what looks to be virtually no protection from the sun just to come and live as a second class non official citizen with no rights and safeguards what we all take for granted purely by being born at random on this little island.

I would imagine the majority feel for them rather than direct anger at them.

Truly impaired.

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 16:33 - Aug 10 with 3446 viewsuefacup81

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 16:30 - Aug 10 by Marshalls_Mullet

Taking advantage of the convention could divert much needed resources from somewhere they are genuinely needed.

Not saying I have the answer to this, but the current situation is not satisfactory for any party.

I'm not sure it does, in all honesty.

From my reading of it, the convention (or that particular part of it) is aimed at vessels that just happen to be passing, or that pick up the relevant distress signal/call. It is unlikely that a vessel rendering assistance under the convention would otherwise be responding to a distressed vessel elsewhere.

The boat that was carrying the BBC crew, regardless of its reasons for being 'on scene', would have been obliged to render assistance if there was any indication (legitimate or otherwise) that the vessel was in distress.

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 16:35 - Aug 10 with 3425 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 16:33 - Aug 10 by uefacup81

From my reading of it, the convention (or that particular part of it) is aimed at vessels that just happen to be passing, or that pick up the relevant distress signal/call. It is unlikely that a vessel rendering assistance under the convention would otherwise be responding to a distressed vessel elsewhere.

The boat that was carrying the BBC crew, regardless of its reasons for being 'on scene', would have been obliged to render assistance if there was any indication (legitimate or otherwise) that the vessel was in distress.

Theres the solution.

Sky, BBC etc can act as defacto life guard seeing as they happen to be there.

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 17:15 - Aug 10 with 3315 viewsFtnfwest

Escaping the EU is now perfectly justifiable shocker
Surprised not to see this mentioned on 17:31 - Aug 10 with 3290 viewsBlueBadger

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 17:15 - Aug 10 by Ftnfwest

Escaping the EU is now perfectly justifiable shocker

Fancy that, it WAS all about xenophobia after all!
[Post edited 10 Aug 2020 17:32]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 17:35 - Aug 10 with 3274 viewsDarth_Koont

I'd add that the other people we need to stand against are those who most talk about immigration.

Pronouns: He/Him

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 17:37 - Aug 10 with 3251 viewsDubtractor

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 16:31 - Aug 10 by J2BLUE

Lots of news sites have been talking about migrant crossings for at least the last week.

As for turning peoples' anger towards migrants, does it really? I don't think so. Maybe a few who shout the loudest but the majority I genuinely don't think they think like that.

People from Syria, a war torn country, risking their lives traveling across the sea with what looks to be virtually no protection from the sun just to come and live as a second class non official citizen with no rights and safeguards what we all take for granted purely by being born at random on this little island.

I never had you down as naive mate, but that last sentence.....

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 17:39 - Aug 10 with 3240 viewsJ2BLUE

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 17:37 - Aug 10 by Dubtractor

I never had you down as naive mate, but that last sentence.....

You don't think 50% +1 would agree? I'm not talking about your average Daily Mail reader but just the general population.

Truly impaired.

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 17:44 - Aug 10 with 3226 viewsm14_blue

I love the sentiment mate and wholeheartedly agree with your take on it.

Unfortunately I think you rather over estimate the common decency of the majority of our compatriots. A few years ago I’d have agreed with you, not any more.
Surprised not to see this mentioned on 18:03 - Aug 10 with 3163 viewsFtnfwest

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 17:35 - Aug 10 by Darth_Koont

I'd add that the other people we need to stand against are those who most talk about immigration.

Is he talking about Harry and Meghan?
Surprised not to see this mentioned on 18:16 - Aug 10 with 3125 viewsMullet

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 17:39 - Aug 10 by J2BLUE

You don't think 50% +1 would agree? I'm not talking about your average Daily Mail reader but just the general population.

The "average Daily Mail reader" is the general population. They have completely cornered the media through their brand of right-wing indignation, paedo-lite gawping and curtain twitching gossipy sh1te on social media.

They've become the template most local rags aspire to now as well.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 18:29 - Aug 10 with 3100 viewsNewcyBlue

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 16:33 - Aug 10 by uefacup81

There was no indication of distress on the migrants RIB.

Bailing out was probably because of water coming over the bow. It happens. The RIB isn’t really meant for that amount of people.

The boat the BBC were on looked like it wasn’t much more than a fishing boat or a workboat to be fair. It may have reduced SOLAS requirements due to its size, and frankly, something of that size will be skippered by somebody that has done a weeks course and an orals exam at the end of it.

When you’re passing by small craft you don’t assume distress. There are distress signals that will be used. If you see one of these you will render assistance unless it is unsafe for you to do so. Also it may be seen as unreasonable for a vessel to render assistance when there is a better equipped vessel in the vicinity.

So you have unsafe, and unreasonable. We also have unable.

I can’t render assistance if I will run out of fuel whilst proceeding to the distressed vessel.

Now we have unsafe, unable, unreasonable.

I’ve just gone over these very quickly as I am about to get 4 hours sleep before another 6 hour shift.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 19:25 - Aug 10 with 3004 viewsBlueBadger

It's funny how many terms and conditions 'all lives matter' appears to have.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 20:04 - Aug 10 with 2947 viewsSwansea_Blue

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 16:23 - Aug 10 by LankHenners

The reaction to scenes such as this always shows the country up really badly.

Fck knows why the BBC thought it was a good idea to commentate on this specific boat like they've found a rare whale off the coast as a piece of light breakfast entertainment.

- Rising cases of coronavirus
- One of the worst records in dealing with the virus
- Damning report showing the government had no interest in investigating Russian interference, followed by the promotion of one of the suspect Russian nationals to our House of Lords
- Bare naked nepotism in the honours list too
- Multiple legal cases being taken out against the government for contracts worth hundreds of £millions to companies completely unsuited, also with claims for a police investigation
- Feckwhit brexiteers in the government wanting to pull out of an agreement they championed 8 months ago.

Etc., etc...

But.....

'Oh look, a dinghy with 15 desperate people in it'
[Post edited 10 Aug 2020 20:05]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 21:20 - Aug 11 with 2739 viewsDanTheMan

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 17:39 - Aug 10 by J2BLUE

Thought you might be interested in this.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 21:23 - Aug 11 with 2725 viewsDarth_Koont

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 21:20 - Aug 11 by DanTheMan

Thought you might be interested in this.

That makes me feel a little ill.

Pronouns: He/Him

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 21:24 - Aug 11 with 2712 viewsSwansea_Blue

I know it's not necessarily representative, but I've yet to see any social media platform or comments sections under stories run by the mainstream media that isn't chocked full of vile xenophobic nonsense.

Surveys of attitudes towards migrants seem to be roughly 50:50 split too.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024