Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Surprised not to see this mentioned 16:12 - Aug 10 with 5554 viewsuefacup81

Accusations of Tory corruption have been growing and growing, so here are the BBC, right on cue, to try and divert our attention/anger back towards 'migrants'.

Seems that they were so keen to get on with the "yeah, but foreigners" angle, they forgot the 1982 UN Convention of the Law at Sea:

“...every State shall require the master of a ship flying its flag, in so far as he can do so without serious damage to the ship, the crew, or the passengers… render assistance to any person found at sea in danger of being lost [and] to proceed with all possible speed to the rescue of persons in distress, if informed of the need of assistance, in so far as such action may reasonably be expected of him.”

Although I suppose bailing out a flimsy over-loaded rib with a plastic bottle is somewhat ambiguous...

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 21:26 - Aug 11 with 1978 viewsJ2BLUE

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 21:20 - Aug 11 by DanTheMan

Thought you might be interested in this.

Not sure what's worse there, the brutal honesty of admitting they don't care or the people who say they don't know.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 21:27 - Aug 11 with 1977 viewsHerbivore

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 16:31 - Aug 10 by J2BLUE

Lots of news sites have been talking about migrant crossings for at least the last week.

As for turning peoples' anger towards migrants, does it really? I don't think so. Maybe a few who shout the loudest but the majority I genuinely don't think they think like that.

People from Syria, a war torn country, risking their lives traveling across the sea with what looks to be virtually no protection from the sun just to come and live as a second class non official citizen with no rights and safeguards what we all take for granted purely by being born at random on this little island.

I would imagine the majority feel for them rather than direct anger at them.

I like you, J2, but this post is horribly naive.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 21:29 - Aug 11 with 1968 viewsJ2BLUE

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 21:27 - Aug 11 by Herbivore

I like you, J2, but this post is horribly naive.

Another compliment, blimey.

Yea you may have a point but I said half +1 and it's nearly there. Although admittedly half is a pretty low bar to fall short of with something like this.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 21:31 - Aug 11 with 1959 viewsHerbivore

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 21:29 - Aug 11 by J2BLUE

Another compliment, blimey.

Yea you may have a point but I said half +1 and it's nearly there. Although admittedly half is a pretty low bar to fall short of with something like this.

I think you're also probably underestimating how the tone of the media coverage helps to shift that percentage ever further away from where you'd like it to be.

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 21:35 - Aug 11 with 1945 viewsm14_blue

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 21:23 - Aug 11 by Darth_Koont

That makes me feel a little ill.

This is what so depresses me about Brexit.

It’s not the obviously batsh1t crazy economic self mutilation. It’s not the totally unnecessary waste and total neglect of all the actual important things a government should be focusing on. It’s not even Nigel Farage’s smug fcuking face.

It’s the realisation that a majority of the people who live in this country are absolute cnts who lack even basic humanity.

The realisation that this country isn’t the place I thought it was and that the country I have always been proud to call home is actually a pathetic, small minded, xenophobic, place where over half the people are an embarrassment and have made us a laughing stock.

We’re no better than America, no better at all.
Surprised not to see this mentioned on 21:39 - Aug 11 with 1924 viewsHerbivore

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 21:35 - Aug 11 by m14_blue

This is what so depresses me about Brexit.

It’s not the obviously batsh1t crazy economic self mutilation. It’s not the totally unnecessary waste and total neglect of all the actual important things a government should be focusing on. It’s not even Nigel Farage’s smug fcuking face.

It’s the realisation that a majority of the people who live in this country are absolute cnts who lack even basic humanity.

The realisation that this country isn’t the place I thought it was and that the country I have always been proud to call home is actually a pathetic, small minded, xenophobic, place where over half the people are an embarrassment and have made us a laughing stock.

We’re no better than America, no better at all.

This pretty much nails it. I despair of England, I really do.

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 07:01 - Aug 12 with 1854 viewsGaryCooper

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 16:20 - Aug 10 by uefacup81

The problem is that this sort of thing is as regular as clockwork.

No doubt these crossings haven't just started happening again since they've made a reappearance in the media over the last five days or so.

It just seems awfully convenient that migrants/refugees only seem to be newsworthy to this sort of extent when there's Government shenanigans that need to be pushed down the running order.

The thing is Farage etc were challenging the media to report the crossings and claiming that the media were ignoring the crossings on direction from the government.
Surprised not to see this mentioned on 07:19 - Aug 12 with 1840 viewsHerbivore

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 07:01 - Aug 12 by GaryCooper

The thing is Farage etc were challenging the media to report the crossings and claiming that the media were ignoring the crossings on direction from the government.

How convenient.

Login to get fewer ads

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 07:32 - Aug 12 with 1828 viewstractordownsouth

I don’t think this is the evidence of the BBC being right wing but it does make me laugh that some people genuinely think they‘re a bunch of elitists who ignore issues like immigration, especially as they gave Farage a season ticket to spout garbage about foreigners on Question Time

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 07:42 - Aug 12 with 1822 viewsGaryCooper

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 07:19 - Aug 12 by Herbivore

How convenient.

Convenient for who champ?
Surprised not to see this mentioned on 07:53 - Aug 12 with 1805 viewsHerbivore

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 07:42 - Aug 12 by GaryCooper

Convenient for who champ?

The government and Farage primarily. Farage gets to pretend he's still anti-establishment despite being anything but and he gets to convince himself he's still relevant. The government gets to move the agenda on to safer ground for them than the economy, their handling of Covid, dishing out huge contracts to their mates. The Tories and Farage both come out of this winning. Very convenient.

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 08:16 - Aug 12 with 1789 viewsBeckets

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 20:04 - Aug 10 by Swansea_Blue

- Rising cases of coronavirus
- One of the worst records in dealing with the virus
- Damning report showing the government had no interest in investigating Russian interference, followed by the promotion of one of the suspect Russian nationals to our House of Lords
- Bare naked nepotism in the honours list too
- Multiple legal cases being taken out against the government for contracts worth hundreds of £millions to companies completely unsuited, also with claims for a police investigation
- Feckwhit brexiteers in the government wanting to pull out of an agreement they championed 8 months ago.

Etc., etc...

But.....

'Oh look, a dinghy with 15 desperate people in it'
[Post edited 10 Aug 2020 20:05]

Looks like it’s replaced “but Corbyn”....
Surprised not to see this mentioned on 08:21 - Aug 12 with 1785 viewsDanTheMan

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 21:26 - Aug 11 by J2BLUE

Not sure what's worse there, the brutal honesty of admitting they don't care or the people who say they don't know.

Honestly just makes me sad.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 08:27 - Aug 12 with 1770 viewsitfcjoe

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 21:23 - Aug 11 by Darth_Koont

That makes me feel a little ill.

Everything is just one big culture war, and the bad guys are winning.

The Brexit vote, and the way the campaign was run has divided this country irreparably. Most elections try and bring people together, Brexit and Trump showed that dividing them can be successful and that is all we do here.

Hopefully Trump going will be the first domino to fall

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 08:39 - Aug 12 with 1756 viewsGaryCooper

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 07:53 - Aug 12 by Herbivore

The government and Farage primarily. Farage gets to pretend he's still anti-establishment despite being anything but and he gets to convince himself he's still relevant. The government gets to move the agenda on to safer ground for them than the economy, their handling of Covid, dishing out huge contracts to their mates. The Tories and Farage both come out of this winning. Very convenient.

Not disagreeing with you on that, should it not be reported though? Or is it just the manner of the reporting, that is my concern.
Surprised not to see this mentioned on 08:49 - Aug 12 with 1733 viewsHerbivore

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 08:39 - Aug 12 by GaryCooper

Not disagreeing with you on that, should it not be reported though? Or is it just the manner of the reporting, that is my concern.

The manner and tone of the reporting is really bad. I'm not sure it warrants the level and profile of coverage it is receiving either, not with everything else that's going on currently. There have always been migrants crossing the channel by boat, why such a big news story now all of a sudden? This happens periodically and usually seems to come at a time that is quite convenient for certain individuals and groups.

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 09:04 - Aug 12 with 1712 viewsGlasgowBlue

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 07:53 - Aug 12 by Herbivore

All we are getting from the government is hostile rhetoric which plays to the crowd, without putting forward any kind of a solution.

One solution to the boat crossings would be to create more safe and legal routes for refugees. We don’t hear anything about the government’s resettlement programme or the expansion of family reunion, which Cameron at least made some positive moves towards.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 09:31 - Aug 12 with 1673 viewsLibero

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 08:27 - Aug 12 by itfcjoe

Everything is just one big culture war, and the bad guys are winning.

The Brexit vote, and the way the campaign was run has divided this country irreparably. Most elections try and bring people together, Brexit and Trump showed that dividing them can be successful and that is all we do here.

Hopefully Trump going will be the first domino to fall

This, with bells on.
Surprised not to see this mentioned on 11:19 - Aug 12 with 1631 viewsvilanovablue

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 17:35 - Aug 10 by Darth_Koont

I'd add that the other people we need to stand against are those who most talk about immigration.

All lives matter
Was their brag and boast
Until the lives arrived
On the Kent coast...
Surprised not to see this mentioned on 11:40 - Aug 12 with 1605 viewstractordownsouth

Surprised not to see this mentioned on 09:04 - Aug 12 by GlasgowBlue

All we are getting from the government is hostile rhetoric which plays to the crowd, without putting forward any kind of a solution.

One solution to the boat crossings would be to create more safe and legal routes for refugees. We don’t hear anything about the government’s resettlement programme or the expansion of family reunion, which Cameron at least made some positive moves towards.

As the bloke said in that RVAT video I posted last night, populism is no more than a perrenial search for a villain to slay without the faintest idea of what idea to do with the body.

Which is why government ministers are moaning about foreigners and having a twitter fight with Ben and Jerry's to distract from somehow managing to get one of the worst death rates and recessions in the world. Shameful.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024