Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This doesn't make good reading 16:17 - Oct 30 with 5122 viewsStokieBlue

SAGE are saying that we are going to surpass the "worst case scenario" they outlined at the start of October with regards to deaths and that it's probably already too late for a short "circuit breaker" to stop that.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-death-toll-uk-sage-second-

Any lockdown implemented now will have to be longer and stricter than the previously recommended circuit breaker.

At the same moment we have the foreigner secretary saying there won't be another national lockdown and football club owners writing letters in an attempt to get fans back into grounds.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

This doesn't make good reading on 16:18 - Oct 30 with 3156 viewsNthsuffolkblue

It's a mess and the conspiracy theorist and fact-deniers are not helping.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

This doesn't make good reading on 16:21 - Oct 30 with 3131 viewsfooters

I'm not sure how long it's been in vogue with British politicians, but it generally seems when we have an Option A and an Option B that we end up creating C instead.

The Tier system isn't proving effective whatsoever, there may now be Tier 4, people are confused by what they can and can't do due to confused messaging. It's a huge mess.

Either come out in support of proper lockdowns or a series of circuit breakers, or just admit that you're happy enough to follow herd immunity and are willing to throw the vulnerable and key workers under the bus for the sake of the economy.

This 'third way' is proving, as ever, to be boll0cks.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

This doesn't make good reading on 16:28 - Oct 30 with 3096 viewsbluelagos

You know your stuff Stokie. A mate (normally sane) seems to be going down the mentalist route - claiming there is no scientific proof that lockdowns reduce deaths.

You got any links to anything that shows they do?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

This doesn't make good reading on 16:28 - Oct 30 with 3089 viewsStokieBlue

This doesn't make good reading on 16:21 - Oct 30 by footers

I'm not sure how long it's been in vogue with British politicians, but it generally seems when we have an Option A and an Option B that we end up creating C instead.

The Tier system isn't proving effective whatsoever, there may now be Tier 4, people are confused by what they can and can't do due to confused messaging. It's a huge mess.

Either come out in support of proper lockdowns or a series of circuit breakers, or just admit that you're happy enough to follow herd immunity and are willing to throw the vulnerable and key workers under the bus for the sake of the economy.

Herd immunity without a vaccine probably isn't a goer anyway:

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/207333/coronavirus-antibody-prevalence-falling-e

SB

This doesn't make good reading on 16:33 - Oct 30 with 3055 viewsBloomBlue

This doesn't make good reading on 16:28 - Oct 30 by StokieBlue

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/207333/coronavirus-antibody-prevalence-falling-e

SB

Although on the opposite side if they cannot find a vaccine which works, isn't herd immunity the only option?
This doesn't make good reading on 16:34 - Oct 30 with 3058 viewsbluelagos

SB

Half followed that news - seems to be saying that even when people have had the virus, they are not permanently immune.

Which would suggest a vaccine may be of limited use - at best we would need top ups?

Throw in the news of the different CV strain from Spain - suggesting mutations - this surely also undermines the possible effectiveness of vaccines?

So all in - the golden bullet of the vaccine is looking less and less likely?

This doesn't make good reading on 16:40 - Oct 30 with 3031 viewsitfcjoe

This doesn't make good reading on 16:21 - Oct 30 by footers

I was in Tier 2 Essex yesterday, and went for lunch at Lakeside in one of the restaurants there - bearing in mind this is somewhere with rules against household mixing nearly every table in there was breaking the rules, (or at least appeared to be, some may have had strange circumstances, or been on 'business lunches')

It wasn't any particular demographic - of top of my head it was
- 4 60 year old women having lunch
- Mum with young kids, with 2 older ladies
- 2 sets of Asian families (4 adults and 4 kids)
- 6 18-21 year old lads
- 5 mid 20s girls

And this was in just one of the 10 or so restaurants there.

I was at a pub in Brentwood this morning, they said round the corner from them a pub was doing a bottomless Prosecco deal and was raided by police - basically told unless you can prove you are not household mixing then you either go home now or get a fine, everyone went home. A pub/club round the corner from them got a big fine for just not caring re rules.

I was amazed by how brazen it was at Lakeside in the restaurants - it was just so obvious as detailed above.

It's basically just social distancing where you can and masks (which 99% of people were complying with) - people have given up on the proper rules

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

This doesn't make good reading on 16:43 - Oct 30 with 3012 viewsJ2BLUE

SB

Those who had Sars still have the T cells 17 years on.

I don't think we should be ruling it out based on that.

Just to be clear i'm not suggesting we remove all restrictions and let it play out.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

This doesn't make good reading on 16:43 - Oct 30 with 3016 viewsStokieBlue

This doesn't make good reading on 16:34 - Oct 30 by bluelagos

Half followed that news - seems to be saying that even when people have had the virus, they are not permanently immune.

Which would suggest a vaccine may be of limited use - at best we would need top ups?

Throw in the news of the different CV strain from Spain - suggesting mutations - this surely also undermines the possible effectiveness of vaccines?

So all in - the golden bullet of the vaccine is looking less and less likely?

A few things there:

"Which would suggest a vaccine may be of limited use - at best we would need top ups?"

I think it's pretty certain that people will need a booster either yearly or two times a year, at least with the first vaccines developed. This is similar to other vaccines for some other diseases though but would be logistically challenging.

"Throw in the news of the different CV strain from Spain - suggesting mutations - this surely also undermines the possible effectiveness of vaccines?"

These variant has 6 mutations, none of which affect the vaccine in any way that the scientists can see and thus it shouldn't make any difference to the vaccine. Of course that might not always be the case, like with flu, where one vaccine doesn't cover all strains.

"So all in - the golden bullet of the vaccine is looking less and less likely?"

I wouldn't say that. Vaccines are usually designed to have a different/more targeted/stronger response than just having the virus so it's possible/likely that vaccine based herd immunity should be possible whilst non-vaccine based herd immunity might not be possible.

SB

This doesn't make good reading on 16:47 - Oct 30 with 2983 viewsbluelagos

This doesn't make good reading on 16:43 - Oct 30 by StokieBlue

A few things there:

"Which would suggest a vaccine may be of limited use - at best we would need top ups?"

I think it's pretty certain that people will need a booster either yearly or two times a year, at least with the first vaccines developed. This is similar to other vaccines for some other diseases though but would be logistically challenging.

"Throw in the news of the different CV strain from Spain - suggesting mutations - this surely also undermines the possible effectiveness of vaccines?"

These variant has 6 mutations, none of which affect the vaccine in any way that the scientists can see and thus it shouldn't make any difference to the vaccine. Of course that might not always be the case, like with flu, where one vaccine doesn't cover all strains.

"So all in - the golden bullet of the vaccine is looking less and less likely?"

I wouldn't say that. Vaccines are usually designed to have a different/more targeted/stronger response than just having the virus so it's possible/likely that vaccine based herd immunity should be possible whilst non-vaccine based herd immunity might not be possible.

SB

Cheers.

This doesn't make good reading on 16:54 - Oct 30 with 2948 viewsElderGrizzly

Indeed. Deaths are ‘locked in’ now for the next 3 to 4 weeks at this level no matter what changes we make now
This doesn't make good reading on 17:00 - Oct 30 with 2920 viewsStokieBlue

This doesn't make good reading on 16:54 - Oct 30 by ElderGrizzly

Indeed. Deaths are ‘locked in’ now for the next 3 to 4 weeks at this level no matter what changes we make now

Yep. 274 more deaths today which is well above their "worst case estimates" made at the start of October.

SB

This doesn't make good reading on 17:03 - Oct 30 with 2909 viewsbluefunk

This doesn't make good reading on 16:40 - Oct 30 by itfcjoe

I was in Tier 2 Essex yesterday, and went for lunch at Lakeside in one of the restaurants there - bearing in mind this is somewhere with rules against household mixing nearly every table in there was breaking the rules, (or at least appeared to be, some may have had strange circumstances, or been on 'business lunches')

- 6 18-21 year old lads
- 5 mid 20s girls

I was at a pub in Brentwood this morning, they said round the corner from them a pub was doing a bottomless Prosecco deal and was raided by police - basically told unless you can prove you are not household mixing then you either go home now or get a fine, everyone went home. A pub/club round the corner from them got a big fine for just not caring re rules.

I was amazed by how brazen it was at Lakeside in the restaurants - it was just so obvious as detailed above.

It's basically just social distancing where you can and masks (which 99% of people were complying with) - people have given up on the proper rules

Brentwood is tier 2 but Lakeside, being in the Thurrock authority (rather than Essex) is still Tier 1, so the same rules as for Suffolk in Lakeside -
This doesn't make good reading on 17:05 - Oct 30 with 2900 viewsgtsb1966

This doesn't make good reading on 17:00 - Oct 30 by StokieBlue

Yep. 274 more deaths today which is well above their "worst case estimates" made at the start of October.

SB

You mean people who have died within the last 28 days of testing positive of covid. How many have actually died BECAUSE of covid.
This doesn't make good reading on 17:06 - Oct 30 with 2877 viewsitfcjoe

This doesn't make good reading on 17:03 - Oct 30 by bluefunk

Brentwood is tier 2 but Lakeside, being in the Thurrock authority (rather than Essex) is still Tier 1, so the same rules as for Suffolk in Lakeside -

Thanks for that info, I’ll stop slandering it now!
[Post edited 30 Oct 2020 17:07]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

This doesn't make good reading on 17:07 - Oct 30 with 2882 viewsdavblue

Have all those morons who were calling for Vallance and Whitty to be sacked earlier on this month who knew better been made aware?

So many tools in this country.
This doesn't make good reading on 17:09 - Oct 30 with 2866 viewsFrimleyBlue

This doesn't make good reading on 17:05 - Oct 30 by gtsb1966

You mean people who have died within the last 28 days of testing positive of covid. How many have actually died BECAUSE of covid.

Here we go. Prime example of a covididiot.

It's people like yourself that has resulted in the government holding back on another lockdown.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

This doesn't make good reading on 17:10 - Oct 30 with 2860 viewsBlueBadger

This doesn't make good reading on 17:05 - Oct 30 by gtsb1966

Most likely the overwhelming majority, either directly or indirectly.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2020 21:42]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

This doesn't make good reading on 17:15 - Oct 30 with 2815 viewsBlueStreak

This doesn't make good reading on 17:10 - Oct 30 by BlueBadger

Most likely the overwhelming majority, either directly or indirectly.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2020 21:42]

Genuine question here, how are flu deaths numbers looking so far this year? Are they trending the same as orevious years or are they lower? I have no idea ofntue answer so thought I would ask. Ta.
This doesn't make good reading on 17:22 - Oct 30 with 2770 viewsBlueBadger

This doesn't make good reading on 16:33 - Oct 30 by BloomBlue

Although on the opposite side if they cannot find a vaccine which works, isn't herd immunity the only option?

Depends how cool you are with thousands, nay millions dying potentially avoidable deaths.

The key to slowing spread right now is effectively testing, tracing and isolating carriers.
Something we've spunked £12bn on and are failing at.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

This doesn't make good reading on 17:25 - Oct 30 with 2758 viewsPinewoodblue

This doesn't make good reading on 17:15 - Oct 30 by BlueStreak

Genuine question here, how are flu deaths numbers looking so far this year? Are they trending the same as orevious years or are they lower? I have no idea ofntue answer so thought I would ask. Ta.

Think the last two flu seasons deaths from flu have been below the average. Probably a contributing factor for Covid hoovering so many up in the spring.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

This doesn't make good reading on 17:29 - Oct 30 with 2732 viewsStokieBlue

This doesn't make good reading on 17:22 - Oct 30 by BlueBadger

Depends how cool you are with thousands, nay millions dying potentially avoidable deaths.

The key to slowing spread right now is effectively testing, tracing and isolating carriers.

Whilst you are certainly right about our feeble efforts to get track and trace working it seems that once cases start to rise quickly (not even exponentially) that it becomes problematic to track them all.

The Germans said yesterday that they could no longer track and trace effectively because the number of cases was too high.

Still no excuses for us not to have a working system though.

SB

This doesn't make good reading on 17:32 - Oct 30 with 2711 viewseireblue

This doesn't make good reading on 17:22 - Oct 30 by BlueBadger

You say that like upgrading a few instances of MS Excel isn’t a huge win in the grand scheme of things.
This doesn't make good reading on 17:32 - Oct 30 with 2708 viewsBlueStreak

This doesn't make good reading on 17:25 - Oct 30 by Pinewoodblue

Think the last two flu seasons deaths from flu have been below the average. Probably a contributing factor for Covid hoovering so many up in the spring.

I am by no means an expert hence why I would rather get my info from them however how many people normally die from flu each each year? I heard it was about 50k but unsure how accurate that is so don't want to speculate around it all. My very uneducated and basixlc thought on this if is it is usually around 50k, however these deaths are significantly down this year due to deaths being attributed to covid, are we a million miles away from where we would 'usually' be on deaths during the year?
This doesn't make good reading on 17:32 - Oct 30 with 2705 viewsPinewoodblue

This doesn't make good reading on 16:40 - Oct 30 by itfcjoe

- 6 18-21 year old lads
- 5 mid 20s girls

Warner Leisure Hotels have a property in Nottinghamshire there guidance is they are still open you can come if you want. When someone pointed out to them anyone living in a tier 3 area shouldn't travel unless essential, and you shouldn't stay over night wass that the guidance was to individuals, not businesses, they were not checking addresses they were leaving people to make informed decisions they were not doing anything unlawful.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2020 17:36]

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024