Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker 09:33 - Feb 15 with 6598 viewsStokieBlue

Obviously there is the CRG who seem to be getting a lot of interview time on the BBC who are pushing for things to be opened up whilst the government pushes back and says it won't commit to dates until it sees actual evidence and numbers.

On top of that the hospitality sector seems to be making a concerted push to get opened up quicker. The reasons are of course clear and in many cases perfectly reasonable but there is an awful lot of pressure being applied:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56068252

Even calls to run "Eat out to help out" again:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56060962

The government seem to be sticking firm to the opening of schools first, see how that goes and then look to open up other things from Easter (outside, although Martin is pushing for them to be open inside as well).

I think the debate is going to get quite messy and heated over the next 6 weeks or so given both positions have some valid points.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 09:41 - Feb 15 with 2223 viewsEdwardStone

I think I read somewhere that Rishi's "Eat Out..." cost a shade under a billion sobs and significantly helped to push the infection rates right up

Not exactly helpful in either regard

I wonder if we shall make the same mistakes again??
"OPEN THE PARK BENCHES!" (n/t) on 09:49 - Feb 15 with 2193 viewsBloots

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 09:53 - Feb 15 with 2187 viewsfooters

It's good to see that after a decade of bowing to the more swivel-eyed of their backbenchers that the government finally seems to have grown a backbone.
[Post edited 15 Feb 2021 17:51]

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 09:58 - Feb 15 with 2169 viewsSwansea_Blue

Made me laugh anyway

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 10:00 - Feb 15 with 2160 viewshype313

Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 09:41 - Feb 15 by EdwardStone

I think I read somewhere that Rishi's "Eat Out..." cost a shade under a billion sobs and significantly helped to push the infection rates right up

Not exactly helpful in either regard

I wonder if we shall make the same mistakes again??

Not ideal last year, but the vaccine has changed the game on that front, if the current rates continue to fall as they are, then by Easter we should be looking pretty rosy.

If we don't look at things like eat out to help out and opening things up then you have to question the validity of this whole vaccination rollout.

Personally, I think we should tread carefully, see what happens when the schools re-open give it a few weeks, if things look good and we continue to see huge vaccination numbers by the end of March then we can look at opening things up step by step.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 10:15 - Feb 15 with 2101 viewsSwansea_Blue

Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 10:00 - Feb 15 by hype313

Not ideal last year, but the vaccine has changed the game on that front, if the current rates continue to fall as they are, then by Easter we should be looking pretty rosy.

If we don't look at things like eat out to help out and opening things up then you have to question the validity of this whole vaccination rollout.

Personally, I think we should tread carefully, see what happens when the schools re-open give it a few weeks, if things look good and we continue to see huge vaccination numbers by the end of March then we can look at opening things up step by step.

Probably a sensible move. Schools were a major driver here in Wales when the UK variant took hold. I think we were about 3 weeks ahead of England sosaw the full effect of not closing them immediately. If schools can open without causing a new spike in transmissions, then that would certainly give a lot of confidence to relax things.

Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 10:18 - Feb 15 with 2087 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 10:15 - Feb 15 by Swansea_Blue

Probably a sensible move. Schools were a major driver here in Wales when the UK variant took hold. I think we were about 3 weeks ahead of England sosaw the full effect of not closing them immediately. If schools can open without causing a new spike in transmissions, then that would certainly give a lot of confidence to relax things.

Would be nice to get school staff vaccinated before getting them back.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 10:45 - Feb 15 with 2005 viewsdavblue

Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 10:00 - Feb 15 by hype313

It has to be open slowly, otherwise we will potentially be back in a lockdown again.

I appreciate it's very easy for me to say this as i don't own a business but surely taking things slower rather than opening up a lot of stuff again/mixing and putting in us in another potentially 5 or 6 week lockdown would be worse for people, businesses/ jobs.

We've been in Lockdown for all but 3 weeks of the last 3 months so it's been pretty awful for everyone.
Login to get fewer ads

Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 10:51 - Feb 15 with 1990 viewsSwansea_Blue

Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 10:45 - Feb 15 by davblue

It has to be open slowly, otherwise we will potentially be back in a lockdown again.

I appreciate it's very easy for me to say this as i don't own a business but surely taking things slower rather than opening up a lot of stuff again/mixing and putting in us in another potentially 5 or 6 week lockdown would be worse for people, businesses/ jobs.

We've been in Lockdown for all but 3 weeks of the last 3 months so it's been pretty awful for everyone.

Ideally we want this to be the last one, don't we? I'm not sure I've enough emotional energy left to come out of lockdown, have it all ballsed up again and then spend the whole of spring & early summer back in lockdown.

Simple pleasures, but I'm looking forward to meeting up with a few friends just so the kids can play together, or for a picnic in the sun. Losing the opportunity to make the most of the better weather would finish me off.

Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 10:51 - Feb 15 with 1990 viewsfactual_blue

Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 09:53 - Feb 15 by footers

It's good to see that after a decade of bowing to the more swivel-eyed of their backbenchers that the government finally seems to have grown a backbone.
[Post edited 15 Feb 2021 17:51]

'..seems to have grown a majority so that doesn't need to suck up to them.'

There you are.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 10:54 - Feb 15 with 1972 viewsfooters

Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 10:51 - Feb 15 by Swansea_Blue

Ideally we want this to be the last one, don't we? I'm not sure I've enough emotional energy left to come out of lockdown, have it all ballsed up again and then spend the whole of spring & early summer back in lockdown.

Simple pleasures, but I'm looking forward to meeting up with a few friends just so the kids can play together, or for a picnic in the sun. Losing the opportunity to make the most of the better weather would finish me off.

It's almost like the CRG have learnt nothing from last time. But agreed, we're at a crucial point now and just need to wait it out patiently so that we can come out of lockdown fully once and for all.

There's a barmaid who hasn't seen my face in over a year at this point and I'm sure she's been worried about me.

Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 10:57 - Feb 15 with 1952 viewsmonytowbray

I’m curious to see how the vaccine roll out effects spikes and risk of course. In theory with X amount vaccinated we could actually give the tainted “Herd Immunity” approach a go (as that’s the very definition of it).

Alas we decided to try it before a vaccine with the NHS in a dangerous position and here we are.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 10:59 - Feb 15 with 1937 viewseastangliaisblue

Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 10:18 - Feb 15 by Nthsuffolkblue

Would be nice to get school staff vaccinated before getting them back.

Agree with this. I also think we should stay as we are until all over 50s are vaccinated. As much as I want my kids back at school, and being able to go for a pint, I think if we run before we can walk again, we'll find ourselves in another lockdown.
Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 11:00 - Feb 15 with 1931 viewsmonytowbray

Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 10:15 - Feb 15 by Swansea_Blue

Schools and unis opening seem to be the biggest spike drivers. The “Oral Sex Meal Deal” appeared to have little impact from what data I’ve looked at.

Then again my main gripe these days is imagine how much easier this would have been for everyone involved if we had Universal Basic Income in place before COVID hit. Yet to hear any reasonable argument as to why we don’t just do it.

TWTD never forgets…

Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 11:02 - Feb 15 with 1916 viewsmonytowbray

Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 10:59 - Feb 15 by eastangliaisblue

Agree with this. I also think we should stay as we are until all over 50s are vaccinated. As much as I want my kids back at school, and being able to go for a pint, I think if we run before we can walk again, we'll find ourselves in another lockdown.

I’d just like to go to a gig. I miss gigs.

TWTD never forgets…

Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 11:03 - Feb 15 with 1913 viewsStokieBlue

Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 11:00 - Feb 15 by monytowbray

Schools and unis opening seem to be the biggest spike drivers. The “Oral Sex Meal Deal” appeared to have little impact from what data I’ve looked at.

Then again my main gripe these days is imagine how much easier this would have been for everyone involved if we had Universal Basic Income in place before COVID hit. Yet to hear any reasonable argument as to why we don’t just do it.

Whilst I support UBI, when it's implemented I can't see it being anywhere near the level that furlough was with regards to the bottom line income so whilst it would have helped a lot of people still would have been pretty short.

Do you have any studies showing the cost of UBI for each level of payment (ie. cost for 500 per month, cost for 1000 per month, cost for 1500 per month etc)?

It will happen, I suspect it will still be a while though.

SB

Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 11:04 - Feb 15 with 1906 viewsSwansea_Blue

Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 10:54 - Feb 15 by footers

It's almost like the CRG have learnt nothing from last time. But agreed, we're at a crucial point now and just need to wait it out patiently so that we can come out of lockdown fully once and for all.

There's a barmaid who hasn't seen my face in over a year at this point and I'm sure she's been worried about me.

"Barmaid"? Next you'll be telling me there's a place you can go to get a freshly pulled pint, in a real glass. Fantasy talking that is.

Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 11:07 - Feb 15 with 1883 viewseastangliaisblue

Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 11:02 - Feb 15 by monytowbray

I’d just like to go to a gig. I miss gigs.

There is so much I miss. Even the simple things like having friends round for a few drinks. Life couldn't be more tedious at the moment, could it?
Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 11:10 - Feb 15 with 1872 viewshatch

Can someone calm my fears that all the good vaccine work and slow return to normality won't be wiped out by the likes of the SA variant spreading?

I can't get my hopes up as I have no faith we have the ability to contain these variants that cannot be vaccinated against (allegedly - I appreciate there are still studies). All it takes is one of these variants to take hold and even with 30-40% effectiveness of a vaccine that will still take us back 50 steps despite the vaccine steps forward?
Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 11:11 - Feb 15 with 1855 viewsmonytowbray

Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 11:03 - Feb 15 by StokieBlue

Whilst I support UBI, when it's implemented I can't see it being anywhere near the level that furlough was with regards to the bottom line income so whilst it would have helped a lot of people still would have been pretty short.

Do you have any studies showing the cost of UBI for each level of payment (ie. cost for 500 per month, cost for 1000 per month, cost for 1500 per month etc)?

It will happen, I suspect it will still be a while though.

SB

It still could have saved us a lot as a nation debt wise though had it been a bit of Furlough on top of a UBI. Let’s assume that UBI was a grand a month, that’s 100 a week after bills for me (roughly averaged over 15 years) and I’d expect those with a lifestyle that exceeds that threshold to have some level of money/assets to stay afloat, even I had that and I’m barely on any Gravy Train (I could be but I choose to work less and charge what I’m worth, a luxury and more privilege of course. Unless of course they personally function on credit/debt that that’s a whole new debate on giving disaster capitalism a lifeline 30-40 years ago.

For me UBI is about freeing people from the grind and the fear.

TWTD never forgets…

Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 11:12 - Feb 15 with 1855 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 11:00 - Feb 15 by monytowbray

The argument against Universal Basic Income is that people who do not earn their way would have sufficient money to live. How disgraceful!

Rather ironic when it is driven by people who have inherited large sums and "earn" so much from being connected to the right people in Government who will pay Government money to their mates.

However, it plays to the philosophy of "Benefits Street". How dare I have to work for a living (although UBI would mean you wouldn't) when they can live without having to. (Although rarely do people think through to the fact that concludes with wanting the children of the "lazy" to starve to death.)

PS I am with you on thinking UBI is a good idea.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 11:14 - Feb 15 with 1840 viewsfooters

Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 11:04 - Feb 15 by Swansea_Blue

"Barmaid"? Next you'll be telling me there's a place you can go to get a freshly pulled pint, in a real glass. Fantasy talking that is.

She'll be a proper old battleaxe by the time I see her again, I fear.

But yes, Swanners! They're called 'pubs' apparently. Can't wait for the work gang's resumption of the Friday lunchtime pints and moaning sessions soon!

Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 11:15 - Feb 15 with 1838 viewsStokieBlue

Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 11:10 - Feb 15 by hatch

Can someone calm my fears that all the good vaccine work and slow return to normality won't be wiped out by the likes of the SA variant spreading?

I can't get my hopes up as I have no faith we have the ability to contain these variants that cannot be vaccinated against (allegedly - I appreciate there are still studies). All it takes is one of these variants to take hold and even with 30-40% effectiveness of a vaccine that will still take us back 50 steps despite the vaccine steps forward?

It's a total unknown so I would say it's not something you should worry too much about.

"I can't get my hopes up as I have no faith we have the ability to contain these variants that cannot be vaccinated against (allegedly - I appreciate there are still studies). All it takes is one of these variants to take hold and even with 30-40% effectiveness of a vaccine that will still take us back 50 steps despite the vaccine steps forward?"

This isn't really correct. Whilst the efficacy will be reduced what is important is the protection against severe C19 and hospitalisation. As long as they provide protection for severe C19 then people can get by suffering mild and moderate C19 and being in bed for a few days. All that is needed is enough protection to stop severe covid and hospitalisations until the tweaked vaccines are available which would then improve the efficacy again.

SB

Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 11:16 - Feb 15 with 1828 viewsmonytowbray

Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 11:07 - Feb 15 by eastangliaisblue

There is so much I miss. Even the simple things like having friends round for a few drinks. Life couldn't be more tedious at the moment, could it?

I deffo miss house socials, haven’t been much of a “go out OUT” person for years. Would much rather invite mates over on a BOYB deal (I don’t drink) and I live by the motto “my weed is your weed” for guests!

No queues at bars, no stupid drink prices, no other lairy/annoying/letchy folk around, pick your own tunes. Why people go out baffles me.
[Post edited 15 Feb 2021 11:20]

TWTD never forgets…

Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 11:19 - Feb 15 with 1816 viewsmonytowbray

Pressure growing on the government to reopen quicker on 11:12 - Feb 15 by Nthsuffolkblue

The argument against Universal Basic Income is that people who do not earn their way would have sufficient money to live. How disgraceful!

Rather ironic when it is driven by people who have inherited large sums and "earn" so much from being connected to the right people in Government who will pay Government money to their mates.

However, it plays to the philosophy of "Benefits Street". How dare I have to work for a living (although UBI would mean you wouldn't) when they can live without having to. (Although rarely do people think through to the fact that concludes with wanting the children of the "lazy" to starve to death.)

PS I am with you on thinking UBI is a good idea.

Everything you say I agree with. Capitalism has completely ruined our ability to have empathy and also clouded our judgement on how people usually get rich (inheritance or b*stardry).

We spend a lot on bureaucracy to deny people access to a financial safety net when we could just use all that money to give everyone a financial safety net.

It’s funny because let’s say UBI did roll out, I bet all those AnCaps and benefit shamers will be the first to give the money back or donate it to a rich person who had done more to “earn” it.

TWTD never forgets…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024