Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This whole ‘laying down behind the wall’ thing 23:34 - Mar 20 with 3188 viewsDeano69

Not really football is it.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

This whole ‘laying down behind the wall’ thing on 23:41 - Mar 20 with 2937 viewsArnoldMoorhen

No, and if the ball hits their arm or hand a penalty should be given as it is not a "natural position" for the arm to be in on a football pitch.
This whole ‘laying down behind the wall’ thing on 23:41 - Mar 20 with 2932 viewsJ2BLUE

It's become a bit 'man on the post' hasn't it where if you don't do it now and concede all the pundits pile on.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

This whole ‘laying down behind the wall’ thing on 00:17 - Mar 21 with 2879 viewsEpiphone

It'll be banned in due course.
This whole ‘laying down behind the wall’ thing on 00:35 - Mar 21 with 2852 viewsSuperCoops

I can't stand the ultra short goal kicks where you have 2 defenders nearly inside the 6 yard box to receive a short pass from the keeper. It's just asking for trouble right in front of your own goal.
This whole ‘laying down behind the wall’ thing on 07:27 - Mar 21 with 2680 viewsPlums

I can’t understand why attacking teams don’t spread themselves along the width of the box in these situations. The wall would have to break up to mark them, the player with the free kick then has options. Shoot or pass. It’s all so formulaic.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

This whole ‘laying down behind the wall’ thing on 08:37 - Mar 21 with 2569 viewsDeano69

This whole ‘laying down behind the wall’ thing on 07:27 - Mar 21 by Plums

I can’t understand why attacking teams don’t spread themselves along the width of the box in these situations. The wall would have to break up to mark them, the player with the free kick then has options. Shoot or pass. It’s all so formulaic.

I have always wondered whether it’s worth trying not having a wall for free kicks not on the edge of the box. The keeper would have much better visibility, it does give the free kick taker something to swerve round and I would have though most keepers could save a very high percentage of direct shots from 30 yards or so.

Also allows defenders to mark/defend and have one or two players on the halfway line in case of a counter.

This whole ‘laying down behind the wall’ thing on 08:38 - Mar 21 with 2562 viewsDeano69

This whole ‘laying down behind the wall’ thing on 23:41 - Mar 20 by ArnoldMoorhen

No, and if the ball hits their arm or hand a penalty should be given as it is not a "natural position" for the arm to be in on a football pitch.

And if they ‘trip’ a player over because they are on the floor I also think it should be a penalty.

This whole ‘laying down behind the wall’ thing on 08:45 - Mar 21 with 2518 viewsWD19

Deliberately facing the wrong way should be banned on the grounds of the head injury it could lead to.
Login to get fewer ads

This whole ‘laying down behind the wall’ thing on 08:49 - Mar 21 with 2513 viewsMullet

Thought it made no difference to our free kick either. Judge hit a good one.

A shame later in the game we seemed to have no belief in attacking crosses and fee kicks. Edwards, Andre and Dobra all put stuff in that just petered out at the back post as a CB drifted it back over or behind the goal.

We need to work on that desperately.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

This whole ‘laying down behind the wall’ thing on 08:58 - Mar 21 with 2481 viewstownblue

This whole ‘laying down behind the wall’ thing on 08:49 - Mar 21 by Mullet

Thought it made no difference to our free kick either. Judge hit a good one.

A shame later in the game we seemed to have no belief in attacking crosses and fee kicks. Edwards, Andre and Dobra all put stuff in that just petered out at the back post as a CB drifted it back over or behind the goal.

We need to work on that desperately.

We seem to be obsessed with that move where we only cross to the back post and hope for a header back across goal for someone to knock in. Other than a couple of goals from Wilson it hasn't been that successful. We should at least mix it up and try hitting it into a dangerous areas occasionally.
This whole ‘laying down behind the wall’ thing on 09:57 - Mar 21 with 2380 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Seems daft to me. How often do free kick takers hit the ball under the wall anyway, let alone score from it?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

This whole ‘laying down behind the wall’ thing on 10:08 - Mar 21 with 2343 viewsRadlett_blue

This whole ‘laying down behind the wall’ thing on 08:37 - Mar 21 by Deano69

I have always wondered whether it’s worth trying not having a wall for free kicks not on the edge of the box. The keeper would have much better visibility, it does give the free kick taker something to swerve round and I would have though most keepers could save a very high percentage of direct shots from 30 yards or so.

Also allows defenders to mark/defend and have one or two players on the halfway line in case of a counter.

I've always been surprised by keepers insisting on a wall once the free kick is 25 yards away or more. Unless there's a Roberto Carlos in the opposition, a pro keeper should save almost any shot from that distance with a clear view. Didn't Keane put himself in goal & back himself to stop any shot from a Town player from that distance?
I was also intrigued when town won a free kick next to the corner flag yesterday. Pompey ritually sent 2 players to form a "wall". If that made sense, why not have a wall to defend a corner? Yes, I know the players were also around to stop a quick free kick and a one-two.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

This whole ‘laying down behind the wall’ thing on 10:11 - Mar 21 with 2332 viewsgiant_stow

What on earth is this? Haven't seen much footy lately - are people literally lying down?! I'm being an idiot innit.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

This whole ‘laying down behind the wall’ thing on 10:16 - Mar 21 with 2320 viewsMullet

This whole ‘laying down behind the wall’ thing on 10:08 - Mar 21 by Radlett_blue

I've always been surprised by keepers insisting on a wall once the free kick is 25 yards away or more. Unless there's a Roberto Carlos in the opposition, a pro keeper should save almost any shot from that distance with a clear view. Didn't Keane put himself in goal & back himself to stop any shot from a Town player from that distance?
I was also intrigued when town won a free kick next to the corner flag yesterday. Pompey ritually sent 2 players to form a "wall". If that made sense, why not have a wall to defend a corner? Yes, I know the players were also around to stop a quick free kick and a one-two.

It’s to massively cut down their options and it makes some sense. Obscuring their view and making them shoot leads to turnover of possession etc. I still think leaving two quick players up for a corner is something worth coming back.

Now teams don’t expect it too

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

This whole ‘laying down behind the wall’ thing on 10:54 - Mar 21 with 2290 viewsRomeo4

Have Pompey been doing this all season or is it a Cowley thing?
This whole ‘laying down behind the wall’ thing on 11:06 - Mar 21 with 2281 viewsPhilTWTD

This whole ‘laying down behind the wall’ thing on 10:54 - Mar 21 by Romeo4

Have Pompey been doing this all season or is it a Cowley thing?

Has been something which has crept in a fair bit this season in the Premier League. Not sure I've seen it before at this level though.
This whole ‘laying down behind the wall’ thing on 11:10 - Mar 21 with 2271 viewsMeadowlark

No. It's not.

But I am old.

What I want to know, is when did the obstruction law disappear? Once it was a free kick if you spread your arms and backed into someone whilst say guiding the ball out of play. Now it's a perfectly acceptable manoeuvre!!
This whole ‘laying down behind the wall’ thing on 11:16 - Mar 21 with 2255 viewsRadlett_blue

This whole ‘laying down behind the wall’ thing on 11:10 - Mar 21 by Meadowlark

No. It's not.

But I am old.

What I want to know, is when did the obstruction law disappear? Once it was a free kick if you spread your arms and backed into someone whilst say guiding the ball out of play. Now it's a perfectly acceptable manoeuvre!!

This has never been a free kick if the ball remains within playing distance.

This whole ‘laying down behind the wall’ thing on 11:54 - Mar 21 with 2224 viewshoppy

This whole ‘laying down behind the wall’ thing on 11:06 - Mar 21 by PhilTWTD

Has been something which has crept in a fair bit this season in the Premier League. Not sure I've seen it before at this level though.

It was the first time I've seen it, but I've not really watched much Premier League football to be fair.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

This whole ‘laying down behind the wall’ thing on 11:59 - Mar 21 with 2218 viewshadleighboyblue

This whole ‘laying down behind the wall’ thing on 11:10 - Mar 21 by Meadowlark

No. It's not.

But I am old.

Other rules which seem to have disappeared .....

No standing in front of free kick , wasn't that a bookable offence at some time

What happened to the keeper having to release the ball after so many seconds , now they save the ball and then lay on the ground or wander aimlessly around the penalty area , wasting as much time as they like , couldn't that be classed as time wasting ?
This whole ‘laying down behind the wall’ thing on 12:00 - Mar 21 with 2211 viewsRadlett_blue

This whole ‘laying down behind the wall’ thing on 11:59 - Mar 21 by hadleighboyblue

Other rules which seem to have disappeared .....

No standing in front of free kick , wasn't that a bookable offence at some time

What happened to the keeper having to release the ball after so many seconds , now they save the ball and then lay on the ground or wander aimlessly around the penalty area , wasting as much time as they like , couldn't that be classed as time wasting ?

Yes, neither of these are enforced by referees, which is incredibly frustrating for spectators.

This whole ‘laying down behind the wall’ thing on 12:03 - Mar 21 with 2207 viewsBluebell

This whole ‘laying down behind the wall’ thing on 11:06 - Mar 21 by PhilTWTD

I really want the person taking the free kick to whack it at the wall making them all step backwards falling over the idiot laying on the ground!
This whole ‘laying down behind the wall’ thing on 12:11 - Mar 21 with 2187 viewshoppy

This whole ‘laying down behind the wall’ thing on 12:03 - Mar 21 by Bluebell

I really want the person taking the free kick to whack it at the wall making them all step backwards falling over the idiot laying on the ground!

That would be brilliant!

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

This whole ‘laying down behind the wall’ thing on 12:16 - Mar 21 with 2173 viewsPhilTWTD

This whole ‘laying down behind the wall’ thing on 12:03 - Mar 21 by Bluebell

Good plan. Also, if you aim for where the lying down player's head is there's a good chance, assuming the wall jumps as anticipated, that the shot would loop into the goal in a manner the keeper wouldn't be able to stop.
This whole ‘laying down behind the wall’ thing on 12:40 - Mar 21 with 2131 viewsDennyx4

This whole ‘laying down behind the wall’ thing on 12:16 - Mar 21 by PhilTWTD

Good plan. Also, if you aim for where the lying down player's head is there's a good chance, assuming the wall jumps as anticipated, that the shot would loop into the goal in a manner the keeper wouldn't be able to stop.

Has anybody actually hit the player laying down behind the wall - I can't remember any shot hitting the player.

I remember a free kick or two, that went in under the wall (not that many of those either).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024