Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
4-4-2 12:00 - Oct 7 with 2388 viewsWickets

As someone who has always had a bit of a problem with looking past this system i have just read Mike Bacon in the EADT suggesting its time to revert to it . Wondering what others feel although pretty sure we know what Cookie feels !
4-4-2 on 12:01 - Oct 7 with 2031 viewsCotty

What are we going to do with all of these 10s?
4-4-2 on 12:07 - Oct 7 with 1994 viewsWickets

4-4-2 on 12:01 - Oct 7 by Cotty

What are we going to do with all of these 10s?

Same thing as we are doing with Piggott and Norwood now i suppose.
4-4-2 on 12:10 - Oct 7 with 1993 viewsJammyDodgerrr

I like Mike but basically his whole argument is go 4-4-2 so we can play Piggott and Bonne together. There is always lots of crowing for 4-4-2 on this myth it will equal more chances/goals, when in reality it is just a bad version of 4-2-3-1 IMO. I don't understand why we would switch away to a formation which the team isn't built for and also, will just increase the defensive duties on the two CMs, something that they are already struggling with.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

4-4-2 on 12:29 - Oct 7 with 1935 viewsThe_Realist_09

4-4-2 on 12:10 - Oct 7 by JammyDodgerrr

I like Mike but basically his whole argument is go 4-4-2 so we can play Piggott and Bonne together. There is always lots of crowing for 4-4-2 on this myth it will equal more chances/goals, when in reality it is just a bad version of 4-2-3-1 IMO. I don't understand why we would switch away to a formation which the team isn't built for and also, will just increase the defensive duties on the two CMs, something that they are already struggling with.

I don't get the obsession with it. Most of the top teams don't use it for a reason. It seems to have become one of those things that become amazing when you aren't using it and a mythical solution to everything.
4-4-2 on 12:35 - Oct 7 with 1911 viewspositivity

4-4-2 on 12:29 - Oct 7 by The_Realist_09

I don't get the obsession with it. Most of the top teams don't use it for a reason. It seems to have become one of those things that become amazing when you aren't using it and a mythical solution to everything.

i understand it if you're a mike bassett/dinosaur-type who's grown up with that and can't really get their head round anything else.

however, good coaches can usually a way to beat it.

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

4-4-2 on 12:57 - Oct 7 with 1835 viewsWickets

4-4-2 on 12:35 - Oct 7 by positivity

i understand it if you're a mike bassett/dinosaur-type who's grown up with that and can't really get their head round anything else.

Yes but let's not forget the quote that our manager has come out with a couple of time "systems don't win matches players do "
4-4-2 on 13:05 - Oct 7 with 1810 viewsJammyDodgerrr

4-4-2 on 12:35 - Oct 7 by positivity

4-4-2 basically relies on a 'We are better than you' approach which will work for a time if that's the case but will get figured out. The first season in L1 under Lambert is proof of this. We were absolutely smashing people with it, but eventually it just petered out and we had to switch away from it.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

4-4-2 on 13:06 - Oct 7 with 1799 viewschrismakin

our squad deserves 3 5 2

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Login to get fewer ads

4-4-2 on 13:11 - Oct 7 with 1784 viewsBlueBadger

4-4-2 on 13:05 - Oct 7 by JammyDodgerrr

4-4-2 basically relies on a 'We are better than you' approach which will work for a time if that's the case but will get figured out. The first season in L1 under Lambert is proof of this. We were absolutely smashing people with it, but eventually it just petered out and we had to switch away from it.

I don't think we even had that nailed down in Lambert's first season of Pissing The League. He quite often started with something different and then changed it because he hadn't actually bothered coaching the system he was trying. Or he started with 4-4-2 and then switched it because he hadn't bothered coaching THAT, either.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

4-4-2 on 13:25 - Oct 7 with 1761 viewsGarv

I can't say I've ever read much of his stuff but he comes across as pretty clueless on KOA (and annoying), so I wouldn't take much notice of that.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

4-4-2 on 14:06 - Oct 7 with 1659 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I'm doubting that someone who has steadfastly and stubbornly stuck to 4-2-3-1 for their whole career will suddenly change to 4-4-2.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

4-4-2 on 14:10 - Oct 7 with 1647 viewsBonchosBicycle

Should give 4-2-4 a go, like we used to line up in primary school in the 70s.
4-4-2 on 14:29 - Oct 7 with 1623 viewsgordon

Don't think it really matters that much, and not convinced the system is really the problem - the main thing I'd want is just want to make sure that enough of the front 6 is drawn from those in the squad with higher work rates / energy / better defensive contributions like Chaplin, El Mizouni, Burns, Morsy, Aluko, Bonne.

Having said that playing Pigott and Bonne together would boost our ability to defend set-pieces which could be pretty important - would wonder whether Bonne in the right-wing position (if Bonne were to stop scoring goals!) and Burns at right-back would be considered at some point.
[Post edited 7 Oct 2021 14:30]
4-4-2 on 14:56 - Oct 7 with 1566 viewsMookamoo

4-4-2 isn't the answer - not with the players we have. There needs to be something different though. We are too easy to play against at the moment and the stubborn insistence that we only play one way will be Cook's downfall.

Quick Google on how Man City changed from a 4-2-3-1 here:

I know it's apples and oranges and Wes Burns is no Gundogan, but it goes a little way to demonstrate the need to adapt when things are not working.
4-4-2 on 14:57 - Oct 7 with 1558 viewsDavoIPB

4-4-2 on 14:10 - Oct 7 by BonchosBicycle

Best post on here for a while. I can remember it being 10 players not more than 10 yard from the ball! With the way Ipswich are playing it looks like we dont need a midfield. We seem to bypass it anyway!

We pass it to our midfield players who pass it back to the centre backs to hoof it up to our lone striker!
4-4-2 on 15:58 - Oct 7 with 1500 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Only ever 4-2-4 (or 2-3-5 for those old enough) at kick-off though.

The predominant formation I remember from primary school was "the swarm" which naturally centred around the ball.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

4-4-2 on 15:59 - Oct 7 with 1492 viewsMetal_Hacker

4-4-2 on 15:58 - Oct 7 by You_Bloo_Right

Only ever 4-2-4 (or 2-3-5 for those old enough) at kick-off though.

The predominant formation I remember from primary school was "the swarm" which naturally centred around the ball.

The "Swarm" otherwise known as the "Magnet" formation

It used to work wonders at school

Poll: If it were one or the other

4-4-2 on 16:22 - Oct 7 with 1459 viewsstrikalite

4-4-2 on 13:06 - Oct 7 by chrismakin

our squad deserves 3 5 2

A high press 3-5-2 would suit us agree...

Norwood fully fit along with Bonne Is something I'd love to see..
4-4-2 on 16:27 - Oct 7 with 1449 viewsHerbivore

4-4-2 on 13:06 - Oct 7 by chrismakin

our squad deserves 3 5 2

How do you work that one out? We don't have the defenders to play out from a back three, we have a load of wingers and number 10s who don't fit that system at all. It's probably the worst fit possible for our squad. I've never understood our fans' obsession with 3-5-2, I guess it's nostalgia for the Burley days.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

4-4-2 on 16:30 - Oct 7 with 1441 viewshype313

Might aswell get Dave Bassett in then while we're at it.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

4-4-2 on 16:40 - Oct 7 with 1427 viewsfranz_tyson

Best that Cook sticks to what he knows best and see it out. If he can’t get anything out of his players from his preferred 4-2-3-1 then the writings on the wall. Trying to re-invent himself appears like panic. He didn’t buy a whole new squad for 4-4-2. Just need to squeeze better performances out of the players.
4-4-2 on 17:17 - Oct 7 with 1354 viewschrismakin

4-4-2 on 16:27 - Oct 7 by Herbivore

How do you work that one out? We don't have the defenders to play out from a back three, we have a load of wingers and number 10s who don't fit that system at all. It's probably the worst fit possible for our squad. I've never understood our fans' obsession with 3-5-2, I guess it's nostalgia for the Burley days.

Absolutely it's from the Burley years. Highly successful Burley years

But don't forget, he didn't just stick with 1 formation though, but 3 5 2 was one of them

We have the ability to change, and that's my point. 3.5.2 is one we could easily utilise. I don't agree that we don't have the defenders for it, Burgess is probably the worst with the ball of our options but he's left footed so slots into it.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

4-4-2 on 17:18 - Oct 7 with 1353 viewsmonkeymagic

My school team in the 70’s set up 3, 3, 4 :

GK
RB CB LB
RM CM LM
OR IR IL OL

Albeit in reality all 10 of the outfield players mostly left their positions and just ran towards the ball.
4-4-2 on 17:24 - Oct 7 with 1339 viewsreusersfreekicks

4-4-2 on 17:17 - Oct 7 by chrismakin

Absolutely it's from the Burley years. Highly successful Burley years

But don't forget, he didn't just stick with 1 formation though, but 3 5 2 was one of them

We have the ability to change, and that's my point. 3.5.2 is one we could easily utilise. I don't agree that we don't have the defenders for it, Burgess is probably the worst with the ball of our options but he's left footed so slots into it.

Burley switched to 4--4-2 once in the prem after about 5 matches
4-4-2 on 17:30 - Oct 7 with 1330 viewschrismakin

4-4-2 on 17:24 - Oct 7 by reusersfreekicks

Burley switched to 4--4-2 once in the prem after about 5 matches

4.4.2 4.3.3 3.5.2 we saw them all.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024