Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... 11:50 - Dec 6 with 3989 viewsitfcjoe

...Manning has managed 24 at MK Dons

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 11:54 - Dec 6 with 1889 viewsbenrhyddingblue

He also had 120+ games in charge of Ayr United before Colchester!
George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 11:55 - Dec 6 with 1867 viewsportmanking

Huge, huge job for Manning so soon into his career though.

I wouldn't be adverse to him, but Karl Robinson is a more experienced version of him IMO.
George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 11:58 - Dec 6 with 1838 viewstextbackup

George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 11:55 - Dec 6 by portmanking

Huge, huge job for Manning so soon into his career though.

I wouldn't be adverse to him, but Karl Robinson is a more experienced version of him IMO.

He’s currently doing better with MKdons then we are with all this investment

I’d say that makes him more than ready

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 11:59 - Dec 6 with 1822 viewsHerbivore

I don't get why we're so edgy about going for someone inexperienced but with a lot of potential. It's not like appointing experienced managers has been a hugely successful strategy for us. Take a punt on a gifted coach, let them make a name for themselves here.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 12:00 - Dec 6 with 1809 viewsportmanking

George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 11:58 - Dec 6 by textbackup

Like I said, I'd give him full backing if he did join. He's got great pedigree for sure. But if you're looking for someone with know-how/nous of this level AND a strong tactical philosophy, Robinson ticks more boxes at this juncture for me.
George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 12:03 - Dec 6 with 1783 viewsitfcjoe

George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 11:58 - Dec 6 by textbackup

At some point we need to take a chance on a manager, and trust the board to identify someone with potential than just looking at past records

George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 12:05 - Dec 6 with 1757 viewstextbackup

George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 12:03 - Dec 6 by itfcjoe

At some point we need to take a chance on a manager, and trust the board to identify someone with potential than just looking at past records

Definitely

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 12:06 - Dec 6 with 1730 viewspennblue

George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 12:03 - Dec 6 by itfcjoe

but how long will a rookie be allowed before being judged?

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Login to get fewer ads

George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 12:07 - Dec 6 with 1718 viewstractorboy1978

I can't see that this will be an application process. It'll be us head hunting the manager that will be the new ownership's group's first managerial appointment and one they want to get right 100%.

Talking in hypotheticals, if that man isn't available until the end of the season (for whatever reason) then I can't see us working down a list and McGreal could be here for the rest of this season. If we don't see someone in within the next few days I think that is quite likely unless his results are absolutely disastrous.
George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 12:07 - Dec 6 with 1709 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Didn't we try exactly that with Hurst?

If, as I've been told many times, we need 2 points per game now, is the answer to replace Cook with McGreal?!?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 12:08 - Dec 6 with 1688 viewshype313

George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 12:07 - Dec 6 by The_Flashing_Smile

If, as I've been told many times, we need 2 points per game now, is the answer to replace Cook with McGreal?!?

Well, it wasn't exactly working with Cook was it?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 12:09 - Dec 6 with 1668 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 12:07 - Dec 6 by tractorboy1978

I can't see that this will be an application process. It'll be us head hunting the manager that will be the new ownership's group's first managerial appointment and one they want to get right 100%.

Talking in hypotheticals, if that man isn't available until the end of the season (for whatever reason) then I can't see us working down a list and McGreal could be here for the rest of this season. If we don't see someone in within the next few days I think that is quite likely unless his results are absolutely disastrous.

Considering most on here reckon we need promotion THIS season, I can't see that being a viable approach.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 12:10 - Dec 6 with 1652 viewsHerbivore

George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 12:06 - Dec 6 by pennblue

but how long will a rookie be allowed before being judged?

I imagine longer than an experienced manager who came in talking about automatic promotion and then went on a run of 4 wins in 16 to finish midtable. Even then said manager was widely supported until quite recently, despite continued underperformance. I would hope whoever the new manager is that they will show some clear signs of progress within a similar time frame to that which Cook was given. 9 months isn't long enough to complete a 'project' but it should be enough time to show that you've got enough about you to be a success.

George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 12:10 - Dec 6 with 1653 viewsSnedders

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12431444/liam-manning-interview-fr

Having read this article he sounds like he's the real deal. Surely you don't get headhunted by the City Football Group without having something about you?
George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 12:12 - Dec 6 with 1636 viewsitfcjoe

George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 12:07 - Dec 6 by The_Flashing_Smile

Hurst had managed something like 500 games before he came across, he really wasn't the young up and coming manager he was billed at - he'd just had a superb run at Shrewsbury

I think the answer was to lose Cook, and then hope something changes when we get the right man in

George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 12:13 - Dec 6 with 1619 viewsNthQldITFC

George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 11:59 - Dec 6 by Herbivore

I don't get why we're so edgy about going for someone inexperienced but with a lot of potential. It's not like appointing experienced managers has been a hugely successful strategy for us. Take a punt on a gifted coach, let them make a name for themselves here.

I agree. And in a way I think an experienced manager tends to carry more baggage, which is what we don't need now, or within the kind of setup that Gamechanger seem to be after. A young, positive head coach who follows the ethos, and crucially is a very good psychologist as well is what we need here and now.

He doesn't need to be a wily old fox who can get an extra 10% out of a bunch of middling to decent players (McCarthy, Warnock etc.) because he's got quality material for this level to work with. What he needs to bring is belief, harmony and an unshakable confidence to this squad. Plus probably one more quality centre back in January.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2021 12:21]

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 12:13 - Dec 6 with 1608 viewsportmanking

George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 12:09 - Dec 6 by The_Flashing_Smile

Considering most on here reckon we need promotion THIS season, I can't see that being a viable approach.

Absolutely this.

If people are so adamant that it's this season or bust (hence the sacking of Cook), why on earth would they roll the dice with McGreal?
George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 12:14 - Dec 6 with 1607 viewsunstableblue

George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 11:59 - Dec 6 by Herbivore

Who do you think we should go for Herbie?

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 12:14 - Dec 6 with 1597 viewsitfcsuth

Would be my first pick, and stated that when Cook's performance began to fell off, which no doubt led to the hierarchy looking at alternatives.

Has a 50% win record a MK, was at Lommel (CFG) in Belgium as well for a season, where he also had a 46% win record.

Large chunk of his time spent working with West Ham - and gets a lot of credit for Declan Rice's progression in the latter academy years.

I think the football they are playing is beautiful, just wary of how much of that was foundations set by Russell martin prior though.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2021 12:15]
George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 12:15 - Dec 6 with 1587 viewstractorboy1978

George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 12:09 - Dec 6 by The_Flashing_Smile

To be honest, we aren't many results off the season being all but done and dusted are we? If McGreal doesn't get a win in one of the next two we are going to find ourselves 10+ points off the top 6, teams with a game in hand and needing 15/16 wins from 24 games just to sneak into the play offs. That's an incredible ask for any new manager.
George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 12:16 - Dec 6 with 1557 viewsHerbivore

George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 12:13 - Dec 6 by portmanking

Absolutely this.

If people are so adamant that it's this season or bust (hence the sacking of Cook), why on earth would they roll the dice with McGreal?

Clearly a judgement was made that under Cook the chances of success this season were very, very small. That being the case, you make a change. If the season is looking likely to be a failure there's little value in letting that failure fully play out in front of you before making the change. McGreal isn't here as a permanent option so this swapping Cook for McGreal narrative is a bit of a false one, it's normal to have a caretaker for a game or two whilst a permanent appointment is made.

George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 12:17 - Dec 6 with 1541 viewsclive_baker

Not for me Clive. I think it depends how the next few weeks goes, arguably if we lose our next few games with McGreal and the season is looking lost, then perhaps there's a case for a longer term lens, give it to Manning with the rest of this season as something of a free hit (deja vu I know). Get his feet under the table, shape his squad in the summer and lets hope he is the real deal. No appointment is risk free, but that would feel like such a coin toss. These owners need a return relatively quickly, so I can't see them going for Manning at this juncture. If / while we're on the coattails of the playoffs I would be nervous about such a rookie, as good as his start to life in management has been. He has 10 wins to his name, he's very raw and this is a big job with big pressures.

Lowe is the standout candidate for me, his style of football, his expereince to date but young(ish) and progressive. I think he's the value bet.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 12:18 - Dec 6 with 1522 viewsBseaBlue

George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 12:13 - Dec 6 by portmanking

Absolutely this.

But if the alternative was to carry on spluttering our way to a mid table finish then surely better to roll the dice?
George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 12:22 - Dec 6 with 1479 viewsHerbivore

George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 12:14 - Dec 6 by unstableblue

Who do you think we should go for Herbie?

No idea. I like the sound of Manning and his coaching team and they have the added bonus of Town connections. I think it needs to be a coach with some coaching pedigree this time, we've spent years appointing old school managers with promotions on their CV and our hit rate is one in six not being hopeless. Go with someone up and coming who will make their name here, not just see us as another job.

George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 12:25 - Dec 6 with 1428 viewsportmanking

George Burley had managed 20 games at Col U before he jumped ship to us... on 12:18 - Dec 6 by BseaBlue

But if the alternative was to carry on spluttering our way to a mid table finish then surely better to roll the dice?

Yes, but roll the dice for a young upstart that would likely need 18 months to fully impose himself on the club/squad doesn't really align with the view of many that said it's this year or bust.

Unless, of course, people now believe it DOES need a long-term perspective to build sustainable success?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024