Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Novak vs Aussie govt 22:23 - Jan 9 with 4837 viewsbluelagos

Who is your money on?

I reckon Novak gets in.

(That is not an endorsement of his vaccination status, conduct or views)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Novak vs Aussie govt on 22:33 - Jan 9 with 2475 viewsLeoMuff

Wouldn’t be surprised, but the government there has made a big show of this and will not want to look silly and have to let him in.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2022 22:35]

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Novak vs Aussie govt on 22:37 - Jan 9 with 2451 viewsN2_Blue

I don't think he will.

I think it will enormously upset the Australians if he plays and the government won't want to do that. He'd get a terrible reception in every game.

Not pissing off your civilians if far more important than some tennis tournament that he's won more than enough times anyway.

Rafa can still give Australia it's story by winning his 21st slam to take the record

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Novak vs Aussie govt on 23:00 - Jan 9 with 2401 viewsStokieBlue

Even if he does the Aussie public are going to lay into him every match given what they have had to do the last two years.

The pictures of him out and about on the day he's supposed to have covid aren't brilliant.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Novak vs Aussie govt on 23:01 - Jan 9 with 2396 viewsMookamoo

I think they'll do some sort of deal that allows him to reapply for a new visa, this time with the correct/invented PCR result included. That way the government can argue they were correct with no special treatment etc when cancelling the first visa, while still letting him in.

I'll laugh if he gets knocked out in the early rounds.
Novak vs Aussie govt on 23:45 - Jan 9 with 2323 viewsRyorry

The situation, what may have happened or what didn't, seems about as clear as mud.

Novak is now going to be stuck with his unfortunate new nickname & an unwelcome rep for either being a selfish anti-vaxxer who doesn't care about anyone but himself, or an anti-hero who's embraced by anti-vaxx conspiracy theorists.

The Aussies aren't coming out of it well so far on the grounds of lack of clarity, competence, the conditions Novak's being held in, and the Detention Centre facilities generally for all "ordinary" people held there.

If he is allowed to play, he'll probably get booed consistently, but I think that'd just spur him on, make him more determined, & he could end up winning the tourney. But it'd probably always be a bit tainted, so no real winners in this.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Novak vs Aussie govt on 00:04 - Jan 10 with 2308 viewsfactual_blue

As one of the planks of his argument appears to be(according to court documents seen by the BBC) is that 'a lot of people in Australia have Covid, so it doesn't matter I haven't been vaccinated', I'm not rating his chances too high.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Novak vs Aussie govt on 00:56 - Jan 10 with 2238 viewsBasingstokeBlue

The government holds all the cards; their criteria for entry into the country are set in stone. If somebody thinks they’ve sidestepped it, they’re going to be disappointed.

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

Novak vs Aussie govt on 01:01 - Jan 10 with 2234 viewsurbanblue

Following it live ... the judge is hammering the Governments behaviour ...

'What more could this man have done ?'

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/live/2022/jan/10/novak-djokovic-appeal-federal
[Post edited 10 Jan 2022 1:03]
Login to get fewer ads

Novak vs Aussie govt on 01:06 - Jan 10 with 2204 viewsXYZ

It's a lose-lose for Novaxx and Tennis Australia.

He wins the case (looking possible according to BBC reporting of the judges comments) and the Melbourne public let their feeling be known.

He loses and he's seen as a visa cheat.

Melbournians don't want him there and he may have cost the Labor (yes, that's the correct local spelling) Victorian government big time.. some bad calls made here.
[Redacted] on 05:45 - Jan 10 with 2024 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Novak vs Aussie govt on 07:01 - Jan 10 with 1900 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Novak vs Aussie govt on 00:04 - Jan 10 by factual_blue

As one of the planks of his argument appears to be(according to court documents seen by the BBC) is that 'a lot of people in Australia have Covid, so it doesn't matter I haven't been vaccinated', I'm not rating his chances too high.

…oh

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Novak vs Aussie govt on 07:25 - Jan 10 with 1863 viewsWD19

Novak vs Aussie govt on 01:01 - Jan 10 by urbanblue

Following it live ... the judge is hammering the Governments behaviour ...

'What more could this man have done ?'

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/live/2022/jan/10/novak-djokovic-appeal-federal
[Post edited 10 Jan 2022 1:03]

Is the answer ‘follow the rules and get vaccinated like everyone else’!?
Novak vs Aussie govt on 07:29 - Jan 10 with 1851 viewsbluelagos

Novak vs Aussie govt on 23:45 - Jan 9 by Ryorry

The situation, what may have happened or what didn't, seems about as clear as mud.

Novak is now going to be stuck with his unfortunate new nickname & an unwelcome rep for either being a selfish anti-vaxxer who doesn't care about anyone but himself, or an anti-hero who's embraced by anti-vaxx conspiracy theorists.

The Aussies aren't coming out of it well so far on the grounds of lack of clarity, competence, the conditions Novak's being held in, and the Detention Centre facilities generally for all "ordinary" people held there.

If he is allowed to play, he'll probably get booed consistently, but I think that'd just spur him on, make him more determined, & he could end up winning the tourney. But it'd probably always be a bit tainted, so no real winners in this.

Well summarised R.

Piece in the Sunday Times yesterday that explains he is not antivaxxer rather has refused to take the vaccine.

Of course that position willl be ignored by both sides, him being lauded by the antivaxxers and condemned as an antivaxxer simultaneously.

If he gets to play as looks likely, he'll get booed. Tbh, if I was him, having been allowed in, I'd give it a swerve this year. Cant see how his head will be in the right place...

Edit:
"...that explains he is not antivaxxer" should probably read "that claims he is not an antivaxxer" given the point is debatable (as per the rest of the thread)

Left it as was as I think it wrong to change something that's wrong, but happy to correct it.
[Post edited 10 Jan 2022 8:59]

Novak vs Aussie govt on 07:32 - Jan 10 with 1828 viewsWD19

Novak vs Aussie govt on 07:29 - Jan 10 by bluelagos

Well summarised R.

Piece in the Sunday Times yesterday that explains he is not antivaxxer rather has refused to take the vaccine.

Of course that position willl be ignored by both sides, him being lauded by the antivaxxers and condemned as an antivaxxer simultaneously.

If he gets to play as looks likely, he'll get booed. Tbh, if I was him, having been allowed in, I'd give it a swerve this year. Cant see how his head will be in the right place...

Edit:
"...that explains he is not antivaxxer" should probably read "that claims he is not an antivaxxer" given the point is debatable (as per the rest of the thread)

Left it as was as I think it wrong to change something that's wrong, but happy to correct it.

You are being extremely generous. Did he not deliberately organise a tournament with full crowds against all advice at the height of the first wave that then turned in to a super spreader event!?
Novak vs Aussie govt on 07:37 - Jan 10 with 1816 viewsbluelagos

Novak vs Aussie govt on 07:32 - Jan 10 by WD19

You are being extremely generous. Did he not deliberately organise a tournament with full crowds against all advice at the height of the first wave that then turned in to a super spreader event!?

He did, which is pretty stupid/irresponsible. And the photo of him with the kids when supposedly having tested positive means he is either dishonest or stupid/irresponsible.

Stupidity and dishonesty do not mean he an antivaxxer, nor are they grounds normally for refusing entry to countries.

It means he is stupid (and possibly) dishonest. And ignorant of the risks of spread, clearly,

Novak vs Aussie govt on 07:40 - Jan 10 with 1792 viewsVic

Looks like he’s 2 sets up and a break up with advantage on his own serve to win.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Novak vs Aussie govt on 07:49 - Jan 10 with 1764 viewsRamRob

Novak vs Aussie govt on 07:25 - Jan 10 by WD19

Is the answer ‘follow the rules and get vaccinated like everyone else’!?

Thing is due to some shady dealings by Tennis Australia he effectively has followed the rules. They managed to wrangle him a medical exemption he wasn't entitled to, and as he had the necessary documents Gov didn't have a leg to stand on.

Absolutely stinks.Tennis Australia have bent the rules to let him in and it's end up costing the Australian tax payer.

Poll: What should be the music when opposition score?

Novak vs Aussie govt on 08:01 - Jan 10 with 1724 viewsbluelagos

Novak vs Aussie govt on 07:49 - Jan 10 by RamRob

Thing is due to some shady dealings by Tennis Australia he effectively has followed the rules. They managed to wrangle him a medical exemption he wasn't entitled to, and as he had the necessary documents Gov didn't have a leg to stand on.

Absolutely stinks.Tennis Australia have bent the rules to let him in and it's end up costing the Australian tax payer.

That is my understanding of the legal position. All a dogs breakfast and no one comes out well from this.

Novak vs Aussie govt on 08:18 - Jan 10 with 1689 viewsHerbivore

Novak vs Aussie govt on 07:37 - Jan 10 by bluelagos

He did, which is pretty stupid/irresponsible. And the photo of him with the kids when supposedly having tested positive means he is either dishonest or stupid/irresponsible.

Stupidity and dishonesty do not mean he an antivaxxer, nor are they grounds normally for refusing entry to countries.

It means he is stupid (and possibly) dishonest. And ignorant of the risks of spread, clearly,

He has previously spoken about being opposed to vaccines, which is surely the position of some who is anti-vax?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-59897918

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Novak vs Aussie govt on 08:20 - Jan 10 with 1691 viewsStokieBlue

Novak vs Aussie govt on 07:29 - Jan 10 by bluelagos

Well summarised R.

Edit:

He's been a full on covid denier over the last two years.

When things were bad about 14 months ago he held a tournament himself with no vaccine or covid regulations and most of the players ended up getting covid.

He's full on woo with regards to alternative medicines and ignoring science. His wife was big on the 5G nonsense as well. It's not a science-based family.

SB
[Post edited 10 Jan 2022 8:21]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Novak vs Aussie govt on 08:20 - Jan 10 with 1688 viewsHerbivore

Novak vs Aussie govt on 08:01 - Jan 10 by bluelagos

That is my understanding of the legal position. All a dogs breakfast and no one comes out well from this.

Didn't follow it live but reading the report on the Beeb this morning it seems the main reason he's been released is a technically, he wasn't given the legally mandated time to respond to the decision to cancel his visa.

Novak vs Aussie govt on 08:23 - Jan 10 with 1668 viewsbluelagos

Novak vs Aussie govt on 08:18 - Jan 10 by Herbivore

He has previously spoken about being opposed to vaccines, which is surely the position of some who is anti-vax?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-59897918

The quote from the ST said he said he was anti mandatory vaccines.

I'll dig it out and post.

BL

Novak vs Aussie govt on 08:32 - Jan 10 with 1638 viewsElderGrizzly

Novak vs Aussie govt on 08:20 - Jan 10 by StokieBlue

He's been a full on covid denier over the last two years.

When things were bad about 14 months ago he held a tournament himself with no vaccine or covid regulations and most of the players ended up getting covid.

He's full on woo with regards to alternative medicines and ignoring science. His wife was big on the 5G nonsense as well. It's not a science-based family.

SB
[Post edited 10 Jan 2022 8:21]

Immigration minister apparently has a personal veto option which he is going to use. 3 year ban from Australia goes with it.

Plus of course, Djokovic just admitted he was not self-isolating after his positive test for 2 days at least

Novak vs Aussie govt on 08:33 - Jan 10 with 1633 viewsbluelagos

Novak vs Aussie govt on 08:23 - Jan 10 by bluelagos

The quote from the ST said he said he was anti mandatory vaccines.

I'll dig it out and post.

BL

David Walsh is the journo. This is the bit he wrote about Novak's vaccination stance.

---
He was against mandatory vaccination from the beginning and because he spoke publicly about his reticence to be vaccinated, he was seen as an advocate for the anti-vaccination lobby.

This is unfair as his position is more nuanced. "My issue with vaccines is if someone is forcing me to put something into my body. That I don't want. For me that's unacceptable. I am not against vaccination of any kind, because who am I to speak about vaccines when there are people that have been in the field of medicine and saving lives around the world?" he said before the 2020 US Open.

--------------
That quote for me, is a long way from being an antivaxxer as he is being portrayed. Seems to be consistent with someone choosing not to take the vaccine, a completely different position imho.

Novak vs Aussie govt on 08:35 - Jan 10 with 1614 viewsHerbivore

Novak vs Aussie govt on 08:33 - Jan 10 by bluelagos

David Walsh is the journo. This is the bit he wrote about Novak's vaccination stance.

---
He was against mandatory vaccination from the beginning and because he spoke publicly about his reticence to be vaccinated, he was seen as an advocate for the anti-vaccination lobby.

This is unfair as his position is more nuanced. "My issue with vaccines is if someone is forcing me to put something into my body. That I don't want. For me that's unacceptable. I am not against vaccination of any kind, because who am I to speak about vaccines when there are people that have been in the field of medicine and saving lives around the world?" he said before the 2020 US Open.

--------------
That quote for me, is a long way from being an antivaxxer as he is being portrayed. Seems to be consistent with someone choosing not to take the vaccine, a completely different position imho.

That's just one quote and doesn't include the line in the Beeb article where he says he is opposed to vaccinations. If I have time I'll see if I can find the context of that quote, but when you see the things he's said about Covid, vaccines, and medical science generally I don't think it's harsh to describe his stance as anti-vax.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024