Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nolan released then. 16:05 - Jan 30 with 4573 viewsDubtractor

Meh, I guess.

A player that cost a few quid and came with great promise, but ultimately delivered very little indeed for us.

Ineffective is probably the word I'd used to describe his performances for us, when he was fit enough to play.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Nolan released then. on 16:14 - Jan 30 with 3370 viewsmonty_radio

Over the years we've had quite a few players whose control suggested the possibility of a greater influence than the actual performance delivered. Lee Martin, Currie, and further back, Garvan, Brennan. I'm a sucker for such players who initially show that level of control, but who ultimately disappoint - I think Fraser might be just about to be added to my list.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Nolan released then. on 16:15 - Jan 30 with 3364 viewsBlueBadger

I've said it before and I'll say it again - a poor man's Lee Martin.

Pathetic, dropped, ran around a bit, briefly vaguely effective and then, rather than getting sent off all the time, he got injured.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Nolan released then. on 16:33 - Jan 30 with 3285 viewsCoastalblue

Nolan released then. on 16:14 - Jan 30 by monty_radio

Over the years we've had quite a few players whose control suggested the possibility of a greater influence than the actual performance delivered. Lee Martin, Currie, and further back, Garvan, Brennan. I'm a sucker for such players who initially show that level of control, but who ultimately disappoint - I think Fraser might be just about to be added to my list.

I agree with all of that, except Currie. I thought he did quite well for us, could deliver a decent set piece and could sprint flat out at walking pace.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Nolan released then. on 17:02 - Jan 30 with 3198 viewscbower

Nolan released then. on 16:33 - Jan 30 by Coastalblue

I agree with all of that, except Currie. I thought he did quite well for us, could deliver a decent set piece and could sprint flat out at walking pace.

With a modicum of pace, Currie would have played at a higher level imho.

bluescouser

Nolan released then. on 17:08 - Jan 30 with 3176 viewsLankHenners

Like many players we've signed over the past few years, he perhaps would have benefited more from coming into a settled team and been given room to make the step up from league one to the championship.

As it was, he never came close to producing what was hoped from him and in the end injury struggles made it tough for him to get a run back in the team.

Another in the 'shame it didn't work out but best for him to move on and us to move forwards' camp.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Nolan released then. on 17:10 - Jan 30 with 3154 viewsMullet

Nolan released then. on 17:02 - Jan 30 by cbower

Premiership player on a sloped pitch absolutely loved him

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Nolan released then. on 17:18 - Jan 30 with 3114 viewscbower

Nolan released then. on 17:10 - Jan 30 by Mullet

If he had scored that one against Leeds, he would have played in the Premier League for us. Bad miss that one!

bluescouser

Nolan released then. on 17:20 - Jan 30 with 3107 viewsDubtractor

Nolan released then. on 17:10 - Jan 30 by Mullet

Aged 46, I am the Darren Currie of 7 a side football.

Lovely first touch, occasional bit of skill to get half a yard of space, lovely passing, absolutely no pace at all.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

Login to get fewer ads

Nolan released then. on 17:22 - Jan 30 with 3081 viewsMullet

Nolan released then. on 17:20 - Jan 30 by Dubtractor

Aged 46, I am the Darren Currie of 7 a side football.

Lovely first touch, occasional bit of skill to get half a yard of space, lovely passing, absolutely no pace at all.

I remember you bragging about how many times you megged Phil. All makes sense now…..

Nolan released then. on 17:24 - Jan 30 with 3063 viewsronnyd

Nolan released then. on 16:33 - Jan 30 by Coastalblue

At least Currie could deliver a decent set piece.
Nolan released then. on 17:58 - Jan 30 with 2955 viewsDubtractor

Nolan released then. on 17:22 - Jan 30 by Mullet

I remember you bragging about how many times you megged Phil. All makes sense now…..

Tbf, I do have more pace than Phil.

Nolan released then. on 18:08 - Jan 30 with 2907 viewsMullet

Nolan released then. on 17:58 - Jan 30 by Dubtractor

Tbf, I do have more pace than Phil.

Dammit man you’re gonna get me banned with all these pinpoint crosses!

Nolan released then. on 19:59 - Jan 30 with 2749 viewssuffolkpoker

Nolan released then. on 17:02 - Jan 30 by cbower

Currie on his day was class, a proper off your seat player. Had the best drop of a shoulder I’ve still ever seen (maybe waddle was a little better at it)

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

Nolan released then. on 20:09 - Jan 30 with 2709 viewsjayessess

Wasn't very good even when he was fit, which he rarely was.

Just Jackson and Donacien left...

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Nolan released then. on 20:30 - Jan 30 with 2654 viewspatrickswell

For me, he was the poster boy for everything that went wrong after McCarthy left. Played like he didn’t want to be noticed. Timid, frightened and disinterested. A waste of money and of space.
Nolan released then. on 21:37 - Jan 30 with 2556 viewsGarv

I thought he was coming in as a dynamic no.10, and that's where Hurst played him. But he was never that in reality. Not sure if his legs just went during the summer of 2018 but he looked energetic for Shrewsbury and not at all for us.

Did have an almost impressive ability to pop up with a goal with a late run, but in terms of overall input and quality, nowhere near it.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Nolan released then. on 23:48 - Jan 30 with 2433 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

Nolan released then. on 19:59 - Jan 30 by suffolkpoker

Currie on his day was class, a proper off your seat player. Had the best drop of a shoulder I’ve still ever seen (maybe waddle was a little better at it)

No idea who it was against but I remember him selling a defender and taking him out of the game with the most delightful little shoulder feint.

If only he had a modicum of pace, he'd have been some player.
Nolan released then. on 00:03 - Jan 31 with 2408 viewsOldsmoker

I have upvoted everyone who says Currie was a class act.
He was.

I remember when Town had players that when they got the ball you got excited because you knew they could do something special. Currie was one of those.

In my day they were called the Danger Man. Not a term used much nowadays.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Nolan released then. on 00:07 - Jan 31 with 2402 viewswitchdoctor

Nolan released then. on 00:03 - Jan 31 by Oldsmoker

I have upvoted everyone who says Currie was a class act.
He was.

I remember when Town had players that when they got the ball you got excited because you knew they could do something special. Currie was one of those.

In my day they were called the Danger Man. Not a term used much nowadays.

he is one of my all time fave Town players..👍
Nolan released then. on 00:25 - Jan 31 with 2364 viewsChurchman

Nolan released then. on 20:30 - Jan 30 by patrickswell

For me, he was the poster boy for everything that went wrong after McCarthy left. Played like he didn’t want to be noticed. Timid, frightened and disinterested. A waste of money and of space.

That’s a bit harsh….and fair. The bloke looked decent for Shrewsbury in his golden season but he’s been poor for us. A real lower league player who was well short of being good enough
Nolan released then. on 07:45 - Jan 31 with 2165 viewsSteve_M

Of all the Hurst signings though, I ​think he was the one that promised the most. Enough hints on the pitch of a really good midfielder to really wonder why he could never manage any sustained run of good form.

Very frustrating but, even allowing for the mess this club has been in, he seemed to shrink under pressure.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Nolan released then. on 08:39 - Jan 31 with 2093 viewsRadlett_blue

Nolan released then. on 00:25 - Jan 31 by Churchman

That’s a bit harsh….and fair. The bloke looked decent for Shrewsbury in his golden season but he’s been poor for us. A real lower league player who was well short of being good enough

Nolan spent most of his career knocking around the lower & non-leagues & had one good season at Shrewsbury when the team was doing well & presumably he fitted into their system. Hurst over-estimated his ability, the same with all his other signings. Never sure what his role was at Town, even under Hurst, as he wasn't a box-to-box midfield player & also didn't seem to have the confidence to get forward & offer a goal threat.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Nolan released then. on 08:41 - Jan 31 with 2082 viewstextbackup

Nolan released then. on 16:15 - Jan 30 by BlueBadger

I've said it before and I'll say it again - a poor man's Lee Martin.

Pathetic, dropped, ran around a bit, briefly vaguely effective and then, rather than getting sent off all the time, he got injured.

how many times did you watch him?

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Nolan released then. on 08:44 - Jan 31 with 2058 viewsitfcjoe

£2m for Toto and Nolan to come in to what was hoped to be an upwardly mobile Championship side, £1.6m for Jackson, £750k for Harrison......our permanent business that summer and not one of them looks more than a half-decent L1 performer.

Nolan perhaps the most disappointing - can run all day, 2 good feet, could pass, had a goal in him......but just totally shrunk in an Ipswich shirt - safe on the ball, and would hide when not on it.

Guess a combination of homesickness and not being able to live up to the pressure of playing for a big club in a big ground. But a real disappointment for what should have been a nailed on decent signing looking at things.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Nolan released then. on 08:45 - Jan 31 with 2051 viewsSparky85

Nolan's stats actually look quite decent - 10 goals in 70 appearances. Bit I agree his time here has come to an end.

Also, in agreement with most others. Currie was class. I remember a certain touch against QPR when in one touch he took down a high ball and put Shefki in down the wing. Scored that day as well if I remember rightly. We won 4-2
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024