Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I know we were baying for it last night 08:23 - Sep 14 with 2070 viewsCheltenham_Blue

But I did think the second red was a little harsh. Chaplin going away from goal, if Kilgour hadn't clipped his heels then he would have got around to cover.

Not a clear goalscoring opportunity for me, I'd expect Rovers to appeal that.

The Thomas sending off though, could see that one coming throughout the second half, looked like he was trying to prove something to Barton.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

I know we were baying for it last night on 08:24 - Sep 14 with 1713 viewshomer_123

I have to say that I thought he wouldn't have recovered to get back around Chaplin, so for me, a red.

Close call though.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2022 8:24]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

I know we were baying for it last night on 08:29 - Sep 14 with 1667 viewsWhos_blue

Hmm.

I'm not sure.
I can see how you'd say it was harsh, as Chaplin was a reasonable way out.
However, he was the last defender and committed a foul.
You even say yourself "if he hadn't clipped his heels", but he did clip his heels, so it's a foul.
I wasn't a fan of the ref last night, be he immediately looked over to the lino for confirmation before making his decision.
In my opinion, harsh but definitely fair.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

I know we were baying for it last night on 08:34 - Sep 14 with 1609 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I know we were baying for it last night on 08:29 - Sep 14 by Whos_blue

Hmm.

I'm not sure.
I can see how you'd say it was harsh, as Chaplin was a reasonable way out.
However, he was the last defender and committed a foul.
You even say yourself "if he hadn't clipped his heels", but he did clip his heels, so it's a foul.
I wasn't a fan of the ref last night, be he immediately looked over to the lino for confirmation before making his decision.
In my opinion, harsh but definitely fair.

I don't think I said it wasn't a foul did I?
I said Chaplin was going away from goal, and it wasn't, to me a clear goalscoring opportunity.

I thought it was a yellow, despite my shouts of "off, off, off"

I'll be amazed if it isn't appealed as I think that'll probably be rescinded.

I know we were baying for it last night on 08:38 - Sep 14 with 1574 viewsBlueRaider

I know we were baying for it last night on 08:34 - Sep 14 by Cheltenham_Blue

I said Chaplin was going away from goal, and it wasn't, to me a clear goalscoring opportunity.

Except the FA never do what you'd expect, remember Liam Trotter ?

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

I know we were baying for it last night on 08:44 - Sep 14 with 1531 viewsExiled2Surrey

I think they will appeal and that they will not get it rescinded - the debate we are having suggests there is sufficient doubt, and that will mean they will back the ref - they always seem to have done so in the past. But I guess they wont add additional games for trying the appeal as they did for Morsy.

Remind me - just a one match ban for each of those two? Does it matter that one was straight red and one was a second yellow? Neither were violent conduct

Thank goodness they only have Lincoln next - it would have been a bit of an own goal to weaken their side for a match against one of the top sides in the last 10 minutes of a game we we had already effectively won!
I know we were baying for it last night on 08:48 - Sep 14 with 1494 viewsWhos_blue

And I don't think I said you didn't think it was a foul!
This could go on and on!

I thought Chaplin looked strong as he ran through.
As you say, a yellow card foul, but upgraded to red as he was the last player.

Not seen the highlights, but will have a look later. Happy to be wrong. Just calling it as I saw it last night.

I know we were baying for it last night on 08:54 - Sep 14 with 1440 viewsBlueBlood90

Incredible that they had two players sent off and neither were for that blatant stamp on Lee Evans.

Poll: How many points will we get from Coventry and Huddersfield?

I know we were baying for it last night on 09:03 - Sep 14 with 1399 viewsGarv

I know we were baying for it last night on 08:54 - Sep 14 by BlueBlood90

Incredible that they had two players sent off and neither were for that blatant stamp on Lee Evans.

That was a fuss over nothing, have you seen it back?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Login to get fewer ads

I know we were baying for it last night on 09:04 - Sep 14 with 1391 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I know we were baying for it last night on 09:03 - Sep 14 by Garv

That was a fuss over nothing, have you seen it back?

It was definitely a stamp.

I know we were baying for it last night on 09:05 - Sep 14 with 1382 viewsJ2BLUE

Blatant red. He knew precisely what he was doing. His own stupidity cost him. They had already lost and he decides it's better to take a red than potentially concede a third.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I know we were baying for it last night on 09:07 - Sep 14 with 1369 viewsHighgateBlue

I think it's pretty 50:50 in terms of whether it's a straight red.

It was a fair old distance from goal, and the direction of play was heading diagonally rather than straight towards goal. However, he would otherwise have retained the ball, there were no other defenders in his way, and it was on that basis an obvious goal-scoring opportunity in my view. Not clear cut though, in terms either of the obviousness of the opportunity, or the direction of the attacker.

One of the problems of perception is that the rules don't distinguish between an innocuous coming together of heels and a more deliberate (albeit non-violent) pull. I think most wouldn't question a red if it had been a case of the latter, even though the nature of the foul itself isn't really relevant (unless it's "serious" or "violent" and hence a red for that reason).

The part of the law that's relevant to the second sending off is below.

"SENDING-OFF OFFENCES

A player, substitute or substituted player who commits any of the following offences is sent off:
denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a handball offence (except a goalkeeper within their penalty area)
denying a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent whose overall movement is towards the offender's goal by an offence punishable by a free kick (unless as outlined below)
serious foul play
biting or spitting at someone
violent conduct
using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or action(s)
receiving a second caution in the same match
entering the video operation room (VOR)
A player, substitute or substituted player who has been sent off must leave the vicinity of the field of play and the technical area.

DENYING A GOAL OR AN OBVIOUS GOAL-SCORING OPPORTUNITY (DOGSO)

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offender is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling,
pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off.

Where a player denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a handball offence, the player is sent off wherever the offence occurs (except a goalkeeper within their penalty area).

A player, sent-off player, substitute or substituted player who enters the field of play without the required referee's permission and interferes with play or an opponent and denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity is guilty of a sending-off offence.

The following must be considered:

distance between the offence and the goal
general direction of the play
likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball
location and number of defenders"
I know we were baying for it last night on 09:08 - Sep 14 with 1352 viewsEastTownBlue

I can certainly see them appealing as I was surprised at the time that the was sent off.

Having watched again this morning it is the lack of any other defenders nearby that has cost him there and can now see why he has gone.

Anyway, this is what is mentioned in the laws about what determines the red card.

The following must be considered:

-distance between the offence and the goal
-general direction of the play
-likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball
-location and number of defenders
I know we were baying for it last night on 09:09 - Sep 14 with 1329 viewsEly_Blue

I know we were baying for it last night on 09:04 - Sep 14 by Cheltenham_Blue

And so was the lash out by Evans as he got up deliberate too……. Can’t call one and not the other

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

I know we were baying for it last night on 09:14 - Sep 14 with 1254 viewsSitfcB

Blatant red card. He didn’t have many complaints.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

I know we were baying for it last night on 09:15 - Sep 14 with 1240 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I know we were baying for it last night on 09:09 - Sep 14 by Ely_Blue

And so was the lash out by Evans as he got up deliberate too……. Can’t call one and not the other

Don't think Evans made contact though did he? Just managed to flick the ball up over his head?

I know we were baying for it last night on 09:16 - Sep 14 with 1228 viewsEly_Blue

I know we were baying for it last night on 09:15 - Sep 14 by Cheltenham_Blue

Don't think Evans made contact though did he? Just managed to flick the ball up over his head?

Intent!

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

I know we were baying for it last night on 09:17 - Sep 14 with 1207 viewsusm

just a yellow for me. Stupid of him but not deserving of a straight red in my opinion.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

I know we were baying for it last night on 09:19 - Sep 14 with 1189 viewsGarv

I know we were baying for it last night on 09:04 - Sep 14 by Cheltenham_Blue

If you're giving reds for that you're giving two or three a game.

I know Evans made a thing of it and there was a little tangle between them but people really shouldn't be wanting players sent off for such insignificant incidents.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

I know we were baying for it last night on 09:22 - Sep 14 with 1156 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I know we were baying for it last night on 09:19 - Sep 14 by Garv

If you're giving reds for that you're giving two or three a game.

I know Evans made a thing of it and there was a little tangle between them but people really shouldn't be wanting players sent off for such insignificant incidents.

And yet Sitters has the foul we started talking about as a "blatant red".

I know we were baying for it last night by SitfcB 14 Sep 2022 9:14
Blatant red card. He didn’t have many complaints.

Football fans are odd.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2022 9:22]

I know we were baying for it last night on 09:22 - Sep 14 with 1145 viewsMookamoo

Possibly, but he was, by quite a distance, the last defender and with one touch Chaplin would be on in goal. No way they'll over turn that.
I know we were baying for it last night on 09:24 - Sep 14 with 1131 viewsberkstractorboy

It deserved red. The sooner these players stop these "professional" fouls and let the game carry on the better. He knew he was denying a goal soring opportunity and made no fuss about the decision.
I know we were baying for it last night on 09:34 - Sep 14 with 1103 viewsGuthrum

He was the "last man", bit of a technical sending off. Don't think the trip was deliberate, either. Somewhat unfortunate for Kilgour.

But he did commit a foul and thus stopped Chaplin having a run on goal.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I know we were baying for it last night on 09:41 - Sep 14 with 1060 viewsExiled2Surrey

Compare to Davis at the end of the first half in the build up to their shot that hit the post - situation was quite similar in that there was a dangerous fast break from their forward, he had the opportunity to take their player down, but just manoeuvred himself goalside and prevented the cross instead - looks like he learned his lesson from Bolton
I know we were baying for it last night on 09:42 - Sep 14 with 1053 viewsWhos_blue

I know we were baying for it last night on 09:34 - Sep 14 by Guthrum

He was the "last man", bit of a technical sending off. Don't think the trip was deliberate, either. Somewhat unfortunate for Kilgour.

But he did commit a foul and thus stopped Chaplin having a run on goal.

Just seen the reply and you've called it spot on.
Very little intent, but a foul by the last player and therefore a red.
At the pace Chaplin was running, I would have expected him to run through on goal.
Harsh, but the right decision.
Be interesting to hear Barton's thoughts on it.

I know we were baying for it last night on 10:08 - Sep 14 with 937 viewsPinewoodblue

I know we were baying for it last night on 09:42 - Sep 14 by Whos_blue

Just seen the reply and you've called it spot on.
Very little intent, but a foul by the last player and therefore a red.
At the pace Chaplin was running, I would have expected him to run through on goal.
Harsh, but the right decision.
Be interesting to hear Barton's thoughts on it.

See Phil’s report on post match comments from both managers.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024