Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Man Utd fans chanting Cantona's name at the ground where he Kung Fu 20:07 - Jan 18 with 3670 viewsNthsuffolkblue

kicked a fan!

Hmm.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Man Utd fans chanting Cantona's name at the ground where he Kung Fu on 20:18 - Jan 18 with 2656 viewsLord_Lucan

He kicked an idiot.

We all lose our head sometimes.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Man Utd fans chanting Cantona's name at the ground where he Kung Fu on 20:20 - Jan 18 with 2662 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Man Utd fans chanting Cantona's name at the ground where he Kung Fu on 20:18 - Jan 18 by Lord_Lucan

He kicked an idiot.

That is absolutely true and I have every sympathy with Cantona over what he did. Just not sure it is a great look celebrating that particular act.

Man Utd fans chanting Cantona's name at the ground where he Kung Fu on 20:27 - Jan 18 with 2626 viewsLord_Lucan

Man Utd fans chanting Cantona's name at the ground where he Kung Fu on 20:20 - Jan 18 by Nthsuffolkblue

That is absolutely true and I have every sympathy with Cantona over what he did. Just not sure it is a great look celebrating that particular act.

Oh come on, how much do we want to sanitise football? How far do we want to go to completely spoil terrace culture?

What is the end game?

How far do we want to go in the world in general to highlight, moan and question every bloody thing?
[Post edited 18 Jan 2023 20:27]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Man Utd fans chanting Cantona's name at the ground where he Kung Fu on 20:30 - Jan 18 with 2595 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Man Utd fans chanting Cantona's name at the ground where he Kung Fu on 20:27 - Jan 18 by Lord_Lucan

Oh come on, how much do we want to sanitise football? How far do we want to go to completely spoil terrace culture?

What is the end game?

How far do we want to go in the world in general to highlight, moan and question every bloody thing?

Odd take.

Man Utd fans chanting Cantona's name at the ground where he Kung Fu on 20:33 - Jan 18 with 2574 viewsxrayspecs

Man Utd fans chanting Cantona's name at the ground where he Kung Fu on 20:20 - Jan 18 by Nthsuffolkblue

I agree, he should have timed it better and properly cleaned him out.

Celebrating handbags, football has gone..
[Post edited 18 Jan 2023 20:35]
Man Utd fans chanting Cantona's name at the ground where he Kung Fu on 20:34 - Jan 18 with 2574 viewsSitfcB

Yeah, and??

That’s the point.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2023 20:34]

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Man Utd fans chanting Cantona's name at the ground where he Kung Fu on 20:36 - Jan 18 with 2508 viewsJ2BLUE

Man Utd fans chanting Cantona's name at the ground where he Kung Fu on 20:30 - Jan 18 by Nthsuffolkblue

Odd take.

I don't think it is. We should target abuse but, as much as I despise the word, 'banter' should be allowed.

There's nothing wrong with this.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Man Utd fans chanting Cantona's name at the ground where he Kung Fu on 20:37 - Jan 18 with 2490 viewsIllinoisblue

Dear Points of View, I am foomin’

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Login to get fewer ads

Man Utd fans chanting Cantona's name at the ground where he Kung Fu on 20:38 - Jan 18 with 2476 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Kicked a racist 25 years ago?

Oh, the outrage.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Man Utd fans chanting Cantona's name at the ground where he Kung Fu on 20:39 - Jan 18 with 2450 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Man Utd fans chanting Cantona's name at the ground where he Kung Fu on 20:27 - Jan 18 by Lord_Lucan

What is the end game?

This.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Man Utd fans chanting Cantona's name at the ground where he Kung Fu on 20:40 - Jan 18 with 2446 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Man Utd fans chanting Cantona's name at the ground where he Kung Fu on 20:36 - Jan 18 by J2BLUE

I don't think it is. We should target abuse but, as much as I despise the word, 'banter' should be allowed.

There's nothing wrong with this.

Just found it a strange thing for them to celebrate. I didn't mean it was something that should have any action taken over it. I was expressing surprise rather than outrage.

Man Utd fans chanting Cantona's name at the ground where he Kung Fu on 20:43 - Jan 18 with 2435 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Man Utd fans chanting Cantona's name at the ground where he Kung Fu on 20:38 - Jan 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

Kicked a racist 25 years ago?

Oh, the outrage.

Was he racist? I thought he was just an unpleasant thug who said something about Cantona's Mum that he took particular exception to.

I just think it is a strange thing for them to celebrate. Perhaps if they see it as some stance against racism I am the one missing the point.

And I repeat I am not outraged by it, I just found it odd.

I love Cantona.... on 20:43 - Jan 18 with 2438 viewsBloots

....I think he's one of the greatest, if not the greatest, players of the "Premier League" era.

He was also really cool.

And he's got even cooler since he's got older.

Absolute legend.

AKA - "Elite Pete"

I love Cantona.... on 20:45 - Jan 18 with 2425 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I love Cantona.... on 20:43 - Jan 18 by Bloots

....I think he's one of the greatest, if not the greatest, players of the "Premier League" era.

He was also really cool.

Absolute legend.

Indeed. A player who ought to be remembered for his amazing skill and strange persona and comments rather than moment of madness as understandable as it may have been.

Man Utd fans chanting Cantona's name at the ground where he Kung Fu on 20:49 - Jan 18 with 2371 viewsPendejo

Man Utd fans chanting Cantona's name at the ground where he Kung Fu on 20:40 - Jan 18 by Nthsuffolkblue

Just found it a strange thing for them to celebrate. I didn't mean it was something that should have any action taken over it. I was expressing surprise rather than outrage.

Cantona has been in the UK promoting something or other, so he is sort of current, or Maybe they've recognised Matthew Simmons in the ground?
[Post edited 18 Jan 2023 20:50]

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

I love Cantona.... on 20:51 - Jan 18 with 2339 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I love Cantona.... on 20:45 - Jan 18 by Nthsuffolkblue

Indeed. A player who ought to be remembered for his amazing skill and strange persona and comments rather than moment of madness as understandable as it may have been.

Ok so when the United fans sung ‘ooh ahh Eric cantona’ there which part of that chant was not celebrating his ‘amazing skill and strange persona and comments rather than moment of madness as understandable as it may have been’?

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Man Utd fans chanting Cantona's name at the ground where he Kung Fu on 21:01 - Jan 18 with 2228 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Man Utd fans chanting Cantona's name at the ground where he Kung Fu on 20:49 - Jan 18 by Pendejo

Cantona has been in the UK promoting something or other, so he is sort of current, or Maybe they've recognised Matthew Simmons in the ground?
[Post edited 18 Jan 2023 20:50]

Fair enough if it is just the commentator making the link rather than that being the motivation.

Man Utd fans chanting Cantona's name at the ground where he Kung Fu on 21:09 - Jan 18 with 2193 viewsSwansea_Blue

Hoo! Ha!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I love Cantona.... on 21:13 - Jan 18 with 2174 viewsMelford

He was also really cool.

Absolute legend.

This is brilliant. Just this one sentence then ***ks off, massive 2 fingers to the media. Zero ***ks given.

Compare that to those Aussies after sandpapergate crying their eyes out and begging for forgiveness.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Man Utd fans chanting Cantona's name at the ground where he Kung Fu on 21:31 - Jan 18 with 2087 viewsChurchman

Man Utd fans chanting Cantona's name at the ground where he Kung Fu on 20:18 - Jan 18 by Lord_Lucan

He kicked an idiot.

And the idiot deserved it. Of course Cantona should have ignored Harding and risen above it. But everyone has their breaking point and I could fully understand why Cantona piled in.
Man Utd fans chanting Cantona's name at the ground where he Kung Fu on 21:32 - Jan 18 with 2087 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Man Utd fans chanting Cantona's name at the ground where he Kung Fu on 20:43 - Jan 18 by Nthsuffolkblue

Was he racist? I thought he was just an unpleasant thug who said something about Cantona's Mum that he took particular exception to.

I just think it is a strange thing for them to celebrate. Perhaps if they see it as some stance against racism I am the one missing the point.

And I repeat I am not outraged by it, I just found it odd.

I really don't see an issue with it.

Cantonas version of events;

Cantona's defence denied this version of events, claiming what Simmons had actually shouted, "F*** off back to France you French bastard", before dubbing the Manchester United forward a "French animal" and his mother a "French whore".

Man Utd fans chanting Cantona's name at the ground where he Kung Fu on 21:41 - Jan 18 with 2012 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Man Utd fans chanting Cantona's name at the ground where he Kung Fu on 21:32 - Jan 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

I really don't see an issue with it.

Cantonas version of events;

Cantona's defence denied this version of events, claiming what Simmons had actually shouted, "F*** off back to France you French bastard", before dubbing the Manchester United forward a "French animal" and his mother a "French whore".

An obnoxious thug who got what he deserved but that isn't racist. Xenophobic, yes, racist, no.

As I have said throughout, not saying it is an unacceptable chant at all (see the OP - "hmm" not "disgraceful they should be charged"!), more I thought it was a strange reason to choose to celebrate him.

As has been pointed out, it is possible the commentator drawing that conclusion was wrong.

I love Cantona.... on 21:51 - Jan 18 with 1971 viewsMullet

He was also really cool.

Absolute legend.

However embellished this is or not, I love the imagery it conjures

https://www.givemesport.com/1826968-alex-fergusons-legendary-dressing-room-react

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Man Utd fans chanting Cantona's name at the ground where he Kung Fu on 21:59 - Jan 18 with 1893 viewsLord_Lucan

Man Utd fans chanting Cantona's name at the ground where he Kung Fu on 21:41 - Jan 18 by Nthsuffolkblue

An obnoxious thug who got what he deserved but that isn't racist. Xenophobic, yes, racist, no.

As I have said throughout, not saying it is an unacceptable chant at all (see the OP - "hmm" not "disgraceful they should be charged"!), more I thought it was a strange reason to choose to celebrate him.

As has been pointed out, it is possible the commentator drawing that conclusion was wrong.

Ok

To be honest I'm a bit down in the dumps at the moment so not sure why I can be bothered - however, I gotta say.....

Why is this not racist?

If he said - "F*** off back to Pakistan you Pakistani bastard"

Would that be racist? All we have done is change the country.

I love Cantona.... on 22:00 - Jan 18 with 1883 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I love Cantona.... on 21:51 - Jan 18 by Mullet

However embellished this is or not, I love the imagery it conjures

https://www.givemesport.com/1826968-alex-fergusons-legendary-dressing-room-react

Never read that before. It is brilliant. Especially David May's version of it.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024