Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Odds Checker has us at 2-1 to make the playoffs. 08:43 - May 30 with 3786 viewsMercian

Behind the 3 relegated teams and Middlesbrough. I think that is a little generous as IMO Watford, West Brom and even that lot up the road are better equipped. Nice to know we are not seen as relegation fodder though.
Odds Checker has us at 2-1 to make the playoffs. on 08:52 - May 30 with 3359 viewsvilanovablue

In fairness we are coming into next season with a fair few players who are championship ready. Depending on our summer signings I think it is not unrealistic to think we might challenge for the play-offs. I could of course be being over optimistic :)
[Post edited 30 May 2023 8:52]
Odds Checker has us at 2-1 to make the playoffs. on 08:55 - May 30 with 3335 viewsTractorCam

Our squad is already Championship quality before we even make any additions, you know this by the fact we've been demolishing the league 2/3/4-0 for the last three months. We're better equipped than Norwich and Watford, who are both a mess.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Odds Checker has us at 2-1 to make the playoffs. on 08:56 - May 30 with 3321 viewsHerbivore

Have you seen Norwich lately? We'd batter them.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Odds Checker has us at 2-1 to make the playoffs. on 09:03 - May 30 with 3246 viewstractordownsouth

Agreed we’re too short but Watford won’t be up there. They’re losing lots of players who are unlikely to be replaced and without a talent advantage on the pitch, I think their model of hiring and firing managers will go tits up.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Odds Checker has us at 2-1 to make the playoffs. on 09:08 - May 30 with 3221 viewsMetal_Hacker

I think there's a way to go yet

Let's see how the recruitment goes and how it effects the balance of those concerned at the top end of those odds

For me I think we're in a really good position but at the same time I feel we could be a lot better position with key areas that need sorting.We can't afford to start next season like we did last without our intended striker target if we're to make the Top 6 in this in the Champ .Next season will be a lot more unforgiving I'd suggest but the positive is we're halfway there with those players already "in the building"

If we can recruit like we did last Jan in terms of quality and from a higher level then there's no reason why we can't push on BUT the next month or so will be massive for us

Boro' will attract players as they've got a good young manager and were in the mix last season.

Leeds for obvious reasons - money innit

Southampton - not so sure with their new manager but money will talk

Leicester - see above ref money

Sunderland -= perhaps drawing on this season's experience could go again

A Surprise Package - which normally happens

That's 6 already without putting too much thought into it - I'm confident BUT this transfer window is massive for us I feel

Get it right and we're in with a massive opportunity

Poll: If it were one or the other

Odds Checker has us at 2-1 to make the playoffs. on 09:11 - May 30 with 3199 viewsnodge_blue

Odds Checker has us at 2-1 to make the playoffs. on 09:08 - May 30 by Metal_Hacker

Let's see how the recruitment goes and how it effects the balance of those concerned at the top end of those odds

For me I think we're in a really good position but at the same time I feel we could be a lot better position with key areas that need sorting.We can't afford to start next season like we did last without our intended striker target if we're to make the Top 6 in this in the Champ .Next season will be a lot more unforgiving I'd suggest but the positive is we're halfway there with those players already "in the building"

If we can recruit like we did last Jan in terms of quality and from a higher level then there's no reason why we can't push on BUT the next month or so will be massive for us

Boro' will attract players as they've got a good young manager and were in the mix last season.

That's 6 already without putting too much thought into it - I'm confident BUT this transfer window is massive for us I feel

I read that leicester are coming down with the highest wage bill ever. Currently 180 million. Theres about 8 players out of contract but even so, youd say they will need a rebalance and a rebuild.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Odds Checker has us at 2-1 to make the playoffs. on 09:13 - May 30 with 3177 viewsHerbivore

Odds Checker has us at 2-1 to make the playoffs. on 09:08 - May 30 by Metal_Hacker

It's rare that all three relegated sides make the top 6 though, usually one or two of them find it very hard work, as was the case this season. Leicester will be unrecognisable I imagine, Southampton don't have a lot of quality imo, and Leeds will lose a few and seem massively flakey.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Odds Checker has us at 2-1 to make the playoffs. on 09:15 - May 30 with 3153 viewsMetal_Hacker

Odds Checker has us at 2-1 to make the playoffs. on 09:11 - May 30 by nodge_blue

I read that leicester are coming down with the highest wage bill ever. Currently 180 million. Theres about 8 players out of contract but even so, youd say they will need a rebalance and a rebuild.

A lot of that will move on obviously as we all know but not all of that will and with those bloody parachute payments it'll help for a season at least

It's going to be an interesting season that's for sure

Login to get fewer ads

Odds Checker has us at 2-1 to make the playoffs. on 09:19 - May 30 with 3126 viewsMetal_Hacker

Odds Checker has us at 2-1 to make the playoffs. on 09:13 - May 30 by Herbivore

It's rare that all three relegated sides make the top 6 though, usually one or two of them find it very hard work, as was the case this season. Leicester will be unrecognisable I imagine, Southampton don't have a lot of quality imo, and Leeds will lose a few and seem massively flakey.

I would agree Herbs but they'll be up there somewhere or at least we'll have to navigate passed them.

Those I mentioned are not necessarily in any order or my top 6 , was just an indication of where we will be starting I suppose

It'll be interesting and I can't wait to see who we have in mind to bring to the party

Odds Checker has us at 2-1 to make the playoffs. on 09:19 - May 30 with 3131 viewsRegencyBlue

I think the current squad could comfortably finish mid-table but the recruitment during the summer will decide whether we have a chance of making the playoffs or not.
Odds Checker has us at 2-1 to make the playoffs. on 09:47 - May 30 with 2960 viewsbaxterbasics

Might be an obvious point here, but I feel the vital thing, as much as squad improvements, is maintaining the cohesion and spirit we saw amongst the current team in the second half of the season. Quality signings are important, but there is always potential to upset the balance. We still have bad memories of what happened when Burley 'improved' the team after the successful prem run.

KM and the rest of the backroom have more than earned our trust on this. If they get it right then top six does not feel overly ambitious.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Odds Checker has us at 2-1 to make the playoffs. on 09:51 - May 30 with 2939 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Not sure there’s any point taking part in the Championship next season. According to OwlStalk, Weds should be 1/1000 on to p1ss the title with just a couple of signings. We should just hand them the title now. Incredibly just two games ago all their players were old, unmotivated and should be released at the end of the season.

Much hilarity.
Odds Checker has us at 2-1 to make the playoffs. on 09:56 - May 30 with 2905 viewsDarth_Koont

A little generous as you say. But certainly not ridiculous.

Personally, I’m expecting mid-table as we should be settled enough and good enough to gather decent points. But I’m hoping that our confidence and momentum going into the season can push us even higher.

Challenging for the play-offs is at least a reasonable target to aim for. Being in the top 6 by the end of the season would be a hell of an achievement though and more than the 50/50 chance suggested by the odds.

Pronouns: He/Him

Odds Checker has us at 2-1 to make the playoffs. on 10:00 - May 30 with 2873 viewsHighgateBlue

Odds Checker has us at 2-1 to make the playoffs. on 09:56 - May 30 by Darth_Koont

A little generous as you say. But certainly not ridiculous.

Personally, I’m expecting mid-table as we should be settled enough and good enough to gather decent points. But I’m hoping that our confidence and momentum going into the season can push us even higher.

Challenging for the play-offs is at least a reasonable target to aim for. Being in the top 6 by the end of the season would be a hell of an achievement though and more than the 50/50 chance suggested by the odds.

Surely evens (1/1) indicates a 50% or 50/50 chance?

(In a perfect market) 2/1 against indicates that the outcome is considered twice as likely not to happen as not happen. So the quoted odds indicate an implied probability of 33.333% that we will make the playoffs.
Odds Checker has us at 2-1 to make the playoffs. on 10:07 - May 30 with 2831 viewsburnbudgiesburn

We could do a 2000-01 and catch teams off guard with the technical ability of our team and having that 'unknown factor' when playing us.

Data & analysis are on a whole different level from then so I guess maybe that doesn't factor in as much these days.

I'm looking forward to seeing our style in the Champ, you would think teams at this level will be better at the press than we've been used to so prepare to have kittens everytime Walton tries to lure the other team on to us! Thankfully I don't think we'll see much of the low block next season, and how good will it be to see proper football clubs at PR week in week out again.

Let's never visit Fleetwood again please.
Odds Checker has us at 2-1 to make the playoffs. on 10:23 - May 30 with 2746 viewsDarth_Koont

Odds Checker has us at 2-1 to make the playoffs. on 10:00 - May 30 by HighgateBlue

Surely evens (1/1) indicates a 50% or 50/50 chance?

(In a perfect market) 2/1 against indicates that the outcome is considered twice as likely not to happen as not happen. So the quoted odds indicate an implied probability of 33.333% that we will make the playoffs.

I don’t do betting so 7/4 you’re right.

At any rate, a 1 in 3 chance of the play-offs feels about right.

Pronouns: He/Him

Odds Checker has us at 2-1 to make the playoffs. on 10:30 - May 30 with 2725 viewsSomethingBlue

There's an awareness that we have a style suited to the Championship, a lot of momentum and also a lot more money than most. I'm personally a little more hesitant, it'd be good to see us consolidate somewhere between 10th-14th early on and then see if we can push from there. If we can't but the football is good then, at this point, never mind. For what it's worth I think anyone who expects Norwich — as one example — not to sort themselves out at least to some extent in pre-season will be pretty disappointed. Going to be an almighty dogfight of a season anyway, looks very hard to predict.
[Post edited 30 May 2023 10:30]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Odds Checker has us at 2-1 to make the playoffs. on 10:50 - May 30 with 2636 viewsPinewoodblue

Odds Checker has us at 2-1 to make the playoffs. on 10:30 - May 30 by SomethingBlue

There's an awareness that we have a style suited to the Championship, a lot of momentum and also a lot more money than most. I'm personally a little more hesitant, it'd be good to see us consolidate somewhere between 10th-14th early on and then see if we can push from there. If we can't but the football is good then, at this point, never mind. For what it's worth I think anyone who expects Norwich — as one example — not to sort themselves out at least to some extent in pre-season will be pretty disappointed. Going to be an almighty dogfight of a season anyway, looks very hard to predict.
[Post edited 30 May 2023 10:30]

There is also, for Town fans at least, the knowledge we will be in a position to strengthen in the January window.

With regards to playing style don’t be surprised if we make changes, dependent of course on signings. Could easily see us playing with a proper back three next season.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Odds Checker has us at 2-1 to make the playoffs. on 11:08 - May 30 with 2567 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Odds Checker has us at 2-1 to make the playoffs. on 09:47 - May 30 by baxterbasics

Might be an obvious point here, but I feel the vital thing, as much as squad improvements, is maintaining the cohesion and spirit we saw amongst the current team in the second half of the season. Quality signings are important, but there is always potential to upset the balance. We still have bad memories of what happened when Burley 'improved' the team after the successful prem run.

KM and the rest of the backroom have more than earned our trust on this. If they get it right then top six does not feel overly ambitious.

Cohesion is a really important factor. Teams coming down or otherwise revamping (i.e. Nodge) are likely going to need a bit of time to gel once they've sorted themselves out. We're already there, fully ready to go and expecting a few additions rather than mass changes. That's why buying with the Champ in mind was such a good thing - hit the ground running while others are still trying on trainers and doing their laces up.

Whether we have enough extra quality remains to be seen but that cohesion and momentum has helped newly promoted teams in the past.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Odds Checker has us at 2-1 to make the playoffs. on 11:10 - May 30 with 2557 viewsGuthrum

Odds Checker has us at 2-1 to make the playoffs. on 10:50 - May 30 by Pinewoodblue

There is also, for Town fans at least, the knowledge we will be in a position to strengthen in the January window.

With regards to playing style don’t be surprised if we make changes, dependent of course on signings. Could easily see us playing with a proper back three next season.

We can't expect to dominate teams so often as we did last season, so Town are probably going to have to compromise a bit on the defence:attack ratio. That having been said, there are less likely to be so many 10-men-behind-the-ball packed areas we have to force or work our way through - tho the defenders themselves will be bigger and more skilful.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Odds Checker has us at 2-1 to make the playoffs. on 11:23 - May 30 with 2492 viewsLankHenners

Have a feeling that it's just our luck that, having looked a little weak whilst we've been out of it, on our return the Championship will be very strong next season.

Think Southampton still have a good Championship team once you strip away the better players that will surely be sold then they'll use the money from that to bolster a bit, though I can't see Martin being that great a fit for them as manager. Leeds probably similar but could find it difficult if they lose some of their better younger players, and Leicester will surely have to 'do a Burnley' to some degree as they have several players out of contract and will sell anyone they can get a worthwhile fee for. Tough to judge them but feel they'll either be right up there or flounder a bit like Watford have.

Likes of Middlesborough, Coventry, Millwall, Blackburn, West Brom will be strong again if not push on, Sunderland will have to replace likes of Diallo and Gelhardt but you'd expect them to be hovering around the fringes of the top 6, then there'll be a couple more or so that will sort themselves out and be very competitive.

Think we'll be the strongest of the promoted teams fairly comfortably, we've got a strong squad which we'll add to and our style of play combined with our fitness/physicality suits the league. Tedious as it became towards the end of the season, Plymouth's 'us against the world' mentality might see them catch a few teams out and whilst they've got to replace a lot of loans, they've shown to be canny recruiters. Generally speaking though think Champ level teams will have too much for them. Wednesday are another Rotherham basically, use brute force to win games rather than that much quality, relatively speaking. If they don't evolve their style I can't see them doing much better than lower mid table at absolute best.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Odds Checker has us at 2-1 to make the playoffs. on 13:03 - May 30 with 2256 viewsIllinoisblue

Odds Checker has us at 2-1 to make the playoffs. on 11:23 - May 30 by LankHenners

Have a feeling that it's just our luck that, having looked a little weak whilst we've been out of it, on our return the Championship will be very strong next season.

Think Southampton still have a good Championship team once you strip away the better players that will surely be sold then they'll use the money from that to bolster a bit, though I can't see Martin being that great a fit for them as manager. Leeds probably similar but could find it difficult if they lose some of their better younger players, and Leicester will surely have to 'do a Burnley' to some degree as they have several players out of contract and will sell anyone they can get a worthwhile fee for. Tough to judge them but feel they'll either be right up there or flounder a bit like Watford have.

Likes of Middlesborough, Coventry, Millwall, Blackburn, West Brom will be strong again if not push on, Sunderland will have to replace likes of Diallo and Gelhardt but you'd expect them to be hovering around the fringes of the top 6, then there'll be a couple more or so that will sort themselves out and be very competitive.

Think we'll be the strongest of the promoted teams fairly comfortably, we've got a strong squad which we'll add to and our style of play combined with our fitness/physicality suits the league. Tedious as it became towards the end of the season, Plymouth's 'us against the world' mentality might see them catch a few teams out and whilst they've got to replace a lot of loans, they've shown to be canny recruiters. Generally speaking though think Champ level teams will have too much for them. Wednesday are another Rotherham basically, use brute force to win games rather than that much quality, relatively speaking. If they don't evolve their style I can't see them doing much better than lower mid table at absolute best.

It is once again great timing from us to go from a ridiculously tough L1 season (so tough that 96 points didn’t get automatic) and right into what looks to be an incredibly competitive Championship. The hope is that the relegated clubs will be in turmoil for a good few months, and that we should in theory at least be better than the clubs we came up with. Whatever happens, it’ll be tough to get top six.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Odds Checker has us at 2-1 to make the playoffs. on 13:46 - May 30 with 2145 viewsMercian

Odds Checker has us at 2-1 to make the playoffs. on 09:19 - May 30 by Metal_Hacker

I would agree Herbs but they'll be up there somewhere or at least we'll have to navigate passed them.

Those I mentioned are not necessarily in any order or my top 6 , was just an indication of where we will be starting I suppose

It'll be interesting and I can't wait to see who we have in mind to bring to the party

Southampton have got some very good youngsters like Livramento, Bazunu, Alcaraz and Lavia who were not experienced enough to really cut in The Prem but could thrive next season. They also have a few good pros in their early prime. Ward-Prowse is real class but is likely to move on.
Odds Checker has us at 2-1 to make the playoffs. on 14:03 - May 30 with 2087 viewsjayessess

I think we've been nominated the official "Dark Horse".

To be honest, the more hype I hear, the less confident I feel.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Odds Checker has us at 2-1 to make the playoffs. on 15:09 - May 30 with 1971 viewsBlueBadger

Odds Checker has us at 2-1 to make the playoffs. on 14:03 - May 30 by jayessess

I think we've been nominated the official "Dark Horse".

To be honest, the more hype I hear, the less confident I feel.

Not gonna lie, I'd be fairly happy with good old 15th, next season.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024