Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Downes 17:25 - Aug 5 with 7252 viewsGarv

MOTM. Huge highlight, showed Skuse how to play midfield.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Downes on 17:26 - Aug 5 with 5960 viewsSarge

Skuse played well too. Would put Garner as my MoM, Downes definitely up there.
Downes on 17:27 - Aug 5 with 5938 viewsKieran_Knows

Bit harsh on Skuse today, that. He played well.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Downes on 17:28 - Aug 5 with 5919 viewsHerbivore

Skuse had a very good game. Such an odd feeling to see you taking utter guff.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Downes on 17:37 - Aug 5 with 5782 viewsjudespiveyg

Thought Dozzell was better than Downes. Skuse played OK, but I'd still drop him before Downes or Ward once Huws and Adeyemi are fit.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Downes on 17:42 - Aug 5 with 5707 viewsGarv

Downes on 17:28 - Aug 5 by Herbivore

Skuse had a very good game. Such an odd feeling to see you taking utter guff.

Didn't say he didn't play well, just that Downes played better, and showed how to play a positive deep lying midfield role.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Downes on 17:50 - Aug 5 with 5631 viewsHalifaxBlue

Thought Downes was brilliant, but would also say that he greatly benefited from having Skuse next to him. He is so aggressive, if Skuse wasn't next to him I think he would have left some pretty big holes. Honestly, I wouldn't have many complaints with Skuse and Downes together in a midfield three, Downes looks positive enough on the ball to get us playing forward.

Poll: Hurst or Ross, discounting any other candidates?

Downes on 17:54 - Aug 5 with 5595 viewsArnieM

Downes will be the Young player of the Year for us. He's an immense talent and is already head and shoulders above Dozzell and Bishop. Towns game changed when he came I for the sadly injured Dozzell, who is also a very good young player but IMO is currently far too lightweight for 1st team at present. I hope JD is soon back in the squad and recovers quickly.

As for the original poster stating Downes showing Skuse how to play midfield. What a joke you are mate! They play totally different types of role. The key thing is they compliment one another and each becomes that much more effective at their own roles when playing along side one another.

So Town have won against a very physical Brum team - and we had only half our first choice team out there today. Well played Town . Some decent flowing footie there today.

COYBs

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Downes on 17:57 - Aug 5 with 5566 viewsHerbivore

Downes on 17:42 - Aug 5 by Garv

Didn't say he didn't play well, just that Downes played better, and showed how to play a positive deep lying midfield role.

Had it occurred to you at all that playing alongside someone like Skuse helped Downes to have an impressive debut?

Login to get fewer ads

Downes on 18:03 - Aug 5 with 5512 viewsjudespiveyg

Downes on 17:54 - Aug 5 by ArnieM

Downes will be the Young player of the Year for us. He's an immense talent and is already head and shoulders above Dozzell and Bishop. Towns game changed when he came I for the sadly injured Dozzell, who is also a very good young player but IMO is currently far too lightweight for 1st team at present. I hope JD is soon back in the squad and recovers quickly.

As for the original poster stating Downes showing Skuse how to play midfield. What a joke you are mate! They play totally different types of role. The key thing is they compliment one another and each becomes that much more effective at their own roles when playing along side one another.

So Town have won against a very physical Brum team - and we had only half our first choice team out there today. Well played Town . Some decent flowing footie there today.

COYBs

Disagree with you on Dozzell, only player in the team who can pass a football. Downes was good but Dozzell was excellent.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Downes on 18:05 - Aug 5 with 5502 viewspointofblue

As much as I like Dozzell and think he could be an important player for us moving forward, injuries permitting, I think the balance of the midfield looked far better when Downes came on. Him, Skuse and Ward seemed to compliment each other really well. Will be nice to have competition and cover once Adeyemi, Bishop, Huws and Hyam come back plus switches in formation from Celina and Rowe.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Downes on 18:08 - Aug 5 with 5478 viewsHerbivore

Downes on 18:03 - Aug 5 by judespiveyg

Disagree with you on Dozzell, only player in the team who can pass a football. Downes was good but Dozzell was excellent.

Dozzell did some nice stuff but I don't know how anyone who was at the game could say that Dozzell looked better than Downes.

Downes on 18:10 - Aug 5 with 5463 viewsSomethingBlue

Skuse was good today.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Downes on 18:13 - Aug 5 with 5405 viewsflimflam

Agree totally. He was the main reason we got the ball down and played second half. Always showing for the ball and confident to receive in tight situations.
He looked like the senior pro on our midfield. Will be one hell of a player if continues to develop.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Downes on 20:26 - Aug 5 with 5199 viewsitfcjoe

Downes on 18:08 - Aug 5 by Herbivore

Dozzell did some nice stuff but I don't know how anyone who was at the game could say that Dozzell looked better than Downes.

Downes did well, very well in fact - but Dozzell was dictating the whole tempo of our play - his passing through the lines is something else, that's game changing ability which puts him on another level to most of our players

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Downes on 20:29 - Aug 5 with 5180 viewschicoazul

Skuse was decent today, he even made a few forward runs when he knew he could count on Downes filling in for him.

Poor old Luke Hyam.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Downes on 20:31 - Aug 5 with 5164 viewsBlue_Order

Skuse was excellent imo. They complimented each other well in there.

Very excited about the young boy though, looks classy.
Downes on 20:31 - Aug 5 with 5164 viewschicoazul

COYBs

Dozzell was getting stuck in today against a couple of big lumps in midfield and looks like he has put some meat on so I don't agree at all that he is too lightweight.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2017 20:32]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Downes on 20:35 - Aug 5 with 5118 views3_5_2

Downes on 20:31 - Aug 5 by Blue_Order

Skuse was excellent imo. They complimented each other well in there.

Very excited about the young boy though, looks classy.

This

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Downes on 20:35 - Aug 5 with 5118 viewsTLA

Skuse and Downes were both very good, as was Dozzell - I thought Ward was the best player on the pitch in the second half.

It's good to be celebrating our midfield with a couple of the main men missing!
Downes on 22:01 - Aug 5 with 4960 viewsFreddies_Ears

Downes on 20:35 - Aug 5 by TLA

Skuse and Downes were both very good, as was Dozzell - I thought Ward was the best player on the pitch in the second half.

It's good to be celebrating our midfield with a couple of the main men missing!

Unfashionable view here, but Bart was superb today.

And for all his weaknesses, Knudsen delivered a couple of excellent crosses, one leading of course to the winner.

Garner is class btw, just as throughout pre-season.
Downes on 09:36 - Aug 6 with 4523 viewsHerbivore

Downes on 20:26 - Aug 5 by itfcjoe

Downes did well, very well in fact - but Dozzell was dictating the whole tempo of our play - his passing through the lines is something else, that's game changing ability which puts him on another level to most of our players

And yet we were far more effective in the second half with Downes on for Dozzell.

Downes on 09:40 - Aug 6 with 4500 viewstextbackup

skuse played like hes playing for his place in the team, pressed high up the pitch and got about. thought he played well personal.

downes was quality, easy to say he's the new hyam, but he's so much more than him

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Downes on 09:43 - Aug 6 with 4486 viewsSuperfrans

COYBs

Hopefully Downs will go from strength to strength. Important not to get carried away though, we've had players come through and get lost in the past - Carson being the best example, but Bishop too, Hyam maybe, Billy Clark. The toughest job is not just getting into the first team, it's staying there.

The most encouraging thing for me is that we have a string of young players coming through who can play a part over the coming years - Kenlock, Emmanuel, Andre, Flynn, Nydam etc.

All good.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Downes on 10:54 - Aug 6 with 4382 viewsitfcjoe

Downes on 09:36 - Aug 6 by Herbivore

And yet we were far more effective in the second half with Downes on for Dozzell.

That looked to me because the back 3 decided to talk to each other rather than the midfield

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Downes on 12:16 - Aug 6 with 4261 viewsmuccletonjoe

Downes on 18:08 - Aug 5 by Herbivore

Agree. And i was there. Thought dozzell worked himself into game before his injury and i hope it is not serious. Can only be good news for the club when we have someone like Downes to come on and take his place. Different type of player but the all action midfielder we have been needing for so long. We also have Nydam behind him who could be better than either when he gets his chance so it does bode well for the future of the club.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024