Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? 08:20 - Mar 9 with 11179 viewsitfcjoe

I must admit we did a bit of a shop yesterday to get some bits in - nothing major but because we use Hello Fresh we don't have much 'in stock' in the house so just bought some pasta, rice and a few tins.

Annoyingly we needed bog roll as it is and was basically sold out in first place we went - but we had to go elsewhere to get nappies and wipes as it is and they had one solitary pack left there!

I don't get why bog roll is seen as a necessity due to this virus?

Was speaking to a lady who runs a shop in Felixstowe and she said there are people queues up outside of Savers and Iceland(?) on the high street every morning for 20 minutes or so and coming out with huge amounts of things like Pot Noodles and Coffeemaid products!

Certain things will inevitably run out, as China has been shut down for a few weeks, and now Italy is too - but this sort of mental behaviour doesn't help anything!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? on 09:13 - Mar 9 with 5604 viewsBlueStreak

Of all the things I worry about running out of, loo roll isn't even on the list. i have a shower and that would do in the worst case scenario.
Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? on 09:16 - Mar 9 with 5586 viewsHerbivore

People are idiots. Panic buying is utterly ridiculous.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? on 09:18 - Mar 9 with 5571 viewsGuthrum

Stockpiling hand sanitizers by Guthrum 8 Mar 2020 10:44
It originated with an urban myth that all toilet paper is made in China (in some versions, specifically Wuhan) and that the Covid-19 lockdown in that region would result in a shortage of supplies. This is, obviously, not true - but spread rapidly via social media.

Again, hand sanitiser is anti-bacterial, it has no effect upon viruses (unless it has a very high alcohol content), other than the usual benefits of being clean. Ordinary soap is just as effective.

Panic buying then leads to criminals cashing in. There was an armed robbery of a loo roll delivery truck in China a few days ago. Profiteers are selling hand sanitiser for vastly inflated prices online.

The one which annoys me most directly is the hoovering up of paracetamol. I get migraine-type headaches and need the stuff to deal with that. All gone from my local Tesco yesterday (along with every shred of bogroll).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? on 09:23 - Mar 9 with 5527 viewsvapour_trail

Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? on 09:13 - Mar 9 by BlueStreak

Of all the things I worry about running out of, loo roll isn't even on the list. i have a shower and that would do in the worst case scenario.

I hope you’re stockpiling shower gel.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? on 09:24 - Mar 9 with 5520 viewsm14_blue

Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? on 09:18 - Mar 9 by Guthrum

Stockpiling hand sanitizers by Guthrum 8 Mar 2020 10:44
It originated with an urban myth that all toilet paper is made in China (in some versions, specifically Wuhan) and that the Covid-19 lockdown in that region would result in a shortage of supplies. This is, obviously, not true - but spread rapidly via social media.

Again, hand sanitiser is anti-bacterial, it has no effect upon viruses (unless it has a very high alcohol content), other than the usual benefits of being clean. Ordinary soap is just as effective.

Panic buying then leads to criminals cashing in. There was an armed robbery of a loo roll delivery truck in China a few days ago. Profiteers are selling hand sanitiser for vastly inflated prices online.

The one which annoys me most directly is the hoovering up of paracetamol. I get migraine-type headaches and need the stuff to deal with that. All gone from my local Tesco yesterday (along with every shred of bogroll).

I think it’s partly the psychology of the consumer too.

Loo rolls are big items that you can’t fit many of on a shelf, therefore they start to look empty very quickly which fuels more panic and then the cycle continues.
Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? on 09:28 - Mar 9 with 5497 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I wouldn’t class it as panic buying but I did buy a pack of bog roll early (was probably about a week away from needing to buy some) when shopping on Sunday as they had just stocked the shelves up and having heard stories of shops running out thought better to just grab some while it was there than be left using socks in a couple of weeks

Had the same problem as you with nappies last week and didn’t actually clock it was down to panic buying at the time - annoying had to grab a smaller more expensive pack than usual from the Tesco Express over the road. Next time I’m in Sainsburys if they have it I may well end up buying 2 packs rather than 1 just in case which I guess is panic buying, even if I’d argue it’s just making sure we don’t get caught in a situation where everyone else’s panic buying means we can’t get it (I guess that’s where these things really start to spiral)

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? on 09:33 - Mar 9 with 5477 viewsJ2BLUE

Nah not panic buying. Chucking a couple of extra items in the basket each time I enter a shop? Sure. Why wouldn't you? Things i'm buying are items I would use anyway with very long dates on. Wholewheat pasta, oats, jam, rice, cereal and oat milk.

That is one of each item. Probably acquired over 4 shops. Hardly panic buying but handy to have.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? on 09:42 - Mar 9 with 5430 viewsLord_Lucan

I hate panic buying, I refuse to panic buy out of principle, if I did panic buy I would be a hypocrite.

Yours sincerely

The sad man who will run out of toilet paper.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? on 09:42 - Mar 9 with 5419 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? on 09:33 - Mar 9 by J2BLUE

Nah not panic buying. Chucking a couple of extra items in the basket each time I enter a shop? Sure. Why wouldn't you? Things i'm buying are items I would use anyway with very long dates on. Wholewheat pasta, oats, jam, rice, cereal and oat milk.

That is one of each item. Probably acquired over 4 shops. Hardly panic buying but handy to have.

A speeding Chelsea tractor driver killed one of our chickens (RIP Sprinkles) so I am looking to panic buy another one.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? on 09:43 - Mar 9 with 5408 viewsStokieBlue

Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? on 09:16 - Mar 9 by Herbivore

Indeed.

Although I am running a touch low on wine, might not last two weeks self-isolation so might be an idea to top that up.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? on 09:44 - Mar 9 with 5400 viewsLord_Lucan

Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? on 09:43 - Mar 9 by StokieBlue

Indeed.

Although I am running a touch low on wine, might not last two weeks self-isolation so might be an idea to top that up.

SB

Lucan Top Tip

Self isolate in the pub.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? on 09:50 - Mar 9 with 5368 viewsGuthrum

Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? on 09:42 - Mar 9 by Lord_Lucan

I hate panic buying, I refuse to panic buy out of principle, if I did panic buy I would be a hypocrite.

Yours sincerely

The sad man who will run out of toilet paper.

I don't panic buy, but then I also keep a good stock of dried and tinned stuff, in case of sudden skintness, if nothing else.

Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? on 09:54 - Mar 9 with 5343 viewsfooters

Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? on 09:44 - Mar 9 by Lord_Lucan

Lucan Top Tip

Self isolate in the pub.

The people on the table next to us yesterday in the boozer spent about 10 minutes cleaning it down with wetwipes before they sat down... with face masks on. Absolutely crazy. If you're that worried, why bother going out in the first place?

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? on 09:54 - Mar 9 with 5342 viewsSwansea_Blue

I had to get some new tyres at the weekend and the guys were saying that they couldn't get new shipments of budgets (mostly made in China). Not the easiest things to panic buy though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? on 09:58 - Mar 9 with 5313 viewsGuthrum

Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? on 09:54 - Mar 9 by Swansea_Blue

I had to get some new tyres at the weekend and the guys were saying that they couldn't get new shipments of budgets (mostly made in China). Not the easiest things to panic buy though.

What if you drive one of these?

Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? on 10:03 - Mar 9 with 5290 viewsBlueBadger

Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? on 09:16 - Mar 9 by Herbivore

A lot of t he same people who are now panic buying are the same people who would loudly say things like 'project fear' and 'you can't trust experts'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? on 10:04 - Mar 9 with 5288 viewsGuthrum

Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? on 09:54 - Mar 9 by footers

The people on the table next to us yesterday in the boozer spent about 10 minutes cleaning it down with wetwipes before they sat down... with face masks on. Absolutely crazy. If you're that worried, why bother going out in the first place?

Did they just sit and look at the beer through their masks? Or did the (possibly contaminated) glasses touch their lips?

Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? on 10:05 - Mar 9 with 5276 viewsSwansea_Blue

Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? on 09:58 - Mar 9 by Guthrum

What if you drive one of these?

That's Ryorry's, def info.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? on 10:17 - Mar 9 with 5218 viewsfooters

Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? on 10:04 - Mar 9 by Guthrum

Did they just sit and look at the beer through their masks? Or did the (possibly contaminated) glasses touch their lips?

It was amusing to watch them take off the masks to have a sip and then put then back on. But the worst bit is they left half full pints. It's madness!

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? on 10:26 - Mar 9 with 5177 viewshampstead_blue

What is the fascination with bog roll? Use the shower if you've had a long wet one.

Crickey!

Edit; The only things we'd panic buy are gin, tonic, wine, and meat.
[Post edited 9 Mar 2020 10:27]

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? on 10:28 - Mar 9 with 5168 viewsjeera

Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? on 09:54 - Mar 9 by footers

Not the cleanest of places, pubs to be fair.

Landlords should make sure handles are wiped regularly (anyway!) but doubt too many bother.

But no, face masks in the pub doesn't work on any level.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? on 10:33 - Mar 9 with 5139 viewshampstead_blue

Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? on 10:28 - Mar 9 by jeera

Not the cleanest of places, pubs to be fair.

Landlords should make sure handles are wiped regularly (anyway!) but doubt too many bother.

But no, face masks in the pub doesn't work on any level.

I bet their drinks tasted of cloth and lint!

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? on 10:36 - Mar 9 with 5126 viewsjeera

Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? on 10:33 - Mar 9 by hampstead_blue

I bet their drinks tasted of cloth and lint!

I did wonder if they tried to keep them on whilst drinking.

Maybe some sort of funnel arrangement in the centre.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? on 10:52 - Mar 9 with 5085 viewsWeWereZombies

Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? on 10:03 - Mar 9 by BlueBadger

A lot of t he same people who are now panic buying are the same people who would loudly say things like 'project fear' and 'you can't trust experts'.

I believe the phrase in China now is 'you can't trust exports'...

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Anyone done any Coronavirus panic buying? on 11:15 - Mar 9 with 5003 viewsDebsyAngel

I am trying to get one packet of antibacterial wipes (I used them before all this anyway for some cleaning in the home), and we always try to stock up on loo roll but we get the 24 roll pack from Aldi and thankfully bought some last week. We also get a handwash for the bathroom and keep a spare one in stock. I wish there were hand gels available - again, this is something I have used in the home for years (like when preparing food or when taking bins in etc.) but would like to have one with me to use when I have to go out. i would not buy tons though - 1 or 2 a week, but think the gel should be distributed to every household during this as there is such a shortage.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024