Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? 22:42 - Apr 5 with 2563 viewsStokieBlue

On Scottish TV daily telling people not to travel unless absolutely essential and then heads off to her second home the last two weekends.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/apr/05/scotland-chief-medical-officer-s

Really helpful when trying to get people to obey the lockdown advice.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 22:44 - Apr 5 with 2250 viewslowhouseblue

she was thinking that no one would find out.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2020 22:44]

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 22:52 - Apr 5 with 2217 viewssparks

How on earth is she still in a job. Even 10 years ago, people took responsibility when they behaved poorly or incompetently. It is not longer the done thing.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 22:54 - Apr 5 with 2195 viewsElderGrizzly

Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 22:52 - Apr 5 by sparks

How on earth is she still in a job. Even 10 years ago, people took responsibility when they behaved poorly or incompetently. It is not longer the done thing.

She resigned about 30 minutes ago?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/apr/05/scotland-chief-medical-officer-s
Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 22:57 - Apr 5 with 2179 viewssparks

Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 22:54 - Apr 5 by ElderGrizzly

She resigned about 30 minutes ago?

Good.

Should have been straight away rather than making fawning half apologies on telly and then waiting hours.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 23:50 - Apr 5 with 2108 viewsRyorry

Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 22:57 - Apr 5 by sparks

Good.

Should have been straight away rather than making fawning half apologies on telly and then waiting hours.

Yes, don't know what Sturgeon can have been thinking in wanting her to stay on - Calderwood would literally have, in effect, had to say in future broadcasts - "do what I say, not what I do"!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 00:01 - Apr 6 with 2079 viewsLord_Lucan

I might be out on a limb here but if she is driving from her home direct to another one of her homes without coming into contact with anyone then what is the harm?

Or don't I know the whole story, actually I only caught a brief stint on the news.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 06:57 - Apr 6 with 1958 viewsm14_blue

Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 00:01 - Apr 6 by Lord_Lucan

I might be out on a limb here but if she is driving from her home direct to another one of her homes without coming into contact with anyone then what is the harm?

Or don't I know the whole story, actually I only caught a brief stint on the news.

It’s the exact opposite of the advice and guidance she’s been giving to the public in both press conferences and tv adverts. Advice she says must be followed in order to save lives and protect those working in the NHS.

As one journalist pointed out, people are missing family funerals and not seeing sick relatives but she was unwilling to sacrifice her weekends away.

It’s just baffling, she’s obviously incredibly intelligent, how on earth could she have been so stupid?
Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 07:21 - Apr 6 with 1936 viewsChurchman

Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 00:01 - Apr 6 by Lord_Lucan

In practical terms of spreading the virus I totally agree. However, she is a high profile person at the moment and with that carries certain responsibilities beyond her daytime job. She has to follow her own advice or the credibility of that advice and those giving it goes down the drain. It was an unbelievably stupid thing to do.
Login to get fewer ads

Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 07:53 - Apr 6 with 1875 viewsStokieBlue

It's against the government rules?

The same rules she was recorded on TV saying every day and then ignoring. It's an unbelievably selfish act when you are telling people not to see their families or friends.

"Do as I say, not as I do" implemented to it's fullest.

SB
[Post edited 6 Apr 2020 7:54]

Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 07:55 - Apr 6 with 1864 viewssparks

Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 07:53 - Apr 6 by StokieBlue

It's against the government rules?

The same rules she was recorded on TV saying every day and then ignoring. It's an unbelievably selfish act when you are telling people not to see their families or friends.

"Do as I say, not as I do" implemented to it's fullest.

SB
[Post edited 6 Apr 2020 7:54]

Quite. Simply empowers everyone else to make their own assessments of how much harm they ijmght do and act accordingly.

Added to that- one of the reasons for the rule is that you have big epicentres in cities. If people go back and forth between city and country each weekend, visiting their local shops etc etc, we quickly spread it out to areas that currently dont have an issue and have far fewer facilities...

Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 07:57 - Apr 6 with 1857 viewssparks

Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 07:55 - Apr 6 by sparks

Quite. Simply empowers everyone else to make their own assessments of how much harm they ijmght do and act accordingly.

Added to that- one of the reasons for the rule is that you have big epicentres in cities. If people go back and forth between city and country each weekend, visiting their local shops etc etc, we quickly spread it out to areas that currently dont have an issue and have far fewer facilities...

Good grief. I have read more...

"Ms Sturgeon said it was "clear" that Dr Calderwood's mistake "risks distracting from and undermining confidence in the government's public health message at this crucial time."

Well maybe- but it is also outright hypocrisy and dishonesty- which is why she had to go...

The first minister added that the "very serious mistake"

It wasnt a MISTAKE FFS. It was a choice. Born of entitlement and arrogance.

Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 08:05 - Apr 6 with 1834 viewsbluelagos

Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 07:57 - Apr 6 by sparks

Good grief. I have read more...

"Ms Sturgeon said it was "clear" that Dr Calderwood's mistake "risks distracting from and undermining confidence in the government's public health message at this crucial time."

Well maybe- but it is also outright hypocrisy and dishonesty- which is why she had to go...

The first minister added that the "very serious mistake"

It wasnt a MISTAKE FFS. It was a choice. Born of entitlement and arrogance.

And she has resigned, quite rightly.

What more would you like her to do? Submit herself to the stocks? A public flogging?

Time for a walk Bully, seriously.

(My last comment as I dont wish to see you getting any more annoyed.)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 08:08 - Apr 6 with 1818 viewssparks

Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 08:05 - Apr 6 by bluelagos

What more would you like her to do? Submit herself to the stocks? A public flogging?

What more?

Have the integrity to resign rather than being pushed.

Then stop calling choices mistakes.

Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 08:10 - Apr 6 with 1800 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 08:05 - Apr 6 by bluelagos

...only if he hasn’t already been out for one today, of course

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 08:36 - Apr 6 with 1750 viewsGlasgowBlue

She should have gone as soon as it came out. Why should any ordinary resident in Scotland take notice of the measures introduced if the CMO isn’t following her own advice.

Her actions have serious consequences and it was bizarre that the FM tried to keep hold of her.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 08:38 - Apr 6 with 1744 viewsStokieBlue

She was pushed, she didn't resign and tried to stay on.

Pretty indefensible actions.

SB

Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 10:31 - Apr 6 with 1675 viewsPinewoodblue

Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 08:10 - Apr 6 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

...only if he hasn’t already been out for one today, of course

Didn’t think going out for one constituted exercise.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 10:41 - Apr 6 with 1646 viewsitfcjoe

Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 08:36 - Apr 6 by GlasgowBlue

She should have gone as soon as it came out. Why should any ordinary resident in Scotland take notice of the measures introduced if the CMO isn’t following her own advice.

Her actions have serious consequences and it was bizarre that the FM tried to keep hold of her.

Sturgeon seems to be coming under pressure more generally, this won't help at all

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 11:07 - Apr 6 with 1599 viewsgiant_stow

Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 08:36 - Apr 6 by GlasgowBlue

Maybe Sturgeon wanted to keep her cos the next man down is rubbish? Or being kinder to him, perhaps she was outstanding?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 11:12 - Apr 6 with 1583 viewsGlasgowBlue

Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 10:41 - Apr 6 by itfcjoe

Sturgeon seems to be coming under pressure more generally, this won't help at all

Which is a shame as Sturgeon has communicated with the public very well and has been very statesperson-like

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 11:16 - Apr 6 with 1562 viewsStokieBlue

Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 11:07 - Apr 6 by giant_stow

Maybe Sturgeon wanted to keep her cos the next man down is rubbish? Or being kinder to him, perhaps she was outstanding?

Irrelevant though.

You can't literally be on TV everyday ordering people to do something then totally ignore that and do it yourself anyway.

She didn't just do this once, she did it two weekends running.

It's unbelievably entitled and could have done more damage than having someone slightly less competent if everyone is now thinking why should they stay in as they must be exaggerating as she ignored the rules.

SB
[Post edited 6 Apr 2020 11:17]

Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 13:05 - Apr 6 with 1486 viewsElephantintheRoom

And you could add that it might even be her family home with the city base more a work pad...maybe, perhaps.

You are right of course, there is no harm in it whatsoever, but if you twist her advice to the nth degree it could be construed as not entirely essential and contrary to her own advice... much as the cabinet were operating in complete contradiction to their own adive.

These things get the great unwashed very upset... and it all helps to distract from the scandalous mismanagement of a situation nobody knows how to end

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 13:06 - Apr 6 with 1480 viewssparks

Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 13:05 - Apr 6 by ElephantintheRoom

And you could add that it might even be her family home with the city base more a work pad...maybe, perhaps.

You are right of course, there is no harm in it whatsoever, but if you twist her advice to the nth degree it could be construed as not entirely essential and contrary to her own advice... much as the cabinet were operating in complete contradiction to their own adive.

These things get the great unwashed very upset... and it all helps to distract from the scandalous mismanagement of a situation nobody knows how to end

What a ridiculous post.

Why is this budgie still here with this inane trolling?

Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 13:20 - Apr 6 with 1463 viewsRyorry

Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 07:55 - Apr 6 by sparks

Also, we're given to understand that another reason for the lockdown & discouraging use of private cars, is to reduce the incidence of RTAs and emergency services, particularly ambulances and medics of course, being diverted from their focus on Covid_19.

According to a neighbour whose office deals with stats, this has been v. successful - no UK road deaths in several days before Sat 04/04 - usually there are an average of 5 a day.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 13:24 - Apr 6 with 1456 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Catherine Calderwood - what on earth was she thinking? on 13:20 - Apr 6 by Ryorry

Also, we're given to understand that another reason for the lockdown & discouraging use of private cars, is to reduce the incidence of RTAs and emergency services, particularly ambulances and medics of course, being diverted from their focus on Covid_19.

According to a neighbour whose office deals with stats, this has been v. successful - no UK road deaths in several days before Sat 04/04 - usually there are an average of 5 a day.

The lack of cars on the road currently is definitely much safer

Also thanks to the lack of other cars I was comfortably able to hit 110mph on my way to Felixstowe for a stroll down the beach at the weekend, which was an absolute delight

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024