Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The war on waists.... 08:39 - Jul 27 with 8282 viewsitfcjoe

....and obesity

Sounds like big announcement from the Govt coming, as the Nanny State continues and Ed Miliband's 2015 manifesto continues to be implemented......

I struggle to see how it does anything more than just make junk food more expensive and punishes people without the money to afford to eat better when on the run.

I'm all up for creative suggestions as to how it doesn't, and think it is needed - but talk of banning of advertising is good, but no deals on junk food in supermarkets just hurts the wallets of those, often least able to afford it.

Obviously a much bigger scheme would be required, but I have Vitality Healthcare and have rewards for doing fitness activity in the week measured from fitness tracker etc. Something like that would be incredible, getting Britain moving and rewarding those who do, rather than just punishing everyone.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The war on waists.... on 08:51 - Jul 27 with 3315 viewsthebooks

Even better, just implement Labour’s 2019 manifesto: Better cycling infrastructure, 4 day working week, health service investment, proper minimum wage, decent housing = healthy country.
The war on waists.... on 08:55 - Jul 27 with 3307 viewsbluelagos

A quick look at how cities like Amsterdam and Copenhagen encourage cycling will give some ideas at how much more we can do to encourage healthy lifestyles.

Unfortunately the petty minded anti cyclist attitude of many car users is prevalent and anything that makes their journey times 2 minutes longer is seen as an imposition.

#reclaimthelanes

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

The war on waists.... on 08:59 - Jul 27 with 3278 viewsitfcjoe

The war on waists.... on 08:55 - Jul 27 by bluelagos

A quick look at how cities like Amsterdam and Copenhagen encourage cycling will give some ideas at how much more we can do to encourage healthy lifestyles.

Unfortunately the petty minded anti cyclist attitude of many car users is prevalent and anything that makes their journey times 2 minutes longer is seen as an imposition.

#reclaimthelanes

They have recently been doing lots in Ipswich for cyclists but I just don't get the changes - protecting cycle lanes with cones along the main roads, narrowing the vehicle part which they spent months doing at no doubt great cost.....but so much being done on the by pass which is almost by definition the route that cyclists won't take as is not at all direct!

Needs to be more than just cycle lanes though, people poodling about on bikes through cities doesn't do much for fitness surely?

Subsidised gym memberships as long as they are used - Govt contribute £3 a visit up to a limit of £30 per person against their membership - so real incentive to actually go and use it as can become almost free

The war on waists.... on 09:06 - Jul 27 with 3243 viewsBluefish

The war on waists.... on 08:59 - Jul 27 by itfcjoe

They have recently been doing lots in Ipswich for cyclists but I just don't get the changes - protecting cycle lanes with cones along the main roads, narrowing the vehicle part which they spent months doing at no doubt great cost.....but so much being done on the by pass which is almost by definition the route that cyclists won't take as is not at all direct!

Needs to be more than just cycle lanes though, people poodling about on bikes through cities doesn't do much for fitness surely?

Subsidised gym memberships as long as they are used - Govt contribute £3 a visit up to a limit of £30 per person against their membership - so real incentive to actually go and use it as can become almost free

The problem becomes when the gym membership then goes up from £30 to £60 or £80 to £110

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

The war on waists.... on 09:11 - Jul 27 with 3222 viewsitfcjoe

The war on waists.... on 09:06 - Jul 27 by Bluefish

The problem becomes when the gym membership then goes up from £30 to £60 or £80 to £110

I'm not saying the whole membership is subsidised but if you have £30 towards it then it will totally cover entry level gyms but not even cover half of premium gyms.

People can make their choices based on that info, but Matt Hancock is saying today that is everyone in the country lost 5 lbs then it would save the NHS £100m.

I wonder what the costings would be combined to increased heart health.

Or give Joe Wicks a job doing his YouTube workouts daily and reward people for doing them, or for increasing levels of fitness.

The war on waists.... on 09:29 - Jul 27 with 3155 viewsmonytowbray

Education and access to cheaper “quick” healthy food is the winner.

Alas it ain’t that expensive to eat healthy already, a lot of it I find from others and personally is time. Most folk (including families with two working parents) aren’t free all day to f*ck about prepping food, although I will say it’s got much easier for me since going self employed and WFH.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

The war on waists.... on 09:30 - Jul 27 with 3141 viewsSwansea_Blue

Its needed, but it'll be a tricky sell with all these 'free choicer' types (aka selfish a-holes) around who push back on anything designed to stop them dying prematurely.

It's a long haul project too. A few tips from Finland maybe?

I quite like what Finland are doing these days, including knowing how to pick a PM:

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The war on waists.... on 09:37 - Jul 27 with 3108 viewsfooters

Sounds like the majority who voted for the party of Personal Responsibility aren't so keen on the concept of Personal Responsibility after all.

Put down the cakes and get on yer bikes.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Login to get fewer ads

The war on waists.... on 09:44 - Jul 27 with 3072 viewsclive_baker

The war on waists.... on 09:11 - Jul 27 by itfcjoe

I'm not saying the whole membership is subsidised but if you have £30 towards it then it will totally cover entry level gyms but not even cover half of premium gyms.

People can make their choices based on that info, but Matt Hancock is saying today that is everyone in the country lost 5 lbs then it would save the NHS £100m.

I wonder what the costings would be combined to increased heart health.

Or give Joe Wicks a job doing his YouTube workouts daily and reward people for doing them, or for increasing levels of fitness.

In the context of the NHS £100m is peanuts. It's about 6 hours of cost. That's not to say I disagree with the principle.

FWIW anything that incentives people to opt for a healthier alternative is a good intervention for me, in the same respect advertising fags in sport is now banned I don't see why a Big Mac that's proven to increase our risk of heart disease and stroke should be treated any different. Tax the crap out of it. The extent to which some people consume highly unhealthy options is scary. I think there should be a greater emphasis on it in schools tbh. The curriculum in schools is antiquated, I would like to see much more learning on the risks of poor lifestyle choices to fully equip children to make better choices.

I'm surprised the govt. is too bothered given we're already starting into the barrel of an unsustainable ageing population which will be costly to support without a sufficient level of labour market participation and tax revenues from the working population.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

The war on waists.... on 09:47 - Jul 27 with 3056 viewsPinewoodblue

The war on waists.... on 08:59 - Jul 27 by itfcjoe

Voucher for a free Big Mac every ten visits might work.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

The war on waists.... on 09:51 - Jul 27 with 3040 viewsDanTheMan

The war on waists.... on 09:44 - Jul 27 by clive_baker

In the context of the NHS £100m is peanuts. It's about 6 hours of cost. That's not to say I disagree with the principle.

FWIW anything that incentives people to opt for a healthier alternative is a good intervention for me, in the same respect advertising fags in sport is now banned I don't see why a Big Mac that's proven to increase our risk of heart disease and stroke should be treated any different. Tax the crap out of it. The extent to which some people consume highly unhealthy options is scary. I think there should be a greater emphasis on it in schools tbh. The curriculum in schools is antiquated, I would like to see much more learning on the risks of poor lifestyle choices to fully equip children to make better choices.

I'm surprised the govt. is too bothered given we're already starting into the barrel of an unsustainable ageing population which will be costly to support without a sufficient level of labour market participation and tax revenues from the working population.

I think a really good thing to do would just be to teach children how to actually cook, even if it's just the absolute basics.

I think the only times I can think of where cooking in school was taught was Year 9, where you literally just followed some basic recipes for things which is absolutely useless.

It's a fairly common thing from my friendship group that basically none of us were taught how to cook (all around 30) and almost none of our parents enjoyed cooking. So we've all essentially had to learn it from scratch.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

The war on waists.... on 09:52 - Jul 27 with 3027 viewsfooters

The war on waists.... on 09:44 - Jul 27 by clive_baker

Completely agree with this. I think there's been a knowledge gap from the end of WW2 and the rise of supermarkets with regards to proper food, how to cook and fresh ingredients. Of course we've seen more of it in recent years, but where parents fail the schools should pick up the slack with proper lunches and education on nutrition. Compare and contrast our school dinners here with those on offer just 21 miles away....

The war on waists.... on 10:00 - Jul 27 with 3007 viewsfooters

The war on waists.... on 09:51 - Jul 27 by DanTheMan

I think a really good thing to do would just be to teach children how to actually cook, even if it's just the absolute basics.

I think the only times I can think of where cooking in school was taught was Year 9, where you literally just followed some basic recipes for things which is absolutely useless.

It's a fairly common thing from my friendship group that basically none of us were taught how to cook (all around 30) and almost none of our parents enjoyed cooking. So we've all essentially had to learn it from scratch.

I still remember my first 'food tech' lesson.It was an open sandwich. A) what in the hell is that and B) has anyone ever really eaten one?

Joyless. Soulless. I don't even think we ate our creations. It felt more like a lab instead of something comfy and familiar.

My sister's first 'food tech' lesson (and I'm not making this up) was how to make a Pot Noodle. Incredibly, the lesson consisted of heating a saucepan of water to boil and then adding it to the Pot Noodle....

The war on waists.... on 10:05 - Jul 27 with 2994 viewsclive_baker

The war on waists.... on 09:51 - Jul 27 by DanTheMan

On the rare occasion we did cook in school, with food tech, it was baking a tomato bread and zero education around what goes into it, what your body needs and doesn't like, where to get it from etc. It was standing kneading some dough for 20 minutes then watching it in the oven, wondering where your life was heading and how many more weeks you had until you could do resistant materials and make yourself a CD rack.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2020 10:08]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

The war on waists.... on 10:16 - Jul 27 with 2957 viewsGiant_Midget

And in 7 days time a Government scheme starts that enables you to buy McDonald's for half price for 3 days of the week.
The war on waists.... on 10:18 - Jul 27 with 2943 viewsLibero

The war on waists.... on 10:16 - Jul 27 by Giant_Midget

And in 7 days time a Government scheme starts that enables you to buy McDonald's for half price for 3 days of the week.

I was wondering how exactly this aligns with "dine out to help out"
The war on waists.... on 10:21 - Jul 27 with 2936 viewsDanTheMan

The war on waists.... on 09:52 - Jul 27 by footers

Completely agree with this. I think there's been a knowledge gap from the end of WW2 and the rise of supermarkets with regards to proper food, how to cook and fresh ingredients. Of course we've seen more of it in recent years, but where parents fail the schools should pick up the slack with proper lunches and education on nutrition. Compare and contrast our school dinners here with those on offer just 21 miles away....

Another thing that's just occurred to me as well is that there is even some kick back when people try and feed their kids healthy.

I have two sets of nieces, my brother has four and my sister has two.

My brother basically feeds them crap, and is seemingly encouraged by my mum. This weekend they posted a picture of a BBQ they were having which had:

Chicken skewers (all meat)
12 sausages
8 Chicken kebabs.

Bear in mind that one of the nieces has only just started walking, whilst the other three are 3, 6 and 14.

My partner (stupidly) put "wow that's a lot of sausages" to which my mother almost immediately replied "it's a lot of family!".

In stark contrast my sister is much more careful with what she is feeding her daughter, and basically doesn't allow her to have really sugary sweets and pop, which is a source of constant annoyance to my mum. Not only that, from other people, I've heard that this literally annoys other parents as they see it as some sort of personal slight that they are not feeding their children healthily.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

The war on waists.... on 10:25 - Jul 27 with 2928 viewsBasuco

The problem is that in the UK there is a huge health time bomb ticking away, heart surgeons are performing operations on people in their teens and twenties that only used to be on people in their 60's. That is without Covid effecting those over 90KG worse than those slimmer and fitter. We as a nation need to eat and act much healthier in general.
The war on waists.... on 10:34 - Jul 27 with 2880 viewsSwansea_Blue

The war on waists.... on 10:21 - Jul 27 by DanTheMan

Another thing that's just occurred to me as well is that there is even some kick back when people try and feed their kids healthy.

My brother basically feeds them crap, and is seemingly encouraged by my mum. This weekend they posted a picture of a BBQ they were having which had:

12 sausages
8 Chicken kebabs.

Bear in mind that one of the nieces has only just started walking, whilst the other three are 3, 6 and 14.

My partner (stupidly) put "wow that's a lot of sausages" to which my mother almost immediately replied "it's a lot of family!".

In stark contrast my sister is much more careful with what she is feeding her daughter, and basically doesn't allow her to have really sugary sweets and pop, which is a source of constant annoyance to my mum. Not only that, from other people, I've heard that this literally annoys other parents as they see it as some sort of personal slight that they are not feeding their children healthily.

This is often made into a generational issue, with the blame placed on the younger generations for not knowing how to cook meals from scratch, etc. And I often find myself agreeing with that view.

But then on the flipside, I notice with our kids that the elders in both families are horrendous at shovelling crap into them. I guess they're just trying to please their grandkids or grand nieces/nephews (if those are such a thing), but it's chips, sweets, crisps, ice cream, etc., all the time. There may be a real meal in their each day, but the amount of other rubbish makes that pretty much meaningless.

The war on waists.... on 10:34 - Jul 27 with 2877 viewsDarth_Koont

The war on waists.... on 09:37 - Jul 27 by footers

Sounds like the majority who voted for the party of Personal Responsibility aren't so keen on the concept of Personal Responsibility after all.

Put down the cakes and get on yer bikes.

All this pushing Personal Responsibility (like Equality of Opportunity) is really about promoting liberty as the overriding right.

It's "Here, this is what you want. Everything's on your terms and no-one's telling you what to do". It's never about the sacrifice (personal or collective) that's needed to make life better for more people.

Yet as soon as we get coronavirus that threatened people's businesses, jobs and well-being in a way that a lot of people live with day in and day out, that's when they get the idea of collective responsibility and fairness. When there's a threat to their health and that of loved ones, then they realise personal liberty at all costs isn't such a great idea.

Pronouns: He/Him

The war on waists.... on 10:37 - Jul 27 with 2863 viewsBlueBadger

Bariatric therapy services need to be massively expanded and elective surgeries such as gastric bypasses need to be much, much more freely available alongside better education and access to low-cost decent quality food. All the available evidence is that these procedures essentially pay for themselves within 5 years(one example: gastric bypass basically 'cures' type 2 diabetes). Currently in the Eastern region if you live in Ipswich, your options for this surgery and pre-sugery treatment and management are Luton or Royal London(for surgery) and Addenbrookes(for pre-operative management).
[Post edited 27 Jul 2020 10:38]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The war on waists.... on 10:38 - Jul 27 with 2856 viewsSwansea_Blue

The war on waists.... on 10:34 - Jul 27 by Darth_Koont

All this pushing Personal Responsibility (like Equality of Opportunity) is really about promoting liberty as the overriding right.

It's "Here, this is what you want. Everything's on your terms and no-one's telling you what to do". It's never about the sacrifice (personal or collective) that's needed to make life better for more people.

Yet as soon as we get coronavirus that threatened people's businesses, jobs and well-being in a way that a lot of people live with day in and day out, that's when they get the idea of collective responsibility and fairness. When there's a threat to their health and that of loved ones, then they realise personal liberty at all costs isn't such a great idea.

A bit harsh. They're not against sacrifice and working for the common good. Just as long as it's others doing it .

The war on waists.... on 10:40 - Jul 27 with 2837 viewsDarth_Koont

The war on waists.... on 10:38 - Jul 27 by Swansea_Blue

A bit harsh. They're not against sacrifice and working for the common good. Just as long as it's others doing it .

Haha. Good point.

Pronouns: He/Him

The war on waists.... on 10:41 - Jul 27 with 2829 viewsLibero

The war on waists.... on 10:21 - Jul 27 by DanTheMan

12 sausages
8 Chicken kebabs.

I've had to deal with similar b0llocks when the Mother in law has taken our lad.
She's taken to calling him "the veggie baby" simply because he doesn't eat meat every day.

Yesterday we had a little gathering of family in the garden to celebrate his 1st birthday (Tuesday) and all I heard from her all day was amazement that he was eating X, Y, Z.

Silly women doesn't realise that we're quite happy little him have a little mini sausage roll for his birthday, but we don't want him consuming them week-in-week-out.

Irony is that she of course consistently talks about her weight and pines to be slimmer/fitter. Completely oblivious of how her eating habits form her body, so many times I've had to bite my tongue when she say's something along the lines of "I don't understand it, I eat well and exercise" - if by "well" she means "lots" then yes, she eats very "well" - until last week when she started going on bike rides her "exercise" was limited to walking the dogs, which as nice as that may be isn't going to touch the sides of the 3000/4000 calories a day she's whacking back.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2020 10:52]
The war on waists.... on 10:44 - Jul 27 with 2819 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

9th January, 2020, my weight had gone up to 13 stone, 9 pounds. As a 5 foot, 7 inch tall bloke, it wasn't a good look. A combination of far too much alcohol, snacking on sh1te and cheap takeaways had made Pinewood a quite unhealthy chap, and rapidly approaching 60, needed to do urgently fix it.
A phone call to the local Slimming World group resulted in me joining the following week.
There are 40 folk in the group of various ages, sizes and male/female ratio is about 50/50.
During lockdown, the classes continued either via video meetings or by text, i chose the latter. It works. A bit of personal responsibility, coupled with the group meetings have made a massive difference to my eating habits, now eat more than i ever have done, still enjoy a drink, an occasional takeaway.
As of 7 am today, i weigh 11 stone on the dot. that was the target i set myself.
It,s not expensive to go, i believe GP,s can refer patients to the group and the cost is covered.
Not for everyone and it can come across a bit "preachy" at times, but one example of help out there that is available. Will be resuming classes later in August and am looking foward to returning, socially distanced of course.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024