Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good 09:57 - Feb 26 with 7349 viewsSitfcB

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Good on 09:58 - Feb 26 with 3057 viewsBlueBadger

This is how we deal with OUR criminals now is it? Make them someone else's problem?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Good on 10:00 - Feb 26 with 2977 viewssnudge27

"Good" is, to my mind, the very last thing this worrying development is.

Poll: Who is the best Lord?

Good on 10:01 - Feb 26 with 2945 viewsfooters

Good on 09:58 - Feb 26 by BlueBadger

This is how we deal with OUR criminals now is it? Make them someone else's problem?

While contravening international law and making one of our citizens stateless? Makes sense.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Good on 10:03 - Feb 26 with 2897 viewsGlasgowBlue

Whilst I would quite happily see her rot in a cell for the rest of her life, removing citizenship is a slippery slope, and a tool that could be used for nefarious purposes in the future. She was born a British subject.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Good on 10:04 - Feb 26 with 2885 viewsElderGrizzly

Not good. But, I get why a certain portion of the population will think that
Good on 10:05 - Feb 26 with 2859 viewsGlasgowBlue

Whilst disagreeing with the removal of her citizenship, any crime committed by a British national whilst in a foreign country is usual dealt with by that country's judiciary and not the UK.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Good on 10:06 - Feb 26 with 2854 viewsjonbull88

The question I would like to know is if someone came to Great Britain, had forgone their own countries citizenship when it suited them and committed offences over here. Would you like them shipped back to “their country” to be sentenced or put on trial here?

For me she’s committed offences over there, if she is only going to be put on trial here, I’d prefer shed be put on trial there. At the end of the day she’s not shoplifted she’s been complicit in murdering hundreds of not thousands.

Stripping here citizenship is a strong handed move, but tbh having seen many of the shocking attacks in the uk (several by “reformed” individuals) i genially think the uk is between a rock and a hard place.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2021 10:10]
Good on 10:07 - Feb 26 with 2818 viewsfooters

Good on 10:06 - Feb 26 by jonbull88

The question I would like to know is if someone came to Great Britain, had forgone their own countries citizenship when it suited them and committed offences over here. Would you like them shipped back to “their country” to be sentenced or put on trial here?

For me she’s committed offences over there, if she is only going to be put on trial here, I’d prefer shed be put on trial there. At the end of the day she’s not shoplifted she’s been complicit in murdering hundreds of not thousands.

Stripping here citizenship is a strong handed move, but tbh having seen many of the shocking attacks in the uk (several by “reformed” individuals) i genially think the uk is between a rock and a hard place.

Begum never legally became a citizen of any other state. She is British.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Login to get fewer ads

Good on 10:08 - Feb 26 with 2826 viewsHerbivore

When 15 year old white girls were groomed to take drugs and have sex with predominantly Muslim men in Rotherham they were rightly seen as victims who were not to blame for their actions. When a 15 year old Muslim girl was groomed to leave the country to bear children for ISIS she is seen as evil incarnate and fully culpable for her actions.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2021 10:12]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Good on 10:08 - Feb 26 with 2790 viewsGuthrum

Good on 10:06 - Feb 26 by jonbull88

But citizenship is a separate issue to criminal culpability.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Good on 10:10 - Feb 26 with 2748 viewssnudge27

Good on 10:08 - Feb 26 by Herbivore

When 15 year old white girls were groomed to take drugs and have sex with predominantly Muslim men in Rotherham they were rightly seen as victims who were not to blame for their actions. When a 15 year old Muslim girl was groomed to leave the country to bear children for ISIS she is seen as evil incarnate and fully culpable for her actions.

Maybe Paz can help us understand how it's a completely different thing entirely?

Good on 10:10 - Feb 26 with 2752 viewsLord_Lucan

Gotta say I simply can't make my mind up on this, although I'm slightly just in the opinion that she should be allowed back - even if just to face the music.

But it's a difficult one.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Good on 10:12 - Feb 26 with 2702 viewssnudge27

Good on 10:05 - Feb 26 by GlasgowBlue

Whilst disagreeing with the removal of her citizenship, any crime committed by a British national whilst in a foreign country is usual dealt with by that country's judiciary and not the UK.

I'm pretty sure there are some countries (Germany springs to mind, for some reason) that have a fall-back position that if you do something abroad which, whilst not a crime in that location, is a crime in Germany, you can still be prosecuted in Germany for the crime.

Good on 10:12 - Feb 26 with 2694 viewsElderGrizzly

Good on 10:10 - Feb 26 by Lord_Lucan

Gotta say I simply can't make my mind up on this, although I'm slightly just in the opinion that she should be allowed back - even if just to face the music.

But it's a difficult one.

Indeed.

She'll probably die fairly soon where she is, because she has now spoken out against those she previously was attached to.

She should have come back here and been allowed to have a fair trial.
Good on 10:12 - Feb 26 with 2645 viewschrismakin

Genuine question

Didnt she only a few years ago say that the killings in the UK were justified...

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Good on 10:13 - Feb 26 with 2651 viewsHerbivore

Good on 10:12 - Feb 26 by chrismakin

Genuine question

Didnt she only a few years ago say that the killings in the UK were justified...

Can you explain what you think that has to do with my post?

Good on 10:15 - Feb 26 with 2581 viewschrismakin

Good on 10:13 - Feb 26 by Herbivore

Can you explain what you think that has to do with my post?

Well for me. I'd agree that unfortunately she was groomed for which she should hold no blame of course

But now a fully grown adult and her own mind whilst also being free of her past she still claimed the killings were justified... so isnt she still showing support for ISIS?

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Good on 10:16 - Feb 26 with 2594 viewsLord_Lucan

You make a fair point - although the whole thing isn't really like for like.

It's a good argument though and I completely get it.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Good on 10:19 - Feb 26 with 2536 viewsHerbivore

Good on 10:15 - Feb 26 by chrismakin

Well for me. I'd agree that unfortunately she was groomed for which she should hold no blame of course

But now a fully grown adult and her own mind whilst also being free of her past she still claimed the killings were justified... so isnt she still showing support for ISIS?

I'm not sure you understand how grooming works if you think that turning 18 means you're suddenly free of its effects. She spent a number of her most formative years living amongst ISIS and some time prior to that being groomed by them online. Nobody has done any work with her to try to reduce or reverse the impact of that.

Good on 10:19 - Feb 26 with 2536 viewsfabian_illness

I’d never considered it like that.
Your angle definitely challenges my initial thoughts.
Good on 10:21 - Feb 26 with 2518 viewsGuthrum

Good on 10:15 - Feb 26 by chrismakin

Grooming is an act of mental conditioning. Has she been deconditioned yet?

Look at those fanatical nazis who stayed completely loyal to the cause long after the war was lost and knowlege of the Holocaust had come to light (e.g. Hanna Reitsch, or Gudrun Himmler).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Good on 10:23 - Feb 26 with 2502 viewsHerbivore

Good on 10:16 - Feb 26 by Lord_Lucan

You make a fair point - although the whole thing isn't really like for like.

It's a good argument though and I completely get it.

I agree they aren't like for like, and we do charge and try 15 year olds when they commit crimes because we see them as having a degree of culpability. I just find the let her rot, string her up brigade rather distasteful given how young she was when she went to live with ISIS after effectively being groomed by them to go and bear their children. Ultimately she is also a victim of CSE as well as everything else she might be.

Good on 10:28 - Feb 26 with 2465 viewsSouperJim

Well said

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Good on 10:30 - Feb 26 with 2436 viewspointofblue

Interesting to see which law the Supreme Court have used to decide this considering it’s against international law to make someone stateless. I understand we’re trying to claim that she can be a citizen of Bangladesh but, if we reverse this and it was them trying it on us, then we’d hard,y accept it.

We deem it important to have the power to deport citizens from other countries when they commit crimes - we have to accept it’s a two way street.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Good on 10:33 - Feb 26 with 2412 viewsBiGDonnie

Good on 10:01 - Feb 26 by footers

While contravening international law and making one of our citizens stateless? Makes sense.

She never has been, and never will be 'one of us'.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024