Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How about a Friday music thread with a bit of class and culture 12:52 - May 14 with 2498 viewsKeno

Favourite classical or orchestral piece

To start two very different ones

Poll: IF TWTD was a constituency who'd you vote for?
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

How about a Friday music thread with a bit of class and culture on 12:55 - May 14 with 1655 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Sorry, I'm not nearly cultured enough for this... that Nesum Dorma is alright and maybe a bit of William Tell but only the good bit.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

How about a Friday music thread with a bit of class and culture on 12:57 - May 14 with 1649 viewsgiant_stow

I can help, but I'm not sure if this video is sharable (it mixes sheer class and poo in one glorious epic. Look out for the moment when the video's star has a little wipe, check, sniff and fling)

Edit: it appears the video works, but don;t watch if easily offended, disgusted or eating lunch.

[Post edited 14 May 2021 13:02]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

How about a Friday music thread with a bit of class and culture on 12:57 - May 14 with 1649 viewsEwan_Oozami

Can't beat a bit of Tavener! Did you know he went to the same school as John Rutter?

You are the obsolete SRN4 to my Fairey Rotodyne....
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

How about a Friday music thread with a bit of class and culture on 13:02 - May 14 with 1616 viewsKeno

How about a Friday music thread with a bit of class and culture on 12:57 - May 14 by Ewan_Oozami

Can't beat a bit of Tavener! Did you know he went to the same school as John Rutter?

I didn't know that about Tavener and Rutter

Big fan of Rutter and also Bob Chilcott

he did this arrangements for the Kings Singers

Poll: IF TWTD was a constituency who'd you vote for?
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

How about a Friday music thread with a bit of class and culture on 13:14 - May 14 with 1606 viewsdocklandsblue

Well that's easy...

There's also a terrible version with Tom Waits, but I wouldnt bother.
How about a Friday music thread with a bit of class and culture on 13:14 - May 14 with 1604 viewshoppy

This is rather beautiful... does it qualify?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

How about a Friday music thread with a bit of class and culture on 13:29 - May 14 with 1569 viewsRyorry

Quite a fun one incorporating consumption of whisky and drunkenness, as befits TWTD!

Poll: Time of the annunciation

How about a Friday music thread with a bit of class and culture on 13:32 - May 14 with 1567 viewsFather_Jack

Less is more.

Login to get fewer ads

How about a Friday music thread with a bit of class and culture on 13:39 - May 14 with 1538 viewsLord_Lucan

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

How about a Friday music thread with a bit of class and culture on 13:49 - May 14 with 1518 viewsC_Jam_Blue

Stravinsky Rite of Spring. About a girl who dances herself to death. Great music, incredible ballet

Four Sea Interludes by Benjamin Britten. Basically a description of the Suffolk Coast in music. When it comes to classical music, Suffolk is premier league!

How about a Friday music thread with a bit of class and culture on 13:55 - May 14 with 1502 viewsMB26

Not strictly orchestral or classical but both Westworld and Succession have fantastic scores throughout. Westworld in particular with its modern covers in classical form.
How about a Friday music thread with a bit of class and culture on 13:58 - May 14 with 1490 viewsCoastalblue

Does this count?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

How about a Friday music thread with a bit of class and culture on 14:05 - May 14 with 1476 viewsRyorry

How about a Friday music thread with a bit of class and culture on 13:14 - May 14 by docklandsblue

Well that's easy...

There's also a terrible version with Tom Waits, but I wouldnt bother.

You're the first person in about 30 years I've come across who's a) even heard of this, never mind b) like me, having it as a favourite! I'm not in the slightest bit religious - atheist/humanist if anything - but it has a hypnotic quality which is absolutely entrancing.

The back story is amazing.

I like the 'Tom Waits added' version too, fwiw.

How about a Friday music thread with a bit of class and culture on 14:17 - May 14 with 1459 viewsRyorry

How about a Friday music thread with a bit of class and culture on 13:49 - May 14 by C_Jam_Blue

Stravinsky Rite of Spring. About a girl who dances herself to death. Great music, incredible ballet

Four Sea Interludes by Benjamin Britten. Basically a description of the Suffolk Coast in music. When it comes to classical music, Suffolk is premier league!

Heard 'The Rite of Spring' live in the RAH on first night of Proms 1981, one of the best nights of my life. BBCSO & Chorus (incl my 2nd coz in the sops) Gennady Rozhdestvensky conducting.

We were sitting up in the gods, the sound was so loud I thought my eardrums were going to burst! It's the kind of piece that you really have to experience live to get the full impact - literally - a physical soundwave.

How about a Friday music thread with a bit of class and culture on 14:20 - May 14 with 1444 viewsHARRY10

How about a Friday music thread with a bit of class and culture on 13:32 - May 14 by Father_Jack

If The Sun did music
How about a Friday music thread with a bit of class and culture on 14:25 - May 14 with 1436 viewsclive_baker

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

How about a Friday music thread with a bit of class and culture on 14:49 - May 14 with 1406 viewsC_Jam_Blue

How about a Friday music thread with a bit of class and culture on 14:17 - May 14 by Ryorry

Heard 'The Rite of Spring' live in the RAH on first night of Proms 1981, one of the best nights of my life. BBCSO & Chorus (incl my 2nd coz in the sops) Gennady Rozhdestvensky conducting.

We were sitting up in the gods, the sound was so loud I thought my eardrums were going to burst! It's the kind of piece that you really have to experience live to get the full impact - literally - a physical soundwave.

Sounds amazing. Saw it as a ballet in this strange but incredibly powerful version.

How about a Friday music thread with a bit of class and culture on 14:56 - May 14 with 1398 viewsBlueBoots

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

How about a Friday music thread with a bit of class and culture on 15:01 - May 14 with 1393 viewsfactual_blue

Just back from a few days in Malvern, so

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: What sort of press should McKenna use in the Premier League?
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

How about a Friday music thread with a bit of class and culture on 15:16 - May 14 with 1376 viewsEwan_Oozami

How about a Friday music thread with a bit of class and culture on 15:01 - May 14 by factual_blue

Just back from a few days in Malvern, so

That'll get the worriers on here blubbing for sure....

You are the obsolete SRN4 to my Fairey Rotodyne....
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

How about a Friday music thread with a bit of class and culture on 15:41 - May 14 with 1356 viewsfactual_blue

How about a Friday music thread with a bit of class and culture on 15:16 - May 14 by Ewan_Oozami

That'll get the worriers on here blubbing for sure....

My abiding memory of Nimrod is from Anzac Day in 1990 (the 75th anniversary of Gallipoli). I was working in Whitehall at the time and in an office more or less directly in line with The Cenotaph.

The Guards band were playing that as a group of half a dozen very frail old men came very slowly from Downing Street to The Cenotaph. All were Gallipoli veterans. Almost certainly the last occasion Gallipoli veterans were actually present.

Sobering to think they're all gone now. WW1 veterans were the old men of my youth.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: What sort of press should McKenna use in the Premier League?
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

How about a Friday music thread with a bit of class and culture on 15:46 - May 14 with 1351 viewsGodzilla

How about a Friday music thread with a bit of class and culture on 16:04 - May 14 with 1335 viewsdocklandsblue

How about a Friday music thread with a bit of class and culture on 14:05 - May 14 by Ryorry

You're the first person in about 30 years I've come across who's a) even heard of this, never mind b) like me, having it as a favourite! I'm not in the slightest bit religious - atheist/humanist if anything - but it has a hypnotic quality which is absolutely entrancing.

Then you'll probably enjoy this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02r9p89
FWIW I had never heard of it until about 10 years ago when I found myself working with Wayne Coyne who wouldn't stop raving about it - I found the Tom W version and didn't get it at all, then he sent me a link to this version and I've been a convert ever since. I think of it with alarming regularity for such an awkward piece.
How about a Friday music thread with a bit of class and culture on 16:30 - May 14 with 1311 viewshoppy

How about a Friday music thread with a bit of class and culture on 14:05 - May 14 by Ryorry

I'm slightly surprised about that last line - or that anybody liked it, to be honest.

I thought it was a case of Tom Waits for no-one?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

How about a Friday music thread with a bit of class and culture on 16:32 - May 14 with 1306 viewsPendejo

How about a Friday music thread with a bit of class and culture on 15:46 - May 14 by Godzilla

I had that LP!

uberima fides
Poll: Who will Charlie Austin play for next season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024