Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Was it Southgate’s plan to not win tonight… 21:58 - Jun 18 with 2920 viewshoppy

To try to finish second in the group?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Was it Southgate’s plan to not win tonight… on 22:00 - Jun 18 with 2486 viewschrismakin

Just posted that myself. Definately not out the question is it.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Was it Southgate’s plan to not win tonight… on 22:03 - Jun 18 with 2468 viewsMerseyBlue

I think you have to question that based on the second half, I didn't see much desire to win on our end.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

Was it Southgate’s plan to not win tonight… on 22:04 - Jun 18 with 2455 viewsbazza

This crossed my mind.. 1st and 2nd potentially Spain Germany France or Portugal.. but we were so bad, finishing 4th you go home 😂
Was it Southgate’s plan to not win tonight… on 22:08 - Jun 18 with 2406 viewsbazza

Was it Southgate’s plan to not win tonight… on 22:04 - Jun 18 by bazza

This crossed my mind.. 1st and 2nd potentially Spain Germany France or Portugal.. but we were so bad, finishing 4th you go home 😂

If you get through in 3rd Italy..
Was it Southgate’s plan to not win tonight… on 22:34 - Jun 18 with 2349 viewsThe_Last_Baron

England could finish second and end up playing Spain. If they lose to the Czechs, which wouldn't surprise me, they could finish 3rd and face a top side. Win the game and take on whoever you face.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Was it Southgate’s plan to not win tonight… on 22:37 - Jun 18 with 2338 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

No, we were just a bit cr*p

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Was it Southgate’s plan to not win tonight… on 22:51 - Jun 18 with 2293 viewseireblue

Maybe, Southgate was concerned about the match getting into a blood and guts derby style game.

So ahead of the game he may have been focusing the players on staying calm and keeping in control of themselves.

That lead to a lack of sufficient intensity, against a Scotland team that did play well.
Was it Southgate’s plan to not win tonight… on 22:55 - Jun 18 with 2277 viewsChurchman

The idea of Southgate even knowing what a plan is seems pretty far fetched to me. No, he’s just cr@p and so are they - as usual.
Login to get fewer ads

Was it Southgate’s plan to not win tonight… on 23:08 - Jun 18 with 2244 viewsSuperblue95

If we wanted to finish second it would have made more sense to win today then throw our result against the Czechs.

We just played crap

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Was it Southgate’s plan to not win tonight… on 23:24 - Jun 18 with 2199 viewsmylittletown

No Scotland played quite well, and we played quite poorly.

Southgate does not have that degree of control over individual performances!

(Having said that our lack of ambition and wit in the second half was depressing.)
Was it Southgate’s plan to not win tonight… on 23:25 - Jun 18 with 2189 viewsTractorWood

Was it Southgate’s plan to not win tonight… on 22:34 - Jun 18 by The_Last_Baron

England could finish second and end up playing Spain. If they lose to the Czechs, which wouldn't surprise me, they could finish 3rd and face a top side. Win the game and take on whoever you face.

This is my concern. Although that Spain team looks pretty pedestrian. That was always the great thing about the Euros. Nowhere to hide because it's rammed with amazing teams.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Was it Southgate’s plan to not win tonight… on 23:42 - Jun 18 with 2158 viewstextbackup

call me a knob, but surely if he wants to finish 2nd he'd have gone all out to beat local rivals and install pride, then change entire 11 in final game and accidently lose that.... Czech finish on 7, we finish on 6.....

that way everyone is buzzing still...… now we have it all to do, heaping pressure

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Was it Southgate’s plan to not win tonight… on 23:48 - Jun 18 with 2133 viewsXYZ

Was it Southgate’s plan to not win tonight… on 22:55 - Jun 18 by Churchman

The idea of Southgate even knowing what a plan is seems pretty far fetched to me. No, he’s just cr@p and so are they - as usual.

... the only non-town manager to take England to a WC semi?
Was it Southgate’s plan to not win tonight… on 01:40 - Jun 19 with 2035 viewsJ2BLUE

It's such a stupid question. No offence etc. I can't believe so many people think Southgate actually planned not to beat Scotland. You might be joking but many aren't. The idea he deliberately set out not to beat Scotland is just ludicrous.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Was it Southgate’s plan to not win tonight… on 02:17 - Jun 19 with 2004 viewspointofblue

Was it Southgate’s plan to not win tonight… on 23:48 - Jun 18 by XYZ

... the only non-town manager to take England to a WC semi?

I know I might be being unfair but, to me, that success in 2018 is blown out of proportion. It took an injury time winner to overcome Tunisia, we were beaten by Belgium twice plus Croatia and needed penalties to defeat Colombia. We played seven matches and lost three of them.

More recently we lost at Wembley to Denmark and away in Prague whilst limping past a Poland side without Lewandowski. Southgate has struggled and seemingly is still struggling on how to harness the raw attacking talent we have available to us.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Was it Southgate’s plan to not win tonight… on 07:35 - Jun 19 with 1820 viewsmikeybloo88

Was it Southgate’s plan to not win tonight… on 02:17 - Jun 19 by pointofblue

I know I might be being unfair but, to me, that success in 2018 is blown out of proportion. It took an injury time winner to overcome Tunisia, we were beaten by Belgium twice plus Croatia and needed penalties to defeat Colombia. We played seven matches and lost three of them.

More recently we lost at Wembley to Denmark and away in Prague whilst limping past a Poland side without Lewandowski. Southgate has struggled and seemingly is still struggling on how to harness the raw attacking talent we have available to us.

Southgate has managed to take all this great offensive talent and blend it into a unit that musters three shots on target...he's got 4 lads in Chilwell, James, Mount and Foden who stormed most of their CL games in the last month and made them shadows of themselves, if he even plays them. Too scared to hook Sterling or Phillips when they clearly are having poor games but pulls Foden who is looking lively. You can't imagine Klopp or Pep or Tuchel not getting more fom this talent or not knowing what their best formation or tactics are midway through a tournament. Still, he's a nice guy so that's ok...
Was it Southgate’s plan to not win tonight… on 07:50 - Jun 19 with 1788 viewshoppy

Was it Southgate’s plan to not win tonight… on 23:42 - Jun 18 by textbackup

call me a knob, but surely if he wants to finish 2nd he'd have gone all out to beat local rivals and install pride, then change entire 11 in final game and accidently lose that.... Czech finish on 7, we finish on 6.....

that way everyone is buzzing still...… now we have it all to do, heaping pressure

Knob.

You did ask!

Was it Southgate’s plan to not win tonight… on 07:52 - Jun 19 with 1784 viewshoppy

Was it Southgate’s plan to not win tonight… on 01:40 - Jun 19 by J2BLUE

It's such a stupid question. No offence etc. I can't believe so many people think Southgate actually planned not to beat Scotland. You might be joking but many aren't. The idea he deliberately set out not to beat Scotland is just ludicrous.

I’ve been rumbled. I know I’m usually the least likely person to be joking on here, pretty much all the time, but on this occasion, I wasn’t actually being serious.

Was it Southgate’s plan to not win tonight… on 07:57 - Jun 19 with 1769 viewsWeWereZombies

That would work until you consider that Southgate put out teams good enough to qualify for the Euros. All he had to do was make rubbish selections and employ poor tactics, then we would never have had this dilemma.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Was it Southgate’s plan to not win tonight… on 08:32 - Jun 19 with 1673 viewsBathBlue

Was it Southgate’s plan to not win tonight… on 01:40 - Jun 19 by J2BLUE

Exactly this. Know the OP wasn’t serious but can’t believe so many people think England would try not to win. Against Scotland! Finishing 2nd would give a match in Copenhagen rather than Wembley so would involve moving base and France in the quarters.
Was it Southgate’s plan to not win tonight… on 14:17 - Jun 19 with 1489 viewsJ2BLUE

Was it Southgate’s plan to not win tonight… on 07:52 - Jun 19 by hoppy

I’ve been rumbled. I know I’m usually the least likely person to be joking on here, pretty much all the time, but on this occasion, I wasn’t actually being serious.

It's hard to tell, your jokes are crap.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Was it Southgate’s plan to not win tonight… on 14:49 - Jun 19 with 1444 viewshoppy

Was it Southgate’s plan to not win tonight… on 14:17 - Jun 19 by J2BLUE

Harsh.

There was that one, once…

Was it Southgate’s plan to not win tonight… on 14:52 - Jun 19 with 1434 viewsjeera

Was it Southgate’s plan to not win tonight… on 14:17 - Jun 19 by J2BLUE

Yet possibly still above keno's.

Yes, the OP had to be sarcasm as nothing else made sense.

I've been shaking my head, along with most I suppose, at the prospect of Southgate telling his players not to win a match if they can help it.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Was it Southgate’s plan to not win tonight… on 14:55 - Jun 19 with 1430 viewsTractorCam

Was it Southgate’s plan to not win tonight… on 07:52 - Jun 19 by hoppy

Some people genuinely believe this is a good idea sadly.

Belgium Italy and the winner of the group of death appear in the side of the draw if we come 2nd. Sure our round of 16 would be easier but then it's ridiculously tough compared to winning the group.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Was it Southgate’s plan to not win tonight… on 14:56 - Jun 19 with 1427 viewschrismakin

Was it Southgate’s plan to not win tonight… on 14:52 - Jun 19 by jeera

Yet possibly still above keno's.

Yes, the OP had to be sarcasm as nothing else made sense.

I've been shaking my head, along with most I suppose, at the prospect of Southgate telling his players not to win a match if they can help it.

There is however a big difference in telling players not to win and not doing anything to get a win.

Grealish and Rashford subs weren't really going to change much and as mentioned in another thread some of his arm movements for us to slow down at certain points also showed that he was happy with how it was going.

Not wanting to lose is different to not wanting to win.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024