Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA 10:16 - Jul 16 with 7469 viewsIP4_Blue

The other night, when he mentions the state of Portman Road and bigger plans for the ground, what do you think these will be? Do you think they will replace maybe the Cobbold Stand?
Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 10:32 - Jul 16 with 4670 viewsChrisd

Obviously, we as fans do have that sentimental attachment to Portman Road, but he's right the ground could do with a lot of TLC, it's been left to go to ruin under ME. I wouldn't want the club to move away from the current site, so It's exciting they have plans for the ground. I might be getting ahead of my station here, but look how Ashton Gate has been transformed under Ashton's watch.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2021 11:23]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 10:36 - Jul 16 with 4614 viewstivo

If the Cobbold stand was to be redeveloped then it would need to go over the road, or the road to be pushed back into the car park.

I personally think it would look great to have the stand going over the top of the road, with pillars holding it up on the car park side of the road giving it a tunnel feel.
Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 10:37 - Jul 16 with 4598 viewsWD19

We have 2 newish stands and 2 very old ones, so it is not difficult to guess what they might want to do if and when circumstances allow.

In the meantime they will spend a bit of money on tarting up the basics because it is a visual easy win in terms of demonstrating renewed care and investment in the club.
Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 10:45 - Jul 16 with 4562 viewsPhilTWTD

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 10:32 - Jul 16 by Chrisd

Obviously, we as fans do have that sentimental attachment to Portman Road, but he's right the ground could do with a lot of TLC, it's been left to go to ruin under ME. I wouldn't want the club to move away from the current site, so It's exciting they have plans for the ground. I might be getting ahead of my station here, but look how Ashton Gate has been transformed under Ashton's watch.

I think ruin overstates it a bit, it's been under-maintained - and far from the only ground in that situation - and the Cobbold Stand in particular is past its sell-by date. Think that's already been ear-marked for development at some point. But I don't think there'll be anything beyond cosmetic stuff immediately, Mark Detmer said it'll be a case of making progress on that sort of thing as the club progresses on the field.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 11:01 - Jul 16 with 4423 viewschicoazul

I have a feeling that within the next 5 years all being well on the pitch, we will be moving home.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 11:26 - Jul 16 with 4255 viewsIllinoisblue

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 11:01 - Jul 16 by chicoazul

I have a feeling that within the next 5 years all being well on the pitch, we will be moving home.

Where to?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 11:28 - Jul 16 with 4243 viewsWD19

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 11:26 - Jul 16 by Illinoisblue

Where to?

Milton Keynes has got a nice stadium that doesn't get much use.......
Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 11:29 - Jul 16 with 4230 viewsjayessess

Can't see that making much sense economically.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Login to get fewer ads

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 11:32 - Jul 16 with 4212 viewsChrisd

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 10:45 - Jul 16 by PhilTWTD

I think ruin overstates it a bit, it's been under-maintained - and far from the only ground in that situation - and the Cobbold Stand in particular is past its sell-by date. Think that's already been ear-marked for development at some point. But I don't think there'll be anything beyond cosmetic stuff immediately, Mark Detmer said it'll be a case of making progress on that sort of thing as the club progresses on the field.

This post has been edited by an administrator

'Ruined' might be overstating things Phil, however when we've had windows board up and the ground generally looking tired and run down it's fair to say there's been plenty of neglect and a lack of pride in PR over recent years. Unfortunately, the ground seems to reflect how we've been run over the last decade or so. Lets hope this is the start of some exciting developments, even if it is cosmetic initially - it will make a huge difference and give it a much needed lift.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2021 11:33]

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 11:33 - Jul 16 with 4186 viewschrismakin

I think a new ground would be done... but in the same place. Groundshare with posh or something whilst its being built.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 11:33 - Jul 16 with 4191 viewsEwan_Oozami

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 11:26 - Jul 16 by Illinoisblue

Where to?

Sproughton Enterprise Park?

I see the area around PR is now know as Ipswich Village Development??

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 11:34 - Jul 16 with 4179 viewstivo

Why? We don't own the ground so cannot sell it and use the proceeds to build new.
Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 11:36 - Jul 16 with 4146 viewsVic

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 10:37 - Jul 16 by WD19

We have 2 newish stands and 2 very old ones, so it is not difficult to guess what they might want to do if and when circumstances allow.

In the meantime they will spend a bit of money on tarting up the basics because it is a visual easy win in terms of demonstrating renewed care and investment in the club.

Excuse me - I remember those two ‘very old’ stands being built. It was not that long ago, they are lovely and modern!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 11:36 - Jul 16 with 4143 viewsDinDjarin

I would be surprised at that.
Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 11:37 - Jul 16 with 4119 viewsBlueNomad

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 10:32 - Jul 16 by Chrisd

If PR has gone to ruin how would you define Fratton Park (or Krap Nottarf)?
Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 11:43 - Jul 16 with 4079 viewsSomethingBlue

Can't see that but I do think that if we get to the Champ and (minimum) re-establish ourselves they'll do the Cobbold. And rightly so, from the outside it reminds me of long-neglected venues I've been to in eastern and southern and Europe, it doesn't look good at all.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 11:44 - Jul 16 with 4065 viewsMetal_Hacker

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 11:33 - Jul 16 by chrismakin

I think a new ground would be done... but in the same place. Groundshare with posh or something whilst its being built.

That's a joke right before I get a whoosh !!??

Poll: If it were one or the other

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 11:47 - Jul 16 with 4044 viewsChrisd

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 11:37 - Jul 16 by BlueNomad

If PR has gone to ruin how would you define Fratton Park (or Krap Nottarf)?

To be honest BlueNomad, I'm not too bothered about the state of Fratton Park and other grounds in a similar condition. It is ours that bothers me most.

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 11:51 - Jul 16 with 4007 viewsjayessess

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 11:34 - Jul 16 by tivo

Why? We don't own the ground so cannot sell it and use the proceeds to build new.

Brighton's 30,000 stadium cost them £100m and that was a decade ago, with the inflation in construction costs you'd be looking at the best part of double that now. Where would the extra revenue come from to justify that kind of expense?

We've not got close to regularly filling Portman Road in this century, so it's not going to come from new ticket sales. There's absolutely no way you'd make enough extra in events, hospitality and accommodation to make it worthwhile.

Moreover, for the new owners to make a profit they need to get the club in the Premier League and keep it there. Huge risk you'd have to divert money from the playing side.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2021 11:54]

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 12:00 - Jul 16 with 3941 viewsabracaDOBRA_

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 11:44 - Jul 16 by Metal_Hacker

That's a joke right before I get a whoosh !!??

I just see no point in building a new ground, ours just needs a bit of TLC
Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 12:02 - Jul 16 with 3919 viewsMetal_Hacker

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 12:00 - Jul 16 by abracaDOBRA_

I just see no point in building a new ground, ours just needs a bit of TLC

AND !!! Sharing with Posh ? WTF ?

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 12:09 - Jul 16 with 3875 viewsabracaDOBRA_

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 12:02 - Jul 16 by Metal_Hacker

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 12:12 - Jul 16 with 3855 viewsjayessess

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 12:02 - Jul 16 by Metal_Hacker

if we were hypothetically forced to groundshare, it'd be the least worst option, surely?

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 12:19 - Jul 16 with 3790 viewsMetal_Hacker

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 12:12 - Jul 16 by jayessess

if we were hypothetically forced to groundshare, it'd be the least worst option, surely?

Yeah perhaps so but I don't think it'd ever come to that for a long long time (like not in my lifetime and I'm 52)

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 12:19 - Jul 16 with 3790 viewsdavblue

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 12:12 - Jul 16 by jayessess

surely it would be Colchester?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024