Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA 10:16 - Jul 16 with 7460 viewsIP4_Blue

The other night, when he mentions the state of Portman Road and bigger plans for the ground, what do you think these will be? Do you think they will replace maybe the Cobbold Stand?
Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 10:18 - Jul 17 with 1207 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 10:04 - Jul 17 by jayessess

Don't tend to get a lot of terror attacks in medium-sized provincial towns.
Atletico Madrid's old stadium was built over Madrid's equivalent of the North Circular (the M30), always fun to drive under.

[Post edited 17 Jul 2021 10:05]

Attacks by Islamist terrorists in France and Belgium have switched to soft targets in smaller towns and suburbs away from well-defended sites in more prominent areas, because they are easier to attack and the response time from police is longer. Which has also resulted in a switch of tactics from suicide bombing to attack and get away.

Sorry to bring the mood down...
Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 10:45 - Jul 17 with 1186 viewsjayessess

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 10:18 - Jul 17 by ArnoldMoorhen

Attacks by Islamist terrorists in France and Belgium have switched to soft targets in smaller towns and suburbs away from well-defended sites in more prominent areas, because they are easier to attack and the response time from police is longer. Which has also resulted in a switch of tactics from suicide bombing to attack and get away.

Sorry to bring the mood down...

I salute your vigilance, but the number of terrorism deaths in the whole of France over the last half decade amount to about one year of traffic deaths just in the town of Ipswich. It's hardly a major threat.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 11:56 - Jul 17 with 1149 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 10:45 - Jul 17 by jayessess

I salute your vigilance, but the number of terrorism deaths in the whole of France over the last half decade amount to about one year of traffic deaths just in the town of Ipswich. It's hardly a major threat.

Thought that was worth checking so (albeit Wikipedia data):

In France in the last decade there have been 300 terror-related deaths 271 victims and 29 the perpetrators. 225 of those were in 2 specific incidents. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_in_France#21st_century

RTA deaths in Ipswich I cannot find data for. However, since there are around 1870 across the UK every year, I would be amazed if there were 300 in Ipswich each year. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attac

That said, your point is valid. Deaths from terrorism are extremely rare. Compare the level of concern and restrictions between that and the threat of Covid. Hmm.

EDIT: Another interesting take on that is: around 10% of terror-related deaths are of the terrorist themselves.
[Post edited 17 Jul 2021 12:01]

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 16:14 - Jul 17 with 1075 viewsjayessess

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 11:56 - Jul 17 by Nthsuffolkblue

Thought that was worth checking so (albeit Wikipedia data):

In France in the last decade there have been 300 terror-related deaths 271 victims and 29 the perpetrators. 225 of those were in 2 specific incidents. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_in_France#21st_century

RTA deaths in Ipswich I cannot find data for. However, since there are around 1870 across the UK every year, I would be amazed if there were 300 in Ipswich each year. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attac

That said, your point is valid. Deaths from terrorism are extremely rare. Compare the level of concern and restrictions between that and the threat of Covid. Hmm.

EDIT: Another interesting take on that is: around 10% of terror-related deaths are of the terrorist themselves.
[Post edited 17 Jul 2021 12:01]

I did say half decade. The Bataclan attack (which wasn't a bombing nor in a provincial town, so well outside the scope of what was under discussion) has a big impact on the whole last decade. Last 5 years is 25, which is the same as Suffolk traffic fatalities for 2018-19 and less than 2017-18 (34).

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 16:38 - Jul 17 with 1057 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 16:14 - Jul 17 by jayessess

I did say half decade. The Bataclan attack (which wasn't a bombing nor in a provincial town, so well outside the scope of what was under discussion) has a big impact on the whole last decade. Last 5 years is 25, which is the same as Suffolk traffic fatalities for 2018-19 and less than 2017-18 (34).

OK. Apols that I missed the term "half". Suffolk is more than just Ipswich, though.

As I say, I agree with your general point, just think we should be careful how statistics are presented.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 17:47 - Jul 17 with 1028 viewsVic

I just want to say what a fantastic interview that is! I’ve been excited by the interviews with the US guys, but this is different class. Measured, oozing confidence and planning and a real focused vision.

So many good bits - what he said about Portman Road, what he said about the recruitment team (really encouraged by this - a guy who understands what is needed to run a football club, and then the bit about the culture of the club and remembering where the money comes from. Wow - that is absolutely fantastic.

I know that lot up the road are top dogs innEAa at the moment (I live in the hearts of NCFC country) but at last I can start to feel proud of ITFC again. I just hope they don’t let us down!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 18:24 - Jul 17 with 990 viewsmylittletown

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 17:47 - Jul 17 by Vic

I just want to say what a fantastic interview that is! I’ve been excited by the interviews with the US guys, but this is different class. Measured, oozing confidence and planning and a real focused vision.

So many good bits - what he said about Portman Road, what he said about the recruitment team (really encouraged by this - a guy who understands what is needed to run a football club, and then the bit about the culture of the club and remembering where the money comes from. Wow - that is absolutely fantastic.

I know that lot up the road are top dogs innEAa at the moment (I live in the hearts of NCFC country) but at last I can start to feel proud of ITFC again. I just hope they don’t let us down!

Without wishing to sound cynical, that is a lot of faith to put in a bloke who took Bristol City to the heights of 19th in the Championship last season, on an almost unlimited budget.

Let's hope that your confidence turns out to justified, we could do with some good times at ITFC. It feels like a lifetime since we last enjoyed ourselves.
Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 18:42 - Jul 17 with 966 viewschrismakin

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 18:24 - Jul 17 by mylittletown

Without wishing to sound cynical, that is a lot of faith to put in a bloke who took Bristol City to the heights of 19th in the Championship last season, on an almost unlimited budget.

Let's hope that your confidence turns out to justified, we could do with some good times at ITFC. It feels like a lifetime since we last enjoyed ourselves.

Unlimited budget?

He and lansdown had no choice but to reign the spending in last summer due to covid. Their transfer activity was miles different to previous seasons. Have a look and compare and you will see how different the recruitment was. He also gave a really in depth interview explaining their summer recruitment last summer as it was the total opposite of what they did in his previous years
[Post edited 17 Jul 2021 18:46]

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Login to get fewer ads

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 18:45 - Jul 17 with 957 viewsCotty

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 11:01 - Jul 16 by chicoazul

I have a feeling that within the next 5 years all being well on the pitch, we will be moving home.

Yeah but you famously also thought that Alex Bruce would’ve been a great choice for captain. So you know. That.
Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 18:49 - Jul 17 with 947 viewsFPL_Tractor

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 18:24 - Jul 17 by mylittletown

If you look at his whole tenure City were a top 8 league one side when he started and we’re a mid table championship team for all the seasons bar the last one, which let’s face it was a strange season with the pandemic on. I’d say the biggest criticism I’d have, from the outside, is they never kicked on to really challenge the top 6 in the championship. It’s difficult with parachute payments distorting things but that surely should have been the aim.

For more ITFC chat and some fantasy football mutterings follow me on twitter @fpl_tractor.

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 23:31 - Jul 17 with 838 viewsallezlesbleus

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 11:01 - Jul 16 by chicoazul

I have a feeling that within the next 5 years all being well on the pitch, we will be moving home.

Really hope not. It is great PR being so close to the station and town centre / waterfront.

Would be shoite being out of town, by Tescos or Asda etc.
Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 08:43 - Jul 18 with 773 viewsChurchman

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 17:47 - Jul 17 by Vic

I’ve had a chance to hear the complete interview and I too am pretty impressed with Ashton. He, and it seems the owners, are very clear sighted on what they are trying to do. That really makes a difference. If you’ve ever worked in a positive environment for people like that, you’ll know what I mean.

Ashton and co will get plenty wrong, but they will hopefully get a lot more right. In trying to build something (build was a word he used a lot) that’s inevitable, but the comparison with Evans ‘sweat the assets and hope for the best’ approach couldn’t be more stark. Hopefully the results will be too.
Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 19:31 - Jul 18 with 660 viewsJ2BLUE

Thanks for highlighting this. What a great interview.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 20:12 - Jul 18 with 627 viewsMetal_Hacker

Yeah listened to it today whilst sat outside burning myself (not with petrol and a naked flame don’t worry )

Really good insight into the aspirations, plans and dreams

Truly feel that club I’ve supported for over 4 decades is once again , for now , in safe hands and as important, we’re looking at going places

Proud once again to be related to the football club

COYBS !!!

Poll: If it were one or the other

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 21:37 - Jul 18 with 581 viewsEwan_Oozami

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 19:41 - Jul 16 by itfcjoe

Now Portman Road has been shut for cars where the stadium is I wonder if long term there is a possibility of extending the Cobbold Stand by rebuilding it over that space now it is no longer in use.

There is potential there for an Ipswich Village style property investment by the new owners as imagine the land is cheap and the location is good for transport links.

Google must know something...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 22:42 - Jul 18 with 545 viewsHARRY10

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 18:49 - Jul 17 by FPL_Tractor

If you look at his whole tenure City were a top 8 league one side when he started and we’re a mid table championship team for all the seasons bar the last one, which let’s face it was a strange season with the pandemic on. I’d say the biggest criticism I’d have, from the outside, is they never kicked on to really challenge the top 6 in the championship. It’s difficult with parachute payments distorting things but that surely should have been the aim.

Parachute payments don't distort things as much as you would appear yp think - or there would be Bolton, Sunderland Wigan, Huddersfield and Boro struggling - no Cardiff, Blackburn+, Reading and Stoke treading water in the Championship.

They cover the PL contracts of many of the players who relegated them previously, and cannot be moved on as other clubs don't want them. The payments similarly cover the staged transfer pavements from PL transfers. Unless folk think that a transfer fee is fully paid up front. Few relegated players command the same fee when sold on, if only due to the selling club needing to raise money.

TV income alone drops £100m plus (inc league bonus award) to around £42m, then £30m for one or two years subsequent. Bournemouth had a wage bill of around £120m season ending June 2019. Presuming tickets/gate etc stay the same that is £80m to find or cut back on, without even factoring in transfer payments.

Yes, a well run will usually have transfer payments owed to them which should roughly balance what they owe. However the thought that parachute payments are a gift that affords a huge advantage is a myth.

The benefit they might give is if the club is able to keep some of the PL quality players on board to mount a fresh challenge. However, if the club had that ability then it is likely they would not have been relegated in the first place

B'mouth sold four players last summer, raising £80m and moved on a further 15, or so. And there is every likelihood that a few more will be sold to meet a further £12m drop in payments. I would expect them to follow other ex PL clubs on a downward spiral as the realities of no longer being able to spend (borrow) their way to success hit home.

It is therefore not the amount of money, but what you do with it. Or, as above, what you have to do with it. Some thing, games against Morecambe and Sheff Weds will demonstrate. One got it tight, the other has got it hideously wrong.

Lets hope we become the former.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024