Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… 11:55 - Dec 6 with 1451 viewsbrazil1981

suggests a knee jerk decision by the board then! Thought Ashton and this new lot were meant to be experienced operators. Group of clowns just like the last regime…this Club is going to be a laughing stock for years to come!
Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 11:56 - Dec 6 with 1424 viewsHerbivore

Amazing how personally some people are taking Cook's sacking. He was just a manager, and one that wasn't even here for very long, and who did a bad job while he was here. We move on.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 11:57 - Dec 6 with 1404 viewshype313

Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 11:56 - Dec 6 by Herbivore

Amazing how personally some people are taking Cook's sacking. He was just a manager, and one that wasn't even here for very long, and who did a bad job while he was here. We move on.

Clearly a budgie still reeling from not getting anything at 3 point lane yesterday.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 11:58 - Dec 6 with 1383 viewsGuthrum

McGreal in charge for now by Guthrum 6 Dec 2021 11:14
However, if they are after someone who is already in a job, they wouldn't be able to make an approach without permission from said target's current club - which would inevitably leak out.

Thus it might be the case that they have identified candidates, but are only now able to initiate the formal negotiation proccess.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 11:59 - Dec 6 with 1383 viewswkj

I think we'd be mad to think the the Pizza Cup and FA Cup had any bearing on Cook's sacking. I would bed a king's ransom that Paul Cooks future was being heavily debated and all but decided upon by the top brass after we lost to Rotherham - maybe even sooner. I think the cup performances with a strong team were merely the finger that pushed the detonation button rather than laying the dynamite.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 12:00 - Dec 6 with 1362 viewssaffers12

Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 11:58 - Dec 6 by Guthrum

McGreal in charge for now by Guthrum 6 Dec 2021 11:14
However, if they are after someone who is already in a job, they wouldn't be able to make an approach without permission from said target's current club - which would inevitably leak out.

Thus it might be the case that they have identified candidates, but are only now able to initiate the formal negotiation proccess.

correct

I would imagine by Thursday the picture will be much clearer
Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 12:01 - Dec 6 with 1343 viewsDMDC

Cook had been awful for months,get over it mate.
Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 12:02 - Dec 6 with 1330 viewsitfcjoe

Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 11:59 - Dec 6 by wkj

I think we'd be mad to think the the Pizza Cup and FA Cup had any bearing on Cook's sacking. I would bed a king's ransom that Paul Cooks future was being heavily debated and all but decided upon by the top brass after we lost to Rotherham - maybe even sooner. I think the cup performances with a strong team were merely the finger that pushed the detonation button rather than laying the dynamite.

There was a few whispers on the Thursday before the Crewe game, when I had an ask around it was basically said that Paul Cook thought he was going to be sacked but that wasn't the case (which was clearly wrong)

When you look at his soundbites from the 3 games afterwards he was definitely chucking bits out there he shouldn't be really so think he knew writing was on the wall

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 12:02 - Dec 6 with 1311 viewsitfcsuth

It seems odd that there is no plan for an immediate replacement, I have to be honest, and could ultimately cost us in the decisive month of December.

Let's hope that McGreal find instant success during December, otherwise I suspect this season will be a write off by January.

But seems a little extreme to them a group of clowns, and to suggest we are going to be laughing stocks.
Login to get fewer ads

Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 12:03 - Dec 6 with 1297 viewssaffers12

Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 12:02 - Dec 6 by itfcjoe

There was a few whispers on the Thursday before the Crewe game, when I had an ask around it was basically said that Paul Cook thought he was going to be sacked but that wasn't the case (which was clearly wrong)

When you look at his soundbites from the 3 games afterwards he was definitely chucking bits out there he shouldn't be really so think he knew writing was on the wall

Agreed there was a definite change in tone from PC
Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 12:03 - Dec 6 with 1290 viewsghostofescobar

The sacking of the backroom coaches suggests different to me. No need to keep them on if the new guy will be bringing in their own team? Don't appear to see the need to let the new man (or woman) assess the current coaching team.

GhostOfEscobar

Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 12:05 - Dec 6 with 1266 viewsHerbivore

Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 12:02 - Dec 6 by itfcsuth

It seems odd that there is no plan for an immediate replacement, I have to be honest, and could ultimately cost us in the decisive month of December.

Let's hope that McGreal find instant success during December, otherwise I suspect this season will be a write off by January.

But seems a little extreme to them a group of clowns, and to suggest we are going to be laughing stocks.

If our preferred candidate is in work we couldn't have them immediately lined up to take over anyway. We'd need to make a formal approach to speak to them and that's not possible when there's no vacancy.

Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 12:09 - Dec 6 with 1202 viewsbrazil1981

Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 11:57 - Dec 6 by hype313

Clearly a budgie still reeling from not getting anything at 3 point lane yesterday.

Not at all mate, I’m blue through and through! Despite all the talk this lot obviously have no long term plan! You lot obviously don’t agree but given a couple of years Cook would have got us up!

Guarantee most of you won’t be happy with whichever mate of Ashton gets the job.

Be careful what you wish for!!!!!!!!
Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 12:10 - Dec 6 with 1176 viewsitfcjoe

Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 12:02 - Dec 6 by itfcsuth

Are we going to be any worse in December under McGreal than we were under Cook?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 12:42 - Dec 6 with 984 viewsN2_Blue

Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 12:03 - Dec 6 by ghostofescobar

The sacking of the backroom coaches suggests different to me. No need to keep them on if the new guy will be bringing in their own team? Don't appear to see the need to let the new man (or woman) assess the current coaching team.

The back room team were probably more of an issue than Cook himself.

It would have been absolute travesty and laughable to have sacked Cook and then left his coaching team in charge of ITFC until we appointed a manager.

The best think about Cook going is that inexperienced team of coaches, that obviously didn't help out Cook one bit are gone from the club.

I still think it would have been very different for Cook if he's appointed a sound and experienced No.2 who could cajoled him into trying something different when it was going wrong.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 13:02 - Dec 6 with 916 viewsjayessess

Evans was "only sack a manager when you have a replacement lined up", so this is the opposite to the last regime, isn't it?

I support it. I thought the whole contacting managers whilst the current guy was still in post was (a) disrespectful and (b) prolonged the death agony of unpopular regimes.

Much prefer this way - get the incumbent out, an interim manager in, then do a full survey of all the coaches (including those currently in situ) you could possibly hire.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 13:07 - Dec 6 with 849 viewsElderGrizzly

Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 13:02 - Dec 6 by jayessess

Evans was "only sack a manager when you have a replacement lined up", so this is the opposite to the last regime, isn't it?

I support it. I thought the whole contacting managers whilst the current guy was still in post was (a) disrespectful and (b) prolonged the death agony of unpopular regimes.

Much prefer this way - get the incumbent out, an interim manager in, then do a full survey of all the coaches (including those currently in situ) you could possibly hire.

I think it would be naive to think no-one is lined up.

Ashton will have his short-list and I'm sure some contacts will already have been made.

This won't have been a kneejerk reaction at all. Cook was as good as gone after Rotherham.
Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 13:08 - Dec 6 with 830 viewsZx1988

Far from it.

Based on what Ashton has said so far, I'm inclined to believe we might have done some tapping-up, and that he's now trying to paint the picture that (for argument's sake) Liam Manning contacted us first, and only after Cook was sacked.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 13:11 - Dec 6 with 793 viewsElderGrizzly

Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 13:08 - Dec 6 by Zx1988

Far from it.

Based on what Ashton has said so far, I'm inclined to believe we might have done some tapping-up, and that he's now trying to paint the picture that (for argument's sake) Liam Manning contacted us first, and only after Cook was sacked.

Ashton has boasted a few times of being prepared for any player departure by having 4 short-listed players for each position.

I'm sure he has the same for a manager.
Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 13:16 - Dec 6 with 736 viewsitfcsuth

Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 12:10 - Dec 6 by itfcjoe

Are we going to be any worse in December under McGreal than we were under Cook?

Probably in my opinion, but it is a question we'll never know the answer to.
Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 13:17 - Dec 6 with 721 viewsitfcsuth

Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 12:05 - Dec 6 by Herbivore

If our preferred candidate is in work we couldn't have them immediately lined up to take over anyway. We'd need to make a formal approach to speak to them and that's not possible when there's no vacancy.

It's quite rare in the modern day that the 'formal' approach to a manger is truly the first approach.
Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 13:21 - Dec 6 with 699 viewsstonojnr

Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 11:56 - Dec 6 by Herbivore

true, but Ive always maintained you dont sack a football manager unless youve got a better replacement lined up in advance.

that weve sacked the manager, but are now having to do the recruitment bit implies a lack of foresight and planning that might mean we dont end up with the better replacement.

Cook could probably have easily carried on for a few more games, whilst a replacement was being looked for had Ashtons mind been made up Cook had to go, and I dont think anyone would have been that upset about that
Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 13:22 - Dec 6 with 692 viewsHerbivore

Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 13:17 - Dec 6 by itfcsuth

It's quite rare in the modern day that the 'formal' approach to a manger is truly the first approach.

That may be so but a formal approach is still needed and that means you're not going to have an already employed manager in post in less than 48 hours.

Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 13:24 - Dec 6 with 682 viewsjayessess

Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 13:16 - Dec 6 by itfcsuth

Probably in my opinion, but it is a question we'll never know the answer to.

An enormous 7 points from a similar run of games is the target to beat!

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 13:26 - Dec 6 with 655 viewsHerbivore

Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 13:21 - Dec 6 by stonojnr

true, but Ive always maintained you dont sack a football manager unless youve got a better replacement lined up in advance.

that weve sacked the manager, but are now having to do the recruitment bit implies a lack of foresight and planning that might mean we dont end up with the better replacement.

Cook could probably have easily carried on for a few more games, whilst a replacement was being looked for had Ashtons mind been made up Cook had to go, and I dont think anyone would have been that upset about that

For me if a manager is failing a manager is failing and you take action to address that. I think the idea of having someone better lined up is also a bit spurious, what does better mean in this context? We want them to be a better manager for Town than the last guy and we won't know whether that's the case until they've been here for a little while. On paper Cook was a standout candidate but in reality he's done a worse job than Lambert. I'm sure none of us would have thought that would be the case when we made the last change.

Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 13:34 - Dec 6 with 613 viewsIpswichKnight

Obviously no one already lined up as a replacement… on 13:07 - Dec 6 by ElderGrizzly

I think it would be naive to think no-one is lined up.

Ashton will have his short-list and I'm sure some contacts will already have been made.

This won't have been a kneejerk reaction at all. Cook was as good as gone after Rotherham.

Were a few rumours late last month that a L1 club had been asking about Manning.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024