Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. 10:23 - Dec 27 with 2729 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Some people seem to think we are still going to make the playoffs.

It's possible.

But let's be honest, it's unlikely.

Its asking a LOT of the new coaching team to bed in their ideas so quickly.

In the short term, they are going to have to keep it very simple.

My directive would be 'Win your battles. Then play football'.

That's why I'd always start with a two of Norwood and Bonne up top and Chaplin in Midfield. I'd ask them to give me 60 mins of maximum effort of working over the defense physically and then look to change it once theyve done maximum damage.

Not rocket science. More Slapshot tactics.

But maybe rocket science can wait.

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 10:53 - Dec 27 with 2240 viewstextbackup

as i posted elsewhere this morning...

"just consider too, when we sat top of the championship, we had a 10 point lead on norwich sat in 7th.....

we then managed to bottle/throw that away, and sstumble into 6th place, whilst norwich finished 3rd, and went on to beat us in the PO

so a ten point gap isnt impossible to close"

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 10:59 - Dec 27 with 2206 viewsDarth_Koont

Surely it’s just better to let him work on his own ideas than trying to go for a quick fix? Otherwise, we turn the strengths of K-Mac into weaknesses.

We’ve gone for an experienced coach but an inexperienced manager. Let him coach the team the right way and focus on the marginal gains that will make us stronger. Then let’s see how far that takes us.

On a related note, I’d say the only time our expectations were aligned with reality in the past 20 years was when Mick came in and saved us from relegation. After that we were happy to be in the league and build a team and that helped us even have a go at automatic promotion for a while. Would be nice to enjoy a solid build again without turning hopes and aspirations into expectations, demands and criticisms.

Pronouns: He/Him

Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 11:04 - Dec 27 with 2187 viewsDubtractor

Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 10:53 - Dec 27 by textbackup

"just consider too, when we sat top of the championship, we had a 10 point lead on norwich sat in 7th.....

we then managed to bottle/throw that away, and sstumble into 6th place, whilst norwich finished 3rd, and went on to beat us in the PO

All of that is true, and of course it is possible for us to go on a run to get in the top 6, but I think we've all become so accustomed to disappointment and failure that its easier to just assume we won't do it.

The inability to put a run together at all during Cook's time probably took the disappointment to a new level too.

Let's hope that we finally get that fabled new manager 'bounce' this time round!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 11:07 - Dec 27 with 2164 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 10:59 - Dec 27 by Darth_Koont

Surely it’s just better to let him work on his own ideas than trying to go for a quick fix? Otherwise, we turn the strengths of K-Mac into weaknesses.

We’ve gone for an experienced coach but an inexperienced manager. Let him coach the team the right way and focus on the marginal gains that will make us stronger. Then let’s see how far that takes us.

On a related note, I’d say the only time our expectations were aligned with reality in the past 20 years was when Mick came in and saved us from relegation. After that we were happy to be in the league and build a team and that helped us even have a go at automatic promotion for a while. Would be nice to enjoy a solid build again without turning hopes and aspirations into expectations, demands and criticisms.

We never had "a go at automatic promotion" under Mick.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 11:17 - Dec 27 with 2128 viewsDarth_Koont

Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 11:07 - Dec 27 by The_Flashing_Smile

‘Course we did. December 2014 we were top of the Championship.

That qualifies as “having a go at automatic promotion for a while”. I’ll admit it still felt unlikely that we’d keep that up in the second half of the season.

Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 13:43 - Dec 27 with 1923 viewschrismakin

Having looked around. Historically he's gone for 4 2 3 1 with academy sides aswell as this being prime at Utd. Whilst he says formations non important. I'd be surprised to see him going with 2 strikers.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 13:45 - Dec 27 with 1912 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 11:07 - Dec 27 by The_Flashing_Smile

We were not top at Christmas under him one season?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 14:05 - Dec 27 with 1853 viewsElephantintheRoom

Surely it would be nice to have some joined up thinking at the club? Maybe a plan for sustainable success? Perhaps even a 5year plan so that IF Town get out of the third division they may actually stay up?

You can be fairly sure that not everyone amongst those 19 players will welcome a tyro manager - especiall those that came for Hurst... and the main reason the team isnt doing as well as last season is that it isnt as good.

If you look downwards, Town are only 9 point above certain relegation - so a 10 point gap to oossible promotion is rather vast. I think the best way to measure Town's ineptitude - and the size of McKenna's task is to compare Town with Cambridge - I think its just a three point difference.

It might be nice if fans could take on board a bit of realism - this is a small Town club that has been in long term decline - and the recent changes have made things worse. I doubt there is a quick fix no matter how good McKenna turns out to be.... I wouldnt be too sure of promotion next season either.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Login to get fewer ads

Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 14:08 - Dec 27 with 1855 viewsFixed_It

Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 14:05 - Dec 27 by ElephantintheRoom

Surely it would be nice to have some joined up thinking at the club? Maybe a plan for sustainable success? Perhaps even a 5year plan so that IF Town get out of the third division they may actually stay up?

You can be fairly sure that not everyone amongst those 19 players will welcome a tyro manager - especiall those that came for Hurst... and the main reason the team isnt doing as well as last season is that it isnt as good.

If you look downwards, Town are only 9 point above certain relegation - so a 10 point gap to oossible promotion is rather vast. I think the best way to measure Town's ineptitude - and the size of McKenna's task is to compare Town with Cambridge - I think its just a three point difference.

It might be nice if fans could take on board a bit of realism - this is a small Town club that has been in long term decline - and the recent changes have made things worse. I doubt there is a quick fix no matter how good McKenna turns out to be.... I wouldnt be too sure of promotion next season either.

Hurst? Your budgie underslip is showing...

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 10:04 - Dec 28 with 1626 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 11:17 - Dec 27 by Darth_Koont

‘Course we did. December 2014 we were top of the Championship.

That qualifies as “having a go at automatic promotion for a while”. I’ll admit it still felt unlikely that we’d keep that up in the second half of the season.

So if you're ever near the top at any stage of the season, that qualifies as “having a go at automatic promotion"? Not for me. You need to be near the top at the end and just missing out to be “having a go at automatic promotion".

Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 10:05 - Dec 28 with 1622 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 13:45 - Dec 27 by Nthsuffolkblue

We were not top at Christmas under him one season?

Yep. We were also top at the start of one season and that doesn't count as “having a go at automatic promotion" either.

Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 10:55 - Dec 28 with 1559 viewsDarth_Koont

Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 10:04 - Dec 28 by The_Flashing_Smile

So if you're ever near the top at any stage of the season, that qualifies as “having a go at automatic promotion"? Not for me. You need to be near the top at the end and just missing out to be “having a go at automatic promotion".

Bit pedantic, surely? I believe we were a couple of points clear of third place going into January and the second half of the season before our results then took a dive. So a lot more than being top in September.

Anyhoo, point remains that we went from relegation certainties to promotion challengers in a couple of years. And when we had some patience for making the team solid and getting the side moving upwards rather than the loftier expectations and relative delusions of grandeur we seem to have the rest of the time.

Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 11:44 - Dec 28 with 1504 viewsbraveblue

Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 10:05 - Dec 28 by The_Flashing_Smile

Yep. We were also top at the start of one season and that doesn't count as “having a go at automatic promotion" either.

We definitely were having a go until end jan when everyone realised that Evans would not invest to strengthen the team. That was his opportunity and he blew it. He then continued in that vein for years!!
Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 11:47 - Dec 28 with 1490 viewschrismakin

Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 11:44 - Dec 28 by braveblue

We definitely were having a go until end jan when everyone realised that Evans would not invest to strengthen the team. That was his opportunity and he blew it. He then continued in that vein for years!!

Mick turned down the opportunity to bring players in. He didn't want to upset the dressing room. This has been discussed previously alot.

So for once its not M.E to blame on that one

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 12:03 - Dec 28 with 1461 viewstractorboy1978

This.

For me, it's about ending this season strongly now in a manner/style that we can see improving/developing ready for next season. If we manage to accumulate enough points to sneak into the play-offs then great. But KMc needs to be implementing his own ideas that he believes in from day 1.

It looks a tough ask but we just have to concentrate on ourselves and win games. It's almost pointless looking at the league table for the next dozen or so games. We probably need something like 14 wins, 5 draws from 23 games to have a sniff. We definitely have a squad capable of doing that, even if we haven't so far.
Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 12:23 - Dec 28 with 1422 viewswkj

Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 10:05 - Dec 28 by The_Flashing_Smile

Of course you're right, how can you be wrong - Sitting comfortably on top at Christmas is not trying for promotions - it is nothing but pissing around.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 12:43 - Dec 28 with 1380 viewsFightingEssex

Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 10:53 - Dec 27 by textbackup

That’s an amazing comparison, given the Nodge lot were underperforming, but were pushing playoffs most of the season with a largely ex-Premiership side still and hadn’t been that awful prior to finishing above us in the league and thrashing us in the Playoffs. We’ve not threatened anyone bar 3 or 4 games this entire season. If we had been 8th most of the season I’d take your point but we haven’t even threatened 8th, so not really a realistic comparison.

We’re not going to make the Playoffs. I don’t expect any miracles this season or next, Evans squandered our advantage and we’re now in a slog for a good few years yet. We’re in the same mess the likes of Coventry found themselves in when they dropped.

Poll: Next Ipswich Town manager?

Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 13:04 - Dec 28 with 1345 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 12:23 - Dec 28 by wkj

Of course you're right, how can you be wrong - Sitting comfortably on top at Christmas is not trying for promotions - it is nothing but pissing around.

Alright Captain Angry? Merry Christmas! x

Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 13:09 - Dec 28 with 1330 viewstextbackup

Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 12:43 - Dec 28 by FightingEssex

That’s an amazing comparison, given the Nodge lot were underperforming, but were pushing playoffs most of the season with a largely ex-Premiership side still and hadn’t been that awful prior to finishing above us in the league and thrashing us in the Playoffs. We’ve not threatened anyone bar 3 or 4 games this entire season. If we had been 8th most of the season I’d take your point but we haven’t even threatened 8th, so not really a realistic comparison.

We’re not going to make the Playoffs. I don’t expect any miracles this season or next, Evans squandered our advantage and we’re now in a slog for a good few years yet. We’re in the same mess the likes of Coventry found themselves in when they dropped.

not really, the points difference is the same, and we have a side with championship experience under belts, we arent a team of complete mugs and no hopes

Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 15:19 - Dec 28 with 1212 viewswkj

Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 13:04 - Dec 28 by The_Flashing_Smile

Alright Captain Angry? Merry Christmas! x

lol My dad could beat up your dad

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 23:44 - Dec 28 with 1146 viewsTheBoyBlue

With consistency we should. Those teams immediately between us and the play-offs aren't going to win every game or even nearly every game. Nor are we, but we ought to close the gap by showing what we've shown at our best already this season.

However, it won't be KM's fault if we don't this season, as so much damage has already been done and as you say, it is a big ask to hit the ground running.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 00:49 - Dec 29 with 1104 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 15:19 - Dec 28 by wkj

lol My dad could beat up your dad

Probably, my dad's 85!

Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 02:08 - Dec 29 with 1063 viewsjayessess

I don't really get this distinction between "quick fixes" and general good coaching?

It's not McKenna's team, he's not had them very long, so I'm not expecting us to turn up Tomorrow Night completely transformed and I don't think we're suddenly going to go from mid-table form to 2 points per game.

I'd settle for McKenna consistently improving the players individually and as a unit. If that gets us back into contention great, if it's better but still not quite enough to repair the damage done then so be it.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 09:11 - Dec 29 with 920 viewsSharkey

Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 13:09 - Dec 28 by textbackup

not really, the points difference is the same, and we have a side with championship experience under belts, we arent a team of complete mugs and no hopes

The difference is that there are plenty of other clubs in a better position to catch up the top 6.

In your terms, Colchester are in a better position than Town when it comes to getting promoted, being only 11 points off the play-offs with a game or two in hand. But they’re also 20th in the table.
Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 09:30 - Dec 29 with 897 viewstextbackup

Christmas Miracles and Mckenna.. on 09:11 - Dec 29 by Sharkey

The difference is that there are plenty of other clubs in a better position to catch up the top 6.

In your terms, Colchester are in a better position than Town when it comes to getting promoted, being only 11 points off the play-offs with a game or two in hand. But they’re also 20th in the table.

hopefully the players just give up then, and we get a half season refund.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024