Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Focus for the summer has to be on creativity 09:04 - Mar 16 with 1681 viewsElderGrizzly

We have no-one in the top 20 for assists and you ‘only’ need 6 assists to make that list.

That’s quite poor considering all the talent at our disposal?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-one/top-scorers/assists

Anyone on that list we can attract for next season?

Focus for the summer has to be on creativity on 09:09 - Mar 16 with 1643 viewsGeoffSentence

Is that because we don't have one main supply line for opportunities, and assists are spread around a number of different players or because our strike force doesn't make the most of the opportunities supplied?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Focus for the summer has to be on creativity on 09:13 - Mar 16 with 1614 viewsElderGrizzly

Focus for the summer has to be on creativity on 09:09 - Mar 16 by GeoffSentence

Is that because we don't have one main supply line for opportunities, and assists are spread around a number of different players or because our strike force doesn't make the most of the opportunities supplied?

Probably a bit of both, but Wigan for example have 3 players in the top 20.

We are 10th as a team for assists and goals which is probably why we are where we are.
Focus for the summer has to be on creativity on 09:14 - Mar 16 with 1601 viewsBseaBlue

I think some of that is because we haven't take some big chances as well though. I am sure I've seen something somewhere which shows Celina in the top three for key passes/chances created.

Hopefully we can find that 20 goal a season striker in the summer to put them away. (Fingers crossed we keep Celina too!)
Focus for the summer has to be on creativity on 09:21 - Mar 16 with 1571 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Other issue is that we rotate our front 3 so much that its difficult for any of them to get the stats to get on the list.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Focus for the summer has to be on creativity on 09:23 - Mar 16 with 1566 viewsElderGrizzly

Focus for the summer has to be on creativity on 09:21 - Mar 16 by Marshalls_Mullet

Other issue is that we rotate our front 3 so much that its difficult for any of them to get the stats to get on the list.

We’re only rotating them because none are scoring with any frequency
Focus for the summer has to be on creativity on 09:26 - Mar 16 with 1550 viewsitfcjoe

Assists does not equal creativity

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Focus for the summer has to be on creativity on 09:28 - Mar 16 with 1543 viewsElderGrizzly

Focus for the summer has to be on creativity on 09:26 - Mar 16 by itfcjoe

Assists does not equal creativity

It’s not equal i agree, but it’s an indication of our impotency in the final 3rd compared to our rivals
Focus for the summer has to be on creativity on 09:28 - Mar 16 with 1540 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Focus for the summer has to be on creativity on 09:23 - Mar 16 by ElderGrizzly

We’re only rotating them because none are scoring with any frequency

I don't think that's the case.

I think KM rotates based on individual strengths and who we are playing against.

You need to give players a sustained run of games to get consistency.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Login to get fewer ads

Focus for the summer has to be on creativity on 09:29 - Mar 16 with 1532 viewsElderGrizzly

Focus for the summer has to be on creativity on 09:28 - Mar 16 by Marshalls_Mullet

I don't think that's the case.

I think KM rotates based on individual strengths and who we are playing against.

You need to give players a sustained run of games to get consistency.

To a degree, but I believe if we had Bonne in the form he was in in the first 18 games he would start every game.
Focus for the summer has to be on creativity on 09:32 - Mar 16 with 1516 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Focus for the summer has to be on creativity on 09:29 - Mar 16 by ElderGrizzly

To a degree, but I believe if we had Bonne in the form he was in in the first 18 games he would start every game.

If he had continued that form I think QPR would have sold him. It was never going to last.

Focus for the summer has to be on creativity on 09:39 - Mar 16 with 1497 viewsclive_baker

I think it'll be interesting to see if KM sticks with the back 3 with wingbacks that's we've gone for since he joined, I'm not sure if that's a preferred system of his or a needs must. United tend to play a back 4, I remember Spurs having some success with this system but not sure if that aligned with KM's time there.

A part of me thinks we've gone with 3 at the back because he doesn't think we're good enough or robust enough defensively for a back 4, and it's certainly made us a tougher nut to crack, although that's due to far more than shape and the back 3. Maybe we haven't had the personnel in his mind, especially on the left hand side. Burns plays with a great freedom anyway but a solid and dependable left back would perhaps free up Edwards to kick on ahead of him. He's a rough diamond and in no way the finished article but I do feel like he could thrive under KM's wing. He seems to like the box of 3 centrally, probably being Morsy, Evans + 1, and the 1 up top who I would wager won't be someone currently at the club. For all the talk of not as much change in the summer, which there won't be, we'll still be looking at 10 in and 10 out I would think including loans.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Focus for the summer has to be on creativity on 09:42 - Mar 16 with 1470 viewsdavblue

Focus for the summer has to be on creativity on 09:28 - Mar 16 by ElderGrizzly

It’s not equal i agree, but it’s an indication of our impotency in the final 3rd compared to our rivals

even if we improved our set pieces that all adds up on assists and goals scored (i know that's an obvious statement) it's appears something we need to improve, i haven't looked at the stats but i assume ours is middle to lower on goals scored from set pieces.
Focus for the summer has to be on creativity on 10:05 - Mar 16 with 1340 viewsFixed_It

Focus for the summer has to be on creativity on 09:39 - Mar 16 by clive_baker

I think it'll be interesting to see if KM sticks with the back 3 with wingbacks that's we've gone for since he joined, I'm not sure if that's a preferred system of his or a needs must. United tend to play a back 4, I remember Spurs having some success with this system but not sure if that aligned with KM's time there.

A part of me thinks we've gone with 3 at the back because he doesn't think we're good enough or robust enough defensively for a back 4, and it's certainly made us a tougher nut to crack, although that's due to far more than shape and the back 3. Maybe we haven't had the personnel in his mind, especially on the left hand side. Burns plays with a great freedom anyway but a solid and dependable left back would perhaps free up Edwards to kick on ahead of him. He's a rough diamond and in no way the finished article but I do feel like he could thrive under KM's wing. He seems to like the box of 3 centrally, probably being Morsy, Evans + 1, and the 1 up top who I would wager won't be someone currently at the club. For all the talk of not as much change in the summer, which there won't be, we'll still be looking at 10 in and 10 out I would think including loans.

I really like Edwards. End product is obviously his issue. Next season I'd play him with the instruction NOT to shoot* - take that responsibility off his shoulders so that he just concentrates on creating.

*unlrss its a tap-in obviously
[Post edited 16 Mar 2022 10:06]

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Focus for the summer has to be on creativity on 10:34 - Mar 16 with 1272 viewsSheffordBlue

Focus for the summer has to be on creativity on 10:05 - Mar 16 by Fixed_It

I really like Edwards. End product is obviously his issue. Next season I'd play him with the instruction NOT to shoot* - take that responsibility off his shoulders so that he just concentrates on creating.

*unlrss its a tap-in obviously
[Post edited 16 Mar 2022 10:06]

I think he's one of those players who probably needed a goal to unlock a steady stream of them. Hopefully McKenna and the rest of coaching team can turn him into a left sided Burns for next season.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Focus for the summer has to be on creativity on 10:57 - Mar 16 with 1234 viewstractorboy1978

I'd be surprised if we change from a back 3. We look so comfortable playing with it and it switches pretty fluidly into a 4-2-3-1 with Burns playing so far forwards and Donacien stepping across. We look so well coached now.
Focus for the summer has to be on creativity on 11:09 - Mar 16 with 1187 viewsbournemouthblue

Focus for the summer has to be on creativity on 09:14 - Mar 16 by BseaBlue

I think some of that is because we haven't take some big chances as well though. I am sure I've seen something somewhere which shows Celina in the top three for key passes/chances created.

Hopefully we can find that 20 goal a season striker in the summer to put them away. (Fingers crossed we keep Celina too!)

We do create quite a lot of guilt edged chances which are wasted

I think it's pretty clear that none of our strikers quite fit into the system McKenna wants to play, it seems to have rendered Bonne pretty ineffective and Jackson of all the strikers seems to fit the mould for what McKenna wants but is still not the long term answer I suspect.
[Post edited 16 Mar 2022 11:09]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Focus for the summer has to be on creativity on 11:26 - Mar 16 with 1122 viewsDarth_Koont

I think we’re already a back 4 as Donacien and Thompson are pretty much playing as fullbacks.

But yes we can strengthen the middle with Donacien moving there when we’re under pressure and defending. So still a bit of a hybrid.

Pronouns: He/Him

Focus for the summer has to be on creativity on 17:12 - Mar 16 with 853 viewsHighgateBlue

An assist is only an assist if a goal is scored. I suggest we focus on getting in a goal scorer. It's plainly taking our chances which is the main problem.
Focus for the summer has to be on creativity on 17:26 - Mar 16 with 814 viewsVic

Focus for the summer has to be on creativity on 17:12 - Mar 16 by HighgateBlue

An assist is only an assist if a goal is scored. I suggest we focus on getting in a goal scorer. It's plainly taking our chances which is the main problem.

That was my first thought too! After a blistering start when we created little but scored loads (a high conversion rate) we seem to create more but score few.

I’d be interested to see the stats on chances created because like others have pointed out, assists are not the whole story.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Focus for the summer has to be on creativity on 17:59 - Mar 16 with 767 viewschicoazul

Assists reflect a teams ability to score goals not create chances to score goals. No good being Celina if you’re feeding Rory Fallon and Samassi Abou, your assists numbers will be diabolical.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Focus for the summer has to be on creativity on 18:39 - Mar 16 with 713 viewsjayessess

Celina's 11th for chances created per 90 and lots of the players above him take more set pieces. Last I checked he was near the top of the league for "expected assists" too, which measures the quality of chances.

I don't think you can look at our last 2 months and conclude our problem is chance creation. Since losing to Sheffield Wednesday, not a single team has statistically created more chances than us in a game and only two (Gillingham and MK Dons) have been close. We're now at 6 "xg wins" in a row. No use to us of course, but suggests our problem is taking rather than making chances.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024