Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fitness not transfers 09:05 - Dec 29 with 2954 viewsmuccletonjoe

As we go into new year and January transfer window , I am not a believer in the theory that our promotion hopes rest upon who we manage to recruit in an over inflated transfer market.
In my opinion it relies more squarely with the players we already have staying fit and available.
If we manage to do that , I think we have the best possible chance of automatic promotion and only an extraordinary run of form from our two main rivals will prevent us from being a championship club next season.
Fitness not transfers on 09:09 - Dec 29 with 2656 viewsDubtractor

To an extent I agree, but we've only got 3 central midfielders available for the next few months (one being a kid, albeit a very good one), and we've only got one player who looks convincing as a centre forward.

Another injury or suspension in those positions and we suddenly look much less convincing. We need reinforcements, and I'm 100% certain we'll see them.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Fitness not transfers on 09:20 - Dec 29 with 2571 viewsdavblue

Fitness not transfers on 09:09 - Dec 29 by Dubtractor

To an extent I agree, but we've only got 3 central midfielders available for the next few months (one being a kid, albeit a very good one), and we've only got one player who looks convincing as a centre forward.

Another injury or suspension in those positions and we suddenly look much less convincing. We need reinforcements, and I'm 100% certain we'll see them.

Standing still is going backwards.

Deffo need 3 players imo to bulk up enhance on what we have already.
Fitness not transfers on 09:24 - Dec 29 with 2542 viewsxrayspecs

It is both. Keeping the existing team fit and strengthening so that we have good cover. As per Andy Warren article in EADT, most folk would agree that a proven forward to support Ladapo (would take Wickham as a short term option albeit not convinced he is mobile enough for KM) and a physical central midfielder to replace Ball are two obvious areas that need strengthening. Another attacking midfield option (Whittaker would be great, but unlikely) and possibly cover for JD would be the areas to look at.

I believe MA mentioned a couple of players when interviewed recently, and we can only add two senior players to the squad, unless we de-register Ball to create a third space. TJJ is classified as an U21, so even if he was to go back to Arsenal, we would still be limited to 2/3 seniors.
Fitness not transfers on 09:25 - Dec 29 with 2525 viewsmuccletonjoe

Fitness not transfers on 09:09 - Dec 29 by Dubtractor

I think the "another injury or suspension" quote sums up my point exactly.
Fitness not transfers on 10:14 - Dec 29 with 2359 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Fitness not transfers on 09:25 - Dec 29 by muccletonjoe

And what if they don't? (Stay Fit).

'Keeping players fit' is a sweeping statement that completely ignores any on pitch incidents, that the club can do nothing about.

Do you want us to drop our levels of intensity over the remaining half of the season?

The likes of Morsy, Evans, Wolfie, Burgess and Donacien to pull out of 50/50 balls for the next 5 months?

If we do any of the above, we end up in the playoffs. We need reinforcements.
[Post edited 29 Dec 2022 10:17]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Fitness not transfers on 10:21 - Dec 29 with 2294 viewsclive_baker

We can't go into the 2nd half of the season with these forward options.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Fitness not transfers on 10:25 - Dec 29 with 2265 viewsKeno

Fitness not transfers on 10:21 - Dec 29 by clive_baker

We can't go into the 2nd half of the season with these forward options.

IMHO we need

Centre midfielder
Attacking midfielder
Striker

I don’t suppose they will come cheap

And it may be we do loans with an option to buy

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Fitness not transfers on 10:31 - Dec 29 with 2225 viewsDubtractor

Fitness not transfers on 09:25 - Dec 29 by muccletonjoe

I just don't think it is realistic to expect that limited pool of players to stay fit or suspension free for half a season though.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Login to get fewer ads

Fitness not transfers on 10:34 - Dec 29 with 2211 viewsFrimleyBlue

I'm Intrigued by KMs talk of squad size and talks of others having big squads yet working with a small squad here.

Just mind games... or could he perhaps want 4/5 more players with 2/3 being under 21..

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Fitness not transfers on 10:35 - Dec 29 with 2206 viewsOldFart71

Whilst I agree that we need all available players fit we are a bit thin on the ground in some areas. It won't hurt to get in a decent striker. Is Edwards the answer to the super sub question and what about KVY when Donacien is not available or the midfield if Evans or Morsy are injured or suspended. We cannot make the same errors as in the past where we either need extra help or to replace a sold player and don't do anything about it. If we were to spend a significant amount and then heaven forbid not get promotion the team would have to be reassessed. But let's not look on the gloomy side. We are getting promoted. Hopefully without the dreaded and in my opinion pointless playoffs.
Fitness not transfers on 10:35 - Dec 29 with 2206 viewsWickets

I don't disagree either but think as the club has stated we will be active in transfer windows looking to strengthen as and when needed . So if we can sign better that what we have in one or two positions we will do so . KM has been clear in what is needed was i an Ashton quote and injures happen and i think we have a 2 or 3 out for the rest of the season of course .
Fitness not transfers on 10:37 - Dec 29 with 2194 viewsEly_Blue

Fitness not transfers on 09:24 - Dec 29 by xrayspecs

It is both. Keeping the existing team fit and strengthening so that we have good cover. As per Andy Warren article in EADT, most folk would agree that a proven forward to support Ladapo (would take Wickham as a short term option albeit not convinced he is mobile enough for KM) and a physical central midfielder to replace Ball are two obvious areas that need strengthening. Another attacking midfield option (Whittaker would be great, but unlikely) and possibly cover for JD would be the areas to look at.

I believe MA mentioned a couple of players when interviewed recently, and we can only add two senior players to the squad, unless we de-register Ball to create a third space. TJJ is classified as an U21, so even if he was to go back to Arsenal, we would still be limited to 2/3 seniors.

I believe we can get 4 players if we de register Ball

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Fitness not transfers on 10:42 - Dec 29 with 2153 viewsDyland

Two of our central midfielders are out for the season, pretty much. And we deffo need another quality striker option.

If we want to keep in the top two, anyway.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Fitness not transfers on 12:19 - Dec 29 with 1924 viewsIllinoisblue

Imagine a situation where Morsy or Ladapo get a significant injury and have to miss 6 to 8 weeks. Being inactive in the transfer window would look fairly reckless. A moot point anyway as Ashton has already made it very clear there’ll be business done.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Fitness not transfers on 12:27 - Dec 29 with 1883 viewsWallingford_Boy

Disagree.

Quality CB (to replace JD) and a striker needed.

If Burns and Walton can get back to their old form, then we are sorted.

RIP Sir Bobby

Fitness not transfers on 12:30 - Dec 29 with 1873 viewsSheffordBlue

Fitness not transfers on 12:27 - Dec 29 by Wallingford_Boy

Disagree.

Quality CB (to replace JD) and a striker needed.

If Burns and Walton can get back to their old form, then we are sorted.

JD is playing as much more of a right back than a CB. He's started every single game under McKenna that he's been fit.

We might want some back up for him (although I think KVY does okay there) but I really don't think it's a priority.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Fitness not transfers on 12:32 - Dec 29 with 1867 viewsBigCommon

I'd agree with the OP, that if our full squad was fighting fit, then we'd be well set for the second half of the season.. But with Ball, TJJ and Camara effectively out for the rest of the season, then we definitely need some reinforcements in central areas. I don't mind Luongo joining, if he's proved he's up to it, whilst training here. Would be a big upgrade on Bakinson who we drafted in as cover, last January, imo..
There's been talk in some interviews about the lift and bounce a few quality additions can give to the squad, at this stage of the season. So, all the messaging points to some extra bodies coming in during the window, imo.
Fitness not transfers on 12:39 - Dec 29 with 1849 viewsWallingford_Boy

Fitness not transfers on 12:30 - Dec 29 by SheffordBlue

JD is playing as much more of a right back than a CB. He's started every single game under McKenna that he's been fit.

We might want some back up for him (although I think KVY does okay there) but I really don't think it's a priority.

Oh no, not a priority I’d agree, just think he’s maybe the weaker of the back three.

RIP Sir Bobby

Fitness not transfers on 12:51 - Dec 29 with 1817 viewsclive_baker

Fitness not transfers on 10:42 - Dec 29 by Dyland

Two of our central midfielders are out for the season, pretty much. And we deffo need another quality striker option.

If we want to keep in the top two, anyway.

I agree. Think we're going to be wanting 2 players for each position which means we're well set by way of keepers and defenders.

Middle is light given Ball and Camara are out. So 1 more there to add to Evans, Morsy, Humphreys. Perhaps a loanee or short term contract would be prudent given we've got those 2 senior players to come back. Otherwise we'll have 6 on the roster for next season, and we would probably be looking to add there if we went up.

Aluko, Harness, Chaplin, Edwards might be seen as sufficient for the time being, although I don't really see Edwards in the #10 role, so perhaps another head there, but that's less of a priority for me. Again maybe a loan.

Ladapo needs help. Ahadme is a project and I don't see Jackson leading the line. This is the priority area, and I imagine it's one we're looking at given we chased a few around in the summer and didn't land them.

So a #9 as the priority and perhaps a versatile midfielder / attacking midfield. Either loan or permanent, I'm relaxed about loanees given we effectively have no loans as it stands, what with TJJ out for a while.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Fitness not transfers on 13:01 - Dec 29 with 1737 viewsITFC_Josh

Fitness not transfers on 12:39 - Dec 29 by Wallingford_Boy

Oh no, not a priority I’d agree, just think he’s maybe the weaker of the back three.

We’ve been playing a back 4 for quite a while now. He’s a RB.
Fitness not transfers on 13:04 - Dec 29 with 1723 viewsWakh

We shouldn't stand still and have had games that we should have won, and perhaps might have done with an extra option or two upfront.

But besides all that this window gives us an opportunity (outside of FFP) to strengthen a little for the championship.
[Post edited 29 Dec 2022 13:27]
Fitness not transfers on 13:23 - Dec 29 with 1681 viewscressi

Fitness not transfers on 13:04 - Dec 29 by Wakh

We shouldn't stand still and have had games that we should have won, and perhaps might have done with an extra option or two upfront.

But besides all that this window gives us an opportunity (outside of FFP) to strengthen a little for the championship.
[Post edited 29 Dec 2022 13:27]

We definitely need a striker a injury to Ladapo and we are down the river without a paddle.
Also cover in midfield
Fitness not transfers on 17:35 - Dec 29 with 1492 viewsWestcountryblue

For me, i'd like to see another striker through the door, a central midfielder and another wide player, retaining TJJ who is under 21 and available when returns to full fitness.

I don't think we need to/or should splash the cash, as we have the core of a very good squad already. Luongo fits the bill perfectly as high quality cover to Evans & Morsy. I'd also potentially look to bring El Miz back and move Humphreys out on loan. Up top, a bit of muscle and brawn is needed and someone like Wickham will probably convert more chances than Ahadme. Out wide, i think we need some cover for Burns, as he's absolutely essential to way we play.
Fitness not transfers on 17:45 - Dec 29 with 1470 viewsjas0999

The club clearly disagree, as they fully expect to be active in the market. Two or at a stretch three good additions could make all the difference. A striker is a must, particularly with TJJ out for a while and Jackson being utilised in other areas.
Fitness not transfers on 17:45 - Dec 29 with 1470 viewsxrayspecs

Fitness not transfers on 10:37 - Dec 29 by Ely_Blue

I believe we can get 4 players if we de register Ball

I believe it is 2 + Ball.

Of the 22 first team outfield players on the club website, only TJJ and Humphreys count as U21s. If we de-register Ball, then we have three senior outfield places we can fill. The limit is 22 senior players.

We can supplement with as many U21s as we want.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024