Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Morsy 09:23 - Sep 7 with 4570 viewsRobTheMonk

I genuinely don’t know how we got him to drop down to League 1. I genuinely think you could stick him into some Premier League midfields and he wouldn’t look out of place. I mean, he’ll be in our Prem midfield next season!

First month in and he’s already been recognised as one of the top performers which as a combative midfielder speaks volumes in my book.

I’ve not seen a player grab games like he did against Cardiff (although he didn’t have the best first half in that game) since probably Magilton. Second half, he was setting the standards driving forward, big tackles. Just wonderful to watch.

I think we all wish he was 5 years younger!
Morsy on 09:26 - Sep 7 with 3871 viewsvilanovablue

If he were 5 years younger and playing like this I am pretty sure he would be at a higher level.
Morsy on 09:27 - Sep 7 with 3851 viewsStewart27

There are not many more superlatives that we can throw at our skipper. The ultimate professional.

If he was 5 years younger he probably wouldn’t be playing for us!
Morsy on 09:27 - Sep 7 with 3846 viewsKeno

We promised he could post an TWTD as Frimmers

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Morsy on 09:27 - Sep 7 with 3851 viewsitfcsuth

Initially he didn't want to to be fair to him - the deal was good for him though - and I think he'll probably admit himself it's one of the best moves he has made in his career.

It has worked out fantastically well for both of us. Promotion, captain, adored & now back in an Egypt squad.

Beating heart of this side.
Morsy on 09:34 - Sep 7 with 3812 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

As good as he's been for Town, he's too slow for the top flight, same with Mass and Evans. They would really struggle. Our future is Humphries, he's got to be our focus to build around in the middle.
Morsy on 09:41 - Sep 7 with 3787 viewsChurchman

Morsy on 09:34 - Sep 7 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

As good as he's been for Town, he's too slow for the top flight, same with Mass and Evans. They would really struggle. Our future is Humphries, he's got to be our focus to build around in the middle.

Not sure about that. No, he doesn’t have much pace but he has that priceless ability to not give the ball away (rarely anyway). His awareness of who is around him is great too. The other thing he has is presence. Few players have it and I can’t really define it, but he’s got it in spades.

Had he been a little younger I could see him doing quite well in the PL with the right club (us!).
Morsy on 09:52 - Sep 7 with 3739 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

Morsy on 09:41 - Sep 7 by Churchman

Not sure about that. No, he doesn’t have much pace but he has that priceless ability to not give the ball away (rarely anyway). His awareness of who is around him is great too. The other thing he has is presence. Few players have it and I can’t really define it, but he’s got it in spades.

Had he been a little younger I could see him doing quite well in the PL with the right club (us!).

I would expect he'd struggle in the modern Premier League, well to be fair, as much as the likes of say Burnley level players do, the other issue is how soft the referees are at that level, he's been singled out and sent off for nothing in that league. Just look at all the crying from Leeds about he and Mass (ha, Leeds complaining about being tackled...)
Morsy on 09:55 - Sep 7 with 3726 views_clive_baker_

Morsy on 09:52 - Sep 7 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

I would expect he'd struggle in the modern Premier League, well to be fair, as much as the likes of say Burnley level players do, the other issue is how soft the referees are at that level, he's been singled out and sent off for nothing in that league. Just look at all the crying from Leeds about he and Mass (ha, Leeds complaining about being tackled...)

He probably lacks a little pace and speed of thought in the Premier League, but he's perfect at this level and was embarrassingly good at the one below. I think if you asked the central midfielders of L1 who their toughest opponent was you would hear Morsy's name a fair few times.

He's certainly tough in the tackle, very strong physically and walks a tightrope at times, but generally he's on the right side of hard but fair. Clarke's tackle against Cardiff on the Cobbold touchline was probably worse than any of Morsy's this season.
Login to get fewer ads

Morsy on 10:08 - Sep 7 with 3677 viewsSheffordBlue

Morsy on 09:55 - Sep 7 by _clive_baker_

He probably lacks a little pace and speed of thought in the Premier League, but he's perfect at this level and was embarrassingly good at the one below. I think if you asked the central midfielders of L1 who their toughest opponent was you would hear Morsy's name a fair few times.

He's certainly tough in the tackle, very strong physically and walks a tightrope at times, but generally he's on the right side of hard but fair. Clarke's tackle against Cardiff on the Cobbold touchline was probably worse than any of Morsy's this season.

I think the fact that the other players in League One voted him into the PFA team of the season supports your view here.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Morsy on 11:39 - Sep 7 with 3484 viewsFrimleyBlue

Morsy on 09:27 - Sep 7 by itfcsuth

Initially he didn't want to to be fair to him - the deal was good for him though - and I think he'll probably admit himself it's one of the best moves he has made in his career.

It has worked out fantastically well for both of us. Promotion, captain, adored & now back in an Egypt squad.

Beating heart of this side.

He's an example really to many players who turn their noses up at dropping to a lower league, some go that way and you never see them again, but he's shown it can still work the other way.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Morsy on 12:17 - Sep 7 with 3403 viewsLion

He came here for Paul Cook and if you remember he was very, very upset when Paul was let go and probably didn't even want to be here anymore. But you are right, he is an excellent player and an excellent captain. I think undoubtedly he is the best midfielder we have had since Matt Holland who had an excellent engine but was a little too nice for me, always concerned me he didn't get booked enough for a central midfielder for my liking. Sam has got that nasty edge that you need and i thought it was ever so impressive when he went through that run of ( 5? ) games last season where he couldn't be booked without incurring a ban without seemingly diluting his game. I wish he was younger because I'd love to build a side around him for the next ten years but if he was younger, surely we would struggle to hold on to him. I love Conor but Sam was player of the year last year for me and do you know what? I think he is playing even better this year. Fuc@ing love him. A true warrior and a leader of men.

Poll: Is Blue Badger ( booooooooooooooo ) a cyber bully?

Morsy on 12:41 - Sep 7 with 3300 viewsitfcjoe

We paid him a boat load of cash and his current club wanted to shift his wage.

I'll link it below - but a really interesting article in why the 'number 6' role is so valuable and expensive now and the 3 biggest transfers in recent time to PL are Declan Rice, Moises Caicedo and Enzo Fernandez

It talks about how they play - being able to secure the ball, to take it under a heavy press, to retain it nearly always, to win the ball back etc and I'd love to see how 'elite' Morsy was in L1, and how he is doing in the Champ by the same metrics they used.

I've no doubt he was elite in L1 as Rice and Caicedo were in the PL though with regards to impact

https://theathletic.com/4787143/2023/08/20/caicedo-rice-lavia-transfer-fees/

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Morsy on 13:14 - Sep 7 with 3176 viewsMenton

If he was two footed, he’d have been a Prem player I suspect. He’s so one-footed but amazingly it doesn’t cause him any problems. His habit of drawing 1-2 players in whilst driving with the ball is so valuable to us.

Gareth McCauley in Dead Man's Shoes
Poll: Which of our strikers will get injured for the Republic of Ireland tomorrow?

Morsy on 13:16 - Sep 7 with 3136 viewsElephantintheRoom

Money - and Town’s plan at the time as to recreate Wigan.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Morsy on 17:47 - Sep 7 with 2874 viewsEireannach_gorm

I would forgive Paul Cook for everything for the sole act of persuading Morsy to come to the club.
Morsy on 19:32 - Sep 7 with 2780 viewsSitfcB

Morsy on 17:47 - Sep 7 by Eireannach_gorm

I would forgive Paul Cook for everything for the sole act of persuading Morsy to come to the club.

And Chaplin.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Morsy on 21:35 - Sep 7 with 2620 viewsFrimleyBlue

Morsy on 19:32 - Sep 7 by SitfcB

And Chaplin.

It's funny really.

Brings in chappers. Morsy etc

Nearly bin off wolfy for nsiala

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Morsy on 01:47 - Sep 8 with 2479 viewsSharkey

Morsy on 12:17 - Sep 7 by Lion

He came here for Paul Cook and if you remember he was very, very upset when Paul was let go and probably didn't even want to be here anymore. But you are right, he is an excellent player and an excellent captain. I think undoubtedly he is the best midfielder we have had since Matt Holland who had an excellent engine but was a little too nice for me, always concerned me he didn't get booked enough for a central midfielder for my liking. Sam has got that nasty edge that you need and i thought it was ever so impressive when he went through that run of ( 5? ) games last season where he couldn't be booked without incurring a ban without seemingly diluting his game. I wish he was younger because I'd love to build a side around him for the next ten years but if he was younger, surely we would struggle to hold on to him. I love Conor but Sam was player of the year last year for me and do you know what? I think he is playing even better this year. Fuc@ing love him. A true warrior and a leader of men.

"I think undoubtedly he is the best midfielder we have had since Matt Holland "

Undoubtedly? That seems harsh on Magilton.
Morsy on 06:23 - Sep 8 with 2392 viewsPioneerBlue

Morsy on 01:47 - Sep 8 by Sharkey

It’s difficult for clubs to have genuine like for like player pipelines and in some cases it is an opportunity to do something different when they leave but in this case I hope we have a player pipeline with options! You don’t only lose the player on the pitch and all the leadership that goes with it here but everything off it too.

GC20
MOL
MA
Super KMcK
Super SM

That is leadership right there.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Morsy on 08:24 - Sep 8 with 2285 viewsBlueBoots

Morsy on 12:41 - Sep 7 by itfcjoe

We paid him a boat load of cash and his current club wanted to shift his wage.

I'll link it below - but a really interesting article in why the 'number 6' role is so valuable and expensive now and the 3 biggest transfers in recent time to PL are Declan Rice, Moises Caicedo and Enzo Fernandez

It talks about how they play - being able to secure the ball, to take it under a heavy press, to retain it nearly always, to win the ball back etc and I'd love to see how 'elite' Morsy was in L1, and how he is doing in the Champ by the same metrics they used.

I've no doubt he was elite in L1 as Rice and Caicedo were in the PL though with regards to impact

https://theathletic.com/4787143/2023/08/20/caicedo-rice-lavia-transfer-fees/

It's always been such an important role...don't know why we missed out on this transfer (ME's penny-pinching, RK's personality or just London v Ipswich), but QPR won the league when they signed Derry ahead of us.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/transfer-news-crystal-palace-star-3

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Morsy on 08:32 - Sep 8 with 2263 viewsBlueBoots

Morsy on 09:41 - Sep 7 by Churchman

I don't think Morsy is too short on pace once he gets going driving with the ball; as he's a big fella it's just initial acceleration, but he easily compensates for that by being so strong on the ball.

I think the most important thing about Morsy is that his standards and will to win rubs off on the players around him (Magilton used to have that too - remember him coming off the pitch after a game we won with a face like thunder because despite winning we didn't play particualrly well!) I can imagine our players being desperate to be on his team even when we play small-sided games in training!

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Morsy on 09:39 - Sep 8 with 2184 viewsVegtablue

Morsy on 01:47 - Sep 8 by Sharkey

Very harsh on our Jim, who made at least 200 appearances in the top flight. I'm not old enough to fairly compare the two but I remember him being a giant for us.
Morsy on 09:56 - Sep 8 with 2129 viewstextbackup

This isn’t a dig, but for so many years we were told by many on here how great Skuse was, and how important his sideways passing was to the team. And how we’d never get a player that could preform more than one role to a high standard.

We now have a bloke in the same position that has multiple strings to his bow.
-Drives team on
-Breaks up play
-Assists
-Scores

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Morsy on 13:43 - Sep 8 with 2002 viewsChurchman

Morsy on 09:56 - Sep 8 by textbackup

This isn’t a dig, but for so many years we were told by many on here how great Skuse was, and how important his sideways passing was to the team. And how we’d never get a player that could preform more than one role to a high standard.

We now have a bloke in the same position that has multiple strings to his bow.
-Drives team on
-Breaks up play
-Assists
-Scores

I suspect this will go down like a lead balloon with some, but in my opinion Morsy is a much better player than Skuse was.

As a point of interest and with the help of a time turner, if the forum had a straight choice between the two, who would you choose?
Morsy on 14:27 - Sep 8 with 1950 viewstextbackup

Morsy on 13:43 - Sep 8 by Churchman

I suspect this will go down like a lead balloon with some, but in my opinion Morsy is a much better player than Skuse was.

As a point of interest and with the help of a time turner, if the forum had a straight choice between the two, who would you choose?

I get the argument that Skuse had 10/11 seasons in the championship, but was he ever more than a 6.5/10 on a regular basis? I can’t say I saw it.

Morsy is better than him in ever aspect IMO.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024