Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sitting down at away games 11:55 - Aug 12 with 10989 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

If your gonna do it sit at the front. Poor atmosphere yesterday which is a Shame as we travelled in good numbers. It just makes things difficult that some want to stand and some want to sit. Surely there is a way to organise this so people who want to stand are not told to sit.

However, I did enjoy the performance and thought we were unlucky. This is going to take time but it will work.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2018 11:56]

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Sitting down at away games on 14:05 - Aug 12 with 3494 viewslongtimefan

Sitting down at away games on 13:55 - Aug 12 by ElderGrizzly

But should fans with kids or older fans who can’t stand avoid certain games just because others are ignorant?

I’ve stopped going to away games since getting a back condition that meant I can’t stand for more than 15 minutes at a time. Had too many games where I missed half the game through having to sit when those in front insisted on standing. Obviously worse when assigned sitting is in place but not necessarily better when not as I hate watching a match from a pitch level view.
Sitting down at away games on 14:24 - Aug 12 with 3480 viewsnoggin

A good few years ago, Kingy had me thrown out of Sunderland after I had words with an old fellow who rudly told me to sit down. The game hadn't even started.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Sitting down at away games on 14:26 - Aug 12 with 3462 viewssparks

Sitting down at away games on 14:24 - Aug 12 by noggin

A good few years ago, Kingy had me thrown out of Sunderland after I had words with an old fellow who rudly told me to sit down. The game hadn't even started.

You think you were in the right there dont you?

A fascinating insight.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Sitting down at away games on 14:30 - Aug 12 with 3455 viewsnoggin

Sitting down at away games on 14:26 - Aug 12 by sparks

You think you were in the right there dont you?

A fascinating insight.

Did you miss the bit where I said he 'rudely' told me to sit down?
[Post edited 12 Aug 2018 14:35]

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Sitting down at away games on 15:50 - Aug 12 with 3396 viewsPinewoodblue

Sitting down at away games on 14:30 - Aug 12 by noggin

Did you miss the bit where I said he 'rudely' told me to sit down?
[Post edited 12 Aug 2018 14:35]

or the bit where you said the match hadn't even started!

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Sitting down at away games on 15:53 - Aug 12 with 3395 viewssparks

Sitting down at away games on 15:50 - Aug 12 by Pinewoodblue

or the bit where you said the match hadn't even started!

Or the bit where his (over)reaction got him removed by the police... Oh.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Sitting down at away games on 15:56 - Aug 12 with 3391 viewsTendring_Blue

Sitting down at away games on 11:59 - Aug 12 by itfcpaul

I think you will find thst you shouldn't be standing at grounds anyway so basically you are blaming people for staying within the regulations!!

the most nonsensical regulation in the world.

Safe Standing!
Sitting down at away games on 18:13 - Aug 12 with 3325 viewsTractorWood

Sitting down at away games on 13:55 - Aug 12 by ElderGrizzly

But should fans with kids or older fans who can’t stand avoid certain games just because others are ignorant?

I don't think anyone should avoid anything if they really want to go. However, both parties need to approach situations with consideration and be reasonable. The issue is that it's perfectly acceptable and probably an expectation for the majority of fans and games to stand up in the away end but it's equally reasonable to want to sit down for whatever reason.

I've seen one chap stand up amongst 200 people sitting down at Derby a few years ago and I've also seen a bloke at Newcastle away 15 rows back trying to get 80 people to sit down in front of him. People need to use their common sense and move if it's a real problem. The vast majority of our away ends aren't sold out and stewarding on the whole in England is pretty accomodating and respectful if you are reasonable.

We all go to watch the Towen, so just be reasonable and enjoy the game.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2018 18:15]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Login to get fewer ads

Sitting down at away games on 18:15 - Aug 12 with 3321 viewsitfcpaul

Sitting down at away games on 18:13 - Aug 12 by TractorWood

I don't think anyone should avoid anything if they really want to go. However, both parties need to approach situations with consideration and be reasonable. The issue is that it's perfectly acceptable and probably an expectation for the majority of fans and games to stand up in the away end but it's equally reasonable to want to sit down for whatever reason.

I've seen one chap stand up amongst 200 people sitting down at Derby a few years ago and I've also seen a bloke at Newcastle away 15 rows back trying to get 80 people to sit down in front of him. People need to use their common sense and move if it's a real problem. The vast majority of our away ends aren't sold out and stewarding on the whole in England is pretty accomodating and respectful if you are reasonable.

We all go to watch the Towen, so just be reasonable and enjoy the game.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2018 18:15]

All great points but you can't stand in football grounds remember so the only ones that are doing anything wrong are the ones that stand yet they are the ones that object being asked to do as they should do

Poll: Who would you want as Ipswich manager in November. there aren't many candidates

Sitting down at away games on 18:32 - Aug 12 with 3299 viewsTractorWood

Sitting down at away games on 18:15 - Aug 12 by itfcpaul

All great points but you can't stand in football grounds remember so the only ones that are doing anything wrong are the ones that stand yet they are the ones that object being asked to do as they should do

You are correct in legal form but in substance it's generally accepted by every fan base in the country to stand at away games, the regualtions are not enforced by broadly any stewards in the country and clubs are not fined or scorned for their failure to comply with it.

To say you can't stand at football games is a far too binary approach to take to actually quite a complex issue. It's madness there isn't safe standing.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2018 18:34]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Sitting down at away games on 18:33 - Aug 12 with 3295 viewsBloomBlue

I purchased a seat ticket I'll sit on it thanks. If you want to stand, stand outside the ground
Sitting down at away games on 20:00 - Aug 12 with 3249 viewsSlambo

Sitting down at away games on 11:59 - Aug 12 by itfcpaul

I think you will find thst you shouldn't be standing at grounds anyway so basically you are blaming people for staying within the regulations!!

Isn't it discretionary..? Cardiff have actual areas in their ground designated for standing; every ground in the country will have people standing on matchday. If the authorities were to do a random inspection, they could catch a club out effortlessly. So either there is no law making fans sit, or it's discretionary, or it's utterly toothless. Either way, it's clearly nothing to worry about. Also, going to Hillsborough (of all places) a couple of seasons back, the stewards checked with everyone coming into the stand whether they wanted to sit or stand and directed them accordingly. Easy.

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

Sitting down at away games on 21:03 - Aug 12 with 3214 viewsElderGrizzly

Sitting down at away games on 20:00 - Aug 12 by Slambo

Isn't it discretionary..? Cardiff have actual areas in their ground designated for standing; every ground in the country will have people standing on matchday. If the authorities were to do a random inspection, they could catch a club out effortlessly. So either there is no law making fans sit, or it's discretionary, or it's utterly toothless. Either way, it's clearly nothing to worry about. Also, going to Hillsborough (of all places) a couple of seasons back, the stewards checked with everyone coming into the stand whether they wanted to sit or stand and directed them accordingly. Easy.

No, it’s not discretionary and is against every ground regulation in the country, unless they have safe standing.

The FA and Football League have and can reduce allocations to clubs and shut down areas of the ground for persistent standing. They won’t very often, but they can. Man Utd have been made an example of a few times
Sitting down at away games on 21:49 - Aug 12 with 3158 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Sitting down at away games on 21:03 - Aug 12 by ElderGrizzly

No, it’s not discretionary and is against every ground regulation in the country, unless they have safe standing.

The FA and Football League have and can reduce allocations to clubs and shut down areas of the ground for persistent standing. They won’t very often, but they can. Man Utd have been made an example of a few times

It is technically against regulations but those regulations have been ignored by most clubs for a while now

Ipswich have been informally allowing standing in the SBRL for some time

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Sitting down at away games on 23:27 - Aug 12 with 3111 viewsnorth_stand77

Sitting down at away games on 12:10 - Aug 12 by SitfcB

Rotherham isn’t great as it’s not that ‘deep’. It’s also quite steep.

Most away games it’s a good split, sitters at front and standers in the middle/back because the stands are ‘deeper’.

So Sitters...

I want to know, ' is Sitters a sitter or is Sitters a stander?'
Sitting down at away games on 00:09 - Aug 13 with 3081 viewsSouthend_Tractor

At Derby away last season we were told that we had to take our allocated seats for kick off but as soon as the match started we'd be free to move. 30 seconds in and the stewards announced that everyone was free to move and that above a certain point was for people wishing to stand and below that point was for people that wished to sit. Anybody that wanted to move did so accordingly and there were no issues.

I appreciate that as a midweek game the away end wasn't particularly full which made it easier for this to be organised, however, it was a good bit of common sense and worked. It is obviously a lot more difficult to do this at games that are very busy but with some of the stadiums in this league and the fact the league seems to now be based up north can't see this been too much of an issue for the majority of games this year, we won't sell out many away games.

I generally find at most grounds in the league we are very lightly policed and as a result of this the stewards aren't too bad and are fairly tolerant as long as people don't start acting like idiots.
Sitting down at away games on 06:23 - Aug 13 with 3044 viewsBenters2

Sitting down at away games on 21:03 - Aug 12 by ElderGrizzly

Derby v Leeds the Leeds fans werent given their full allocation over 'clears throat' safety issues.

I cant remember the last time i sat down at a game tbh,maybe Forest a long time ago when the stewards were giving people warnings about standing,one warning to sit down if you were caught again you were out.

Also a Chelsea cup game standing at the front.
Sitting down at away games on 06:25 - Aug 13 with 3044 viewsBenters2

Sitting down at away games on 14:24 - Aug 12 by noggin

Perhaps he wanted to see the players warming up,some people like that sort of thing ...
Sitting down at away games on 06:39 - Aug 13 with 3037 viewsBenters2

Sitting down at away games on 18:15 - Aug 12 by itfcpaul

Please excuse me if im wrong,but are you the chap with the disabled wife?

So you are always in the front row is that right?

Having said that i remember being a Upton Park and the disabled section was right up the top!
Sitting down at away games on 07:25 - Aug 13 with 3008 viewsBloomBlue

Sitting down at away games on 20:00 - Aug 12 by Slambo

I often drive at 100mph + and I've never been stopped so I've assumed the 70mph limit is discretionary
Sitting down at away games on 08:37 - Aug 13 with 2976 viewsCurrie10

Derby county used to at least give fans the options for away tickets which I thought was a superb idea :)
Sitting down at away games on 09:12 - Aug 13 with 2960 viewsMugwump

Sitting down at away games on 13:29 - Aug 12 by PJH

Although that is not strictly true because you pay for "a seat" and you get a ticket with a specific seat on but that is not necessarily the seat that you would choose if given a choice.
It is the seat that you have paid for but may not be the seat that you want.

But if you buy a seat for a train, the opera, or even a pantomime you wouldn't decide to sit somewhere else, you would sit on the seat you were allocated. What if 6 people want to sit together but can't because some other people have taken those seats?

I can understand some people standing and singing at certain exciting parts of the game but why all of the game? This sort of action prevents some old people and people with young kids going. Do you stand on the train on the way up?
Sitting down at away games on 09:16 - Aug 13 with 2956 viewstractorshark

I go to more away games than home games due to geographical reasons.
I’ve been taking my two sons for years and they love the away days.
At most games, particularly London, I expect to stand which means holding my youngest up for 90 minutes.
Now he’s 10, that’s very good weight training.
But we’d be the first to admit standing creates a better atmosphere.
However, there are many others, including the elderly and families, who don’t want to stand or can’t and shouldn’t have to pay ridiculous sums to see very little.
Why more clubs don’t do ‘sit where you like’ is beyond me. If you wish to stand, go to the back.
If you announce it before the day of the game, then everyone is aware and can arrive accordingly.
I don’t mind turning up early to get the kids a good vantage point. I did it at Brentford and Burton where it is standing.
Millwall used to say it was sit where you like as long as you stayed in the correct block. That seemed an acceptable compromise.
Alternatively, instead of selling seats row by row as Ipswich do now, maybe there would be a way of dividing our allocation on the ticket site into standing and sitting areas.
If I do find my boys’ view hindered by a proverbial tree, I find a sensible conversation solves the problem.
No need for shouting or threatening, just explain the situation and most blokes (no matter how trollied they are) will accommodate you either by moving slightly or putting a shorter bloke in front of you.
I’m sure the fact I have a kid present probably helps and others may have had different experiences.
Predictably, the only times I have seen anyone flare up, it has involved late teens trying to look hard.
But that is just a passage of life. In a few years’ time, they will realise they are acting like tw*ts.
Sitting down at away games on 09:32 - Aug 13 with 2940 viewsFreddies_Ears

It should be simple. Everyone has a right to sit, no-one has a right to stand. I am fine with standing provided it does not stop someone else from sitting if they want to. We're fine most games; whenever the away end is "sit where you want" , and most others where the away end isn't full. Stand towards the back, sit towards the front kind of works most of the time.
Sitting down at away games on 10:50 - Aug 13 with 2879 viewsBlue_Order

Don’t even bother with safe standing, just have a mosh pit at the front.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024