Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? 09:01 - Aug 28 with 30333 viewsElderGrizzly

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 18:24 - Aug 28 with 2514 viewsEwan_Oozami

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 14:05 - Aug 28 by jaykay

so he just turned up one day and found himself a m.p. and pm. without anybody voting for him.

He has been parachuted into the safest of safe Tory seats, which meant that he was guaranteed to be an MP as soon as he became a candidate, he was voted for by less than 100,000 people who were members of his own party - and no, he didn't just find himself being an MP and PM, he ruthlessly exploited the process that would make him those things.

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 18:29 - Aug 28 with 2500 viewsTrequartista

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 11:26 - Aug 28 by Herbivore

As previously pointed out that's a stupid idea. If you have three options and you say one can win with just 25.1% of the vote that is madness. If you want a three option referendum it needs to be done on a preference system, nothing else will suffice.

As previously pointed out, having 2 referendums where leave beats remain in both, and then remaining, is the stupid idea, and one that would trump all the previously mentioned anti-democratic moves

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 18:31 - Aug 28 with 2491 viewsTrequartista

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 11:37 - Aug 28 by SpruceMoose

After all this time you still know nothing Jon Slow.

No argument, just name-calling, standard response.

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 18:35 - Aug 28 with 2484 viewssolemio

Liz? How dare you?

Madge to you.
Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 18:35 - Aug 28 with 2484 viewsSpruceMoose

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 18:31 - Aug 28 by Trequartista

No argument, just name-calling, standard response.

Oh Trekkie.

You've never presented anything worth arguing with.

That's your standard right there.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 18:39 - Aug 28 with 2478 viewsTrequartista

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 18:35 - Aug 28 by SpruceMoose

Oh Trekkie.

You've never presented anything worth arguing with.

That's your standard right there.

I've suggested a double-standard, until someone manages to refute it, my point stands.

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 18:57 - Aug 28 with 2467 viewsSpruceMoose

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 18:39 - Aug 28 by Trequartista

I've suggested a double-standard, until someone manages to refute it, my point stands.

Only in your noggin matey, only in your noggin. Just like the time you said words can't be racist!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 19:07 - Aug 28 with 2451 viewsTrequartista

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 18:57 - Aug 28 by SpruceMoose

Only in your noggin matey, only in your noggin. Just like the time you said words can't be racist!

So still nothing to offer, and a lie tagged on the end. What a poster.

Login to get fewer ads

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 19:08 - Aug 28 with 2447 viewsSpruceMoose

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 19:07 - Aug 28 by Trequartista

So still nothing to offer, and a lie tagged on the end. What a poster.

Feel free to dig up the thread and prove me wrong.

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 19:19 - Aug 28 with 2431 viewsTrequartista

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 19:08 - Aug 28 by SpruceMoose

Feel free to dig up the thread and prove me wrong.

Why on earth would i want to waste time doing that. What happened if i recall is that I debated on the severity of racism of words, or more specifically names, against racist actions, and your closed pc mind went "ooooh no racism thought police arrest this man he's debating racism and all the rules are set and must be obeyed, BE PURE, BEHAVE" or some such nonsense.

Still no argument against why it is double-standards to only protest against the anti-democratic measures you happen to disagree with?

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 19:23 - Aug 28 with 2422 viewsSpruceMoose

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 19:19 - Aug 28 by Trequartista

Why on earth would i want to waste time doing that. What happened if i recall is that I debated on the severity of racism of words, or more specifically names, against racist actions, and your closed pc mind went "ooooh no racism thought police arrest this man he's debating racism and all the rules are set and must be obeyed, BE PURE, BEHAVE" or some such nonsense.

Still no argument against why it is double-standards to only protest against the anti-democratic measures you happen to disagree with?

"Why on earth would i want to waste time doing that."

Well, obviously you wouldn't want to do that... because it would show me right and you wrong. Other people read the thread and commented. They know what you said and how you tried to swerve your way out of it.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2019 19:23]

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 19:26 - Aug 28 with 2418 viewsWeWereZombies

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 17:46 - Aug 28 by NthQldITFC

I realised that, just mildly surprised at how quick Rees-Mogg and Cleverley got up to Balmoral. Bu99ers must have flown up!

EDIT: Sorry, not Cleverley, some bloke from Marks and Sparks apparently, and a Baroness, no less.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2019 17:48]

One person who was not there but maybe should have been was the Speaker of the House:

'House of Commons Speaker John Bercow said it was a "constitutional outrage".

The Speaker, who does not traditionally comment on political announcements, continued: "However it is dressed up, it is blindingly obvious that the purpose of [suspending Parliament] now would be to stop [MPs] debating Brexit and performing its duty in shaping a course for the country."' From https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49493632

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 19:27 - Aug 28 with 2416 viewsGlasgowBlue

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 19:23 - Aug 28 by SpruceMoose

"Why on earth would i want to waste time doing that."

Well, obviously you wouldn't want to do that... because it would show me right and you wrong. Other people read the thread and commented. They know what you said and how you tried to swerve your way out of it.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2019 19:23]

Come on lads, we've had six pages of civil debate over a subject that has the potential to cause those with opposing views to fall out with each other.

Let's keep the civility going.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 19:28 - Aug 28 with 2410 viewsSpruceMoose

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 19:27 - Aug 28 by GlasgowBlue

Come on lads, we've had six pages of civil debate over a subject that has the potential to cause those with opposing views to fall out with each other.

Let's keep the civility going.

Not sure you're in any position to lecture on civility Glassers me old boy!

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 19:34 - Aug 28 with 2401 viewsGlasgowBlue

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 19:28 - Aug 28 by SpruceMoose

Not sure you're in any position to lecture on civility Glassers me old boy!

It's a request not a lecture.

Iron Lion Zion

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 19:35 - Aug 28 with 2400 viewsSpruceMoose

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 19:34 - Aug 28 by GlasgowBlue

It's a request not a lecture.

I have a feeling that I shall be reminding you of this fairly regularly in the not too distant future!

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 19:36 - Aug 28 with 2397 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 18:05 - Aug 28 by pointofblue

I say this as a Remainer. On point 3 - if the Remainers had backed the withdrawal agreement we'd have left by now. They outnumber the Hard Brexiteers.

True. And if hard line Brexiteers had, we would have done too. The "compromise" suits no one. It is, in some respects, the worst of all worlds. It is why a simple yes-no referendum to an uneducated electorate was such a stupid idea in the first place.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 19:38 - Aug 28 with 2392 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 18:29 - Aug 28 by Trequartista

As previously pointed out, having 2 referendums where leave beats remain in both, and then remaining, is the stupid idea, and one that would trump all the previously mentioned anti-democratic moves

I must have missed that second referendum.

Was it another straight leave or stay one or did it actually face up to do we want to take the deal, leave without one or remain?

Remind what percentages voted for each of those very clear options (with a reference to the data).

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 19:40 - Aug 28 with 2390 viewsHerbivore

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 18:29 - Aug 28 by Trequartista

Christ this is hard work. If you have two leave options you can't assume that a vote for one is a vote for both. If remain gets 49.9% and the two different versions of leave get 25% and 25.1% of the vote you can't claim the 25.1% version of leave has won. You either need a preference voting system or to pick one version of leave and run that off against remain. Your suggestion is ridiculous.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 19:43 - Aug 28 with 2382 viewsNthsuffolkblue

He hasn't actually prorogued per se has he?

He has asked for a Queen's Speech which will reduce the time frame that parliament sits for hasn't he?

It will still sit before the Queen's speech as things stand, will it not?

Assuming Johnson loses the vote of no confidence as soon as parliament reconvenes his attempts to destroy the democratic process (all in the name of honouring that greatest of democratic votes that trumps all others) are futile are they not? Or does he have up his sleeve another way to prevent the no confidence vote?

Were he to lose sufficient members of his party he may well be about to become a leader of a minority Government anyway.

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 19:46 - Aug 28 with 2373 viewsSpruceMoose

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 19:40 - Aug 28 by Herbivore

Christ this is hard work. If you have two leave options you can't assume that a vote for one is a vote for both. If remain gets 49.9% and the two different versions of leave get 25% and 25.1% of the vote you can't claim the 25.1% version of leave has won. You either need a preference voting system or to pick one version of leave and run that off against remain. Your suggestion is ridiculous.

I'd give up if I were you.

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 19:47 - Aug 28 with 2368 viewsGlasgowBlue

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 19:43 - Aug 28 by Nthsuffolkblue

He hasn't actually prorogued per se has he?

He has asked for a Queen's Speech which will reduce the time frame that parliament sits for hasn't he?

It will still sit before the Queen's speech as things stand, will it not?

Assuming Johnson loses the vote of no confidence as soon as parliament reconvenes his attempts to destroy the democratic process (all in the name of honouring that greatest of democratic votes that trumps all others) are futile are they not? Or does he have up his sleeve another way to prevent the no confidence vote?

Were he to lose sufficient members of his party he may well be about to become a leader of a minority Government anyway.

If he loses a vote of confidence he can do what Jim Callaghan did in 1979, suspend Parliament for six weeks and call a general election.

We'd crash out with no deal during this period.

Iron Lion Zion

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 19:48 - Aug 28 with 2366 viewsSpruceMoose

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 19:47 - Aug 28 by GlasgowBlue

If he loses a vote of confidence he can do what Jim Callaghan did in 1979, suspend Parliament for six weeks and call a general election.

And Sprucey be all like...

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 19:51 - Aug 28 with 2360 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 19:47 - Aug 28 by GlasgowBlue

Is that actually correct? Are there not 2 weeks for alternatives to prove they can form a government? He can only do that in the failure of anyone to do so. With so much at stake, the more moderate MPs will rally behind someone even if they can't actually bring themselves to do so around Corbyn. In fact, wasn't there some agreement yesterday to that effect that precipitated Johnson into this course of action?

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 19:59 - Aug 28 with 2343 viewsWeWereZombies

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 19:51 - Aug 28 by Nthsuffolkblue

Is that actually correct? Are there not 2 weeks for alternatives to prove they can form a government? He can only do that in the failure of anyone to do so. With so much at stake, the more moderate MPs will rally behind someone even if they can't actually bring themselves to do so around Corbyn. In fact, wasn't there some agreement yesterday to that effect that precipitated Johnson into this course of action?

It may have done, in which case do we see the demise of Corbyn before we see the demise of Johnson?

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024