Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? 09:01 - Aug 28 with 30214 viewsElderGrizzly

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:46 - Aug 28 with 1418 viewsHerbivore

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:37 - Aug 28 by Trequartista

Nobody voted for or against no deal as it wasn't on the ballot paper. You are just clinging onto that narrative because you don't like the result. I don't like the result either. But i think ignoring a national referendum is more anti-democratic.

It's not being ignored though, is it? A deal to leave was negotiated but was rejected by Parliament, including by Brexiteers. That doesn't mean that leaving without a deal has a mandate. The only real democratic solution to this mess is another referendum.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:46 - Aug 28 with 1419 viewsGlasgowBlue

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:43 - Aug 28 by Swansea_Blue

That suggestion seems to be gaining traction on the Twittersphere. An 'interesting' move if so.

Now if only they'd have voted for May's deal.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2019 10:47]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:48 - Aug 28 with 1406 viewsHerbivore

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:39 - Aug 28 by m14_blue

I think this is Boris instigating a vote of no confidence.

He wants an election but can’t be seen to call one.

Clever politics but absolutely despicable and shows the contempt he holds for our great democracy.

You may be right. It's such a nuclear move that it forces a no confidence vote and enough moderate Tories may well back it. He's been basically running an election campaign for weeks anyway. Whether he succeeds in winning a GE or not may depend on the position the Brexit Party adopts. So Farage is now the kingmaker. What a time to be alive.

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:50 - Aug 28 with 1398 viewsGuthrum

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:37 - Aug 28 by Trequartista

Nobody voted for or against no deal as it wasn't on the ballot paper. You are just clinging onto that narrative because you don't like the result. I don't like the result either. But i think ignoring a national referendum is more anti-democratic.

This is not a Parliamentary attempt to stop Brexit from happening at all, but instead to make sure that it does not happen without at least a proper withdrawal agreement to cover the transition.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:52 - Aug 28 with 1386 viewsDarth_Koont

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:43 - Aug 28 by Herbivore

The previous parliament voted to trigger Article 50, not this one. Also, nobody voted for no deal so being opposed to no deal is not a betrayal of democracy in the slightest. There can be no justification for shutting down parliament.

The indicative vote on No Deal was 400 votes against and only 160 for. So how is No Deal the "democratic" option 6 months later?

The closest so far to a democratic option is leaving the EU but remaining in the Customs Union. That's also a deal that fully respects the referendum result rather than focusing on a slim majority that probably doesn't even exist nowadays.

Pronouns: He/Him

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:54 - Aug 28 with 1381 viewsSwansea_Blue

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:46 - Aug 28 by GlasgowBlue

Now if only they'd have voted for May's deal.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2019 10:47]

And then they wonder why politicians are held in such low esteem by the public. It's just games to them.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:55 - Aug 28 with 1381 viewsfooters

We're crashing out! Hold on, peeps- Global Britain's going to be one hell of a ride :) Choo choo

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 11:00 - Aug 28 with 1361 viewsGuthrum

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:31 - Aug 28 by Herbivore

If Boris pushes forward with no deal Brexit he takes all of the Brexit Party and UKIP voters. That will see him get a majority. Labour are massively unpopular and Lib Dems support is too spread out. FPTP will work in favour of a Tory majority.

But he loses all the swing voters and a lot of the moderate Conservatives. There are a number of vulnerable formerly-LD seats in the South-West (e.g. Cheltenham, Taunton Deane, Torbay) which could well swing back again, especially if deals are made with the Greens.

BP has already hoovered up all the UKIP vote and their support is as spread out as the LDs (including in safe Labour seats up north and already Conservative areas along the Thames).

Login to get fewer ads

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 11:04 - Aug 28 with 1346 viewsGlasgowBlue

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:50 - Aug 28 by Guthrum

This is not a Parliamentary attempt to stop Brexit from happening at all, but instead to make sure that it does not happen without at least a proper withdrawal agreement to cover the transition.

We had one of those. Parliament rejected it.

As I said previously, a small number of remainers and a small number of hard Brexiters gambled that voting against May's deal would precipitate their desired outcome.

Only one side could be right.

Iron Lion Zion

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 11:05 - Aug 28 with 1342 viewscaught-in-limbo

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:44 - Aug 28 by Herbivore

I'm going to get some like minded people together and head down to London whenever anything is happening. It needs to be on a big, visible scale. We can't just let this happen.

While I completely agree with you, it's worth thinking about all the times I've posted stuff about:

a) our sham democracy
b) sleep-walking into fascism
c) controlled chaos
d) fascism coming in the name of anti-fascism
e) inept / complicit media

The global "west" is in a chaos (but it has been fomented by different means across different countries) and autocratic "order" will come to save us from ourselves (the pseudo-fascist state which is being painted for us by the media and their actors in parliament) and so called aggressor states.

Any efforts to effectively end our multi-party parliamentary democracy (prorogue parliament / form a government of national unity) will be just a stepping stone to a much bigger, pan-continental form of governance.

Ignoring this will be worse than ignoring what's happened over the last 4 or 5 years.

EDIT
But this will be ignored because it's not easy to believe this can happen when nobody in your trusted news sources are entertaining it as a possibility.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2019 11:33]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 11:08 - Aug 28 with 1320 viewsSwansea_Blue

Bercow's not happy!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 11:12 - Aug 28 with 1298 viewsPinewoodblue

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 11:00 - Aug 28 by Guthrum

But he loses all the swing voters and a lot of the moderate Conservatives. There are a number of vulnerable formerly-LD seats in the South-West (e.g. Cheltenham, Taunton Deane, Torbay) which could well swing back again, especially if deals are made with the Greens.

BP has already hoovered up all the UKIP vote and their support is as spread out as the LDs (including in safe Labour seats up north and already Conservative areas along the Thames).

The conservatives are also likely to lose the ten or so seats they gained in Scotland

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 11:14 - Aug 28 with 1289 viewsGlasgowBlue

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 11:08 - Aug 28 by Swansea_Blue

Bercow's not happy!

"Commons Speaker John Bercow says "it is blindingly obvious that the purpose of prorogation now would be to stop Parliament debating Brexit and performing its duty in shaping a course for the country"

Parliament has done little else for two years than debate Brexit. The WA went before Parliament on three separate occasions.

Other than cancelling Brexit, which I'm continually told is not on the agenda, what more do they need to debate?

Iron Lion Zion

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 11:17 - Aug 28 with 1278 viewsDarth_Koont

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 11:14 - Aug 28 by GlasgowBlue

"Commons Speaker John Bercow says "it is blindingly obvious that the purpose of prorogation now would be to stop Parliament debating Brexit and performing its duty in shaping a course for the country"

Parliament has done little else for two years than debate Brexit. The WA went before Parliament on three separate occasions.

Other than cancelling Brexit, which I'm continually told is not on the agenda, what more do they need to debate?

The wisdom and indeed the legitimacy of our corrupt government's newly chosen option? Crazy, I know.

Or the government could refer to the indicative vote on No Deal to back its position .... oh.

Pronouns: He/Him

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 11:20 - Aug 28 with 1247 viewsElderGrizzly

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 11:14 - Aug 28 by GlasgowBlue

This amazing deal that Johnson’s team have promised to bring back? Surely MPs need time to debate it?

It’s a sh*tty, power-grabbing Eton coup...
Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 11:20 - Aug 28 with 1244 viewsGuthrum

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 11:04 - Aug 28 by GlasgowBlue

We had one of those. Parliament rejected it.

As I said previously, a small number of remainers and a small number of hard Brexiters gambled that voting against May's deal would precipitate their desired outcome.

Only one side could be right.

Absolutely.

The problem is that the final battle for that outcome will be politically and constitutionally messy, not to mention damaging for the country.

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 11:21 - Aug 28 with 1233 viewsTrequartista

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:46 - Aug 28 by Herbivore

It's not being ignored though, is it? A deal to leave was negotiated but was rejected by Parliament, including by Brexiteers. That doesn't mean that leaving without a deal has a mandate. The only real democratic solution to this mess is another referendum.

As previously stated I am in favour of a final referendum whereby we choose which leave option we wanted. I think we can also put in a remain option and still respect the result as long as remain only wins if it commands over 50%

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 11:22 - Aug 28 with 1233 viewsGlasgowBlue

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 11:17 - Aug 28 by Darth_Koont

The wisdom and indeed the legitimacy of our corrupt government's newly chosen option? Crazy, I know.

Or the government could refer to the indicative vote on No Deal to back its position .... oh.

The gamble seems to be that as the EU won't move on the WA agreement because they think Parliament will stop no deal, then taking that option away from parliament may see the EU back down.

Not so sure they will.

Iron Lion Zion

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 11:24 - Aug 28 with 1215 viewsPinewoodblue

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:43 - Aug 28 by Herbivore

The previous parliament voted to trigger Article 50, not this one. Also, nobody voted for no deal so being opposed to no deal is not a betrayal of democracy in the slightest. There can be no justification for shutting down parliament.

The current session of Parliament began in May 2017 despite the fact we have a different prime minister it is the same parliament.

All Boris is doing is ending the parliamentary session with a fresh one to follow beginning with The Queen's speech. He is taking advantage of procedure to get his way.

Nothing to stop the leader of the opposition from proposing a vote of no confidence.

Corbyn outmanoeuvred again.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 11:26 - Aug 28 with 1208 viewsElderGrizzly

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 11:24 - Aug 28 by Pinewoodblue

The current session of Parliament began in May 2017 despite the fact we have a different prime minister it is the same parliament.

All Boris is doing is ending the parliamentary session with a fresh one to follow beginning with The Queen's speech. He is taking advantage of procedure to get his way.

Nothing to stop the leader of the opposition from proposing a vote of no confidence.

Others are thinking along similar lines too

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 11:26 - Aug 28 with 1202 viewsHerbivore

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 11:21 - Aug 28 by Trequartista

As previously stated I am in favour of a final referendum whereby we choose which leave option we wanted. I think we can also put in a remain option and still respect the result as long as remain only wins if it commands over 50%

As previously pointed out that's a stupid idea. If you have three options and you say one can win with just 25.1% of the vote that is madness. If you want a three option referendum it needs to be done on a preference system, nothing else will suffice.

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 11:27 - Aug 28 with 1203 viewsGuthrum

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 11:22 - Aug 28 by GlasgowBlue

The gamble seems to be that as the EU won't move on the WA agreement because they think Parliament will stop no deal, then taking that option away from parliament may see the EU back down.

Not so sure they will.

One of the biggest problems with this whole situation has been the rigid "game theory" approach that by being tough you're likely to get more of what you want rather than by rational compromise. A concept espoused by macho supposed business experts who in reality are only good at using borrowed money to bully small companies.

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 11:29 - Aug 28 with 1187 viewsm14_blue

Yes, and the vote to trigger article 50 was in Feb 2017..........
Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 11:30 - Aug 28 with 1185 viewsHerbivore

Article 50 was triggered before the last GE, ergo we have a different parliament and government now than the one that triggered Article 50.

"All Boris is doing..." - you are an apologist, pure and simple. There is no justification for him suspending parliament at this juncture and trying to downplay it shows you in a very bad light.

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 11:37 - Aug 28 with 1164 viewsSpruceMoose

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:25 - Aug 28 by Trequartista

Are you going to be taking to the streets if the national referendum result is ignored, which I would suggest is more anti-democratic, or do you just protest against the anti-democratic measures you don't agree with?

After all this time you still know nothing Jon Slow.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024