Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? 09:01 - Aug 28 with 30211 viewsElderGrizzly

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:11 - Aug 28 with 2079 viewsBrixtonBlue

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:06 - Aug 28 by chicoazul

I dont remember you saying many reasons why he might not be, happy to be corrected.

You understand how language works don't you? "Might" equally means "might not." That's how the word works.

The reasons why he might not were/are already known and well documented. There was no need for me to repeat them.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:14 - Aug 28 with 2066 viewstractordownsouth

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:09 - Aug 28 by crunchie1978

how on earth have you reached that ridiculous conclusion?

He’s bypassing parliament ( which is sovereign, as per the constitution) to get through his own desired outcome, because he knows he doesn’t have the numbers in parliament to do it... how is that not fascism? He’s literally ignoring the constitution.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:14 - Aug 28 with 2066 viewsGuthrum

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:47 - Aug 28 by chicoazul

Is it unbelievable though? I think I know what you mean but you have to remember who we are dealing with here, and it's not "Boris" it's Cummings and the other thuggish libertarians and anti-democrats "Boris" has surrounded himself with.

Anyway it's all over. No Deal is happening. We face years of the fat blonde cnt and his mates slowly continuing to run down the infrastructure systems and institutions of this once-great nation before we beg to get let back in to the EU (with full membership incl. the Euro) in 2035.

I really can't see a Johnson government surviving No Deal very long, especially if it goes anywhere near as badly as some authorities expect, doubly so if he's had to indulge in anti-democratic shenanigans to get it through.

How much plundering is allowed to happen depends upon who comes after and what their options are.

That last is the saddest bit of the whole scenario. The waste of time, money and prosperity, leaving us in a far less advantageous position than before.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:15 - Aug 28 with 2064 viewsNthQldITFC

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:07 - Aug 28 by Guthrum

That may be what Johnson's advisors are hoping. However, there is really very little room for movement on the EU's part, given the further red lines which the UK government has added to those which may was insisting upon - plus the lack of anything more than vague platitudes regarding in-place technical solutions to the Irish border issue.

It's not as if Johnson is going all out on attempting to forge a last minute agreement. He's only just sent one moderately senior person over to Brussels to have some preliminary chats. It's not like he has a ministerially-led team in round-the-clock negotiations.

'It's not like he has a ministerially-led team in round-the-clock negotiations.'

Let's hope that comes to pass in the next few days then, with humility and positivity on both sides - I realise that may be a somewhat naive hope!

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:19 - Aug 28 with 2039 viewsHerbivore

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:14 - Aug 28 by Guthrum

I really can't see a Johnson government surviving No Deal very long, especially if it goes anywhere near as badly as some authorities expect, doubly so if he's had to indulge in anti-democratic shenanigans to get it through.

How much plundering is allowed to happen depends upon who comes after and what their options are.

That last is the saddest bit of the whole scenario. The waste of time, money and prosperity, leaving us in a far less advantageous position than before.

Boris' bluster and unstoppable press machine will ensure he wins a GE if one is held post-Brexit, no matter how badly it goes. Any negative consequences of Brexit will be blamed on the EU and/or remainers for refusing to back British interests.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:25 - Aug 28 with 2022 viewsTrequartista

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 09:42 - Aug 28 by SomethingBlue

Absolutely. In fact there needs to be civil disobedience on a massive scale. I fear this country in general is far too passive for that though.

Are you going to be taking to the streets if the national referendum result is ignored, which I would suggest is more anti-democratic, or do you just protest against the anti-democratic measures you don't agree with?

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:25 - Aug 28 with 2016 viewsGuthrum

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:19 - Aug 28 by Herbivore

Boris' bluster and unstoppable press machine will ensure he wins a GE if one is held post-Brexit, no matter how badly it goes. Any negative consequences of Brexit will be blamed on the EU and/or remainers for refusing to back British interests.

Not convinced about that. I tend to think it will be a hung Parliament, with the current alliance of Conservatives + DUP unable to command a majority. Best chance of a government might be some sort of LD-Lab-SNP-Green pact, tho it's debateable whether Corbyn would be acceptable as leader of that.

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:26 - Aug 28 with 2019 viewsNo9

Just announced the Queens speech will be on October 14
Anyone interested in stopping him must now write to their MP
Login to get fewer ads

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:26 - Aug 28 with 2012 viewscrunchie1978

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:14 - Aug 28 by tractordownsouth

He’s bypassing parliament ( which is sovereign, as per the constitution) to get through his own desired outcome, because he knows he doesn’t have the numbers in parliament to do it... how is that not fascism? He’s literally ignoring the constitution.

Hes bypassing parliament who seem intent on reversing a democratic decision....is he fascist or is parliament fascist?
Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:26 - Aug 28 with 2009 viewsHerbivore

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:25 - Aug 28 by Trequartista

Are you going to be taking to the streets if the national referendum result is ignored, which I would suggest is more anti-democratic, or do you just protest against the anti-democratic measures you don't agree with?

Nobody voted for no deal you plum.

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:27 - Aug 28 with 2005 viewsGeoffSentence

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:26 - Aug 28 by No9

Just announced the Queens speech will be on October 14
Anyone interested in stopping him must now write to their MP

Written to mine. Last time I did that it took weeks to get a response from the useless fvcker. By the time he gets round to it it will all be done and dusted.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:28 - Aug 28 with 1995 viewsGuthrum

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:26 - Aug 28 by crunchie1978

Hes bypassing parliament who seem intent on reversing a democratic decision....is he fascist or is parliament fascist?

Parliament are not currently seeking to stop Brexit, only to prevent leaving without a deal or agreement.

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:31 - Aug 28 with 1979 viewsHerbivore

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:25 - Aug 28 by Guthrum

Not convinced about that. I tend to think it will be a hung Parliament, with the current alliance of Conservatives + DUP unable to command a majority. Best chance of a government might be some sort of LD-Lab-SNP-Green pact, tho it's debateable whether Corbyn would be acceptable as leader of that.

If Boris pushes forward with no deal Brexit he takes all of the Brexit Party and UKIP voters. That will see him get a majority. Labour are massively unpopular and Lib Dems support is too spread out. FPTP will work in favour of a Tory majority.

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:31 - Aug 28 with 1975 viewsSomethingBlue

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:25 - Aug 28 by Trequartista

Just not a fan of authoritarian governments mate — if you are, then keep on loving it.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:32 - Aug 28 with 1968 viewsBloomBlue

But people voted to leave the EU, parliament voted to invoke article 50 and some MPs still want to stop it so those MPs are ignoring the constitution and that's fascism then.

That's the problem with this situation the same 'expressions' can be used on both sides of the arguement.
Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:34 - Aug 28 with 1944 viewsBrixtonBlue

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:32 - Aug 28 by BloomBlue

But people voted to leave the EU, parliament voted to invoke article 50 and some MPs still want to stop it so those MPs are ignoring the constitution and that's fascism then.

That's the problem with this situation the same 'expressions' can be used on both sides of the arguement.

The referendum wasn't legally binding.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:37 - Aug 28 with 1923 viewsTrequartista

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:26 - Aug 28 by Herbivore

Nobody voted for or against no deal as it wasn't on the ballot paper. You are just clinging onto that narrative because you don't like the result. I don't like the result either. But i think ignoring a national referendum is more anti-democratic.

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:38 - Aug 28 with 1910 viewstractordownsouth

Parliament is legally sovereign so has a right to debate it and give its views on Brexit, as well as making the necessary changes. So no Parliament is not fascist.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:39 - Aug 28 with 1895 viewsm14_blue

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:31 - Aug 28 by Herbivore

If Boris pushes forward with no deal Brexit he takes all of the Brexit Party and UKIP voters. That will see him get a majority. Labour are massively unpopular and Lib Dems support is too spread out. FPTP will work in favour of a Tory majority.

I think this is Boris instigating a vote of no confidence.

He wants an election but can’t be seen to call one.

Clever politics but absolutely despicable and shows the contempt he holds for our great democracy.
Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:39 - Aug 28 with 1889 viewsBobbychase

Nobody voted for a No Deal. It wasn't on the ballot

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:40 - Aug 28 with 1883 viewsDarth_Koont

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:26 - Aug 28 by Herbivore

Not only that but of course Article 50 was passed by parliament and the process to leave was begun.

It's only by ignoring the reality of the referendum campaign, the narrow result and the past three years of Brexiteer incompetence and self-sabotage that people can pretend that the government's current "Brexit at all costs" approach is in any way democratic.

We live in a world where a lot of politicians are dishonest and a lot of the electorate are too.

Pronouns: He/Him

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:42 - Aug 28 with 1861 viewsTrequartista

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:31 - Aug 28 by SomethingBlue

Just not a fan of authoritarian governments mate — if you are, then keep on loving it.

I am in agreement that it is anti-democratic - you haven't addressed my point at all though.

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:43 - Aug 28 with 1855 viewsGlasgowBlue

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:39 - Aug 28 by m14_blue

Clever politics but absolutely despicable and shows the contempt he holds for our great democracy.

To all those talking about Boris etc being anti democratic... by GlasgowBlue 28 Aug 2019 10:35
The last time a government lost a motion of No Confidence, Jim Callaghan suspended parliament for six weeks in order to fight a general election.

Isn't that exactly what Boris wants?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:43 - Aug 28 with 1855 viewsSwansea_Blue

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:39 - Aug 28 by m14_blue

That suggestion seems to be gaining traction on the Twittersphere. An 'interesting' move if so.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Liz to be asked to Prorogue parliament today? on 10:43 - Aug 28 with 1852 viewsHerbivore

The previous parliament voted to trigger Article 50, not this one. Also, nobody voted for no deal so being opposed to no deal is not a betrayal of democracy in the slightest. There can be no justification for shutting down parliament.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024