Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Let's get it out there on the record then... 12:40 - Oct 29 with 67420 viewsSpruceMoose

Voting intention?

Spruce: Currently undecided.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Let's get it out there on the record then... on 15:10 - Oct 29 with 3885 viewsbluelagos

If I lived in a marginal, whoever was most remain favouring candidate.

I don't. Will be voting green.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Let's get it out there on the record then... on 15:12 - Oct 29 with 3875 viewsGeoffSentence

Let's get it out there on the record then... on 13:48 - Oct 29 by StokieBlue

It matters little in my constituency:

Labour - Diane Abbott - 42,265 (75.1%)
Tory - Amy Gray - 7,126
Libs - Joe Richards - 3,817

SB

And in so many others although many have different party incumbents. In reality our elections are won and lost in a handful of marginals.

WIth our current system I would love to be in a marginal, all those goodies that all sides promise to throw at the constituents.

Anything but a proper PR system is totally undemocratic. And don't get me started on The House Of Lords.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Let's get it out there on the record then... on 15:19 - Oct 29 with 3855 viewsbluelagos

Let's get it out there on the record then... on 15:12 - Oct 29 by GeoffSentence

And in so many others although many have different party incumbents. In reality our elections are won and lost in a handful of marginals.

WIth our current system I would love to be in a marginal, all those goodies that all sides promise to throw at the constituents.

Anything but a proper PR system is totally undemocratic. And don't get me started on The House Of Lords.

Nail on head. Around 80 swing seats will be decided by say 5000 swing voters in each.

Wonder if the Libs or SNP held the balance of power they might actually insist on it rather than prioritise 2nd ref (EU - Scott Ind). Suspect they'd get one but not both in those scenarios.

Let's get it out there on the record then... on 15:44 - Oct 29 with 3833 viewsBrixtonBlue

Tory.

Only joking, Labour obvs.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Let's get it out there on the record then... on 15:46 - Oct 29 with 3832 viewsStokieBlue

To be fair, this thread has highlighted how partisan UK politics is.

Plenty of people have decided how they are voting before any manifestos are published or policies discussed.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Let's get it out there on the record then... on 15:48 - Oct 29 with 3826 viewsSarge

Lib Dem.
Only party that clearly opposes Brexit, only one with the balls to cancel it and the only (albeit distant) challenger to that spunktrumpet Raab in my constituency.
Let's get it out there on the record then... on 15:52 - Oct 29 with 3815 viewsBlueNomad

Let's get it out there on the record then... on 13:03 - Oct 29 by BanksterDebtSlave

Like it matters in rural Suffolk.

Same feeling here. Whatever Mrs Pragmatic and I vote we will lose because they don’t count the Tory vote here - they weigh it!
Let's get it out there on the record then... on 15:52 - Oct 29 with 3813 viewsBrixtonBlue

Let's get it out there on the record then... on 15:46 - Oct 29 by StokieBlue

Plenty of people have decided how they are voting before any manifestos are published or policies discussed.

SB

I think it's unlikely Corbyn's policies will have changed much from before.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Login to get fewer ads

Let's get it out there on the record then... on 15:53 - Oct 29 with 3807 viewsbluelagos

SB

Think quite a few of us are well versed on what's likely to be in the respective manifestos. Still, if the Tories were to say they'll put their deal to a 2nd ref, and commit to a carbon neutral UK by 2030, I'll happily reconsider.

Let's get it out there on the record then... on 15:54 - Oct 29 with 3804 viewsSteve_M

Let's get it out there on the record then... on 15:52 - Oct 29 by BrixtonBlue

By before you mean the early 1970s I presume?

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Let's get it out there on the record then... on 15:54 - Oct 29 with 3804 viewsHerbivore

SB

That's the beauty of having a GE every 18 months, you already know the headline policies from the last time the election was fought.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Let's get it out there on the record then... on 15:56 - Oct 29 with 3799 viewsSteve_M

I would vote Lib Dem ahead of a Labour Party lead by Corbyn but a) it won't make a great deal of difference and b) Kier Starmer is one of the few competent MPs on Labour's front bench.

https://electionresults.parliament.uk/election/2017-06-08/Results/Location/Const

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Let's get it out there on the record then... on 16:00 - Oct 29 with 3784 viewsBrixtonBlue

Let's get it out there on the record then... on 15:53 - Oct 29 by bluelagos

Think quite a few of us are well versed on what's likely to be in the respective manifestos. Still, if the Tories were to say they'll put their deal to a 2nd ref, and commit to a carbon neutral UK by 2030, I'll happily reconsider.

Even though you'd know they're lying (again)?

Let's get it out there on the record then... on 16:00 - Oct 29 with 3779 viewsBrixtonBlue

Let's get it out there on the record then... on 15:54 - Oct 29 by Steve_M

By before you mean the early 1970s I presume?

I was thinking more the last election.

Let's get it out there on the record then... on 16:02 - Oct 29 with 3773 viewsSpruceMoose

SB

I know the devil is in the detail, but I think it's a fair assumption that we know, generally speaking, what each of the parties will be running on and who they truly seek to represent though.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Let's get it out there on the record then... on 16:06 - Oct 29 with 3764 viewsbluelagos

Let's get it out there on the record then... on 16:00 - Oct 29 by BrixtonBlue

Even though you'd know they're lying (again)?

Under Boris - no I wouldn't vote for them for the reason you give.

Let's get it out there on the record then... on 16:11 - Oct 29 with 3742 viewsitfcjoe

SB

It also highlights the issues with FPTP in a huge amount of constitiuencies.

Realistically a lot of people will need to weigh up whether they can just vote 'anything but Tory', I'm happy to

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Let's get it out there on the record then... on 16:12 - Oct 29 with 3736 viewsPinewoodblue

Let's get it out there on the record then... on 15:54 - Oct 29 by Herbivore

That's the beauty of having a GE every 18 months, you already know the headline policies from the last time the election was fought.

Not really Labour stood on a promise to respect the result of the referendum. My vote in Suffolk South isn't g9ing to count.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Let's get it out there on the record then... on 16:13 - Oct 29 with 3736 viewsSwansea_Blue

Not sure yet. It'll be anyone but the Tories, but the problem I've got is that in 2017 Labour were ahead of the Tories by about 3,000 votes and everyone else was about 17,000 behind. I'm not sure I can bring myself to vote Labour either.

We've got a lot of rich English retirees in our patch and the Torygraph and Daily Mail fly off the newsagent shelves, so I imagine the Tory vote will be strong/up due to Brexit. I may have to swallow my pride/values and vote for a party under investigation for antisemitism (although our local MP is nice, if a bit quiet).

Horrendous really, knowing that to vote for one of the parties you'd like to vote for would be a wasted vote.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2019 16:22]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Let's get it out there on the record then... on 16:13 - Oct 29 with 3730 viewsGeoffSentence

SB

The parties major principals don't shift much though do they.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Let's get it out there on the record then... on 16:19 - Oct 29 with 3715 viewsStokieBlue

Let's get it out there on the record then... on 16:13 - Oct 29 by GeoffSentence

The parties major principals don't shift much though do they.

In reality you are of course correct.

It's more a conceptual point: what's the point in manifestos at all if people aren't going to take them into account? Might as well just vote tomorrow and not bother with the policies or the campaigning.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Let's get it out there on the record then... on 16:22 - Oct 29 with 3707 viewsSpruceMoose

Let's get it out there on the record then... on 16:19 - Oct 29 by StokieBlue

In reality you are of course correct.

It's more a conceptual point: what's the point in manifestos at all if people aren't going to take them into account? Might as well just vote tomorrow and not bother with the policies or the campaigning.

SB

I suppose there is still value in considering what's outside of a manifesto when you're voting for an extremely local representative. At best they can say 'we believe in these things too' but I need more from them than that. I need to know what they are going to do to improve my immediate situation in the constituency, in addition to those big ticket items.

Let's get it out there on the record then... on 16:26 - Oct 29 with 3699 viewsGaryCooper

Let's get it out there on the record then... on 15:52 - Oct 29 by BrixtonBlue

Really? He has flip flopped from a committed leaver to a 180 of remaining, he has more faces than an onion has skins.
Let's get it out there on the record then... on 16:28 - Oct 29 with 3695 viewsHerbivore

Let's get it out there on the record then... on 16:12 - Oct 29 by Pinewoodblue

Not really Labour stood on a promise to respect the result of the referendum. My vote in Suffolk South isn't g9ing to count.

Their current policy on Brexit is well known though, it's not like there's some secret plan they'll be unleashing. And offering a confirmatory vote is not contrary to respecting the vote in the first referendum either. Their manifesto on all other issues will be largely the same.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2019 16:30]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Let's get it out there on the record then... on 16:35 - Oct 29 with 3679 viewsSwansea_Blue

Let's get it out there on the record then... on 13:40 - Oct 29 by uefacup81

As an addendum to that, it'll be interesting to see what happens if the non-Tory parties come to some sort of understanding when it comes to Remain-supporting MPs.

Clive Lewis is pretty much as Remain as they come, and if the Greens and Lib Dems agreed to stand aside to aid his cause it would most likely be a Labour landslide.

Yes, this is what I'm looking out for as it may well reduce my choinces down to one.

You've had hell of a swing away from the LDs over there! That gives me hope that maybe past elections are necessairly a good guide, but I think we're pretty settled here. Labor and Tory have alsways had 70-80%+ of the vote between them.

We've got some poor regions of north west Swansea on the edge of the constituency that are Labour, have been for ever and always will be. And then we've got Gower which is dominated by Tory landowners, former stockbrokers and retired middleclasses that are only ever going to vote Tory or the Brexit Party depending on how Boris is going down.

Hstorically we've always been Labour, but in 2015 the Tories won it. Labour got it back in 2017 but the Tory vote was high (and their candidate since 2015, Bryon Davies, has recently received a pererage for his efforts).

It could be close again this time.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024