Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Things that have been got rid of against much opposition 10:23 - Feb 13 with 5968 viewsGeoffSentence

And looking back now seem utterly bizarre

Different wage scales specifically for women
Stubble burning
Not wearing a setbelt
Smoking in public
Sexist motor insurance rates

All of them were fought against vigorously by backward looking people and they have all been good to get rid of.

What's next?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 10:27 - Feb 13 with 4744 viewsfooters

The monarchy.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 10:28 - Feb 13 with 4733 viewsartsbossbeard

Mrs Beard was telling me that last nights' One Show had a feature around women now using barbers as it's cheaper and, well, it's just a fricking haircut. I'm angry thinking about it.

I can imagine my fume if I walk in and there's a long haired lass having her hair washed and a queue of blokes waiting. It upsets the equilibrium. If there's 3 in front of you, you know that with two barbers working, you're going to be in the chair within 20mins or so. Add a long haired lass into the equation and it's uncalculatable. Madness.

Women, ruining things for men since Year 0.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 10:29 - Feb 13 with 4731 viewsWeWereZombies

Face masks that make people think they are protected against coronavirus - wash your hands in warm water regularly, cover your mouth and nostrils when you cough and sneeze, bin tissues after use and keep your vitamin C level and health in general up with plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, exercise and so on.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 10:38 - Feb 13 with 4681 viewsclive_baker

Not sure if there was any opposition, but I learned recently that inter marital rape was legal in the UK until the 1990's. 90's! Mad.

Gambling advertising on TV will be banned at some point.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 10:57 - Feb 13 with 4636 viewsmonytowbray

Do you mean smoking indoors? Smoking in public is still allowed.

I'd add racial segregation and same sex marriage to that list. Although I don't think we had the same levels of segregation the USA had to my knowledge, I could be wrong.

It's okay though, we can bring all the madness back now we have Taken Back Control.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 11:01 - Feb 13 with 4623 viewsPecker

Gambling and Alcohol advertising.
Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 11:02 - Feb 13 with 4618 viewsBackToRussia

From 86 to 2003 you couldn't mention homosexuality in schools, by law. Good old Tories.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 11:19 - Feb 13 with 4531 viewshampstead_blue

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 10:27 - Feb 13 by footers

The monarchy.

I can't believe you said that!

;-)

Nobody would miss; botox, boob jobs, speed limits, religion, mayo, coleslaw, silly small plastic toys, those daft anti allergy dogs, budgies.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Login to get fewer ads

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 11:23 - Feb 13 with 4550 viewsOldsmoker

Marathon chocolate bars.
The ban didn't work as everyone just switched to the EU equivalent Snickers bars.
Another thing we can thank the EU for.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 11:31 - Feb 13 with 4531 viewsElephantintheRoom

A ban on TV advertising of cigarettes was one of the 8 awful EU laws that enraged Brexiteers we had to leave.

Penal colonies.... though the tories clearly believe Jamaica and Sudan still are

Slavery was rather popular long after Wilberforce made himself unpopular

Invading other people's countries and stealing their resources made us great

erm...

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 12:31 - Feb 13 with 4482 viewsHARRY10

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 10:38 - Feb 13 by clive_baker

Not sure if there was any opposition, but I learned recently that inter marital rape was legal in the UK until the 1990's. 90's! Mad.

Gambling advertising on TV will be banned at some point.

more a case that it could not be judged as rape

there are also certain laws in theis area that are not retained as a means to hoind folk over their areas but to ensure there is a law when needed

as with the upskirting law, which is more defined that someone being a 'public nuiscance'
Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 12:36 - Feb 13 with 4466 viewsHARRY10

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 12:31 - Feb 13 by HARRY10

more a case that it could not be judged as rape

there are also certain laws in theis area that are not retained as a means to hoind folk over their areas but to ensure there is a law when needed

as with the upskirting law, which is more defined that someone being a 'public nuiscance'

Corporal punishment in schools

Which attracted a load of reaction from the rightie still believethat there is nothing that cannot be sorted by a good thrashing

(see Basil Fawlty and car)
Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 12:40 - Feb 13 with 4455 viewsGeoffSentence

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 10:57 - Feb 13 by monytowbray

Do you mean smoking indoors? Smoking in public is still allowed.

I'd add racial segregation and same sex marriage to that list. Although I don't think we had the same levels of segregation the USA had to my knowledge, I could be wrong.

It's okay though, we can bring all the madness back now we have Taken Back Control.

yeah that was what I meant

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 12:50 - Feb 13 with 4422 viewsnoggin

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 10:29 - Feb 13 by WeWereZombies

Face masks that make people think they are protected against coronavirus - wash your hands in warm water regularly, cover your mouth and nostrils when you cough and sneeze, bin tissues after use and keep your vitamin C level and health in general up with plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, exercise and so on.

I might get a whoosh here but a face mask would protect you from the virus.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 14:30 - Feb 13 with 4351 viewsOxford_Blue

Smoking in public isn’t unlawful - just inside.

And why is this a good thing? If smokers want to go to a club’s smoking room, and smoke cigars after dinner, and the staff working there consent, why was this outlawed??
Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 14:48 - Feb 13 with 4330 viewsSwansea_Blue

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 14:30 - Feb 13 by Oxford_Blue

And why is this a good thing? If smokers want to go to a club’s smoking room, and smoke cigars after dinner, and the staff working there consent, why was this outlawed??

Smoking outside is unlawful in certain areas, in Wales. Areas around hospitals and schools and the like are covered. We’re pretty progressive over in this part of the world - the benefit of having a smaller government not susceptible to the same lobbying pressures as Westminster. They seem a bit less corrupt with fewer vested interests.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2020 14:52]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 14:54 - Feb 13 with 4311 viewsDarth_Koont

Neoliberalism

No evidence it works for anyone apart from the already rich. Who are also the ones lobbying for it and buying politicians and political power/favour.

Whenever you hear a free-market fanatic talking, follow the money to see who’s really got their hand up there operating them.

Pronouns: He/Him

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 15:13 - Feb 13 with 4277 viewsGeoffSentence

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 14:30 - Feb 13 by Oxford_Blue

Because even in that exceptionally specific and narrow scenario that you have presented a total ban means that the staff cannot be pushed, bullied or intimidated into consenting.

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 15:41 - Feb 13 with 4255 viewsNthQldITFC

Excessive moronic consumerism, greed, internal and external dishonesty, over-population, anthropocentricism - those'll do for a start.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 15:52 - Feb 13 with 4233 viewsWeWereZombies

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 12:50 - Feb 13 by noggin

I might get a whoosh here but a face mask would protect you from the virus.

The virus is smaller than the spaces between the material in a face mask so, no, a face mask does not protect you from coronavirus...unless you stop breathing in...

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 16:18 - Feb 13 with 4209 viewsPecker

I would say that the smoking ban went through pretty much unopposed. I was surprised it become law without much of a fight. Glad it did, but surprised.
Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 16:19 - Feb 13 with 4202 viewsnoggin

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 15:52 - Feb 13 by WeWereZombies

The virus is smaller than the spaces between the material in a face mask so, no, a face mask does not protect you from coronavirus...unless you stop breathing in...

I presume it depends on the mask. Of course those sold on ebay and Wish are unlikely to be of the highest quality. The virus is spread by droplets so a decent mask will stop it entering the airway.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2020 16:26]

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 16:30 - Feb 13 with 4172 viewsWeWereZombies

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 16:19 - Feb 13 by noggin

I presume it depends on the mask. Of course those sold on ebay and Wish are unlikely to be of the highest quality. The virus is spread by droplets so a decent mask will stop it entering the airway.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2020 16:26]

Not really, it's a case of false positive as no mask is going to have much effect but may lull the wearer into a mistaken sense of security. The precautions I listed are the ones being recommended by our health professionals:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51048366

https://www.england.nhs.uk/london/2020/02/03/coronavirus-public-information-camp

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 17:11 - Feb 13 with 4130 viewsnoggin

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 16:30 - Feb 13 by WeWereZombies

Not really, it's a case of false positive as no mask is going to have much effect but may lull the wearer into a mistaken sense of security. The precautions I listed are the ones being recommended by our health professionals:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51048366

https://www.england.nhs.uk/london/2020/02/03/coronavirus-public-information-camp

Well the WHO recommends wearing a mask so I’ll take their advice if I’m in contact with anyone infected.

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 17:18 - Feb 13 with 4111 viewsKropotkin123

Things that have been got rid of against much opposition on 10:29 - Feb 13 by WeWereZombies

"cover your mouth" - If only there was something you could use to cover your mouth, which isn't going to be used to touch everything else...

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024